As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Free Starlink update coming tomorrow.
    – NEW ENEMY UNITS – All planets of the Atlas star system will receive brand new enemy types, introducing unique gameplay mechanics and encouraging players to adopt new strategies.
    – NEW ACTIVITY – Outlaw fortifications will appear all over Atlas for players to take down. This new activity will provide loot and experience upon completion.
    – PHOTO MODE – Players will be able to capture the favorite moments of their journey throughout Atlas and express their creativity with several tools to personalize their shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF5S-96HB88

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I looked up its reviews and they were mediocre. They said it was fun but utterly devoid of challenge and way too short. So I don't know if I'll be getting it.

You don't go into Donut County looking for a challenge, you go into Donut County looking to have the pants charmed off you.

There's no shortage of charming games with shallow and/or unsatisfying gameplay.

Oh yeah? Name forty.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I looked up its reviews and they were mediocre. They said it was fun but utterly devoid of challenge and way too short. So I don't know if I'll be getting it.

You don't go into Donut County looking for a challenge, you go into Donut County looking to have the pants charmed off you.

There's no shortage of charming games with shallow and/or unsatisfying gameplay.

Oh yeah? Name forty.

Don't worry @Dirty, I got you covered.

Ahem...

@forty

BOO-YAH!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I will drop a few though. Just for fun.

Night in the Woods
    Oxenfree
    Kirby: Star Allies

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Oh yeah? Name forty.

That I've played? Kingdom, Kingsway, Kingdoms and Castles, Holy Potatoes! All of them?!, Necropolis: Brutal Edition, Knights of Pen and Paper. I feel like every month somehow, someway, these rather uninspired games that keep aping the same patent pending "charm" as a dozen other games just keep accumulating in my steam or gog account. Humble Monthly dumps, freebies, giveaways, a few I bought because I thought they looked cool and was tragically underwhelmed.

I mean jeeze, there is a Steam sale right now. Push your way through the suggestions queue, you'll see 40, easily.

Although I will say, at least Donut County ends before it's charm wears off. It has the decency to go out on a high note after about 60-90 minutes. I cannot say the same of others. I dare say it even left me wanting more, even if more would have only exposed how shallow it is.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Night in the Woods
    Oxenfree

Those were all awesome.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Night in the Woods has some extremely good writing. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I love all of the Artifex Mundi Hidden Object games, but I wouldn't say they're filled to the brim with difficult puzzles or compelling gameplay.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Night in the Woods
    Oxenfree

Every Kirby game. There’s at least forty, right?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Night in the Woods has some extremely good writing. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Then it should have been an animated feature or mini series.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I, for one, enjoy charming games with shallow gameplay. Sometimes I spend 8 hours at work, 1 hour driving, 2 hours arguing with my kids... I don't want to think. I want to play a game that will make me smile.

I dunno maybe I am weird.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I, for one, enjoy charming games with shallow gameplay. Sometimes I spend 8 hours at work, 1 hour driving, 2 hours arguing with my kids... I don't want to think. I want to play a game that will make me smile.

Nope. That's why Stardew Valley is so popular. Katamari does it for me too. I'd really like some more "zen" games. There was a game on xbla a million years ago called Every Extend Extra Extreme. That was a really "zone out" game that was super satisfying. I've never been able to find a replacement for it. I think I could really get in to a "classic" Tetris thing, but sadly only the PS4 gets that :( (the puyo puyo is too... bright and saturated for me) Lumines could have been too, but it's just too seizure inducing also.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for Donut County on my phone.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I bought myself Night in the Woods as part of my anniversary present this year, really should make time to play that over the holidays.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options

But those aren't REAL GAMES harglebarglebargle

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Going off the odds, I mean you probably ARE weird, but not for this reason. This is just "Got shit going on". I have a list of games I play that are basically meditation/electronic worry stone kinds of things. Just engaging enough to require some focus, not so engaging that I can't relax, and just challenging enough to require me to be present in the experience.

I think of them as "games that just want to play with you".

• Options
    I'm not saying every game needs to be Dark Souljas, but you can make a game that's relaxing and charming and still bring some darn gameplay. Like Katamari, for example.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Aw man, my ethernet dongle died or something... When I plug it into the dock, it comes on for a second and then just shuts off. Stuck with WiFi only now, so instead of like 20 minutes to download Diablo III it's going to take an hour and 36 minutes =/ That's fine, I didn't want to play it tonight anyway.

I did. I did want to play it tonight.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I got a used dongle from gamestop that was busted in exactly the same way.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Been playing firewatch for a bit. Really good game with fantastic storytelling. Graphically it feels slightly dated, and lack of freedom of movement, while justified and understandable for this game, does feel a bit jarring compared to breath of the wild.

• Options
    God, Diablo never ceases to be addictively supreme... It finished downloaded at midnight, and I stupidly decided to try it out for a second. "A second". Started up a seasonal Crusader in Adventure mode, and kept doing "just one more bounty" until 2AM... ugh.

The game drains the Switch's battery like a mother fucker, though. Goodness!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Don't get too attached to a seasonal character, the season ends pretty soon! I think like Jan 6?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ah frick... I probably should've checked that.

• Options
    I would be remiss if I didn't mention the latest eShop sale which has a whole slew of stuff on sale and is possibly why Skull2185 got Diablo, which is $20 off.

One of the games on sale is Drawful 2, one of the Jackbox games but sold individually because it was one of their more popular games. Half off to $5 and completely worth it. Every player is told to draw something silly like "cow ballet" and every other player has to try to guess what they were told to draw, and then determine which answer is the correct one.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Yeah, the sale price + my saved up coins made Diablo too tempting to pass up. I miss my paragon levels and stuff, though. I'm not used to being so weak... A treasure goblin got away. Unacceptable!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Yeah, the sale price + my saved up coins made Diablo too tempting to pass up. I miss my paragon levels and stuff, though. I'm not used to being so weak... A treasure goblin got away. Unacceptable!

