As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Another useful game mechanic I just found out: when targeting with a Grenadier, you can push up on the right stick (like zooming in with a sniper rifle) and "ride" the mortar's trajectory up into the air to get a clear view of what you're firing at.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Also even if you can’t see what you’re targeting, the trajectory line turns gold when you are “on target”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I wish you could just freely move the camera though. Sometimes even zooming up like that, it can be hard to see where the mortar will land.

Though, another super tip: L1 and R1 will cycle between available enemies, so it's an easy way to get "on target". Without that, grenadier aiming would be that much more a PITA.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The last few days, rather than actually playing the campaign, I decided to check out the two DLCs that are available to me.

First up was Squad E, to the Beach! It is comprised of two missions, both of which take place on the same totally new map with different arrangements of enemies. The map is pretty nicely designed, with a beach, a resort area, and some trails. Both missions essentially require you to play them twice - once to get the A-Rank (which is pretty trivial), and a second time to hunt down the Enemy Aces hidden around the map. (And it's not physically possible to both get the A-Rank and kill the Aces in the same play through.) I enjoyed them, they're constructed in a fun way, but they're not among my favourite levels.

The gimmick of this DLC is that the Enemy Aces drop swimsuits instead of weapons, and once completed you can change your leaders to be wearing them. Claude actually looks really nice, and Riley's is quite cute. Kai and Minerva's are pervy (though I have to admit, I did laugh at Raz's reaction), and Raz is wearing what is described as "douchy", but looks fine to me. (He could have done with some aviators to go full Top-Gun.) Ultimately: fun but unnecessary, in somewhat poor taste, and a bit too expensive.

A Captainless Squad is a side story that takes place over a series of three missions. You're restricted into using eight characters (Rosetta, Azusa, Zaiga, Simon, Hanna, Rita, Neige, and Connor), which was actually a pleasant surprise for me in that the game almost managed to predict exactly the people I had used the least. Switch out Zaiga, Simon, and Hanna for Viola, Vancy, and Brittany and they would have nailed it. This allowed me to get them all up to Corporal rank, and I enjoyed getting to use them for a bit before they resumed their spot on the bench (except for Neige, whose Stage Fright potential is just... the worst).

The missions are all on existing maps. The first is the village from The Crystal Sea parts 1 & 2, the bonus demo mission, and a number of Squad Stories. Honestly: I'm a little sick of it - I think the game had already approached that map every way that it could. The second mission is a variation on The Winter Witch, which I panicked when I played and accidentally cheesed through in two turns. I had been considering going back and playing it properly, so this afforded me the opportunity to kind of do so. As a result, I enjoyed it, but it might also feel "samey" for others. The final mission is essentially A March in the Snow backwards, a level I liked the first time so enjoyed again.

The main gimmick is that you only have a leader if you can assign one of those eight to be one, and you have no access to Orders. So... taking away options... but it made things play a bit more like the early game, which I'm a fan of. There were also the two Aces in the first two levels that seemed purposefully hard to find (one I stumbled upon first time through, one I had to actually go look up where they were). They drop some nice guns. But overall, this DLC feels kind of superfluous. It's more missions to do, but there's not really enough different in it to the main game/Squad Stories for me to recommend it.

(In checking the DLC page of the game I see that next month has The Two Valkyria, which it advertises as you getting the four female antagonists unlocked, as well as swimsuits for each. Which I couldn't help but notice - what the hell, where's Klaus? I'd love to have him on my team. Probably as a Lancer. And as for bathing suits: I'm thinking he's a banana-hammock kind of guy. Black with flames (there'd be room). Sigh. Double standards.)

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hmmm, I finished this yesterday~

The ending did feel pretty... anti-climactic. Also a very strange place to transition to the credits.
    Like, the Centurion sinks, everyone's like "awww ;_;" and then... fade to black roll credits??? That was a really, really odd place to do it.

