As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    it would be nice if different material has a different building color. id like sandstone to be the tan color it is, bit if i build a room out of abyssalite, id like to designate the color red or dark purple or something so i know at a glance where i need to rebuild rooms.

part of my anxiety with the game is that once you get so big, its impossible to see at a glance what ive built something out of.

using insulated sandstone is nice, and a good stepping stone to speed up the colony, but when i start digging abyssal in earnest i want to know what is and is not made of certain materials.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    it would be nice if different material has a different building color. id like sandstone to be the tan color it is, bit if i build a room out of abyssalite, id like to designate the color red or dark purple or something so i know at a glance where i need to rebuild rooms.

part of my anxiety with the game is that once you get so big, its impossible to see at a glance what ive built something out of.

using insulated sandstone is nice, and a good stepping stone to speed up the colony, but when i start digging abyssal in earnest i want to know what is and is not made of certain materials.

True. Though, if you are worried about rebuilding stuff, if you choose a different material with the same item type, it will build over it as if it was placing a new item, without needing to deconstruct or check.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    true enough, but that comes from knowing i need to plan for it. i mention being able to know at a glance because this game has a habit of side tracking me to put down various emergencies when what i was initially going to work on would have solved it. looking at a glance id be able to prompt myself and say, yea, that needs redoing now before its an emergency.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, I don't know if anyone here is still playing, but I tried to fire this up again after several weeks hiatus, and it seems to crash on startup. I get a new window (says unity and the version number, with the dupe icon and a white exclamation point in a red box) that looks like something is trying to update but the wait bar gets about halfway through, and then seems to crash with no error or warning message. I've tried doing some googling, but have come up empty. Has anyone been having problems this this?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I've been taking a break until a few updates go by. Got tired of rejiggering everything every update. Definitely will be coming back after the new QoL update.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Update on the not launching issue. Apparently Unity has some kind of bizarre bug with Citrix Receiver (a remote desktop-esque program) that stops unity from installing. So, just FYI, if you run into that problem.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Update on the not launching issue. Apparently Unity has some kind of bizarre bug with Citrix Receiver (a remote desktop-esque program) that stops unity from installing. So, just FYI, if you run into that problem.

Huh, I've definitely had ONI installed on my work computer before, and I just recently installed Citrix receiver, so I would have probably run into this. Thanks for the heads up.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So I got this for Christmas from a friend and my life may potentially be destroyed. I did not expect... anything I've seen so far. The level of detail for scientific measurements and such. It's demanding me to make the calculations in my head which I'm bad at.

I'm still trying to figure it all out, and I haven't used even half of the tools available to me.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm having trouble with automation. I'm always hesitant to try it out in colonies that are going well enough to get to that point but I finally installed a goddamn smart battery and it ruined everything. I can't figure out how to get it to stop ruining everything without deconstructing it and everything it's ever touched.

At first it worked fine, I plugged it into my power source (carbon generator), and set it to 100 and 30. Then I put in a transformer and a power station and hooked both of those up and then it all shut down. I can get everything going again by jacking active status all the way up but then it gives me a bunch of alarms and only works for so long anyway. It's possible I'm connecting them the wrong way but meanwhile nothing has had power for like 10 cycles.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Smart batteries are the way and the light.

When you hook one up, make sure that you're running a power line that connects both and have an automation wire connecting the battery and the generator.

You can ignore the generator control bar, I usually set it to 0, and only control it from the battery.

What's great about the smart battery (and other automation things like sensors) is you can change it yourself directly and it updates instantly, so you can directly turn things on and off without needing dupes.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Okay, so how do I get everything running again? I keep thinking that just maybe I screwed up plugging in the transformer, but it seems fine and the batteries are all charged.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ceres wrote: »
    Okay, so how do I get everything running again? I keep thinking that just maybe I screwed up plugging in the transformer, but it seems fine and the batteries are all charged.

