As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I've never owned or worn jorts.

But I did own a Trans Am once... :lol:

Edit: damn, that's an awkward totp!

Jazz on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Like...I get it, I also don't talk politics with my friends all the time, and it's possible that I'm friends with some actual hateful people that I don't know about. But at the same time, Black Metal has suuuuch a rotten reputation for being filled with racists, fascists, bigots and other assholes that just once I would love to see someone with Nergal's clout say 'I didn't realize this guy had associations with Nazism and so fuck that guy.'

Nergal is a big dumb idiot. Probably not directly fash, but only because he's kind of a vapid dummy and doesn't really consider politics at all.

During the world cup he posted some extremely racist shit saying essentially, if I remember correctly, "sports are for meatheads, and Africans are better at them anyway! Who cares if Poland loses a soccer match? We should be concentrating on art which we are good at!". Pretty much the same shit you'd expect to hear from Varg. Then he whined about how he didn't understand why people were mad, and that it wasn't racist.

If that kind of stuff detracts from the music for you, there's plenty pointing to him being a giant moron over the years.

E: warning, racist as fuck shit: https://mobile.twitter.com/VictimOvChanges/status/1009176115745718272

Took me 10 whole minutes to find the original picture he posted and someone complaining about it in June.

Metalsucks... sucks. The way they approach this stuff is so fucking lazy. Their writing is such garbage.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    Do you find yourself wearing jorts while you're washing your Trans-Am?

Wait, kako, are you telling me you DON'T wear your jorts when washing your Trans-Am?

I bust out the jorts when it's time to wash the jet-ski. Crack open a Hams and it's time to pre-party.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Like...I get it, I also don't talk politics with my friends all the time, and it's possible that I'm friends with some actual hateful people that I don't know about. But at the same time, Black Metal has suuuuch a rotten reputation for being filled with racists, fascists, bigots and other assholes that just once I would love to see someone with Nergal's clout say 'I didn't realize this guy had associations with Nazism and so fuck that guy.'

Nergal is a big dumb idiot. Probably not directly fash, but only because he's kind of a vapid dummy and doesn't really consider politics at all.

During the world cup he posted some extremely racist shit saying essentially, if I remember correctly, "sports are for meatheads, and Africans are better at them anyway! Who cares if Poland loses a soccer match? We should be concentrating on art which we are good at!". Pretty much the same shit you'd expect to hear from Varg. Then he whined about how he didn't understand why people were mad, and that it wasn't racist.

If that kind of stuff detracts from the music for you, there's plenty pointing to him being a giant moron over the years.

E: warning, racist as fuck shit: https://mobile.twitter.com/VictimOvChanges/status/1009176115745718272

Took me 10 whole minutes to find the original picture he posted and someone complaining about it in June.

Metalsucks... sucks. The way they approach this stuff is so fucking lazy. Their writing is such garbage.

Well then. As someone who wears a Behemoth shirt at least two days out of the week this is a fucking bummer.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Good god what is that

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    You’re right. That was way more offensive than Nergal being a tool.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, Tomb Mold just announced another album that's coming out next year

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/a3AnyzzkDzA

Infernal fuckin H A I L Z

• Options
  • Options
    @autothrall Vanik finally got its art added. Realized that they had a bandcamp release with it (with a different art too) so I was able to add that in there.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    SteevL wrote: »
    Another new Soilwork song too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-kcWrCX9rA

edit: apparently, according to a youtube comment so YMMV, the video is an animated version of the origin story for Scientology? weird.

I know this was a few days ago but this didn't really sit with me very well the first time through

It's grown on me, and I'm really loving this. It's more melodic than the last two albums, almost seems like a Figure Number Five Redux, but it's got a really unique sound to it.

The 3 songs I've heard so far are better than anything off FnF, so I'm still really looking forward to it.

(Also I'm a total fangirl for Bjorn's vocals, dude's a fucking superstar)

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I also dig Bjorn's vocals, but lately they've been far better in The Night Flight Orchestra...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtMiXEg2CI

Now I'm checking out the new Peste Noire album, which is going to piss absolutely everyone off.

autothrall on
  • Options

Now I'm checking out the new Peste Noire album, which is going to piss absolutely everyone off.

That cover though...

Either way, its an interesting concept. I'm gonna check it out too

• Options
    edited December 2018

That cover though...

