As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] Multiplayer Treachery Engine - Citadel Patch (April 2016)

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    o7 old friend

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    trying to be optimistic about this, but at the end of the day, you don't pay half a billion dollars for a company whose only product is a game almost nobody plays without wanting to either change that game, or harvest the studio for what talent it has

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Time to turn off my recurring subscription off as a precaution.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Wait wut? CCP got bought by someone? What is this talk.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, CCP was purchased by the Black Desert Online developer Pearl Abyss. If BDO is anything to go by we'll eventually see EVE go very heavily P2W (if you don't already consider PLEX + skill extractors pretty P2Wny).

Sounds to me like the CCP execs realized EVE had probably hit it's ceiling, combined with several failed game projects, and decided to get out while the getting was good. EVE still offers something that no other MMO really does in terms of massive wars with consequence, political intrigue, backstabbing, real economics and trade, etc. That said EVE can barely stand under it's own weight with some very poor early server design decisions that are compounded by 15 years of development and the lack of cash to actually re-architect the servers the way they need to be.

It will be very interesting to see what Pearl Abyss does, but I can't imagine EVE staying as is today. It has a very dedicated player base but that player base is very stagnant. It's server software is held together with spit and tape and could fall over at any time. The current player base and cash flow don't justify the amount of work the server software requires to be stable and support massive player content. So either the game has to change such that it attracts a TON of new players, or the existing players would have to be squeezed for even more money to justify the costs.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    That's pretty bleak talk. Kinda sad, I have fond memories of Eve.

• Options
    on the gameplay side of things, i've been sort of taking a break from PVP for about a month but got back in the swing of things tonight

the main reason for the break is that the Min/Amarr warzone is really lame right now, with Minmatar on the brink of Tier 5, Amarr forces are heavily concentrated making it hard to get small scale engagements that a solo or duo can actually win

but i got lucky and got two great 3v1's against my favorite cruiser fit, including this one

https://br.inyour.space/?s=2980&b=8248500&e=90&t=r

I warped in on two comets, and then a worm jumped in immediately for backup. I have about a 650EHP tank and they dish out prooooobably around 800DPS

it took pretty much every resource I had to survive long enough to break their peak damage and mop up the grid

The Rupture is good. The Rupture is very underrated as an autocannon boat.

• Options
    trevis2trevis2 Registered User new member
    Is it worth to come back to EVE Online right now?

• Options
    i think so. at least to enjoy it while it lasts.

nothing has changed: yet

just dont go and buy like a year supply of anything

• Options
    CCP did an AMA on their forums today, I read most of it... they're reasonably transparent by game company standards, or at least good at seeming transparent

They seem very excited for it. I will decode their corporate-speak and paraphrase their take as follows.. (note this doesn't indicate I endorse or believe this view, but this is what I think they are trying to say but aren't allowed to be so direct about)
    This sale is good for EVE. If you think CCP was "in control" of EVE before today, you were delusional.

Before PA, we were owned by a diverse cabal of investors who did not give a discount shit about whether EVE lived or died, as long as they got their cut. They would have sold us to ISIS if they thought the price was right. Some of the things you criticized us for in the past *cough* VR *cough* were the direct result of our relationship with the previous ownership group.

Now we are owned by a company that understands and respects our product for what it is. We are profitable, and healthy, as-is, which is why this was the best time to sell. There's no urgency, there are no problems, we made this deal from a position of strength specifically to insure the future of the game.

• Options
    If you're really worried, EVE has alpha accounts which are free and let you do enough stuff to see if committing further is for you.

• Options
    On the plus side, this crystallised my decision to switch to Linux. Getting EVE to work on it was the only thing that I was worried about, now I'm all 'let the chips fall where they may'.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    On the plus side, this crystallised my decision to switch to Linux. Getting EVE to work on it was the only thing that I was worried about, now I'm all 'let the chips fall where they may'.

Good thing it works swimmingly. There's even a client now.

Eve has always been very Linux friendly.

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    CCP did an AMA on their forums today, I read most of it... they're reasonably transparent by game company standards, or at least good at seeming transparent

They seem very excited for it. I will decode their corporate-speak and paraphrase their take as follows.. (note this doesn't indicate I endorse or believe this view, but this is what I think they are trying to say but aren't allowed to be so direct about)
    This sale is good for EVE. If you think CCP was "in control" of EVE before today, you were delusional.

Before PA, we were owned by a diverse cabal of investors who did not give a discount shit about whether EVE lived or died, as long as they got their cut. They would have sold us to ISIS if they thought the price was right. Some of the things you criticized us for in the past *cough* VR *cough* were the direct result of our relationship with the previous ownership group.

