As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Secret Satans 2018 - Gifting complete!

• Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    Another package has arrived:
    f9g4lkescxxl.png
    With a less mysterious tag then the last one:
    0esusgdsrvfq.jpg
    The contents:
    igjb8ovxoahp.gif
    Thank you Satan @Brovid Hasselsmof !

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    @Platy I used the new cookbook when I had my parents and brother over for dinner last night. The krautfleckerl and faschiertes kalbsbutterschnitzel were a hit.

I probably won't ever make the vegetable mayonnaise salad in aspic, though.

Also, I have to say, "1 1/2 bread rolls" is a terrible unit of measure.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    @DashD That's great! I'm happy you could put it to use

The bread roll measurement probably refers to a semmel or Kaiser roll which you can get everywhere around here

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I did end up using Kaiser rolls, but mostly because my local store didn't have bread roll selection and my other option was sweet Hawaiian rolls. Not quite the flavor profile I needed.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DashD wrote: »
    Also, I have to say, "1 1/2 bread rolls" is a terrible unit of measure.
    Agree to disagree. In fact, that will be my standard unit of measurement from now on. My family should expect some really messed up food while I figure out proportions. 1/64th of 1 1/2 bread rolls of cinnamon. See? Comes almost naturally.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Ooh! One more package in the mailbox when I got home from work on early leave!

First, a message of ill portent
    009jt9y6u7po.jpeg

And then

D O G. S O C K S.
    oclcrmy56hem.jpeg

Thanks so much for an incredible Satans this year, @Lalabox!! As labelled, these socks are fun and cool.

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    How could those be dog socks? There's only 2 of each. Though I guess going by wishbone rules they'd only really need two. But then how would one visually distinguish dog socks from dog gloves?

steam_sig.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dog gloves have thumbs.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    you are so very welcome Cello

thanks for updating your wishlist when I asked as well.

Also, a big thanks to Blank who encouraged me to get the howard the duck comics for you.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've got one third part of my gift to collect and send but I'm concerned that part 2, which has also not yet been received, will be too damn good to be topped

I am excited but concerned

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Just a heads up, I'm about to buy the hammock on my Wishlist. Is that going to conflict with my Satan's gift? Believe it or not, I do not need 2 hammocks.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just turn it upside down and use it as a hummock.

Perhaps I'll emerge a beautiful butterfly. Or more likely a fuzzy, lopsided moth. I'm good with either.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    . wrote: »
    Perhaps I'll emerge a beautiful butterfly. Or more likely a fuzzy, lopsided moth. I'm good with either.

Just avoid cats in either case

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    UPS emailed me that I have a package coming tomorrow. I did just order a bunch of First Party 2.0 Polos since they're on clearance and had 4 in my size (which was awesome), but I expect that would be coming from WA, not IA.

So far as I know those are the only things I ordered (it was technically my mother's birthday present to me). Is it you, Satan?

Madican wrote: »
    . wrote: »

Just avoid cats in either case
    I.. should have thought things through better.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I returned to work today to discover more gifts in my mailbox!
    ob1d7s1l.jpg
    mYaiMmkl.jpg?1

The Saga books I've been meaning to read for several years, and Red Dead Redemption 2! Thank you so much @Caulk Bite 6!

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Glad they got to ya

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    UPS emailed me that I have a package coming tomorrow. I did just order a bunch of First Party 2.0 Polos since they're on clearance and had 4 in my size (which was awesome), but I expect that would be coming from WA, not IA.

So far as I know those are the only things I ordered (it was technically my mother's birthday present to me). Is it you, Satan?

Hark! It was indeed Satan's... deed! Check the spoiler below:
    nqra4fmehq0v.jpg
    A box with a well-placed hand to block the shipping label! I opened it and found...

igas1dv7f376.jpg
    A note! It reads: "Hello Goose! Happy Holidays to you. Since I know you live in New York I wanted to share a little of Iowa with you. The socks and candy are from some great local stores and the art print was from a comic convention I took my kids to. The game...has no connection to Iowa, that I am aware of. I'll also get you a couple of ebooks off your wishlist. Happy Holidays and Hail Satan. - @Marathon "

Thank you so much, Marathon!

wr05stj9v9tw.jpg
    Aforementioned socks, 1 of 2 pairs from Raygun, the greatest store in the universe! That's really cool! But maybe you can explain the letters (is it for Cedar Rapids maybe?)

cbmhmyrvjgay.jpg
    The second pair of socks from Raygun! They're neat! They've got little Iowas on them.

bkee9iacp4qh.jpg
    A box of hand rolled chocolate truffles from The Marion Chocolate Shop! Chocolate candies are great!

ebykuq7yc4bd.jpg
    A drink cozy! I keep one at work all the time for my water bottle and it's getting kinda...rough looking. So this can replace that one. Thanks!

e3jfbxedfxeu.jpg
    Persona 5! I almost bought this for myself so many times because I'd never played any games in the series and heard it was really good, but I never did. Can't wait to finally check it out and see what folks keep talking about WRT Persona games!

hp4cf9acxx5m.jpg
    The print! I love Futurama, and this is a funny interpretation of American Gothic, a classic gag for cartoons.

yutiaxrh0yny.jpg
    The entire thing. Thanks so much, Marathon, these are great! Hail Satan indeed!

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hey, awesome! Glad everything finally arrived.
    The CR on the socks are indeed for Cedar Rapids.

Looks like UPS beat the shit out of those truffles, that sucks.

Marathon on
    Oh, I expect they'll still taste just dandy. Thanks again!

I would double Awesome for the Raygun stuff alone. I've had a Raygun shirt on my wishlist for years. Yay Iowa!

Its my first time hearing of it, but I'm excited!

• JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    I received a 2nd package from @KetBra today!
    lLEnLmcm.jpg

Thank you! I almost picked this up for myself a couple of times while I was Christmas shopping this winter.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    just letting @Lost Salient know, I posted something right before christmas - no idea how long it will take to arrive given the holidays, but if you don't receive a FLAT ENVELOPE in the next week or so let me know and I'll send a replacement.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oh boy! I love FLAT ENVELOPES!

I will keep my eyes peeled.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Nobody got me a flat envelope for Christmas.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Glad they got to ya

Iconoclasts was really good, by the way! I loved the art style and music, and just moving around feels really good. I need to finish the first Life is Strange before I move on to the expansion still...but you know I gotta start cowboyin' it up in RDR2 so I'm gonna be busy for a little while.
    Thanks again for everything!

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    There were things I didn’t enjoy about iconoclasts, but I loved the story and the aesthetics of the world. I’m glad it appealed to you.

I still have to finish it, myself. I got stuck at a point super late game and in order to push passed that, I’m probably going to have to restart, anyway.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got surprise Sataned with a box of delicious treats from the distant land of Austria. Cue shitty phone picture:

qcy5wop4p9tb.jpg

Top left: Mozartkugeln. Chocolate and marzipan and praline and nougat in a ball. Recipe invented by Mozart? Probably.
    Top middle: Lebkuchen. Gingerbread cakey things. I love these things, partly because my Austrian gran used to give them to us all the time. These are a lot nicer than the ones you can buy here which I find really sweet.
    Right: I'm not sure what these are called, there's a lot of words on the box. Süße Grüße aus Österreich or Feinster Haselness-Nougat mit Crisp or Feinst gefüllte Schokoladentaler. Whatever they are they're delish.
    Bottom middle: Manner? Hazelnut wafer things.
    Bottom left: A marzipan toadstool. My parents have toadstool Christmas decorations from Austria so I guess there is some meaning to toadstools I'm not sure of.

Thanks very much @Platy! As you can probably tell from the photo I didn't have much restraint in opening things up and starting to eat them.

Which dinosaur was in the mystery dinosaur bag

Sorry about the socks, my mom came up to me as I was putting stuff into the box and asked me to give them to you. They're really good socks though, so maybe you find a taker.

edited January 2019
    Bottom left: A marzipan toadstool. My parents have toadstool Christmas decorations from Austria so I guess there is some meaning to toadstools I'm not sure of.

They're considered lucky, presumably because people used to make a sort of soup from them to catch flies

You mostly see them around New Year but they also used to be widespread as Christmas tree ornaments

Platy on
    Platy wrote: »
    Which dinosaur was in the mystery dinosaur bag

Sorry about the socks, my mom came up to me as I was putting stuff into the box and asked me to give them to you. They're really good socks though, so maybe you find a taker.
    Never apologize about socks during Secret Satan! Your mom is wonderful.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Socks are great!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    A second package has been disseminated. Prepare yourself, satanee.

There will be one more gift to come, but that will be delivered...in person?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Shit sorry, Platy. I got so distracted by things I could stuff in my face I left out those other bits.

The dinosaur is a pachycephalosaurus. I like them because they are like prehistoric, reptilian buffalo. It's currently perched on top of my monitor.

And the socks were a bit perplexing simply because they are so normal and practical and I would have expected weird socks given the theme of this Satans. But they will come in really handy for days at college because I usually end up with cold feet from standing around outside all day, so thanks to deine Mutter.

Oh, I was worried how they would come across because they have a bit of pink in them

Glad they're useful to you!

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Amazon ghosted the packages I was waiting for at my door as per usual but as I opened the door there was a whiff of brimstone in the air. I was expecting one, maybe two packages depending on how they packaged it. but there were three.
    YZXcVWPh.jpg
    So pretend there's a second larger envelope in this picture, as I didn't realize it was also from the dark lord at first and figure nobody wants a seperate picture of another bubble mailer I've already opened. At any rate, to the contents of the first envelope!
    42oDZiGh.jpg
    Mask of the Phantasm! Definitely one of the better Batman movies and one I've been meaning to pickup since they released this HD Remaster. It also means I now actually have a copy of the movie to go with this:
    k86wgGjh.jpg

The second package was much larger still, and opening it revealed...
    yUMJYCTh.jpg
    A trio of excellent movies that I really have no excuse for not already owning. I'm gonna have to have a marathon soon. Thanks Satan!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I was just complaining the other day that I didn't own O Brother on Blu Ray, that is a fucking savage collection of videos.

Soooo, even though I felt like I showed my appreciation for Yuletide socks by sharing the tale of my family's traditional sock beaning, I must have angered the Sock Elves by saying I didn't want socks as an actual present because come Christmas Eve at the family gathering, there was one person who did not get the traditional pair of socks. Twas me. Oh, a parcel of wrapped socks were thrown at me, but they had my Aunt's name on them. The excuse later was that they didn't think I'd show up. Which I suppose is fair, except I had confirmed three separate times to this one. I do appreciate my Aunt saving me any potential embarrassment by throwing her socks at me while shouting my name but still. Was a rough moment. And they were the normal white ankle socks this year, blast it! I'm not keeping ill-gotten socks.
    My cousin messaged my Mother on FB to make sure I wasn't offended by being left off the sock list. I said I wasn't, but you know what Sara!? YES! I was! My cousin's weirdo new husband got socks (and hit in the face. Duck, dummy!) but I've had to master my sock dodging skills for over 3 decades and got nothing. Damn right, I'm offended.
    Still don't wear socks. Ha!
    You guys have given awesome gifts this year (and every year) and the socks have been wild. Fantastic job. You guys are great. I like you all.