As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRaV_LNUMDc

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Important announcement:

Kingdom: Two Crowns is good. It's Kingdom, but more, and also you can play co-op split screen.

I bought the previous one on a whim and it became one of my favorite games, so having a fresh version is great.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Important announcement:

Kingdom: Two Crowns is good. It's Kingdom, but more, and also you can play co-op split screen.

I bought the previous one on a whim and it became one of my favorite games, so having a fresh version is great.

Holy shit is this like King Arthur's World for SNES? That was my fav and I might get this if it's a side scrolling strategy.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      edited December 2018
      Sterica wrote: »
      So are third-party docks still a dicey investment?

I’m traveling with my Switch a bit more, and feeling lazy. So I really want a set of travel gear so all I have to do is toss my Switch in a case with a secondary dock, ac adapter, and hdmi cable all ready in my bag. So there is no longer a chore of unplugging and replugging everything when I get home.

At 90 bucks the official dock is hideously overpriced, but after the nyko scare, I’m hesitant to buy third-party. That Insignia dock at under half the price is mighty tempting though. It’s almost another Switch game in savings!

No-one has been able to find claims of Insignia frying their Switch in the year or so its been on the market. Of course who knows what a firmware update could do, but in theory, if a dock just plain limited the power draw below that danger level (regardless of what the Switch asks for), it should be fine.

That said the official dock was just $70 around Thanksgiving holiday, maybe you can still find it for that somewhere. Gamestop will sell used ones for that at least.

rahkeesh2000 on
    • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I've been using the Insignia as a secondary dock for several months and never had a problem.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
      I've been playing Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix and it's... OK. It's fine.

It's a budget Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre type of game, and while it's nothing exceptional it's, y'know, it's fine. It scratches that JSRPG itch. At least until Fire Emblem releases.

And in spite of the weird title, the localization is pretty acceptable.

But there is one moment early on I felt worth mentioning.
      As you may have guessed from the game's title, you play a band of mercenaries. And after the first couple of missions, your employer kind of stops paying you, but promises they'll pay you after the campaign's over. So you and your group have to decide if you stick with your employer or part ways.

I decided to part ways, because mercenaries are supposed to get paid and also your employer has Bad Guy written all over him.

And then your employer murders you. All of you. 'Cuz they don't want to take the chance you might start working for the enemy.

Then your group gets resurrected by (I assume the titular) phoenix and the game goes on.

But it does make me wonder what happens when you decide to stick with your employer. I assume your group has to die for the whole phoenix plot point to happen, but there'd be no reason for your employer to kill you all. Assuming, of course, this isn't a false choice and the game really does let you commit to fighting at your employer's side. At least until the current war's over the bill comes due.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      Namrok wrote: »
      So I spun up Labyrinth of Refrain today, and woah boy.

Ok, straight up, it's scratched that itch I've had since I beat Wizardry VI a while ago. That super crunchy, and yet still weirdly accessible grider gameplay. I mean, I'm only 3 levels in so far, but it has ample "Fuck you" and "Fuck the game" mechanics in equal measure. Every labor it throws at you has a relief. So I'm digging it. I'm really digging it. Elminage Gothic was recommended to me when I was jonsing for a "modern" Wizardry game. Etrian Odyssey too. But this hits that very particular spot better than any of those.

Then again, I barely got even a level into Elminage Gothic, and I've never beaten an Etrian Odyssey, although I got pretty close to beating the first one before burning out.

But, if you are the sort of person to ever unironically utter the word "problematic", this is probably not for you. So just save yourself the discomfort, and save the people around you having to hear you complain.

Although it does strike me as somewhat amusing that it scratches that Wizardry VI itch, since reading the CRPG Addict's entries on it, he caused a minor kerfuffle complaining about all the 80's Heavy Metal-esque casual titilation in that game.

So yeah, if you like Wizardry, and you don't mind politically incorrect gender relations handled without any sensitivity what so ever. fucking get this game.