Either way, its an interesting concept. I'm gonna check it out too

It will be interesting to see if he rationalizes doing it because of a genuine interest in the American South and trap music (which is featured prominently on half the album, I'm not kidding), or if he's simply trying to be Famine the Provocateur which he usually achieves about a dozen times before breakfast. He is often pretty surprising at times with his insights. But at any rate, yeah, that cover...ouch.

The first half of the conceptual 'split' is actually pretty good Peste Noire black metal. The trap-fueled stuff still has a lot of evil riffs and atmosphere on it, but the French rap vocals will take some getting used to.

autothrall on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Speaking of The Night Flight Orchestra, their first two albums got reissued by Nuclear Blast recently in case anyone wanted to seek them out. Their debut album was the only one I didn't own until I discovered it had been reissued.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Why be offended by Nergal when there are things like THIS in the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LRvS3MF1s

Is this going to be the new Attack Attack

• Options

It will be interesting to see if he rationalizes doing it because of a genuine interest in the American South and trap music (which is featured prominently on half the album, I'm not kidding), or if he's simply trying to be Famine the Provocateur which he usually achieves about a dozen times before breakfast. He is often pretty surprising at times with his insights. But at any rate, yeah, that cover...ouch.

The first half of the conceptual 'split' is actually pretty good Peste Noire black metal. The trap-fueled stuff still has a lot of evil riffs and atmosphere on it, but the French rap vocals will take some getting used to.

I can definitely see the argument that it's him trying to piss EVERYBODY off though calling the second half the 'Degenerate Part' and having it co-released with an NSBM label makes it a hard argument.

Either way, this first half is really good though

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I can definitely see the argument that it's him trying to piss EVERYBODY off though calling the second half the 'Degenerate Part' and having it co-released with an NSBM label makes it a hard argument.

Either way, this first half is really good though

Yeah, you are right, it's what the guy does.

In other news, now that I've listened to "I Am Above" about 45 times, I can safely say it's my favorite In Flames tune in a decade.

autothrall on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Sorry, I don't buy the "pissing off both sides" anymore. Even if it was true ten years ago, a quick detour by his facebook page clearly shows that he's very much on one side now.....

• Options
    The second half is definitely interesting... By far the most experimental that I've seen Peste Noire go. I think I like the first half a little bit more though. Still a solid album

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Finally, after 11 years, Sigh are coming back to the USA! At one show all the way in Atlanta, but still!

ayl5w18brf7b.jpg

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    My mum has decided that seeing Ozzy Osbourne is on her bucket list.

I wonder if he'll be back to the UK any time soon, and not just for a fucking festival. C'mon, Ozzy. Arena tour please.

• Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Happy New Year, gang!

So my birthday was a few days back, and my brother's girlfriend, who knows next to nothing about metal, gifted me three CD's that she picked out solely based on how they looked. The first two, Ensiferum's latest Two Paths and a Cattle Decapitation B-sides compilation, I'll probably spin once and then set aside, but the third is freaking Inquisition. It's a super cool digipack release of Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan. I haven't gotten to it yet since I've been spending my free time rereading The Malazan Book of the Fallen and listening to Immortal, but I'm very surprised to have gotten such a cult album from someone so foreign to the metal scene.

Great list as always, @autothrall. I was totally not expecting to see Uriah Heep on there; I guess I'll need to check that out. Also, it sure is nice to see Voivod back on top.

EthelTheFrog on
    All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    Nice list(s). The Skeletal Remains blew me away and I'm currently rocking out to the Alastor record right now (already showed it to my friend who is a big Uncle Acid fan and she loved it).

Got a non-metal list and/or an extended hierarchical list hiding around? I do miss those from previous years

• Options
    edited January 2019
    My mom listens to Susan Boyle and Enya, so count yourself lucky.

My mum is pretty rock, only sometimes but it definitely does happen. She's a huge Elvis fan, and came with me - voluntarily - to see Iron Maiden once. Slayer were supporting for that show*. So she has credentials!

I just kind of wish she'd thought (well, said) this a couple of years ago before Black Sabbath called it a day and did their farewell shows.

* - she wasn't into Slayer, too much for her but I've reminded her to name drop them if she needs a bit of rock cred. :lol:

Jazz on
  • Options
    Nice list(s). The Skeletal Remains blew me away and I'm currently rocking out to the Alastor record right now (already showed it to my friend who is a big Uncle Acid fan and she loved it).

Got a non-metal list and/or an extended hierarchical list hiding around? I do miss those from previous years

Oh, sorry, I had my non metal list on my Facebook (along with most of my year's end lists for games, movies, TV shows, comics). I don't have scores for these.