The post-credits scenes were like, yknow. They were there I guess, but it wasn't really..... satisfying. At least until I went back and got the True End. And then I'm like, yeah okay, that wrapped up in a somewhat satisfying way. YAY RILEY'S OKAY! AND HE GOT THE GIRL!!!11

But also kind of weird that you have to purchase the 8.5 Interlude from the postgame store first, and then you have to watch an extra episode in Chapter 13, and THEN you have to play through the final mission AGAIN but on Hard Mode. For, like, what. An extra 2 minutes of cutscenes that should've just been there to begin with? I'm not really sure why they gated the True End behind all that....

I feel like VC4's story was weaker than VC1's, overall. It was decent I mean but also kinda weak especially towards the end. It felt like after dealing with Walz, Crymaria, and then Forsetti that things had already wrapped up, yknow? Especially given the whole ceasefire thing, it felt really weird for the game to be like "but wait, there's more". Like bruh, no, that was the climax! Maybe that's why Ch18 felt anticlimactic.

Also the Walz/Crymaria thing was like, WEIRD?? Did anyone else think that? Crymaria is all "wehhh boo hoo bloo bloo i just want someone to need me and want me" and then Walz is like "i want you and need you." Then Crymaria's all "no fuck off, go die." Walz then dies (well, except not, but) and then Crymaria's all "WAIT NO I LOVED HIMMMM". I can see what they were going for with that, right, but it just felt like it came across really awkwardly. I think it was just written a bit poorly because Crymaria suddenly swings from "GO DIE" to "I LURVE YOU" on a dime, basically. There wasn't enough time in between for Crymaria to sort through her feelings and realize that she was actually falling for Walz. And that's what makes it seem awkward, even if I get what they were going for overall.

I did actually like that Kai/Forseti did actually end up being The Bad Guy rather than "ha HA i'm actually working for the Feds and spying on the Imps!!" because that would've been a bit too cliche. But his motivations seemed pretty weak despite that. He's all like "bleh bleh bleh War is twisted, the Feds are corrupt, everyone sucks shit, Angie is pure sweet angel" but then goes over to the Empire because wHY??? Like the Empire is even more fucked than the Federation! Aaaaaaa. That felt weird to me. Maybe for him it was a "lesser of two evils" sort of thing, I guess, but. He literally turns into the thing he was trying to fight against, so who knows.

Belgar was pretty weak as a villain as well. Literally just Insane Madman trope. He had no driving motivation other than being insane and wanting to blow up a Valkyria for the sake of doing it...?

BUT, I did like Squad E, great set of main characters. I read a review before I started playing saying that VC4's main characters were just VC1's in disguise but that's suuuuper wrong. Claude is not Welkin, Riley is not Alicia, Crymaria is not Selvaria. They're all super different and stand out as such. I did like that Crymaria was like, unhinged as shit. Like losing her goddamn shit and not mentally stable in the slightest. Stark difference from Selvaria in 1. I think VC1's antagonists carried a bit more weight to them though, stood out a bit more, had more impact. I mean shit, you go up against the goddamn Prince of the Empire!

But regardless, very good game. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite my shortcomings with it. I think it had better gameplay than VC1, even if I think the story was weaker. Grenadiers were a solid new class, extreeeeemely good and cool. I really really liked the addition of Squad Stories as a means of exploring character development/backstory for your Squaddies. And holy hell the voice acting was SO much better this time around. I felt like the English VA in VC1 was yknow, alright for the main characters and then ranging from "serviceable" to "gag me with a spoon" for your Squad Members. I swapped to JP voices in VC1 pretty early on because of that. But this time around I stuck with English all the way through and it was extremely well done.

Also while I'm on the topic of VC1, I like that Scout Rushing was much much less viable this time around given how OP that was in VC1. Scouts are much more flimsy and don't deal as much damage as Shocktroopers. I found myself using all my units pretty equally this time. Shocktroopers in particular got a lot of mileage. Flamethrowers SO DAMN GOOD.

Aaaaaalso it would've been great if Mortar Lances and Anti-Tank Grenades were subweapons for Lancers and Grenadiers, respectively. Mortar Lances are actually SUPER fucking strong vs Personnel but it comes at the very hefty price of losing your Tank Killers! And vice versa for Anti-Tank Grenades with Grenadiers. Being able to swap between the two on the fly with shared ammo would've made a hell of a difference.

