As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    But when you absolutely, positively need to clear out a room full of Mooks, Cthulhu is your, um, man.

I don't find its DPS to be that efficient. Most of its massive AoEs (that I've seen) are Attack 1 and suffer whenever enemues have shielding. The real benefit comes from the statuses it throws around (and occasionally removes).

That class gets a pretty substantial buff-up from items, particularly the bow and power potions. It's one of the most-noticeably affected by inventory classes in the game ime.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Cthulhu was even more powerful in the 1st Edition, from what I've read, and was substantially nerfed for the second edition.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I have 1E...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It still seems pretty strong, but I'm deliberately choosing the not-quite-as-strong option. Spoilers for this and musical note:
    That is to say, focusing on poison instead of curses. Our Soothsinger already went heavy on curse, and it was fun enough, but made scenarios a bit trivial when a third of the monster deck was whiffs, and we had all the blesses as well.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Tinkerer Lv.5 ability question
    Can Disintegration Beam kill obstacles with HP? We were in a scenario where we had to defeat obstacles with HP. And in the FAQ it says obstacles with HP are considered enemies. Just looking for clarification on the kill ability.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    People were talking earlier about good early gear. I always felt the Iron Helmet was a crazy good early item.
    Crits become really nasty for low hp characters, like the mindthief, who's HP doesn't really scale with enemies.

VayBJ4e.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    People were talking earlier about good early gear. I always felt the Iron Helmet was a crazy good early item.
    Crits become really nasty for low hp characters, like the mindthief, who's HP doesn't really scale with enemies.

I have never owned an Iron Helmet because the married couple in my playgroup is dead-sure they need them at all times, no matter which character they're on.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I have never owned an Iron Helmet because the married couple in my playgroup is dead-sure they need them at all times, no matter which character they're on.

There’s a joke here about always using protection ...

Elvenshae wrote: »

There’s a joke here about always using protection ...

There is, but I don't have it ready to hand. Thankfully both classes I've played til now had substantial HP and deck sizes, so I've been able to pursue alternate solutions to the problem.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Since you can ditch a card to avoid a Critical Hit, I never found the Helmet to be all that necessary. I'd rather use my head slot for the Eagle Eye Googles.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Since you can ditch a card to avoid a Critical Hit, I never found the Helmet to be all that necessary. I'd rather use my head slot for the Eagle Eye Googles.

I think specifically on the MT the Helmet makes a lot of sense. Goggles shine when they can buff a big AoE or a single big attack that Must Not Miss (scoundrel stealthed backstab for example). MT doesn't make the best use out of it, and it's nice to be able to absorb that one random ranged attack that simply can't be avoided without worrying about a crit taking you to zero.

Welp, after a surprisingly lengthy series of near-misses we finally encountered a scenario that dealt us a failure after what seems like ages (Scenario 4, I think). The Oozing Grove is some BS and we will not be returning with our present party configuration.

On the plus side, our player on the "watch your friends die" personal quest was finally able to make some progress.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    From what I've heard, it's pretty much the hardest mission in the game. We barely, barely scraped through.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    The only thing worse than elite oozes is THREE SPAWN POINTS for elite oozes.

I almost wonder if that mission would be easier with fewer players.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited November 2018
    Rebounded from last week's demoralizing scenario with a quick ROFLstomp of some ruins. One-shotting an elite Stone Golem in the first room with my Eclipse's new L6 ability saved us a TON of time. 15 hp, shield 3? Nah — I'll pass, thanks.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited November 2018
    Half of our group wasn't able to make it out this week, so with their permission the other guy and I decided to take on Oozing Grove again as a duo.

We failed twice. That scenario is trash. These two were probably our best shot at completing it — we very nearly succeeded on run 2 but I couldn't close the deal against the last Ooze before exhausting, and that was after a very lucky combination of invisibility and the oozes dividing themselves to death.

Having satisfied this curiosity, we will not be coming back to this scenario until at least one of us retires, maybe more.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Our group completed Scenario 10 last night, so we have a heck of a choice ahead of us.
    Given the way our band's been acting, we're probably going to end up fighting the demon lord. This would be a good time to do it, since our Scoundrel just finished her personal quest and if we go back to town she'll retire.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    @Bursar
    IIRC you'll lose the chance to fight him later on in the other binary he appears in by doing so, but I believe if you're doing the one where you invade his house to beat him up, it actually does have the best loot, so...