Speaking of which I got my Treasure Goblin amiibo last night. I should give it a shot!

• Options
    I know this is the Switch thread and not the Diablo thread but don't forget about the Darkening of Tristram event coming real soon in January! I'm excited to try that.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    God damn it finding different names for all the treasure goblins was a nice work out.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just grabbed Thumper in the sale. This is very ominous feeling for a rhythm game!

Seems like the whole game is gonna be one long song maybe?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ah frick... I probably should've checked that.

I want to clarify: Your season character won't go away, they just get converted to a regular mode character automatically when the season ends. You won't lose anything.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    Been playing firewatch for a bit. Really good game with fantastic storytelling. Graphically it feels slightly dated, and lack of freedom of movement, while justified and understandable for this game, does feel a bit jarring compared to breath of the wild.

I think this is the first time I've heard someone compare Firewatch to Zelda.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Picked up Okami and Battle Chasers: Nightwar because I had an RPG craving.

That should keep me busy while I'm away for the holidays.

Edit: I know Okami isn't an RPG, but I just love that cute puppo and the world is so charming.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Then it should have been an animated feature or mini series.

Except interactivity adds to the experience, as it does for stuff like Undertale and the like. So, basically, "No U" right back at you.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Yeah it is a very different experience from an animated feature. You get to choose where to go and who to talk to next. You'll probably miss a lot of mundane but interesting conversations. Ones that might've been cut for time from an animation due to their non-critical nature. And you get to choose how to reply to tons of conversations, and play various minigames. There's so much about games like that which necessitate being a game.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    There's a particular vignette in What Remains of Edith Finch that I think is the silver bullet to the argument that "games with good writing can just be films and achieve the same impact".

You know which one I'm talking about if you've played the game. It hits HARD, and probably the only reason it hits so hard is because of the nature of the medium in which the story is being told.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    I may be biased in all this, as the initial release of Donut County helped me recenter myself during the stressful time I was laid off and looking for another job. Not only was the writing and aesthetics charming, but I was able to do charming things to the environment that focused me and stayed with me better than if I was just watching something on Netflix (and getting distracted). Plus it lightened me up enough to nail an interview and finally get a good new job.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For me, everything sort of exists on a massive variable 3-way scale. Story/Gameplay/Price. Ideally everything will be balanced. But it can also be weighted to the extremes at times. I'll play a gameplay with a dumb as dirt story if the gameplay is amazing. I'll slog through gameplay that will infuriate me (or no gameplay at all) if the story is exceptional. And I'll forgive a middling story and gameplay if I'm only out of pocket 5 bucks.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah it is a very different experience from an animated feature. You get to choose where to go and who to talk to next. You'll probably miss a lot of mundane but interesting conversations. Ones that might've been cut for time from an animation due to their non-critical nature. And you get to choose how to reply to tons of conversations, and play various minigames. There's so much about games like that which necessitate being a game.

A lot of people have made a (somewhat valid) criticism of Hideo Kojima, that he clearly wanted to direct movies, but had to "settle" for games, and often made the game part suit the interests of the movie part, even if it was detrimental to the game. I do think there are a lot of creators turning to games because of the (somewhat valid) view that there is a lower bar for writing. In the end, it results in games where they clearly care more about the narrative than any other aspect, and the bare minimum of interactivity is shoehorned in. I have "played" and enjoyed some games that are like that, but I've never really felt like the (limited) interactive elements ever really enhanced it. It felt like they were working backwards, like "What can we do to make this story into a game? Add some dialog choices? Make the player walk around between conversations?"

• Options
    edited December 2018

A lot of people have made a (somewhat valid) criticism of Hideo Kojima, that he clearly wanted to direct movies, but had to "settle" for games, and often made the game part suit the interests of the movie part, even if it was detrimental to the game. I do think there are a lot of creators turning to games because of the (somewhat valid) view that there is a lower bar for writing. In the end, it results in games where they clearly care more about the narrative than any other aspect, and the bare minimum of interactivity is shoehorned in. I have "played" and enjoyed some games that are like that, but I've never really felt like the (limited) interactive elements ever really enhanced it. It felt like they were working backwards, like "What can we do to make this story into a game? Add some dialog choices? Make the player walk around between conversations?"

I have not seen any evidence of any creator saying "I really wanted to make movies but I am forced to make video games instead." Instead what I keep seeing is things along the lines of "I love video games, and would like to help elevate them and give them storylines and cutscenes as good as film." It's important not to confuse the two. Someone wanting to make a game more filmic doesn't at heart want to make movies instead, any more than a person who wants to make games more literary wants to write novels instead. Making a well-written game is magnitudes more difficult and expensive than writing a book. Both of those people still chose to make a game. It's presumptuous to put words in their mouth about what they really wanted to do before "settling" on gaming.

And people who really want to make movies can just...make movies. Yeah it can be expensive but you start at the microbudget level and work your way up. It's actually not that difficult to find a distributor and start getting your name out there, like how so many now-famous directors started out.

Games that seem like a movie and have minimal interactivity are just examples of people pushing the medium in extreme directions and being experimental, like has happened in all entertainment mediums. Make it more like a film, more like a book, more like an interactive art piece you'd frame and put on the wall, more like a board game, more like a music tool.

I'm not going to accuse the creators of Electroplankton of ulterior motives of wanting to make a synthesizer but failing to be competitive in that area and resorting to making a video game even though they clearly didn't want to.

UncleSporky on