Oh and the Cactus was OP as fuck. Holy shit the APC was goddamn MVP.

(I don't think I used Ship Orders like, ever, though. Except that one mission vs Chiara. You know the one.)

good game tho~

also also, if anyone's struggling on the final mission in Ch18, there is a very very cool way to cheese the whole damn thing:
    Load up Riley, a Grenadier, and like... idk, Kai on the APC, drive over to where you need to drop Riley off. Use the Cactus to kill nearby Shocktroops/Scouts as you pass them, use Kai to pick off Snipers and Lancers (so the Cactus won't die). Dump Riley off at the zone, unload your Grenadier safely behind some rocks or some shit. This can all be done on the first turn.

Boss Tank will submerge resurface.

Load up ALLLLL the Orders on your lone Grenadier. Specifically you need:

- Blast Boost
    - Attack Weak Spot
    - Penetration
    - Demolition Boost

Those last two might not be 100% necessary but I like to be safe.

You'll need 2 CP minimum leftover. Aim your Grenadier's grenade at the very top-center of the tank. If done correctly, you'll hit ALL four Radiators and you'll kill them all at the same time (takes two actions).

I did this both times, I don't regret it, I wasn't gonna deal with that map's horseshit of the Radiators retracting and the Boss moving halfway across the map each turn.

NO RAGRETS.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I did the same thing on chapter 18-2. No ragrets indeed.

Spoiler for 18-1.
    The one where you have to destroy all the harpoons can be done in a single turn. You’ll need the sniper rifle that does 750 armor damage (gauss, I think it’s called). Deploy all your captains(for the action points) and the APC, plus an engineer. Use the APC to grab Kai and the engineer, take them as close to the ship as you can. Try to take out the grenadier on this turn if you can, but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t.

Deploy Kai. Give her the Attack Weak Point order, and have her target the harpoon points. Two shots with the Gauss gun will take one out. When she runs out of ammo use the engineer to replenish and take out the grenadier.

If you don’t miss a shot you should have exactly enough actions to take all of the harpoon points out and complete the operation.

One note on 18-2
    You don’t have to send Riley to the drop zone. She can be the grenadier that kills the tank on turn 2.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think I just hate the endings of VC games. They just throw so much Valk-related BS at you it's almost necessary to play through missions a couple times just to see what is gonna be thrown at you. I almost prefer the much more conventional earlier missions, especially the Squad Story missions. I could never finish the last couple of missions of VC1 and haven't willed myself to finish VC4 yet despite really loving most of the game.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    I think I just hate the endings of VC games. They just throw so much Valk-related BS at you it's almost necessary to play through missions a couple times just to see what is gonna be thrown at you. I almost prefer the much more conventional earlier missions, especially the Squad Story missions. I could never finish the last couple of missions of VC1 and haven't willed myself to finish VC4 yet despite really loving most of the game.

One upside to VC2 is that fencers are so broken that they mostly ignore that stuff.

Emilia is so broken that she can just kill boss units without engaging with map mechanics at all - just run up and slice them in half.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Apparently VC4 is on a pretty hefty sale on the Nintendo e-shop:

That's a ridiculously good price.

Also, the DLC The Two Valkyria came out yesterday. After not being totally won-over by the previous DLC I skipped the Expert Skirmishes earlier in the month, but I think I'm still going to give this one a go.

And while I'm reviving this thread, a couple stories:

Chapter 14: The Azure Flame
    This is the mission in the ruins where, initially, you have to capture the two enemy camps.

So, things had gone pretty well. I swept left, captured the one camp, and then moved that team across the top, while sending another group to the right later. Turn 4 starts, and the second camp is an easy walk with Leonhardt (who had been solo moving up through the right building with an anti-tank rifle). All he has to do is hop down the ladder, shoot the two tanks (for the ducats and exp) and end the mission. But I hadn't killed the Enemy Ace yet - I figured he must be hidden somewhere in the middle section. Not wanting to potentially lose out on an A-Rank, I save, and then send Minerva and Emmy (with Combat Boots) to go find them. Alas, I don't, so with my last two CPs Leonhardt finishes up.