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    I deliberately cheesed that Oozing Grove scenario with the lightning bolt class.
    I don’t remember all the specific actions, but it involved one shotting the A tree with her “reduce health to 1 and deal that much damage” attack first turn and then killing the B tree with “deal damage equal to life lost” the next, while using the cloak of invisibility I’d bought just for that scenario to keep her alive in between. Meanwhile the other character just bee lined for the C tree and wailed on it. The trees never got a chance to spawn any oozes, and we teamed up on the starting ooze in the middle.

I still had to restart more than once because of those damn forest imps and their curses.

Bolt's one of the classes we don't have but I wonder how amusing it would be to make, say, a party of L1s just to take that on. With 2P the primary targets would only have, what, 8hp?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    @Bursar
    IIRC you'll lose the chance to fight him later on in the other binary he appears in by doing so, but I believe if you're doing the one where you invade his house to beat him up, it actually does have the best loot, so...

I'm not sure if this is the mission you're referring to,but I'm not going look it up.

Post Scenario 10 spoiler
    We jumped into the magic hole because "why bother someone else about it?" (Actually, one player had the "kill one of every type of demon" PQ and was really itching to jump in there to kill himself a Sun Demon to finish it)

We didn't invade the demon lord's house; after the fight the demon invited us in and basically said we were the perfect combination of strong enough to fight and dumb enough to do this that made him want to give us a job. Immediately trying to beat him up for it is in our character.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    My group had a few unlocks this weekend. Originally i played the mindthief, and did a primo job dealing damage until he retired and unlocked the triforce, which i wasnt crazy about so i played spellweaver, luckily i got an easy unlock personal quest, and unlocked it at the end of our game the week before.

Now a little backstory. My mindthief was awesome. I mean between his own invis and a cloak of invis, he was doing some serious work and barely getting touched...yet the tinkerer in the group kept giving me so much shit just cause i was a "Vermling" (Stupid biggies cant even pronouce our racial name correctly).
    So when i opened up the two-mini class. I started laughing and declared i was playing it without knowing jack about it.

Then at the end of the scenario that night (where yes, i was again awesome), we unlocked the sun class. One of our party members has been playing the craigheart and hes getting a bit sick of it so hes going to switch to Sun, which looks interesting.

I love dis game.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Two-boxes is a great tank. My solitaire campaign is Cthulhu, Sun, and Two-boxes, with Two-boxes swapping out for the Archer.

Had a good session tonight as we investigated the Ancient Cistern. It was touch and go for a bit, but my character's ability to turn invisible once again bought us the time we needed to achieve our goal — but not before two and a half of us had exhausted. The endgame on that one is rough. As a result of our effort (and a follow-up event), we finally reached a +10 reputation and unlocked the Sun class! We're also on the doorstep to Prosperity 5, although until we figure out how to crack the Oozing Grove that isn't going to do everything we want it to...

Amusingly, we now have three available classes sitting on the bench (Tinkerer, Spellweaver, and Sun). I'm even more tempted to roll up a "B-Team" to maybe sneak in there at a lower level than the main squad. The Sun class certainly looks like she can take that one on better than most of our current group!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Just successfully retired our first character (mindthief).

Opened the Achievement envelope and planning to sell my stuff to augment cards.
    Do you all know if the 1 prosperity gained is a little tick, or a level of prosperity? I'm guessing the former.

VayBJ4e.png
    Yeah always just one checkbox.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    We had a crushing loss at the Shrine of Strength because I misread the setup and we ending up fighting the 3 player version with only 2 characters. We honestly did pretty well through there are certain mechanics that the mind thief and the 2 mini class can't deal with effectively on our own.
    The harrower infesters with their retaliate 3 really messed up us. The 2 mini class has a lot of multiple melee attacks and my mind thief relies on stunlocking enemies to stay alive. Neither of those approaches can easily deal with retaliate and we also had to deal with additional retaliate from the frost daemons. Retaliate sucks.

