As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I am of the opinion that the 2003 self-titled Strapping Young Lad is their best album and one of the heaviest albums ever recorded.

What day you, heshers?

City all day erry day

• yakulyakul Registered User regular
    Gotta say this has been a hell of an end to 2018 for power/prog

never really been an Avantasia fan but Raven Child rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTN2ZzpQRh4

Myrath might be a bit less experimetnal but damn this video is so cheesy good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2rKORvyOcM

and Gandalf's Fist may be returning to the Clockwork Fable setting?? https://gandalfsfist.bandcamp.com/track/leader-of-men-single

I'm hella excited for 2019

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Have you all been following the Arch Enemy vs. pit photographer story? It happened over the holidays when this thread was covered.

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    No, what's the deal? Is it because of this?

https://youtu.be/gzFI_C1nBTo

My color is black to the blind
    No, basically a pit photographer at one of her shows recently posted pictures of Alissa on his instagram page, and she and the band reposted the images, which was fine. But then a 3rd party called Thunderball clothing reposted it as well to promote the fact that Alissa was wearing their clothes. So he wrote to them and asked them to take it down or pay a license fee. He usually charges 500 Euros but said they could make a 100 Euro donation to a cancer charity instead.

Then basically Alissa and Arch Enemy's former singer (Angela?) both found out and started writing him e-mails saying he was terrible for doing so, and that he should be thankful for the exposure and that he's banned from all Arch Enemy shows in the future and that they'd try to get him banned from all shows on their record label. So he posted the e-mail exchanges and messages online and they showed that he was perfectly reasonable and polite, and the Arch Enemy people were acting like entitled babies and the online reaction has pretty much universally been 'Fuck Arch Enemy'. Thunderball Clothing's manager apologized pretty quickly, but then the company shut down after that because they were getting a ton of hate mail and death threats and stuff.

That's the last I've heard of it.

Wow, fuck Arch Enemy.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    nor (lots of choir in school, and an old boss that did regional opera and had me on a training regimen) that was once tasked to be human guideline/pitch pipe for a mezzosoprano, I love me some classically influenced vocalists of either sex.

In the prog-rock cover band I used to front I styled my delivery primarily on Roy Khan of Conception/Kamelot (god, I wished I has his tone color on the lower end of my register), Geoff Tate, and Michael Kiske (yes, I do indeed have testicles, why do you ask?).

Choir nerds represent! I was a baritone, myself.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Re: Arch Enemy.

What the actual fuck?

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    There is also drama with Batushka at the moment where the guitarist announced that the vocalist was kicked out via Instagram. The next day the vocalist announced that the guitarist was kicked out via Facebook.

Fearmeister on
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Yo, @autothrall, can we see that movie list too? The Incredibles 2 has got to be somewhere on there, right?

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
    There is also drama with Batushka at the moment where the guitarist announced that the vocalist was kicked out via Instagram. The next day the vocalist announced that the guitarist was kicked out via Facebook.

Also apparently now there are two Batushkas both claiming they're the real one and going to release new material soon.

edited January 2019
    I imagine the Bathuska run by the guy who wrote all the songs would the be "real" one.

Futt Bucker on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yo, @autothrall, can we see that movie list too? The Incredibles 2 has got to be somewhere on there, right?

Totally off topic here, but:
    18. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    17. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
    16. Apostle
    15. Summer of 84
    14. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies
    13. The House That Jack Built
    12. Aquaman
    11. Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay
    10. Avengers: Infinity War
    09. Incredibles 2
    08. Solo: A Star Wars Story
    07. Isle of Dogs
    06. Under the Silver Lake
    05. First Reformed
    04. I Think We're Alone Now
    03. Mandy
    02. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    01. A Prayer Before Dawn

And yeah yeah yeah, I loved Solo, Aquaman and Fantastic Beasts 2 and I don't care!

Just got the promo for this new Toby Knapp solo album, and it's decent shred if you dig shred or any of the dozen or so bands he's been in. Very much a raw, home recording style. That cover though...oh instrumental guitarists, you always amuse me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0IQas8qUs4

autothrall on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I’m going to assume you just didn’t watch Annihilation rather than omit it from a list that includes literal Crimes

I’m going to assume you just didn’t watch Annihilation rather than omit it from a list that includes literal Crimes

In total I think I watched 93 new movies last year. Of course I watched Annihilation, as I had read all three of Jeff's books when they came out. I thought it was fine as far as the acting and script, but some of the effects were mediocre, and the atmosphere simply never evoked the same level of dread for me that it did on the page. If I never saw it again, it would make no difference to me.