Except that as soon as I take the second camp, a tonne of reinforcements appear all over the place, including the Enemy Ace, Crymaria and the Vulcan. Mission objective changes to destroy the Vulcan, and the game gives me no new CP. "Do you want to end your turn?" Ummm... No. That would go badly. So I load up the beginning of turn 4, use the Cactus to grab Jascha (my designated Anti-Tank Grenadier) and Aulard, and drive to the second camp. Take it with Jascha, trigger the change, and then (having Ordered a Demo-Boost) just spend the whole turn trying to blow up the Vulcan. Frustratingly, it survives with a sliver of health.

Crap. I decide to let the enemy's turn run, to see what kind of thing I'm going to be dealing with while I decide if I want to redo the mission to better prepare for this. Starts off well, with Crymaria wasting CP (no one was near her) and Riley dodging a Shocktrooper. But then she gets killed by a Scout. The Vulcan takes an ineffectual pot shot at the Hafen. Minerva, Kai, and Emmy all get killed. And Emmy gets tagged by someone, so she's dead-dead. Bummer. I'm thinking I am going to have to play it again. But then! The Enemy Ace starts moving forwards, presumably to Flamethrower Jascha and Aulard. And as he moves, he runs right beside the Vulcan, and Jascha's intercept fire hits it, blowing it up. OPERATION COMPLETE!

Chapter 17: The Final Choice Part 1
    I deploy, start the mission. "Oh, the enemy is going first."

Chiara runs up, kills Aulard, shoots Gertrude, and runs away. Then the enemy armour rolls in and I'm just thinking, "wait... Ultimate Tank?" when the thing's turret swivels around and blows away the Cactus. A second comes in and misses Gertrude with a shot (thankfully), but then a third (which doesn't even bother moving) has a perfect shot at the Hafen's radiator. Boom. Damn, that's the first time I've lost the Hafen, and there's literally nothing I could do about it (it's auto-deployed in that position, so I assume that happens every single time).

I had a moment of the same panic and dread that led me to cheese Chapter 9: The Winter Witch. But I pushed it down. "This game often makes itself look hard, but at this point you've learned it's usually easier than it seems." Proceeded to A-Rank it first time through. And that's with me forgetting that I could use a Ship Order to redeploy my armour until turn 4 or so.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Ok so I bought this on Xbox last week for Black Friday, up to chapter 3 or 4 (just did the Squad E prologue), really like it and the strategy of having realtime fire while moving is a nice way to not be cute like in some other strategy games.

I'm trying not to be spoiled so apologies if this has been answered but I already have a soldier stories that popped up (the Godwin/Nico/Rosetta one) that seems waaaaay above my current level (4), the enemy seems to be chopping through everyone like butter. So I'm wondering are those squad side stories made for playing any time or do I need to wait until my team is leveled up due to story progression and more skirmishes? Or should I just be playing protect the bunker?

• Options
    The Squad Stories are unlocked when you have recruited all of the characters involved in one, and have one of them reach the rank of Corporal. The difficulty is generally tied to the characters' availability (ie. some of the harder ones feature characters you only get later). For the Godwin/Nico/Rosetta one you are a little early [which one have you been using a lot?], so there's no harm in waiting a couple chapters worth of progression before doing it.

If you haven't played a VC game before, one piece of info that the tutorials don't tell soon enough (in my opinion) is a unit's "awareness". Scouts "see" in a 270° arc in front of them, while everyone else only sees 90°. As such, with a Scout's high AP, try swinging around from the side to approach from an enemy's blind spot. Also, I don't think you've gotten to the part where they talk about Ragnite Crates, but those blue glowing crates behind a lot of the tanks in that level? They explode when shot. That, and sticking to the tall grass, should help.