Do you also have the automation wire connected? You must have at some point, or else the smart battery would just function like a normal one, but you mighht have deleted a segment (something that I do way to often since I don't use filters)

Also I have just realized my information might be a couple of updates out of date.

Wish I could be more specific, but I am sitting at work and this is just going off memory. (I could try and draw it out in paint, but that's just going to confuse things even more)

edit: If you click on the automation filter, it should show you the state of the automation signal. Might give you an idea if the problem lies with the automation or the power setup.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    The new option to print something random is pretty rad, probably my favorite thing. Like "if you don't want any of these goo slaves can I interest you in a bunch of this random thing?" Once I was offered 400kg refined copper instead of a person.

I should have taken the copper.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    One of the things I liked about this game was that anybody could do anything and they would prioritize themselves based on the most skilled.

Trying to make a thing and seeing that you need a dedicated job in order to do it at all really sucks. Especially since there's no undo button for skill points? So once you click it, its permanent.

Edit: I guess this makes sense since the old way made it seem like they were confined to one job and now they can have multiple skills. I never got too far with jobs tho so still wrapping my head around it.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I printed some ice and now i don't know what to do with it. Can I just tell them to drop it in the water?

Working on researching a fridge so maybe I can put it in there :rotate:

Bedlam on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    There's a skill-reset machine that does what it says on the can.

• Options
    I think you have to have them sweep up the ice and place it in a container above a mesh tile, and then uncheck ice from the container allowed materials.

At least, thats the only way I've been able to do it.

• Options
    RESEARCH IS SLOW OK!

I MADE THIS DUDE AN ARTIST AND NOW HE IS A FANCY BOI WHO DOESN'T WANT TO RESEARCH ALL THAT MUCH MAKING RESEARCH SLOW!

:rotate:

• Options
    How are you setting their personal priorities? You can control how each dupe prioritizes each task.

• Options
    I think you have to have them sweep up the ice and place it in a container above a mesh tile, and then uncheck ice from the container allowed materials.

At least, thats the only way I've been able to do it.

You don't even have to remove it from the container. It will just melt out.

I was excited for this update, but since they released and said that there will be 2 new biomed in the launch release in a month, I don't really want to go too deep on it to just have to spawn a new map.

Excited for launch though. Finally I will be able to so it all without worrying about changes goofing it all up.

Really excited about getting the new steam turbine working with a volcano.

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Finally I will be able to so it all without worrying about changes goofing it all up.
    Till the DLC comes :wink:

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Finally I will be able to so it all without worrying about changes goofing it all up.
    Till the DLC comes :wink:

Yeah, hopefully that will be longer than a month away for major changes.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    There's some pretty neat mods on the steam workshop. They've been there for a while but now it's much easier to get it setup.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I especially like this one that allows you to flip pretty much any machine, it also flips the inputs and outputs if the machine has them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1715709940

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, Iron Volcano.

How do I set up the means to get that sweet refined metal without having my entire base boil alive?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    If you can make a steam turbine you could try filling the area around/under the volcano with water and let it boil into steam.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I like playing this game but boy I have a really hard time transitioning into other biomes. I’ve got my coal power and hatch ranching started but managing gas is where I lose it. Any tips for transitioning out of the starting biome?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, Iron Volcano.

How do I set up the means to get that sweet refined metal without having my entire base boil alive?

You can go in with exosuits. It won't heat up the area that fast. Ultimately you will want a cooling loop set up, with a way to delete heat.

• Options
    If you can make a steam turbine you could try filling the area around/under the volcano with water and let it boil into steam.

You usually want a 2 chamber setup with that, and you would want a better heat generating volcano. One that spews lava.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    swamp biome: Get deoderizers to place sporadically through polluted oxygen areas to slowly kill airborne slimelung and dig slowly through the slime. To safely store slime place in a storage unit under at least 2 blocks of water. Pay close attention to immunity levels and germ population on dupes to maintain safety, but not the end of the world if one or two get sick.

caustic biome: insulated tiles on exposed areas to protect base besides single door and just 2 tile tall tunnels to find wheezeworts in the ice biomes to help heat problems. To handle gasses outside the base just dig out a lot and pressurize the area with oxygen the hydrogen will rise to the top and chlorine to the bottom.