18. King Dude - Music to Make War To
    17. Antimatter - Black Market Enlightenment
    16. Slasher Dave - Frights
    15. Meat Beat Manifesto - Impossible Star
    14. Deadlife - The Order of Chaos
    13. Kontinuum - No Need to Reason
    12. Carpenter Brut - Leather Teeth
    11. Hank von Hell - Egomaniac
    10. MGMT - Little Dark Age
    09. Kimbra - Primal Heart
    08. Strvngers - Amor/Noir
    07. Markus Junnikkala - Eldritch
    06. Ur Pale - Water Tombs & Crimson Horizons
    05. Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - Hugsjá
    04. Oberon - Aeon Chaser
    03. Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes the World Ain't Enough
    02. Anna Von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
    01. TIE BETWEEN Rhys Fulber - Your Dystopia, My Utopia AND Frontline Assembly - Warmech, TWO ALBUMS BY THE SAME DUDE!

For the extended hierarchical I only have down to #36 (including the one addition I made on New Year's Eve):

19. Judas Priest (UK) - Firepower (87)
    20. Primordial (Ie) - Exile Among the Ruins (87)
    21. Summoning (At) - With Doom We come (87)
    22. Wytch Hazel (UK) - II: Sojourn (87)
    23. Evoken (US) - Hypnagogia (87)
    24. Trespass (UK) - Footprints in the Rock (87)
    25. Lychgate (De) - The Contagion in Nine Steps (85)
    26. Slugdge (UK) - Esoteric Malacology (85)
    27. Deathhammer (No) - Chained to Hell (85)
    28. Saxon (UK) - Thunderbolt (85)
    29. Obliteration (No) - Cenotaph Obscure (85)
    30. Ritual Necromancy (US) - Disinterred Horror (85)
    31. Atroce (Ca) - Necromantiaea Bestialis (85)
    32. Madder Mortem (No) - Marrow (85)
    33. Moonreich (Fr) - Fugue (85)
    34. Chapel of Disease (De) - And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye (85)
    35. Witching Hour (De) - And Silent Grief Shadows the Passing Moon (85)
    36. Outer Heaven (US) - Realms of Eternal Decay (85)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

enya absolutely slays tho

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

enya absolutely slays tho

Well she was great back on the demos, before she started taking off the corpse paint.

• Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    <Insert non-metal list here>

Were you as disappointed with the new Orbital as I was? That first single was pretty cool, but I just couldn't get into the rest of it. I should probably give the new Aphex Twin another listen too.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    <Insert non-metal list here>

Were you as disappointed with the new Orbital as I was? That first single was pretty cool, but I just couldn't get into the rest of it. I should probably give the new Aphex Twin another listen too.

I didn't like either of them nearly as much as I've loved past releases. The Orbital had a few decent tunes but not enough to make it on my list, also it has great cover art, definitely going for an In Sides-ish presentation.

autothrall on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So uh,

I'm totally into Epica and symphonic metal

That's cool right?

I'll see myself out

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I am of the opinion that the 2003 self-titled Strapping Young Lad is their best album and one of the heaviest albums ever recorded.

What day you, heshers?

Descendant X on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I am of the opinion that the 2003 self-titled Strapping Young Lad is their best album and one of the heaviest albums ever recorded.

What day you, heshers?

I've always preferred City and The New Black, myself. The two albums in between never did much for me.
    Orca wrote: »
    So uh,

That's cool right?

I'll see myself out

That's fine. For me, a little symphonic metal goes a long way.

• Options
    So uh,

That's cool right?

I'll see myself out

All metal is accepted 🙏🏼 namaste 🙏🏼

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    So uh,

That's cool right?

I'll see myself out

Yes, it's very cool.

As a somewhat trained tenor/counter-tenor (lots of choir in school, and an old boss that did regional opera and had me on a training regimen) that was once tasked to be human guideline/pitch pipe for a mezzosoprano, I love me some classically influenced vocalists of either sex.

In the prog-rock cover band I used to front I styled my delivery primarily on Roy Khan of Conception/Kamelot (god, I wished I has his tone color on the lower end of my register), Geoff Tate, and Michael Kiske (yes, I do indeed have testicles, why do you ask?).

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man, Kamelot hasn't been the same since Roy Khan left. Is there another band that is comparable to them in their prime, e.g. their Epica/The Black Halo cycle?

This discussion has been closed.