I will say in general this game will present you with missions that, first turn, seem frustratingly difficult. Or outright impossible. But they're deceptive, and not, ultimately, as bad as they seem. (Actually, that's one of my favourite things about VC4: while the later levels throw crazy new challenges at you, it's never a Fire-Emblem-late-game, "we're just going to turn everything into an exhausting slog," style.)

//

Also, to copy a post I made elsewhere:

I've got a couple of things I found out later on in the game that I wish had been better explained earlier. So if you're interested (no story spoilers):
    • The Rank you get on a mission is entirely dependant on the number of turns you take, with no consideration for clearing the map, etc. A-Ranking missions will get you rewarded with special gear and guns, which in turn makes things a bit easier.
    • Read the Mission Overview. Even though 99% of the time it contains the same stuff you just got briefed on, occasionally it will tell you that an enemy is invincible for that mission or you'll notice that you don't have to protect your starting camp, etc. Can save you some hassle.
    • Enemy Aces are the enemies with the weird names (usually one per level). They have higher stats than other enemies, mainly resulting in them being very good at dodging bullets. So blow them up. (Or sneak attack them from behind, I guess.) Killing them nets you some extra ducats and experience, and afterwards you take their gun. (Most Imp weaponry is lower range/accuracy, increased damage. Nothing overpowered, but the Enemy Ace Tanks will give you some pretty sweet stuff.)
    • On Squad Stories: characters rank up by you using them (so if you have some CP left in a turn and you're about to claim the objective, run around with random people first). They will rank faster in story missions than skirmishes. When you complete a Squad Story, all of the units involved will have one of their potentials changed/added (always the fourth one. Usually resulting in a negative becoming a positive).
    • You recruit characters just by progressing the main story. Except! there's one who gets added to the roster if you stockpile 1 000 000 dcts. She's nothing crazy, so don't worry about it. But late game if you're like 100 000 dcts away, maybe don't upgrade anything for a mission.
    • We had someone here go through most of the game before they realised that Engineers can restock allies' ammo just by running close to them. This is very useful.
    • Also on Engineers: they have a cap of three grenades as opposed to the one for Scouts and Shocktroopers (very useful early game). And their Revival Ragnaid, besides being more powerful than other units' Ragnaid, can even necromancer a downed ally fully back to health. (Just be careful when you do this not to get too close to the downed ally, or you'll automatically call in a medic to rescue them. Ragnaid has a deceptively far range.)
    • When you target with a Grenadier, if you push forward on the right stick (like zooming with a Sniper) you'll actually "ride" the mortar's trajectory into the air. This is super handy for getting a lay of the land, and checking to make sure you'll actually hit someone and not an outcropping of terrain. Also, once you have access to Anti-Tank mortars the auto-targeting will aim at the centre of mass, so this lets you maneuver the shot onto a radiator.
    • Early on, weapons tend to have either Shots: 20/Ammo: ∞, or Shots: 1/Ammo: 3. Eventually you end up with a weapon that has Shots: 3/Ammo: 3. When I got it, I assumed this meant that it would run through it's entire ammo in one action and avoided using it. But it's three uses of three shots, and it is an excellent weapon.
    • Once you get access to Flamethrowers, be aware that the horizontal targeting line is the breadth of what your unit is going to hit. The auto-targeting will centre the line on an enemy, but if you then move it over you can often hit multiple people. (Including your own units though - friendly fire is a thing.)

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Got this game when it was on sale for BF cause I couldn't get it at release. Also bought like 4 other games so yay backlog.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I got the game on sale via Steam but I haven't tried it yet. Caught up in other things.

• Options
    The Squad Stories are unlocked when you have recruited all of the characters involved in one, and have one of them reach the rank of Corporal. The difficulty is generally tied to the characters' availability (ie. some of the harder ones feature characters you only get later). For the Godwin/Nico/Rosetta one you are a little early [which one have you been using a lot?], so there's no harm in waiting a couple chapters worth of progression before doing it.