And that's all I will say about movies, seriously! We'll go way too off-topic. You can PM me about my various opinion-Crimes :P

Time we got all pastoral and 70s up in here. This album was the last one I added to my list, just got it at year's end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgoXyqU2JUc

Also congratulations to Jameson, Visigoth pulled the #1 spot on the yearly voting over at Metal-Archives!

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122913

I was completely blown away that 3 of my top 4 were also in the top 5 of the voting! Did not expect to see that in my lifetime.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Man, Kamelot hasn't been the same since Roy Khan left. Is there another band that is comparable to them in their prime, e.g. their Epica/The Black Halo cycle?

Not that's a one for one comparison. Although, if you like the presentation style of that arc and don't mind the lyrics being a combination of Japanese and Engrish there is Versailles:

https://youtu.be/niAl_paNrh0

Think of them like Kamelot if Kamelot were cosplaying and writing lyrics about being vampires.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    autothrall wrote: »
    16. Apostle
    15. Summer of 84
    12. Aquaman
    09. Incredibles 2
    07. Isle of Dogs
    05. First Reformed
    03. Mandy
    01. A Prayer Before Dawn

Yeah, I was going to PM you for it, but I figured a lot of people on this thread would want to see it too.

Also, I totally forgot that there was a new Sulphur Aeon. And now I'm also totally surprised it didn't show up on your RYM list after how good the last two were. I'll probably end up checking it out anyways.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I’ll forgive you this time, Auto! Until I saw Into the Spider-Verse, Annihilation was my favourite film of the year, so I’m just surprised to not even see it rank on a year-end list. Sorry it didn’t work for you!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man, Kamelot hasn't been the same since Roy Khan left. Is there another band that is comparable to them in their prime, e.g. their Epica/The Black Halo cycle?

Not that's a one for one comparison. Although, if you like the presentation style of that arc and don't mind the lyrics being a combination of Japanese and Engrish there is Versailles:

Think of them like Kamelot if Kamelot were cosplaying and writing lyrics about being vampires.

Huh. That's different enough it's worth more investigation. Thanks for the tip!

Don't forget Hereditary!

Annihilation was also my fav for this year. I just loved the constant state of dread I was feeling while in the zone and I adored the esoteric ending that left more questions than answers

Also, Aquaman is a Saturday morning multi million dollar livr action anime episode that knows it and goes full out and I love it for it!

This is not off topic cause these movies are metal

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Don't forget Hereditary!

Annihilation was also my fav for this year. I just loved the constant state of dread I was feeling while in the zone and I adored the esoteric ending that left more questions than answers

Also, Aquaman is a Saturday morning multi million dollar livr action anime episode that knows it and goes full out and I love it for it!

It's actually interesting to notice how much metal music has infiltrated movie soundtracks. It's not as much as classical, but it is common for all your usual action/horror/etc. movies.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

16. Apostle
    15. Summer of 84
    12. Aquaman
    09. Incredibles 2
    07. Isle of Dogs
    05. First Reformed
    03. Mandy
    01. A Prayer Before Dawn

And yeah yeah yeah, I loved Solo, Aquaman and Fantastic Beasts 2 and I don't care!

No Annihilation what is this even.

I thought BR2049 was this year but apparently not.

jungleroomx on

You are probably right, about half the movies on my list are pretty damn metal, some literally so.
    Also, I totally forgot that there was a new Sulphur Aeon. And now I'm also totally surprised it didn't show up on your RYM list after how good the last two were. I'll probably end up checking it out anyways.

Sulphur Aeon and Visigoth were actually both really close to being on my RYM 100 list, and are both strong albums. It bears repeating that those 100 albums are chosen from many, many hundreds of albums each year. I can only fit about 10% of what I've listened through.

Thanks for doing these lists every year, Auto. And for filtering through "roughly 975" (!) metal albums/EP's. I know it must get kind of annoying with us asking for your opinions all the time, but it's really cool for us to have contact with someone who has such vast exposure to music/movies/etc. and the willingness to write up about it. I know I'm still confounded as to how you find the time. You're the best.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

I was not expecting that bass solo.

Thanks for doing these lists every year, Auto. And for filtering through "roughly 975" (!) metal albums/EP's. I know it must get kind of annoying with us asking for your opinions all the time, but it's really cool for us to have contact with someone who has such vast exposure to music/movies/etc. and the willingness to write up about it.