It's an audience so small frankly I'm shocked it got localized. But glad it did all the same.

I somehow always forget about this game but I loved the demo!

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      I've been playing Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix and it's... OK. It's fine.

It's a budget Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre type of game, and while it's nothing exceptional it's, y'know, it's fine. It scratches that JSRPG itch. At least until Fire Emblem releases.

And in spite of the weird title, the localization is pretty acceptable.

But there is one moment early on I felt worth mentioning.
      As you may have guessed from the game's title, you play a band of mercenaries. And after the first couple of missions, your employer kind of stops paying you, but promises they'll pay you after the campaign's over. So you and your group have to decide if you stick with your employer or part ways.

I decided to part ways, because mercenaries are supposed to get paid and also your employer has Bad Guy written all over him.

And then your employer murders you. All of you. 'Cuz they don't want to take the chance you might start working for the enemy.

Then your group gets resurrected by (I assume the titular) phoenix and the game goes on.

But it does make me wonder what happens when you decide to stick with your employer. I assume your group has to die for the whole phoenix plot point to happen, but there'd be no reason for your employer to kill you all. Assuming, of course, this isn't a false choice and the game really does let you commit to fighting at your employer's side. At least until the current war's over the bill comes due.

If it's truly Tactics Ogre inspired, then there should be at least one major branching choice.

• DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular

Ok, straight up, it's scratched that itch I've had since I beat Wizardry VI a while ago. That super crunchy, and yet still weirdly accessible grider gameplay. I mean, I'm only 3 levels in so far, but it has ample "Fuck you" and "Fuck the game" mechanics in equal measure. Every labor it throws at you has a relief. So I'm digging it. I'm really digging it. Elminage Gothic was recommended to me when I was jonsing for a "modern" Wizardry game. Etrian Odyssey too. But this hits that very particular spot better than any of those.

Then again, I barely got even a level into Elminage Gothic, and I've never beaten an Etrian Odyssey, although I got pretty close to beating the first one before burning out.

But, if you are the sort of person to ever unironically utter the word "problematic", this is probably not for you. So just save yourself the discomfort, and save the people around you having to hear you complain.

Although it does strike me as somewhat amusing that it scratches that Wizardry VI itch, since reading the CRPG Addict's entries on it, he caused a minor kerfuffle complaining about all the 80's Heavy Metal-esque casual titilation in that game.

So yeah, if you like Wizardry, and you don't mind politically incorrect gender relations handled without any sensitivity what so ever. fucking get this game.

It's an audience so small frankly I'm shocked it got localized. But glad it did all the same.

Wouldn't Wizardry VII or VIII serve you pretty well if you were after more Wizardry?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
      edited December 2018
      Anyone in this spot: its a new year, I guess it is time to upsize my sd card yet again?

mojojoeo on
      Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      urahonky wrote: »

LoR is good fun and the story is really good too.

It was a nice change of pace to have a Protag be such a straight up horrible human being (though not a monster!).

The story portion of the game isn't anything too challenging, which is fine I loved the story. The post game is where min/maxing your party becomes more needed.

Though if you're the type who enjoys these types of games then you'll probably enjoy the post game quite a bit too.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      mojojoeo wrote: »
      Anyone in this spot: its a new year, I guess it is time to upsize my sd card yet again?

I actually haven't needed to buy an SD card yet. Though I'm cart only except for eShop titles so far. I think it said I have 18gb left, but 4 or so is my kids taking videos...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

Wouldn't Wizardry VII or VIII serve you pretty well if you were after more Wizardry?

So Wizardry VIII is a very different game from Wizardry VI.

VII would be good, but all I have is the "Gold" edition that runs in 16-bit Windows. I actually did set up a Windows 3.1 instance in Dosbox to give it a spin. But the game wound up looking like ass since it doesn't scale anything up to match the desktop resolution. So even with Doxbos scaling up the Windows 3.1 desktop for me, Wizardry Gold still wasn't using up all that desktop space.

