As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    About the only place I don’t enjoy is izalith if I do the intended route.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The dragon asses of Izalith are hands down the weirdest thing in the game, maybe the series. Like why just the ass?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    The dragon asses of Izalith are hands down the weirdest thing in the game, maybe the series. Like why just the ass?

Well, you fight just the top half in Valley of the Drakes. In the thrilling conclusion you fight the bottom half.
    It's almost certainly just desperation to fill Lost Izalith with something before shipping the game.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Oh, Seath.

Your initial appearance was so, so rad.

You got soft. What happened, man?

tenor.gif

uyvfOQy.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Today I ended up sidetracked for a few hours when I found out that I had totally missed Archdragon Peak. From there, my obsessive side kicked in hard when I saw that I was a sliver of pixels worth of damage away from being able to one shot the Man Serpents with a heavy attack. This turned into a frenzied wave of souls farming on the Peak for a while until I was able to get the one shot. Of course, then I realized I was pretty close to hitting 66 Strength and that if I did that I could ditch that +5 Strength ring I was wearing and massively boost my defenses with the Ring of Steel Protection.

So, long story short the Nameless King is dead, I've got 66 Strength, and I look amazing in Dragonslayer Armor.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Do people mind discussion about Soulslikes here? I'm wondering whether anyone's given Ashen a try and formed an opinion on it yet.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I'd say go ahead.

I'm bringing up Nioh and I don't think there is a thread for that. But if people object we'll make our own Soulslike thread--with Backstabs and Health potions.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Ashen is a good dark souls with a lot of quality of life improvements like a jump button and a map and a quest log. I also like the aesthetic a lot, it's got a lot of style.

And it's hard as shit at some points if that's important to people.

Also no pvp, only co op.

Aistan on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Kamar wrote: »
    Do people mind discussion about Soulslikes here? I'm wondering whether anyone's given Ashen a try and formed an opinion on it yet.

While I doubt anybody minds, it's probably better as its own thread

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited December 2018
    Alright I'll go ahead and make a new thread.

Here we go currently adding more games.

Karoz on
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    They say that pride goeth before the fall. Apparently, I insulted the pride of Kingseeker Frampt and he decided to fall down a hole. Forever. :bigfrown:

Maxed out the Iaito and have laid claim to the four lord souls. I already knew the solution to Bed of Chaos, so it was all about learning how to execute it (they really should have stuck that bonfire closer). Nito was fun once I put on my heaviest armor, stood my ground and wailed on that motherfucker. I introduced Patches to the tip of my sword - they became best friends almost immediately.

I'm a sucker for wintery fantasy worlds E.g. Skyrim & Winterfell, so I was all about the Painted World. Still debating how much of a dick I want to be at the end of that area.

A fist ripped me through space and time! Artorias seems like the prototype for Bloodborne enemies, and it was fun getting incrementally better and better at that fight until the deed was done. About to pick up from that point. The merchant there seems like my kind of dirtbag.

Oh, one last thing:
    Shine on, you crazy diamond

zxhtrjbrdffk.jpg

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I rolled a new character to do a pyromancer run.

I. Love. Pyromancy.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I rolled a new character to do a pyromancer run.

I. Love. Pyromancy.

Even when I don’t play pyro, I invest enough to level up the gear and get Great Chaos Orb. It’s awesome to spring it on invaders midfight who aren’t expected you to suddenly start spitting magma.

Funny thing about this run. Went down to the Darkmoon tower because I’d never done it before, but also went in blind.

So I pissed off the dude in there, which in turn aggroed the Anor Londo firekeeper so I had to kill them.

Ten minutes after I’d kindled the bonfire to max level, using up all my humanity in the process :facepalm:

Which forced me to figure out how to beat O&S with only 5 flasks from the cathedral side room bonfire.

Something I did figure out though: when you homeward bone immediately after returning from the painted world, you go right to the main Anor Londo bonfire and get all the Estus Flasks you’d normally get, even if you’ve killed that fire keeper and ruined the bonfire.

knitdan wrote: »
    Funny thing about this run. Went down to the Darkmoon tower because I’d never done it before, but also went in blind.

So I pissed off the dude in there, which in turn aggroed the Anor Londo firekeeper so I had to kill them.

Ten minutes after I’d kindled the bonfire to max level, using up all my humanity in the process :facepalm:

Which forced me to figure out how to beat O&S with only 5 flasks from the cathedral side room bonfire.

Something I did figure out though: when you homeward bone immediately after returning from the painted world, you go right to the main Anor Londo bonfire and get all the Estus Flasks you’d normally get, even if you’ve killed that fire keeper and ruined the bonfire.

After you beat o&s you gain a special ability and when you use it the same thing happens. Basically the game checks for flask refills then checks to see if the keeper of there.

That’s interesting. Good to know.

I’ve beaten the game before so I know what happens after O&S fight, I just never happened to have the right conditions to open up the Darkmoon place.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Nameless King down in NG++ for the last ring and Platinum trophy. There was an Easy Button to beat this punk all along, that I didn’t realize existed back in NG and NG+. Namely,
    the Dragonslayer Greatshield upgraded to +4 can straight up block most of his attacks. He just bounces off, and then you wail on him during his slow recovery. I was absolutely floored by how much this trivializes the fight.

All in all, the buff to enemies in NG++ seems to mainly benefit the mobs. So I was a bit more careful when clearing out areas, but otherwise it was yet another cathartic, payback-is-a-bitch bonus boss rush.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Boom. That's four thrones occupied.