If you haven't played a VC game before, one piece of info that the tutorials don't tell soon enough (in my opinion) is a unit's "awareness". Scouts "see" in a 270° arc in front of them, while everyone else only sees 90°. As such, with a Scout's high AP, try swinging around from the side to approach from an enemy's blind spot. Also, I don't think you've gotten to the part where they talk about Ragnite Crates, but those blue glowing crates behind a lot of the tanks in that level? They explode when shot. That, and sticking to the tall grass, should help.

I will say in general this game will present you with missions that, first turn, seem frustratingly difficult. Or outright impossible. But they're deceptive, and not, ultimately, as bad as they seem. (Actually, that's one of my favourite things about VC4: while the later levels throw crazy new challenges at you, it's never a Fire-Emblem-late-game, "we're just going to turn everything into an exhausting slog," style.)

cool cool cool. And Godwin was my go-to scout because he hit some clutch kills early on and survived a sneaky ambush so I was all "you, you're good, you."

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Blue crates that explode when you shoot them? I get the story reason, but something just feels wrong with that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Blue crates that explode when you shoot them? I get the story reason, but something just feels wrong with that.

The best part is?
    They are ridiculously fragile. One bullet from any gun from any range will set them off.

I've set them off accidentally during reaction fire

• Options
    question about end of mission ranks, is it like MGSV where speed is more important than # of enemies taken out? That first Siegval line mission I did very classy, lost no one, got all the camps on the way to the main one and did it in 8 turns, but got a D and I'm all biiiiitch, please.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Number of turns is the only thing that matters for rank

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    SeGaTai wrote: »

Since one can grind on skirmishes, please don't feel like it will cripple your progression if you find killing imps to more enjoyable than abusing scouts.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Abusing the apc really

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    You do get some pretty good stuff for getting an A-Rank though. Like that one more accurate rifle early on that makes a Sniper super dependable for head-shots.

And @TexiKen same thing happened to me on 4.1. I thought eight turns was respectable for clearing that, but yeah. I did a quick write up back then on how I got the A-Rank (4 turns):
    On the left of the map, turn one send a Scout into the long grass as far as they can go. Have a Grenadier blow up the enemy Scout. Turn two run the Scout to capture the camp and then continue and grenade the AT gun facing south. Turn three or four grenade the north facing AT gun.

Centre of the map have the Hafen take out the two near tanks over the first two turns, with support from a Grenadier to clear some of the infantry that's around. Push forward enough that you trigger the enemy tanks showing up before turn two ends. Have an Engineer run up, capture the enemy camp, and repair the Hafen. Turn three and four take down some enemy tanks with the Hafen, as CP permits, and roll towards the final camp to mortar it.

Right of map snipe the enemy Sniper to clear the tower. Dan picks up a Sniper and a Shocktrooper and guns it for the enemy camp, shooting the guy there. Sniper gets out, captures the camp, and spends the rest of turns one and two killing the enemy Grenadiers from the tower. [Make sure to get them down between turns. First time through, Kai got blown out of the tower, resulting in it's destruction. So I had to deal with their harassment... which kind of worked out, as one of them blew up their own pillbox trying to shoot Raz.] Turn three roll the ally tank forward and down the enemy tank. Use the Cactus to ram the enemy Lancer out of cover, shoot him, and then pull up in the enemy camp. Shocktrooper guns down enemy, captures base, and runs up the embankment. Second CP to grenade the AT gun, and start heading back to the Cactus. [Raz ended up taking some gatling fire on the opponent's turn, but not too badly hurt.] Turn four, get back to Dan, who can reach the middle camp. Hop out, capture it, hop back in. Head to the final camp and do the same.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think unlike VC1 you can redo story missions so not getting A-Rank first time around isn't a big deal.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    SeGaTai wrote: »

Since one can grind on skirmishes, please don't feel like it will cripple your progression if you find killing imps to more enjoyable than abusing scouts.

You can even go back and grind missions, which yields better xp and zenny than skirmishes.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Thinking about asking for Valkyria Chronicles 4 for Christmas. It's probably a conversation that's been done to death, but can anyone nudge me toward either PS4 or Switch as the platform?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Thinking about asking for Valkyria Chronicles 4 for Christmas. It's probably a conversation that's been done to death, but can anyone nudge me toward either PS4 or Switch as the platform?