I know a DOS version exists if I get the game again on GOG. I'll probably get that at some point. But a personal quirk of mine is that as much as I think I want to binge franchise entries back to back, I actually don't. I get an hour into the next franchise entry and burn out, never to return. It's better for me to dick around with some other games for a year or so and then come back to it.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
      edited December 2018
      My son got Pokemon Yel- Let's Go Pikachu for Solstice (we don't celebrate Christmas), and it's really a cool little game. Nice crisp graphics, smoothed gameplay over the original, and the pokeball controller is pretty neat honestly.

It's his first Switch game that is his. Right now he's in the other room excitedly shouting about how he caught a bulbasaur.

Edit: I also bought my wife Katamari Reroll and I would say it's recommended. Everything including the controls are way snappier than the PS2 version (which we still have and play from time to time).

Mblackwell on
      Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

Axen wrote: »

LoR is good fun and the story is really good too.

It was a nice change of pace to have a Protag be such a straight up horrible human being (though not a monster!).

The story portion of the game isn't anything too challenging, which is fine I loved the story. The post game is where min/maxing your party becomes more needed.

Though if you're the type who enjoys these types of games then you'll probably enjoy the post game quite a bit too.

You're not making it any easier to resist! Lol

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Important announcement:

Holy shit is this like King Arthur's World for SNES? That was my fav and I might get this if it's a side scrolling strategy.
      @TimFiji from a quick glance at YouTube I would say it's more a tower defense game? It's also very simplified; all you do is move left and right, pick up coins, and deposit coins to recruit/upgrade/buy/etc. There's almost no active controlling or commanding of units or stuff like that.

You upgrade and expand your base while recruiting people who show up in the wilderness, then start repairing your ship so you can move to the next island.

It's a gorgeous game where all of it comes together to be a very quiet, very moody-in-a-sort-of-lush-way experience.

If you like discovering things there are a bunch of little features that you come across as you're playing so I'd advise against looking too deep into its wiki or whatever.

Mblackwell wrote: »
      My son got Pokemon Yel- Let's Go Pikachu for Solstice (we don't celebrate Christmas), and it's really a cool little game. Nice crisp graphics, smoothed gameplay over the original, and the pokeball controller is pretty neat honestly.

It's his first Switch game that is his. Right now he's in the other room excitedly shouting about how he caught a bulbasaur.

Edit: I also bought my wife Katamari Reroll and I would say it's recommended. Everything including the controls are way snappier than the PS2 version (which we still have and play from time to time).

I mean, catching a Bulbasaur is pretty tricky, so I can understand his excitement.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Important announcement:

@TimFiji from a quick glance at YouTube I would say it's more a tower defense game? It's also very simplified; all you do is move left and right, pick up coins, and deposit coins to recruit/upgrade/buy/etc. There's almost no active controlling or commanding of units or stuff like that.

You upgrade and expand your base while recruiting people who show up in the wilderness, then start repairing your ship so you can move to the next island.

It's a gorgeous game where all of it comes together to be a very quiet, very moody-in-a-sort-of-lush-way experience.

If you like discovering things there are a bunch of little features that you come across as you're playing so I'd advise against looking too deep into its wiki or whatever.

Ah dang. Thanks for the response. Still looks fun but man I'm ways hankering for more of that game

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
        edited January 2019
        Whoa this thread exists.

Labyrinth of Refrain is awesome, if you like Japanese RPGs and slowly mapping your way through dungeons.

In typical NIS fashion they do everything ridiculously over the top, you end up with an active fighting party of 15 characters at once which is just crazy. A turn based JPRG with all those attacks going on every round! But it moves along briskly enough. It's actually 5 groups of 3 characters each, so sort of a party of 5 with each attacking 3 times. When you cast a spell it's the team of 3 working together on that one spell. And you use an alternate resource to issue different orders to each of the 3 members if you want them to switch up equipment or use an item individually.