I was at my FLGS later picking up a white elephant gift and I saw another group playing Gloomhaven. It was really cool that I could recognize what senario they were on and we had shared experienced to discuss as if we were playing together in a giant D&D campaign.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    Last night our group got nearly rocked in the face, but pulled through at the last moment.
    Scenario 22 spoilers:
    The cultists were pathetically easy, and never even got to summon any skeletons. One was just about to, and doing so would have killed him (which we were going to roleplay as him gutting himself and a newborn Living Bones climbing out of his own corpse), but we put him down before it could happen.

The demons, though... Whew. A pair of Wind Demons with those buffs are just unfair. They caused our new Brute to flee in Exhaustion and reduced the Cragheart to just a couple of turns' worth of cards. We were all prepared to fail this mission and give it another go next week, but decided to push open the last doors just to see what's behind them. However, the Cragheart suicide-dived into the Earth Demon room and gave the altar a whack before also succumbing to Exhaustion, and our last two characters, Spellweaver and Tinkerer, had to face the Flame Demons and the Earth Demons on their own. With a last-ditch piercing bow use and a Jump, the final altars were just barely destroyed and we pilfered a horrible artifact. Hooray!

This mission finished the Personal Quest for both my character (Cragheart) and of my GF's character (Spellweaver). The two of them retired into the sunset together, which we find endearing.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    This is the next scenario we're going to run, now that we've found the second reason to care about it. (After having told the first reason to go back to hell.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Last night our group got nearly rocked in the face, but pulled through at the last moment.
    Scenario 22 spoilers:
    The cultists were pathetically easy, and never even got to summon any skeletons. One was just about to, and doing so would have killed him (which we were going to roleplay as him gutting himself and a newborn Living Bones climbing out of his own corpse), but we put him down before it could happen.

The demons, though... Whew. A pair of Wind Demons with those buffs are just unfair. They caused our new Brute to flee in Exhaustion and reduced the Cragheart to just a couple of turns' worth of cards. We were all prepared to fail this mission and give it another go next week, but decided to push open the last doors just to see what's behind them. However, the Cragheart suicide-dived into the Earth Demon room and gave the altar a whack before also succumbing to Exhaustion, and our last two characters, Spellweaver and Tinkerer, had to face the Flame Demons and the Earth Demons on their own. With a last-ditch piercing bow use and a Jump, the final altars were just barely destroyed and we pilfered a horrible artifact. Hooray!

This mission finished the Personal Quest for both my character (Cragheart) and of my GF's character (Spellweaver). The two of them retired into the sunset together, which we find endearing.

Scenario 22 spoilers
    I've seen two groups go through this scenario now and layout is really a trap. You really want to open the more distant rooms of the central area as there's only 1 daemon in those rooms and they are types that don't gain that much from buffs. Trying to deal with 2 fast moving earth daemons or 2 wind daemons with +4 hps to go with their already massive shields is a major pain compared to the single spawns of the other daemon types. We opened the wind daemon room first and nearly lost the scenario because we couldn't get through their fields for more than 1-2 damage which meant we took forever and spent a lot of resources on that room. We won in the end but it was really close as gloomhaven can be sometimes.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    Korror wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »
    Scenario 22 spoilers:

Scenario 22 spoilers
    I've seen two groups go through this scenario now and layout is really a trap. You really want to open the more distant rooms of the central area as there's only 1 daemon in those rooms and they are types that don't gain that much from buffs. Trying to deal with 2 fast moving earth daemons or 2 wind daemons with +4 hps to go with their already massive shields is a major pain compared to the single spawns of the other daemon types. We opened the wind daemon room first and nearly lost the scenario because we couldn't get through their fields for more than 1-2 damage which meant we took forever and spent a lot of resources on that room. We won in the end but it was really close as gloomhaven can be sometimes.

Continued Scenario 22 discussion
    That sounds exactly like what we did, but with 4P there's two of each type anyway. We went for the farthest doors and opened the one on the Frost Demons first. Our Tinkerer went invisible in the doorway, then quite literally melted them both with a single flamethrower action. Seeing this, the two heavy-hitters said, "Oh, okay, you've got that locked down, we'll go over to the other rooms..." and opened up the Wind Demons' door.

These jerks drew a card that was something like Attack 2(+4) / Range 3(+2) / Push 3 / Target 2, so the moment we opened the door these things blew us all the way back across the room from Range 5 for 6+card damage, twice. Then, when we closed into range to start hitting them, they drew a Shield 3 card. Just ridiculous.