Do you share your TV with someone else? Do you like playing on your commute or in bed? Get the Switch version. If you intend to always play on your TV, then the PS4 has slightly better visuals, but you'd be hard-pressed to notice anything if you weren't comparing both side by side, I think.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »

Do you share your TV with someone else? Do you like playing on your commute or in bed? Get the Switch version. If you intend to always play on your TV, then the PS4 has slightly better visuals, but you'd be hard-pressed to notice anything if you weren't comparing both side by side, I think.

I sometimes share the TV but rarely play the Switch when the TV is in use. I either play the Switch on the TV, or I play while traveling.

That's the big question I have: how noticeable is the difference between the docked Switch version and the PS4 version? Sounds like there's barely any difference you say.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »

I sometimes share the TV but rarely play the Switch when the TV is in use. I either play the Switch on the TV, or I play while traveling.

That's the big question I have: how noticeable is the difference between the docked Switch version and the PS4 version? Sounds like there's barely any difference you say.

If you watch comparison videos on YouTube, you’ll notice the differences. However, I played the demo on the Switch and the game looks great. Your mileage will vary, of course!

Which reminds me that there’s a demo available (at least on Switch), so you can check it out and see if it looks nice enough for you.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Chapter 15.2, some help please without me having to go and get spoiled on GameFAQs or something. The enemy's red radius onscreen doesn't match what can be done during their turn, and hitting the main boss, even with a surprise attack seems pointless unless you get super close which means going all the way around and dealing with cheap ass grenadiers.
    I beat Vulcan by cheesing the penetration order and letting Raz get close after destroying that gatling turret on the tank, and I know you're to snip Crymaria's staff to get close, but then she's hitting people outside that radius when I moved people to the east side enemy camp. I've thought of just keeping Kai and Neige (the true best sniper for sure) at the main base to snipe the rod/draw the boss' attention since they can just hide under the cover

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Chapter 15.2, some help please without me having to go and get spoiled on GameFAQs or something. The enemy's red radius onscreen doesn't match what can be done during their turn, and hitting the main boss, even with a surprise attack seems pointless unless you get super close which means going all the way around and dealing with cheap ass grenadiers.
    I beat Vulcan by cheesing the penetration order and letting Raz get close after destroying that gatling turret on the tank, and I know you're to snip Crymaria's staff to get close, but then she's hitting people outside that radius when I moved people to the east side enemy camp. I've thought of just keeping Kai and Neige (the true best sniper for sure) at the main base to snipe the rod/draw the boss' attention since they can just hide under the cover
    Sounds like you and I did the exact same thing. I save scummed this mission a bit, because yeah, you look safe and then I guess her radius is just slightly bigger than you think. Or the roof you thought you were under does nothing. Or the shot you took on her when she was stunned only did 5 DMG and now she's back and murdering fools.

Bottom line is, this game doesn't always communicate what the risks and rewards are.

So yeah, I just had to keep pushing forward. When I went through the eastern passages, I made sure I hugged the walls as far away from Crymaria as I could. When I went in on her for the kill, what turned out to be most effective were flame throwers of all things. I think it's scripted that you have to be inside a certain radius? I tried shooting with SMGs from what must have been just outside that radius to almost no effect at all. I guess using flamethrowers forced me inside it? But also, her flinches from getting hit are so exagerated, they frequently make the other SMG rounds miss. No such problem with flamethrowers!