The story starts off feeling like mean-spirited/dark trying to be comedic about it, sort of feels a little tone-deaf but you start getting into the characters, and after a while Stuff happens, you start learning what's going on, and all the characters become great when you understand who they are and their motivations and back stories. By the end (I'm almost to the last boss) it comes together in a pretty cool way. Like, did not expect these raunchy comedy throwaway characters to end up in that role. It delivers.

It also feels a lot like the very old Wizardry games as mentioned above, due to the weird things you encounter in the labyrinth. You're essentially visiting a bunch of different universes/worlds so nothing makes sense, half the characters down there seem insane or busy with their own personal issues. Meet a gross little bird whipping a giant woman. Just like the old Wizardries.

My complaints would be that the combat systems are put together oddly - your team slots into "pacts" which are like containers for party members, and it's the pacts that have spells in them you can cast. "Caster" classes learn no spells, it's completely on you to put them into pacts that give them spells, and sometimes that's not possible or convenient. And balance is all over the place, it doesn't feel like you have access to a lot of tactical choices as in a game like Etrian Odyssey, either you wipe the floor with everything by auto-attacking or you die quickly (usually wipe the floor with everything). There are status effects flying all over the place in combat in both directions but it doesn't feel like they really matter other than startle (lose a turn, super useful on tough monsters).

Probably takes a certain type of person to enjoy it but if you're the right type, it's great.

UncleSporky on
        Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
        Whoa this thread exists.

Labyrinth of Refrain is awesome, if you like Japanese RPGs and slowly mapping your way through dungeons.

In typical NIS fashion they do everything ridiculously over the top, you end up with an active fighting party of 15 characters at once which is just crazy. A turn based JPRG with all those attacks going on every round! But it moves along briskly enough. It's actually 5 groups of 3 characters each, so sort of a party of 5 with each brigade attacking 3 times. When you cast a spell it's the team of 3 working together on that one spell. And you use an alternate resource to issue different orders to each of the 3 members if you want them to switch up equipment or use an item individually.

The story starts off feeling like mean-spirited/dark trying to be comedic about it, sort of feels a little tone-deaf but you start getting into the characters, and after a while Stuff happens, you start learning what's going on, and all the characters become great when you understand who they are and their motivations and back stories. By the end (I'm almost to the last boss) it comes together in a pretty cool way. Like, did not expect these raunchy comedy throwaway characters to end up in that role. It delivers.

It also feels a lot like the very old Wizardry games as mentioned above, due to the weird things you encounter in the labyrinth. You're essentially visiting a bunch of different universes/worlds so nothing makes sense, half the characters down there seem insane or busy with their own personal issues. Meet a gross little bird whipping a giant woman. Just like the old Wizardries.

My complaints would be that the combat systems are put together oddly - your team slots into "pacts" which are like containers for party members, and it's the pacts that have spells in them you can cast. "Caster" classes learn no spells, it's completely on you to put them into pacts that give them spells, and sometimes that's not possible or convenient. And balance is all over the place, it doesn't feel like you have access to a lot of tactical choices as in a game like Etrian Odyssey, either you wipe the floor with everything by auto-attacking or you die quickly (usually wipe the floor with everything). There are status effects flying all over the place in combat in both directions but it doesn't feel like they really matter other than startle (lose a turn, super useful on tough monsters).

Probably takes a certain type of person to enjoy it but if you're the right type, it's great.

You have done this long-winded synopsis THING for a number of years now, and it is always fairly eloquent, hits on a bunch of neat systems within systems or a seeming depth one wouldn't expect on the surface, and I'd imagine you generate a blip on the sales chart of the game for a week or so. Are you able to monetize that in some way, perhaps as a periodical PA Review piece or something?

camo_sig2.png
      • FryFry Registered User regular
        Labyrinth of Refrain is going to be my first physical purchase, since it's significantly cheaper there than on the online shop. Thanks, dekudeals.