That's when we nearly gave up, but the Tinkerer has a PQ for seeing team members get Exhausted, and was still saying, "No, let's see how this plays out." So we played it out, and managed to win. What a tense session!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited December 2018
    One of our party needed a sick day today.

The rest of us decided it was time to put the Oozing Grove to rest.

We made three new L4 characters (Sun, Spellweaver, and Scoundrel)* and sent them into the now-L2 scenario.

It was a bloodbath. We were just totally annihilated.

We reset and set the game to "Easy" mode and L1. The oozes divided themselves to death and we were finally victorious.

*shrug emoji*

Whatever. It's done. Let us never speak of it again.

Since our session next week will be pre-empted for holiday reasons, we have decided to try to meet earlier on New Year's Day to knock out several scenarios in a row. Should be fun!

*Fortunately at this point we were able to preferentially select Personal Quests that lead to characters we've already unlocked so nothing new will be lost except the Sun class, who will be used again when the need arises. I was not enthused by the Spellweaver, though.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Aww yiss, we got The Power of Enhancement. My Scoundrel's body is ready!

Fry wrote: »

But is her coinpurse? I find enhancing to be prohibitively expensive.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    After having finished our fifth scenario, I'm confident in saying that I love this dang game. I'm sad it's taken me this long to get it to the table, but it seems like I've finally found a group willing to be consistent enough to play.

The only issue I'm having is that we get through 1 scenario / session, and meet every 2 weeks. So, it looks like this group will take ~4 years to finish the campaign.

I've suggested using Gloomhaven Helper for monster tracking, and it got shot down. I've suggested setting up scenarios ahead of time, got shot down. I suggested we split up responsibilities, got shut down. Suggested box organizers, got shut down (owner of the copy we're using wants to make his own).

Shrug. I love all the guys I'm playing with, I just wish they wanted to get through more than 1 scenario a session.

I did get to play through scenario #2 with my girlfriend last night, and we used Gloomhaven Helper on my laptop and on our 2 phones, and it was amazing. The table clutter is cut *way* down, it still feels 100% like a board game and not like people playing around on their phone, and a lot of the fiddly tracking bits are just completely and totally fixed. I have a few little issues I couldn't figure out initially, but I'm sure some googling will fix it for me. Now to convince my other group to just let me run the game with the app one time (lol).

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
    Yeah anyone nay-saying GH hasn't used it. My group uses a mix. I run everything on my phone, but we still have the physical references for monsters and their attacks for easier reference (we haven't tried syncing phones but this feels easier). They also keep track of their own hp.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »

But is her coinpurse? I find enhancing to be prohibitively expensive.

Kinda! Collecting loot seems to be something my Scoundrel is very good at. I already have more items than slots to equip them in, and thanks to the treasure chest I picked up during the scenario where we unlocked enhancements, I've already got enough gold to get an Attack +1 if I want. If I hadn't been throwing my gold away on blessings for the last several missions, I'd be pretty close to two Attack +1s or getting close to a multitarget Curse or something.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I've only played GH in the table top simulator app but I wouldn't be surprised if the GH app helped with that too.

edited January 2019

Completed Scenarios 22 (barely... we totally opened the wrong doors first*), 17 (in a casual replay to rustle up some gold; allowed our Chtulhu-face to retire and unlock the Spears), and 6 (which we had been ignoring forever). We put 6 out of its misery largely to get our new Scoundrel super close to retirement (she needs to axe some undead) and my Eclipse will likely retire next week as a result of our successes this week. Gonna miss this thing and it's entirely possible that Notes won't be my bag so maybe I just re-roll another Eclipse anyway? We'll see.

Started with the Fire Demons, then opened the Wind Demons with the other half of our party. That was ugly until we got things under control.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Played a 2nd campaign of Gloomhaven with a group of friends during New Years and we came across an ability question between these two classes...
    Brute LV1. Provoking Roar (bottom)
    Cragheart Lv1. Opposing Strike (bottom)

If the Brute does Provoking Roar next to the Cragheart and the Cragheart does Opposing Strike in the same round and the Cragheart gets hit, does he gain Retaliate? Or does it not since Brute receives the damage.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png