Good luck. I enjoyed this game. But I also felt it had enough unpredictable jank that I felt no shame in save scumming from time to time.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah you can kind of just ignore her until you're ready to make your move. Leave somebody in camp as bait, but as long as you're under cover she can't really do anything to them. The game plan though is to run somebody up and around to reach her in melee range. Then when you're ready, snipe the staff, and run your guy up to her and just try to kill her in one turn.[.spoiler]

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Finishing mission 14 in 2 turns felt very vc1 level cheese heh.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah you can kind of just ignore her until you're ready to make your move. Leave somebody in camp as bait, but as long as you're under cover she can't really do anything to them. The game plan though is to run somebody up and around to reach her in melee range. Then when you're ready, snipe the staff, and run your guy up to her and just try to kill her in one turn.[.spoiler]

Continued 15.2 Spoilers:
    The first time I was ready to take out Crymaria I sent two Shocktroopers forward and tried to "juggle" her with headshots from two sides (so that she constantly has to turn around and the other person can get a surprise attack). But like @Namrok, the regular guns are sadly ineffective and I had to do it again with just one Shocktrooper spending a whole turn Flamethrower-ing her.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

No spoilers from me here so I'm not spoiler-tagging: You can do this extremely easily with one single Shocktrooper. Load up ALL the offensive Orders on them (including Penetration. I think that's what it's called, it's been a hot minute.. The one that ignores defense) and move right up into melee range right in front of their face and just fucking blast them. They'll be staggering a bit even during the attack animation so headshots are difficult but aim in that general area and you'll get it.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Finally playing this and surprised at how much more lenient it is with A ranks than VC1.

Not that I have a problem with it as it let's you use more strategies than "Send scouts".

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Just beat the game it was pretty good. Very much like VC1 but with enough new editions to make it feel new.

Last boss was kinda cheesy(not even hard just cheesy) though and I'm not sure how you'd A rank it first time blind.

Also lol at "United States of Vinland" and its role in the plot.

Also
    I was legit surprised they killed off Raz...I was expecting some last minute Macguffin to save him and the other unit but nope...

I actually did like it more that way but also sucks cause Raz was an awesome unit.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ok, the game has been enjoyable but I swear some of the basic mechanics are broken and have cost me finishes at the most inopportune time. Like team-ups, and the first mission of chapter 18
    I have Minerva carry Eileen and Jimmy onto the ship and destroy it's submerging ability and after the first turn of taking care of everyone on the ship I move my attention to the harpoon guns and get down to just the two harpoon guns on top in the middle by the main cannon. I had Minerva carry the two other characters on the ship to the right location up those steps on the port and starboard sides of the ship to get good angles (and to give my Lancer an AP refresh), but because they were carried the game didn't put them right behind her when going through a narrow passage, it basically dumped Jimmy all the way behind that elevated portion of the ship, where you would go up the ladders and rather unnecessary for what I envisioned, making me basically unable to resupply him and get him in position to aim at the harpoon guns before the ship would submerge again.

Very, very frustrating thing that basically wasted 30 minutes of brilliance on my part, well beyond enemies just ducking shots from the corner of their eyes.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Yeah I save scammed a bit cause sometimes things wouldn't work the way they were supposed to.

Hell I had to redo an entire boss fight cause they got stuck on geometry and are damn near invincible until they get to their checkpoint and cue a scene.

I'll say that was one of my few complaints. Too many of fights had gimmicks where they were damn near unwinnable until a scene happens. Which is something I do not like in sRPGs.

Like if you're gonna do that at least tell the player somehow.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    beat the main game, enjoyed it very much. But that final boss fight was just shit because my lancers and grenadiers, even when aiming at that tanks radiators (and had the red numbers too), never hit them, had to do it with so many turns it just became not fun.

The DLC I take it is just more types of skirmishes? I'd be willing to pay for those.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i cheesed the last boss in 2 turns in normal and hard. valkyria chronicles is like the only game where my stupid brand of "i wonder if this works" works exactly perfectly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm in the middle of chapter 4 at the moment. The game certainly got off to an abrupt start. No explanation of the war or anything, it was just two dudes chilling on a tank and then "uh oh the enemy" and you're thrown into it. From what chapters 2 and 3 did, as far as explaining who all these people are goes, it seems like that was intentional. But it was a bad move.

At any rate I'm still enjoying this. It's pretty much "more VC1 if you liked that" so far, plus mortars. I thought they were going to be overpowered but this chapter I'm on is showing just how balanced it actually is.