There's some way you can get partial credit for nintendo funbucks for physical purchases, right?

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
        So! I got one of these for Christmas! Well, bought for myself! Got smash ultimate, and Mario + Rabbids.

I think my next purchase is going to be New Super Mario Bros U deluxe, as i never played that on Wii U and it looks real good (plus i'm craving a good 2d platformer).

Splatoon 2, Snipperclips, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Oddsey, possibly Breath of the Wild (played and beaten on Wii U, but lacking in DLC) are all to get goals, as well as Bayonetta 3, Yoshi's Crafted World & Animal Crossing whenever they release. So, from this list... what do you think i'm missing? How do Rayman Legends and Tropical Freeze stack up?

Also, beyond screen protector, carry case, and a pro-controller, are there any must have/good to have accessories? Any other tips for a new switch owner?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
        Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
        Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
        Switch: 0293 6817 9891
        If you plan on playing undocked this stand is quite nice.

also get kingdom: two crowns and rain world

• MorranMorran Registered User regular
        So! I got one of these for Christmas! Well, bought for myself! Got smash ultimate, and Mario + Rabbids.

I think my next purchase is going to be New Super Mario Bros U deluxe, as i never played that on Wii U and it looks real good (plus i'm craving a good 2d platformer).

Splatoon 2, Snipperclips, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Oddsey, possibly Breath of the Wild (played and beaten on Wii U, but lacking in DLC) are all to get goals, as well as Bayonetta 3, Yoshi's Crafted World & Animal Crossing whenever they release. So, from this list... what do you think i'm missing? How do Rayman Legends and Tropical Freeze stack up?

Also, beyond screen protector, carry case, and a pro-controller, are there any must have/good to have accessories? Any other tips for a new switch owner?

Since you crave good 2D platformer, i would add Celeste, steamworld dig 1/2, guccamelee 1/2, hollow knight, inside/limbo and possibly gris to the list.

edited January 2019
        So I got Dynasty Warriors 8... again. And it's sucking up a bunch of my time. Again.

Although this time I'm going through Ambition Mode with someone other than Zhurong, so that's different for once. I've also managed to not buy Hyrule Warriors again.

So, you know, it's cool. It's fine. I got this Musou thing under control. I don't have a problem.

WotanAnubis on
      • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
        Morran wrote: »
        Since you crave good 2D platformer, i would add Celeste, steamworld dig 1/2, guccamelee 1/2, hollow knight, inside/limbo and possibly gris to the list.

Steamworld dig 1 & 2 i've played on Steam, and dont feel the need to revist. I've beaten Guccamelee and will probably get 2 at some point, but only on a deep discount - I have Opinions TM on the gameplay. Celeste's a really good suggestion though, as is hollow knight!

Inside and Limbo i'm not sure about, but i'll keep an eye out. Gris looks pretty great
        If you plan on playing undocked this stand is quite nice.

also get kingdom: two crowns and rain world

Thanks! I've added that to my amazon wishlist for now, as i'm dead broke. Looks very useful for my preferred style of play.

Kingdom two crowns - sell me on it, what does it it involve? Rain World's been on the agenda to get on pc for a while - do you know how the switch port stacks up vs PC?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
        Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
        Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
        Switch: 0293 6817 9891
        Oh I also wanted to say, for anyone thinking about getting into Labyrinth of Refrain, there are two things that I would say are important to know at character creation, that aren't really spoilers. They are the kind of dumb hidden mechanics that I always find annoying when you find out much later that you screwed up something you couldn't have had any idea about. I stumbled across them while starting out and I'm glad I did.

- Luck is a hidden stat that influences a lot of things, and it's nice to have high luck obviously. However, your luck is set in stone at character creation, based on a calculation done on the name you give them. Most names seem to give bad/middling luck. Whether by chance or intentionally, the name Lucky gives you high luck. You can also change your characters' names for a fee very early on, and this won't affect luck, since it's set at creation. So I would recommend just naming everyone Lucky and then turning around and changing it to what you really want.