Early on to handle CO2 I just dig out areas below where I actually want dupes to spend time so it settles down and 99% of the time I dig out a bowl with only the top open to create a CO2 cavity to store food without worry of spoiling. This requires you to be very careful to keep your base pressurized and not fall behind of oxygen production.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    So, Iron Volcano.

You can go in with exosuits. It won't heat up the area that fast. Ultimately you will want a cooling loop set up, with a way to delete heat.

"How to build a cooling loop." Was kind of the question I was asking. I understand the theory and most of the parts involved, and can mostly do it for cool steam vents and electrolizers, I just can't seem to put it all together in my head for that much heat, much less make it in-game.
    swamp biome: Get deoderizers to place sporadically through polluted oxygen areas to slowly kill airborne slimelung and dig slowly through the slime. To safely store slime place in a storage unit under at least 2 blocks of water. Pay close attention to immunity levels and germ population on dupes to maintain safety, but not the end of the world if one or two get sick.

caustic biome: insulated tiles on exposed areas to protect base besides single door and just 2 tile tall tunnels to find wheezeworts in the ice biomes to help heat problems. To handle gasses outside the base just dig out a lot and pressurize the area with oxygen the hydrogen will rise to the top and chlorine to the bottom.

Early on to handle CO2 I just dig out areas below where I actually want dupes to spend time so it settles down and 99% of the time I dig out a bowl with only the top open to create a CO2 cavity to store food without worry of spoiling. This requires you to be very careful to keep your base pressurized and not fall behind of oxygen production.

Just an addendum; you want to get ALL the Polluted Oxygen before you start digging deeper into slime; slimelung might die off in clean O2 but it isn't fast enough that a pocket of polluted air won't still spread it. Deoderizers work in a 9x9 area, blocked by most tiles, so you want them about that often, even if it mean building a platform to get the air that's up near the ceiling.

Also, the rework on how diseases get contracted and cured in the last QoL update really makes it a good idea to crack the caustic biome first, because what was once "good enough" in terms of controlling slimelung now results in about a third of your dupes constantly getting sick. And while it's no longer lethal, it is about 3 cycles of slowed movement, interrupted tasks from gasping for air and spreading more slimelung with coughing, and the instant cure take balm lillies to make.

Also, once you've figured out what you want to use your slime for and got the process set up, I'd make a second transitionary storage area (by reducing the storage limit and setting it to a higher proority, with the dupes that use the slime not allowed to the area the slime is stored and via versa) that's in chlorine gas, to kill off all the slimelung. Otherwise you'll get things like your algae oxidizes spewing slimelung everywhere.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, Iron Volcano.

"How to build a cooling loop." Was kind of the question I was asking. I understand the theory and most of the parts involved, and can mostly do it for cool steam vents and electrolizers, I just can't seem to put it all together in my head for that much heat, much less make it in-game.

Just an addendum; you want to get ALL the Polluted Oxygen before you start digging deeper into slime; slimelung might die off in clean O2 but it isn't fast enough that a pocket of polluted air won't still spread it. Deoderizers work in a 9x9 area, blocked by most tiles, so you want them about that often, even if it mean building a platform to get the air that's up near the ceiling.

Also, the rework on how diseases get contracted and cured in the last QoL update really makes it a good idea to crack the caustic biome first, because what was once "good enough" in terms of controlling slimelung now results in about a third of your dupes constantly getting sick. And while it's no longer lethal, it is about 3 cycles of slowed movement, interrupted tasks from gasping for air and spreading more slimelung with coughing, and the instant cure take balm lillies to make.

Also, once you've figured out what you want to use your slime for and got the process set up, I'd make a second transitionary storage area (by reducing the storage limit and setting it to a higher proority, with the dupes that use the slime not allowed to the area the slime is stored and via versa) that's in chlorine gas, to kill off all the slimelung. Otherwise you'll get things like your algae oxidizes spewing slimelung everywhere.