Now we are owned by a company that understands and respects our product for what it is. We are profitable, and healthy, as-is, which is why this was the best time to sell. There's no urgency, there are no problems, we made this deal from a position of strength specifically to insure the future of the game.

Thank you for the summary, I'm less worried now.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    CCP Falcon was on the Meta Show today. Aryth, who is on the CSM, talked about talking to CCP's CEO while they were at the CSM summit and he seemed very positive about it. CCP Falcon said all the right things and Aryth says the CCP CEO seemed very forthcoming and honest about the fact that Pearl Abyss has told them to just keep doing what they are doing. According to them the only real change is that they can now do some longer term planning and build a more robust roadmap without being in a "trying to find a buyer" mode, which they have been in for a while I understand.

I still have reservations, but after hearing Falcon and Aryth today I feel better about it. The proof will be in the actions not the words, but so far the words I've heard have been the right ones.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    pretty sure i fought a group of vexors tonight that were exploiting by using pre-nerf fits. is this against the rules?

I can't find any combination of implants that permit them as much PG as they were using. I have multiple KMs from them with the same fit, so I don't think it's a bug/corrupted killmail

I am left only to assume that they just fit up a fuckton of Vexors before they got nerfed and are coasting on them

So instead of taking a fight against the new, shitty vexors with the 30kEHP tank, I got the old, ridiculous vexors with the 42kEHP that could still fit a DDA to boot

space is fun sometimes, i say as i mash my head against my keyboard

• Options
    edited September 2018
    V1m wrote: »

Good thing it works swimmingly. There's even a client now.

Eve has always been very Linux friendly.

hoo boy nope

It's been a struggle, so far unsuccessful. If you have any advice on how to deal with the launcher not offering the option to pin accounts, then when I want log into it, spawning a new window with the acc/pw entries, which then whitescreens when I log in, I'm all ears.

Ubuntu 18.04
    1060 GTX
    Ryzen 2700

EDIT: I have tried all the permutations of the in-launcher options; force Dx9 mode, hardware rendering, dev WINE options, &c.

V1m on
  • Options
    Are you using the "official" native Linux launcher?

It's possible a recent patch broke it, but I had none of the problems you're describing as recently as four months ago.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Yes

EDIT: A linux-savvy corpie rescued me. The answer was to force the launcher to a dev copy over overwriting a couple of files, creating an account config file, getting my accounts pinned to the launcher (that being the point of failure before), restarting the launcher twice without letting it update, then letting it revert to the Release version.

All's well that ends well. I still think I'll let PA demonstrate their bona fides before investing more of my own money though.

V1m on
  • Options
    qa49cdycd0n11.jpg

• Options
    i spent 400 million isk on mutaplasmids today to make an Extremely Dank Punisher (i'm recording a video)

the value and efficacy of mutaplasmids are strikingly unbalanced to me... im not talking about the power of the mods they create, but the capacity of the plasmid to actually produce something useful in and of itself

this is at least pertaining to the Decayed ones (aka the cheap ones)

my review of ones I've invested in

Decayed Warp Scrambler Plasmid - These things suck. They cost at least 2 mill a piece. Their best possible roll still massively increases the cap drain of the module, and I think at best it gets an extra 800 meters of range. Unless you fly a ship that is specifically bonused to scram range, there's no reason to ever use these... yeah... pretty confident in that

My Grade: F-

Decayed 5MN MWD - Surprisingly decent... but part of it is perspective. There's a lot of ways to make a MWD useful, and the bad rolls aren't TOO harsh. You might get a bad cap usage roll, but get a great speed/sig bonus, so it can be used effectively on an inty... or maybe just get a weak roll in general but still a great sig.. perhaps a Talwar could use it. The big downside is that they're obscenely expensive. Minimum 5 mill a piece + the 2 mill T2 module, so you're looking at a minimum of 30-40 mill down to have a shot at a great one, and it will still only be roughly deadspace quality

My Grade: C-

Decayed Medium Plate - Kind of OK, the big problem here is that the plasmid can't even really lift it up to the next meta level, so if you do it on a rolled tungsten, it will still be weaker than a T2, best case. The bad-rolls on fitting are also overly harsh. The only plus side is that they're VERY cheap, and so are T2 plates, so you can get a ton of chances for reasonable cash.