- A character's "lucky number" is different from luck, and it's something you choose at character creation. It is the only thing about a character that can never be changed. It doesn't affect very much at all, except at the absolute end of the game...there is a pact that gives characters who have even lucky numbers 666% EXP gain, and it's the primary way of endgame leveling. Imagine playing a game for 60-80 hours and then finding out that half your team is going to take 6 times longer to level up. Yeah. So make sure you choose even lucky numbers.

DaringDirk wrote: »
        You have done this long-winded synopsis THING for a number of years now, and it is always fairly eloquent, hits on a bunch of neat systems within systems or a seeming depth one wouldn't expect on the surface, and I'd imagine you generate a blip on the sales chart of the game for a week or so. Are you able to monetize that in some way, perhaps as a periodical PA Review piece or something?

I highly doubt what I post gives bumps to any sales, Penny Arcade isn't that big a forum, combined with boiling it down to just the Switch thread or whatever. And I'm not necessarily setting out to bump sales, just telling like-minded forum dudes games they might enjoy, hopefully. Games people might miss otherwise. I don't think I tend to write big statements on games everyone knows are good or are reviewed to death already.

I don't mean to be that long-winded about it, I mean they're not like 3 page reviews or anything. And I don't consider them to be eloquent, I'm not putting a lot of effort in or anything, I feel like I'm saying "good" "great" "awesome" on repeat. :P

But I appreciate the compliment anyway. :)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
        Sporky, one random note worth knowing: A player's negative luck can be dropped down enough to roll-over to maximum luck instead, so having low luck really doesn't matter much once you get items with negative luck on them I think?

What is this I don't even.
        Having high luck doesn't necessarily break the game, right? I'd hate to make the game too easy by going that route.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
        Darkewolfe wrote: »
        Sporky, one random note worth knowing: A player's negative luck can be dropped down enough to roll-over to maximum luck instead, so having low luck really doesn't matter much once you get items with negative luck on them I think?

This is peak Wizardry.

edited January 2019
        Darkewolfe wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure but I think luck only rolls over when you reincarnate (soul transfer) a character, and can't happen through equipment normally (like equipping +10 luck gear with 99 luck presumably would keep you at 99 luck).

Whether that's the case or not, I would still go for the high luck just because you can, since it's a long game you won't even think about soul transferring until endgame. Might as well set it and forget it and enjoy the benefits of high luck as long as you can. It's not difficult to do the naming thing.
        Having high luck doesn't necessarily break the game, right? I'd hate to make the game too easy by going that route.

It doesn't break the game, it's just nice to have in general. The game is already quite easy unless you bump it to nightmare mode. As one example of what luck can do, some pacts have slots that say things like "adds 10% of the character's luck value to the item drop rate after combat," so maybe you have a 10% drop rate on items after battle, and a character with 10 luck makes that 11% but a character with 99 luck makes that 19%. Minor things like that.

There are even one or two reasons you might want low luck, for example one class has a skill that increases their dodge in combat by 35% if they're very unlucky.

UncleSporky on
      • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
        I think I'm gonna buy one of the "big" indies sometime soon so that I can finally play them for the first time; I'm currently leaning towards either Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley, though Undertale and Celeste are also in the running. I might wait for a sale, because so far I think none of them have gone on sale on Switch so far.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
        edited January 2019
        Maz- wrote: »
        I think I'm gonna buy one of the "big" indies sometime soon so that I can finally play them for the first time; I'm currently leaning towards either Hollow Knight or Stardew Valley, though Undertale and Celeste are also in the running. I might wait for a sale, because so far I think none of them have gone on sale on Switch so far.

HK has been on sale at least once (that was when I picked it up), and I think Stardew has had a minor discount, too. Not sure about the other two. I think the HK discount was from $15 to $11, but it may have been to $9? In any event, it's worth every damn penny of the full $14.99.

