As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Uncommon Game Suggestion for Game Night

defreakdefreak Registered User regular
My volleyball team is having a game night for team bonding. I'm looking for game suggestions, we already have the usual like Catchphrase, Pictionary, Charades, Taboo. The team is consisted of 16 year old girls, 10 players total so ideally something suited for 5 on 5, need to keep it PG-13. Please and thank you.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    defreak wrote: »
    My volleyball team is having a game night for team bonding. I'm looking for game suggestions, we already have the usual like Catchphrase, Pictionary, Charades, Taboo. The team is consisted of 16 year old girls, 10 players total so ideally something suited for 5 on 5, need to keep it PG-13. Please and thank you.
    I don't see Codenames on that list, which is the Party Game du jour nowadays. With 10 players, you can run a game of The Resistance (a social deduction "find the traitors" game similar to Mafia). Apples to Apples also works, although that's a large player count for Apples to Apples. There's a game called Once Upon A Time which is a collaborative storytelling game in which you build on each other's narratives while you try to steal the narrative from your fellow players. The Game of Things is another good party game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    defreak wrote: »
    I don't see Codenames on that list, which is the Party Game du jour nowadays. With 10 players, you can run a game of The Resistance (a social deduction "find the traitors" game similar to Mafia). Apples to Apples also works, although that's a large player count for Apples to Apples. There's a game called Once Upon A Time which is a collaborative storytelling game in which you build on each other's narratives while you try to steal the narrative from your fellow players. The Game of Things is another good party game.
    Second Codenames / Resistance.

Spank the Yeti (NOT PG-13) is, I feel, a substantial improvement on the Apples to Apples / CAH "hilarious phrase generator that for some reason needs points" genre.

Instead of the judge choosing from the player submissions, the players have to individually guess how the judge will combine three faceup card pairs. It's smoother, and no one ever feels stuck with bad cards.

If there's a PG variant of the ruleset out there, I'd recommend it over A2A.

(I don't not recommend the others, just don't know them)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Coup is great, but I’m not sure how many players the “max” is offhand. With expansions I’m certain you can go over 10. Similar to resistance but slightly different mechanics.

BoardGameGeek.com has tons of reviews and opinions on countless games. You can google “BGG <board game name>” and get their main page for almost any board game in existence.

As someone mentioned Codenames is great, and has a bunch of “themed” versions. There’s not a “high school volleyball team” theme but there’s Disney, Harry Potter, etc, in addition to the regular versions which are also excellent.

I also hear great things about the “One Night Ultimate...” series (Werewolf, Alien, etc) and that all the themes are compatible. Also a social deduction game.

Here’s a link to the bgg.com list of top “party” games

https://boardgamegeek.com/partygames/browse/boardgame

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Code names and one night ultimate werewolf are your obvious choices. Either one should be very very fun in that situation.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Or who or what am I.
    You need the cheapest sanitary pads with wings and a permanent marker.
    Everyone gets a sanitary pads andnin secret writes a thing or famous person on it with a permanent marker. Than adhere the sanitary pads to the forehead of the person on your right.
    Then everyone has to guess what is written on the pad attached to their forehead.
    You can only ask yes/no questions and the rest of the group answers. If you get a no your turn is over and the person next to you is. After 3 rounds everyone gets a hint and so on and so forth.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Yes, Coup can scale up to 10 with the faction expansion:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148931/coup-reformation

I forgot all about that, it's good.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Also, we've got an entire thread full of board-game-loving types here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/221048/board-games-arent-worth-playing-until-you-add-at-least-five-expansions#latest

Come on by and we'll feed you some more suggestions! :)

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    An overlooked gem, Pit should be fun times.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    With that number of people (and provided you have the space), you can probably get a pretty successful game of 'Two Rooms and Boom' going. You can buy the official set of cards from Amazon or there's a free print-and-play set on that link. They also provide a SUPER quick rundown on how a game is played.

Shut Up and Sit Down did a playthrough and it's pretty entertaining to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMy2EDfkTa8

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Secret Hitler is still my prefered bluffing / social deduction game. They seem to be out of stock everywhere atm, but you can download the rules and print and play cards/tokens free from their website. Rules are pretty simple, and you can get a lot of turns in, which I think helps ratchet up back-stabby fun of it.

I think some people have made Secret Voldermort or some other No-saying-Hitler versions of it too, if that is an issue.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    You might have to pair up into teams but Wits and Wagers might be a good match.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The faction expansion for Coup is really good and makes the game a lot more interesting than the base game. Bang! (card version) with expansions can also be fun. You can also have a lot of fun and hilarity with games like Ticket to ride where each team is 1-2 people depending on how large the crowd is. So I would recommend not overlooking games with a smaller maximum player number, you just need to turn them into team games.