My Grade: C+

Decayed Small Neut - This one is pretty great value. In fact I had such a good experience I'm going to start using these commonly in my PVP fits. Like the MWD, there's a lot of formulations of a Neut that can be useful in one way or another. Some fits don't care about range but need raw power, some fits could get by with only range and maybe an activation cost buff, but no change in power. I rolled 20 of these, and at least 5, maybe more, came out as such that I would use them in a fit I fly commonly. The plasmids are very cheap as well. The big downside is like the armor ones, they can't really lift a module up an entire meta level, so they're only worth it on Tech 2 and above.

My Grade: A-

with that being said, when they were announced I was pretty worried, but the fact of the matter is unless you're willing to spend billions of isk, it's not possible to make anything too terribly broken... in practice it seems like an alternate way to farm officer-quality modules, and at a similar cost

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    Shot in the dark but can I rejoin merchi just so I can sell all my stuff locked in delve? It's been 6 years since I've played this game and only giving it another shot because another friend wanted to torture himself with it. I see all my stuff locked in asset safety and in areas I probably shouldn't venture out to on my own/without a corp. So can I just join so I can firesell all my shit?

In game: Albreezy.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    I don't think it matters. Given how long ago nullsec stations were converted to citadels, your assets should already be moved to lowsec.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    I don't think it matters. Given how long ago nullsec stations were converted to citadels, your assets should already be moved to lowsec.

That's what I thought, but the only things it shows me as currently being moved to lowsec are from MZ1E-P and VFK-IV. The stuff I just want to firesell out are in M2-XFE, UEJX-G, Y-2ANO and it's telling me I don't have access to the markets in those stations.

But if it's not doable, no worries. It'll probably be awhile before I remember what the hell anything does again anyways.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    You're going to want to asset safety all of that to lowsec as we haven't lived in the North in two years.

• Options
    Y-2ANO is the doorway to Delve from Fountain tho

• Options
    Ah, you're right. I saw UEJX and went straight to Dek. M2- is also in Delve. Send me a PM.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Decided to log in in a fit of boredom, I could have sworn I'd had more alpha skills capped than this, they must have loosened the restrictions at some point.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    They did.

• Options
    It's gone from 3M to 5M SP, iirc.

• Options
    Oh hmm. Alpha clones changed more than I figured since I last paid attention. How I remembered it was you could only train certain skills to certain levels. Apparently they added a flat "this many total skillpoints" cap? My 55Mil self is slightly over that.

• Options
    TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    Alpha clones were a big hit, so they've broadened them some. There was a new patch recently that finally added more player owned components that work in the citadel universe vs the POS based mechanic of yesteryear. We have new jump bridge, cyno jammer/cyno gen mods. They're quite neat graphically compared to the old timey stuff of POS warfare

Merch Industrial would always be interested in retvets or newbies that want to check it out. Don't believe the hype about the evil goon empire, we're only evil to our enemies, internally we're pretty friendly, and I will say the uh more racial tinged commentary eve was known for has vanished. There are always a few lingering ones, but with the advent of streaming, and trying to be more inclusive than say 5 years ago things are better.

Eve Online: Zareph
  • Options
    If anyone is looking to resub, now's a good time; GMG are selling the galaxy/star/meteor packs at 50% off and there's an additional 15% off code as well. Additionally, CCP have a sale on Omega time which currently costs 425 PLEX instead of the usual 500.

15% code: https://www.greenmangaming.com/vouchers/

Remember that you can only apply these packs once each per account. If you've already bought a Galaxy pack for account B, you can only apply a Star and/or a Meteor pack to it now. However if you have multiple accounts, you can apply them once each. However GMG will only sell you one of each unless you go to the trouble of creating more accounts with them, clearing cookies, etc.

• Options
    That was a good enough deal to get me to resub.

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    That was a good enough deal to get me to resub.

It did the same for me back in February.

Meanwhile, any scotland-based EVE players here? Swing by the EVE Glasgow meetup. A couple of devs will be in attendance.

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/eve-glasgow-friday-28th-dec-with-guests-now-with-bouns-27th-meet-as-well/122080

• Options
    Show me a game where the players make better propaganda art, I challenge you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVuMikIe4s

• Options
    It is impossible.

this stuff just makes me want to play, but the game I always want to be playing isn't actually what Eve is.

• Options
    It is impossible.

this stuff just makes me want to play, but the game I always want to be playing isn't actually what Eve is.

Yeah i get that. After 12 years, I take the deeply meta view that the code is just a vehicle to structure and bestow some kind of meaning to the interactions I have with the people. Also, it is pretty. Basically I play EVE as a massively multiplayer LARP.