So building a cooling loop usually goes something like this.

Make pipes filled with a liquid with favorable thermal qualities from the place that needs cooling to the thing that does the cooling. Usually petroleum or crude oil is recommended because they have good heat transfer but also won't freeze or vaporize breaking your pipes. You will want materials that are resistant to heat change between the hot point and the cold point so you aren't spreading heat. Then you will want a radiator setup in the thermal nullifier or wheezewort area and one in the volcano area. Just zig zag radiant pipes back and forth through the areas.

Most people fill these areas with hydrogen for better heat transfer.

Then some simple automation should keep it from constantly pumping and preserve cooling power for other uses. A liquid shutoff before the area to be cooled and a temperature sensor should do. Set it to above (or below? Whichever one sends the shutoff signal) ... whatever you consider to be a reasonable temperature.

You can do fancy math and stuff and figure out how much cooling can be done with the nullifier. I've never done that. I mostly just brute force trial and error everything.

If you're into doing all the math, I like Brothgar's videos on YouTube. He does all the math and figures out a lot of stuff that way. Charts. All that

Here is a recent one.

https://youtu.be/duIKnJWmrP0

I've definitely seen ones he's made on setting up cooling loops, even one on using the iron or gold from volcanoes.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I think one of my favorite moments with this game is when I've created a literal spaghetti monster of criss-crossing vents or pipes, and bask at the overly complex system I have made, usually because I've overly constrained myself on space or I stubbornly refuse to tear down the whole system to make it better.

For the latest example; bask in the horror of one of my Oxidizer cooling systems!

6J8vkme.jpg

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This is one of those games that when you see someone else's build (Like this Drecko farm) you suddenly feel like you should have paid more attention in school.

• Options
    I'm getting pretty excited for the full release. soon.

I was fiddling with designing a self sanitizing water system for my bathrooms which would then feed into my electrolyzer. Just a little automation and it would feed the water into a holding reservoir and then move it to a sanitizing reservoir submerged in chlorine. Then through the water sieve and to the electrolyzer. Then to the cold biome AETN.

• Options
    Apparently the full release has been delayed until July. Not sure if there will be any update next week.

• Options
    chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular
    A beta test of the full release was just released to the public.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/oni-alpha/346893-r789/

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I posted over in SE++, but it feels like the starts on Verdant and Arborial are actually a lot harder/slower. You'll be relying on microbe mushers for mush bars for a decent amount of time unless you sprint for a farmer to get mealwood going ASAP, because the biomes don't have your normal array of burried muckroot and seeds.

Also, you don't get algae by default so oxygen generation can be exciting depending on how your adjacent biomes are seeded.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So I posted over in SE++, but it feels like the starts on Verdant and Arborial are actually a lot harder/slower. You'll be relying on microbe mushers for mush bars for a decent amount of time unless you sprint for a farmer to get mealwood going ASAP, because the biomes don't have your normal array of burried muckroot and seeds.

Also, you don't get algae by default so oxygen generation can be exciting depending on how your adjacent biomes are seeded.

Looks like Oxyferns are your early O2 makers in those kinds of starts, though the need for CO2 and the fact it takes 3 for every dupe to supply enough O2 makes them a little cumbersome for large bases.

Napkin math suggests their CO2->O2 conversion is almost a perfect flip for dupes, so no skimmers aren't necessary until you move to another O2 source or start burning coal.

EDIT: Also seems like the new biomes haven't been given that many buried objects on worldgen. Most are in the normal default, true, but I counted about 3 in the entire starting arboreal biome I could see but could also find just as many in the bit of caustic biome that was next door.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like the release version is ramping up the difficulty, with wheezeworts needing fertilizer and algae not being readily available anymore?

I'm glad they added an easier mode instead of a creative mode, I'll probably jump back in next week.