Aldrich question
    This was the same location used Smaug and Orenstein, right? I vaguely remember a big ol' lady on the vacated chaise longue upstairs

This callback has highlighted that I do understand anything about the setting.

Also Yorm the giant possibly wins the strangest boss award. A weapon that he is weak to is sitting by his throne but also it powers up in a way that nothing else I've come across does. That is a weird thing to have to work out. My onion knight died while I was figuring that out so I'm assuming that ends his plotline

Mojo_Jojo on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Aldrich question
    This was the same location used Smaug and Orenstein, right? I vaguely remember a big ol' lady on the vacated chaise longue upstairs

Also Yorm the giant possibly wins the strangest boss award. A weapon that he is weak to is sitting by his throne but also it powers up in a way that nothing else I've come across does. That is a weird thing to have to work out. My onion knight died while I was figuring that out so I'm assuming that ends his plotline
    That sword is a callback to Demon’s Souls so yeah it’s pretty weird in the context of Dark Souls.

Aldrich question

That sword is a callback to Demon’s Souls so yeah it’s pretty weird in the context of Dark Souls.

Also it does indeed end the questline.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    it actually doesn't matter what happens at that stage of the quest. quest is done either way, you get the same stuff either way

I seem to have found a secret area because it gave me an achievement for finding it
    Night time version of the area around the firelink shrine?! Maybe it's the future or an alternate reality where the fires just go out. Also some eyes for the firekeeper. She's not super happy about having eyes.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dark Souls takes ignorance being bliss very seriously.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I just finished a playthrough to do the DS3 DLC. Great theming.
    At the end of world, every thing crumbles to ash. But ash seekth embers.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I told myself I wouldn’t just dive right into another Souls game after DS3, but here I am starting out in Bloodborne. Getting to that first real shortcut in Yharnam, covered in the blood of countless enemies, was quite a relief. Now my hunter is decked out like a dashing highwayman, and wields an upgraded axe. I’m going back in later to check out a couple of branching drop-down paths.

Also, I got a laugh out of:
    (whispering) “Including the doll... if it pleases you.”
    Eeeewww...

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I told myself I wouldn’t just dive right into another Souls game after DS3, but here I am starting out in Bloodborne. Getting to that first real shortcut in Yharnam, covered in the blood of countless enemies, was quite a relief. Now my hunter is decked out like a dashing highwayman, and wields an upgraded axe. I’m going back in later to check out a couple of branching drop-down paths.

Eeeewww...

B Aggressive! B E Aggressive!

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Qanamil wrote: »

Eeeewww...

B Aggressive! B E Aggressive!

B!
    E!
    A!
    G!
    G!
    R!
    E!
    S!
    S!
    I!
    V!
    E!

Bloodborne (and much more recently RDR2) are the only games that really make me consider getting a PS4. I've enjoyed the shit of DS1, and only played a little (relatively) of DS2. Haven't played 3.

I'm probably gonna end up getting DS1 for the Switch, partially for portability and partially for presumably a more active playerbase. I came waaaayyy late to the Dark Souls party, and for better or worse I never really got involved in the online shenanigans of Covenants and whatnot.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Dark Souls Progress Update:
    8vstxxzrxuj9.jpg

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I suspect that like 90% of DS platinum trophies are wrapped up in that same zone looking for that same drop. The other 10% are at the giant blacksmith. :)

I suspect that like 90% of DS platinum trophies are wrapped up in that same zone looking for that same drop. The other 10% are at the giant blacksmith. :)

Mine was blacksmith, yup.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Giant Blacksmith here as well.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Congrats on the plat!

That reminds me that my DS2 plat is so close. Just need to get another 21 sunbro things.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    Babby!

Oh...you're a terrible father.

Where are you, Ocelotte?

edited January 2019
    The ringed city is doing a good job highlighting that I don't really understand what is going on with hollows in DS3

Mojo_Jojo on
    The ringer city is doing a good job highlighting thati don't really understand what is going on with hollows in DS3

It's mostly a throw back to Dark Souls 1's intro cinematic and overall lore.

Randomly there is some Dark Souls 2 level just so you can get the Desert Sorceress armor.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Strong humans that fought alongside the gods didn't go live wherever after the war, they live in the Ringed City. Whether this was to contain them as a threat or to allow them freedom beyond normal humans isn't entirely clear.

We also get pretty strong hints at what the Darksign really is.

So it's some neat lore.
    It's a brand to contain the dark on all humanity, not a curse that causes undeath. It glowing on undead is, perhaps, because the darkness in them is surging as the flame fades, making them immortal with its power.

Ash don't hollow out unless they take on the extra marks from the Church of Londor, so it's unclear whether they're given a pass on the curse because the situation is desperate, if the flame is so weak it doesn't effect them anymore without the extra sigils, or what.

Kamar on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Its a bit implied though,
    The brand is what started causing the berserking of humanity, which when proded by Kaathe who had his own agenda, is what caused the abyss to happen in the first place.

It's very understated, but dark isn't quite the same thing as the abyss. The abyss is dark rampaging, just as chaos is flame rampaging.

edited January 2019
    Which I think just reinforces why I like Dark Souls 2 Scholars lore the best.
    What does dark and light mean? Is it bad to give up this age of light? What does an age of dark entail? Is there something beyond these options that actually just trap us in a purgatorial cycle?

Alas Dark Souls 3 was very content to sweep all those questions under the rug, despite having the perfect final boss in response to them IMO.

Karoz on
This discussion has been closed.