I've played all of these except Undertale (it's on my wishlist) and boy howdy are they great. My personal vote would be for HK, which will give you a TON of content for your money. It's absolutely wonderful. Maybe the best Metroidvania I've ever played.

Stardew is a lot of content, too, but I haven't gotten into it in quite the same way. Celeste was one of my favorite games of last year (feels weird to refer to 2018 as "last year" - still warming up), and you should definitely play it, but that's more of an "I'm in the mood for this" kind of game. If you like Super Meat Boy style platforming, it's a worthy addition, but I think Hollow Knight is the most essential, must-play of the three I've played.

Looking forward to getting to Undertale early this year.

GMaster7 on
        PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
        You guys would be glad to know that Nintendo's "Birthday gift" still sucks lol. They don't even have any Switch games on it from what I can tell... Just 3DS games and WiiU games.

Of the four, I say Stardew and Undertale. Those two are more relaxing/heartwarming, the other two are the hardcore difficults.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Of the four, I say Stardew and Undertale. Those two are more relaxing/heartwarming, the other two are the hardcore difficults.

Supposedly the insane difficulty of Celeste endears people to the experience -- I mean that sucker is brutal from the first moment. I think it's supposed to give a feeling of overcoming a struggle in a heartwarming way? I gave up after the first 30 minutes, but I should try it again.

Meanwhile HK is ye olde Dark Souls, meaning bleak environment, no explanation of game mechanics and loads of bullshit to artificially make things more difficult.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
        Celeste is stupidly good, quite touching, and generally really well done. If you enjoy platformers at all it's hard to go wrong with it.

As for Undertale, well. It's one of a handful of games that have made me rethink how I engage with games. Great characters, fun writing, neat plot.

Honestly, of those four, Stardew would be the one I'd leave for last. Not because it's in any way bad, but because the other three are just stellar one-of-a-kind experiences, while Stardew is more of a relaxed time killer.

Steam ID: Right here.
      • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
        cloudeagle wrote: »

Supposedly the insane difficulty of Celeste endears people to the experience -- I mean that sucker is brutal from the first moment. I think it's supposed to give a feeling of overcoming a struggle in a heartwarming way? I gave up after the first 30 minutes, but I should try it again.

Did you dig into the accessibility/difficulty options at all? I've heard great things about the multitude of options and toggles to adjust the difficulty of the experience. I think they include things like toggling off insta-death and allowing for additional air-jumps. In my experience, it's worth seeing what you can do to make it more fun for yourself, because the story, music, art, etc. is all very worth experiencing. Boy, I loved Celeste.

I dug back into it over the past week and really, really miss hearing the music and seeing all of the new art and new mechanics in each stage. It might not be your cup of tea, which is also cool!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
      • CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Meanwhile HK is ye olde Dark Souls, meaning bleak environment, no explanation of game mechanics and loads of bullshit to artificially make things more difficult.

As someone who loves and hates Dark Souls simultaneously, I don't see Hollow Knight as lacking an explanation of game mechanics. I hate Dark Souls for that very reason but Hollow Knight does not have that issue. Finding the mapmaker is the only problem I see, but the good outweighs the bad.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
      • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
        GMaster7 wrote: »

Did you dig into the accessibility/difficulty options at all? I've heard great things about the multitude of options and toggles to adjust the difficulty of the experience. I think they include things like toggling off insta-death and allowing for additional air-jumps. In my experience, it's worth seeing what you can do to make it more fun for yourself, because the story, music, art, etc. is all very worth experiencing. Boy, I loved Celeste.

I dug back into it over the past week and really, really miss hearing the music and seeing all of the new art and new mechanics in each stage. It might not be your cup of tea, which is also cool!

I beat the A-Sides before finally backing out to the menu again. Doing it that way, I was never given an option for accessibility options (and oh god. around stage 5 I really, really would have wanted to turn them on).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List