It is my pleasure, and it's never annoying to talk about this stuff.
    I know I'm still confounded as to how you find the time.

It's nothing more than complete obsessiveness.

Yea, I could easily power through 6-7 new albums a day but that's because I can easily listen to them at work. Just download some at night and toss them in a special folder on my SD card.

6 * 365 = a lot of albums

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I was not expecting that bass solo.

Masashi is a beast. He can also do some nice slap work at times.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular

Most members went on to make the band Jupiter somewhat after the album Jubilee, currently it’s just Teru and Hizaki (guitarists) of the original lineup left. And Hizaki and Teru’s makeup game is still on-point, in addition to their guitar playing.

edited January 2019

Most members went on to make the band Jupiter somewhat after the album Jubilee, currently it’s just Teru and Hizaki (guitarists) of the original lineup left. And Hizaki and Teru’s makeup game is still on-point, in addition to their guitar playing.

Actually, they reunited Versailles after Kamijo ran solo for awhile, at least for touring. They haven't done a new album since 2012 but did put out an EP in 2017 when they played the Budokan, a concert I have the DVD of and it's fantastic and they are booked for a few dates this year.

But yeah, Hizaki and Teru are maining Jupiter right now, which isn't half bad since they got Kuze from Concerto Moon on vocals last year.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Matt Harvey of Exhumed, Gruesome, Ghoul etc has a new heavy metal band called Pounder and they're pretty great. I can't find a sample from this new album but here's the Bandcamp for their older EPs:

https://pounderheavymetal.bandcamp.com/

Also congratulations to Jameson, Visigoth pulled the #1 spot on the yearly voting over at Metal-Archives!

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122913

I was completely blown away that 3 of my top 4 were also in the top 5 of the voting! Did not expect to see that in my lifetime.

The RYM top 40 (filtered to metal of course) is not bad either!
    1. Sleep - The Sciences
    2. Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure
    3. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
    4. Judas Priest - Firepower
    5. Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms
    6. Horrendous - Idol
    7. Convulsing - Grievous
    8. The Ocean Collective - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic
    9. Chapel of Disease - ...And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye
    10. Esoctrilihum - Inhüma
    11. Deceased... - Ghostly White
    12. Amorphis - Queen of Time
    13. Voïvod - The Wake
    14. Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
    15. Svartidauði - Revelations of the Red Sword
    16. Panopticon - The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness
    17. Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name
    18. Sepulcher - Panoptic Horror
    19. Haken - Vector
    20. Funeral Mist - Hekatomb
    21. Thou - Magus
    22. Spectral Wound - Infernal Decadence
    23. Kriegsmaschine - Apocalypticists
    24. Evoken - Hypnagogia
    25. Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods
    26. Urfaust - The Constellatory Practice
    27. Entropia - Vacuum
    28. Seventh Wonder - Tiara
    29. Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury
    30. Nécropole - Solarité
    31. Mournful Congregation - The Incubus of Karma
    32. Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos
    33. Powerwolf - The Sacrament of Sin
    34. Satan - Cruel Magic
    35. Messa - Feast for Water
    36. Unlucky Morpheus - Change of Generation
    37. Wolvennest - Void
    38. High on Fire - Electric Messiah
    39. Between the Buried and Me - Automata II
    40. YOB - Our Raw Heart

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Gotta say, I'm disappointed that The Body isn't anywhere on that list.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ya thonking about it it would be city and the new black for me

the new black mainly because of polyphony/almost again and city because detox/the new flesh/centipede

obF2Wuw.png
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    In other news, now that I've listened to "I Am Above" about 45 times, I can safely say it's my favorite In Flames tune in a decade.

Can confirm not only that I nodded my head, but also even stomped a foot a little bit.

Swallow the Sun put out another single today. I'm actually quite looking forward to this album as I've really liked both singles so far.

Lucifer and Spell are hitting the road this Spring. I may be Boston bound for this one.

Lucifer and Spell are hitting the road this Spring. I may be Boston bound for this one.

I may see you there...not sure, already going to three other gigs that month, and Fridays are tough for me to get out.

I may see you there...not sure, already going to three other gigs that month, and Fridays are tough for me to get out.

I'm on the fence too. The only reason I'm not going to Brooklyn is it's the same night as KISS.

This discussion has been closed.