As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 2019 - We Are All Filthy Animals, Apparently

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Carjacker tries to steal New Yorker's car, finds out why you don't fuck with New Yorkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51VdT38_jLA

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    Me and the family went out to eat last year and came back just in time to catch some lady loading some of our holiday packages into her car. She parked in our driveway and everything.

Easy enough to get them back we just blocked her in and she kind of panicked. She actually threatened to call the police on us because of it.

What i'm saying is it does not matter where you live. Porch pirates are everywhere and they are all almost universal dumpster people.

I would have loved it if she had.

Yeah, that's a threat that has one response - "please do."

"I'd offer to let you use my phone but... you being a fucking thief and all..."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Me and the family went out to eat last year and came back just in time to catch some lady loading some of our holiday packages into her car. She parked in our driveway and everything.

Easy enough to get them back we just blocked her in and she kind of panicked. She actually threatened to call the police on us because of it.

What i'm saying is it does not matter where you live. Porch pirates are everywhere and they are all almost universal dumpster people.

I would have loved it if she had.

Yeah, that's a threat that has one response - "please do."

"I'd offer to let you use my phone but... you being a fucking thief and all..."

So what, was this person emboldened by the Mark Rober video in the wrong way?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I think if i had to guess she was using the logic that we were harassing her because we blocked her car in and kept her from leaving until our packages were returned.

Would have been bad comedy had she actually called the police because my aunt , uncle , and four of my cousins who live in the same county as me work as police officers and one of them might have dispatched.

I think if i had to guess she was using the logic that we were harassing her because we blocked her car in and kept her from leaving until our packages were returned.

Would have been bad comedy had she actually called the police because my aunt , uncle , and four of my cousins who live in the same county as me work as police officers and one of them might have dispatched.

And now I'm wishing she had called,just for the entertainment value.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

Did you turn her in?

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    We did report it but we got some canned response saying they were not going to do anything about it since we actually stopped it on our own and she did not actually get off the property with anything.

Make's sense right?

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    We did report it but we got some canned response saying they were not going to do anything about it since we actually stopped it on our own and she did not actually get off the property with anything.

Make's sense right?

So tempted to make the Sideshow Bob reference.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Make's sense right?

The proper response is “I am sorry, would you like to repeat that closer to the microphone on my phone? I would like to make sure the audio is clear when I send this to the news”

wbBv3fj.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Make's sense right?

... the stupid mothergooser knows what attempted theft is, right

aTBDrQE.jpg
    edited January 2019
    As is the annual tradition, here is Deadspin's list of what we collectively got stuck in our various orifaces this past year. As usual, the list is by oriface going north to south, and is NSFW.

Edit: And, of course, we also have What We Did To Mr. Happy, 2018 Edition.

AngelHedgie on
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Make's sense right?

In America you could just have shot her for trespassing, or?

steam_sig.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Make's sense right?

No, not really.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Make's sense right?

No, not really.

I think the law varies state by state, but usually the trespasser has to be in your house for you to legally be able to shoot someone on your property.

Not sure the extent that's true for say, farmers.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You have to allow them to leave and you can't shoot them if they are trying to leave. Laws vary state to state but that is pretty common.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

An Australian immortal spider no less.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Their bullets will just make it angrier.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

How large is it's health bar?

sig.gif
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Two health bars. For the first phase.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

I don't want to see it's final form. Really.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    What I like about the spider story is the same thing happened just a few years ago.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    PROTIP: Don't misdial and get 911. Especially from space:
    Kuipers explained that while trying to contact NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, he missed an all-important number and accidentally called the U.S. emergency services.

The 60-year-old said that to reach the center in Houston, orbiting astronauts have to dial 9 for an outside line, followed by 011 for an international line. But of course, doing so while floating around in space is trickier than from a desk on Earth. “I made a mistake, and the next day I received an email message: did you call 911?”

His comms slip-up set off a security alert at the Houston center, he explained, with emergency staff to check the room where the space station’s line connected to Earth. “I was a little disappointed that they had not come up,” he joked.

PROTIP: If you are going to steal a bike, it's best if you don't choose the bike locked up outside the police station:
    It's almost like he planned to get caught.

An Oregon man was arrested last week for trying to steal a bike that was locked up at the front door of a police station in Gladstone, about 10 miles south of Portland.

The Gladstone Police Department caught it on surveillance video. The footage shows suspect Adam Valle, 26, wearing a mask as he cuts the lock off the bike with a bolt cutter, just before Sgt. Matt Okerman walks out to confront him.

“It’s dumb, you know,” Sgt. Carl Bell of the Gladstone Police Department told ABC News. “I have not actually seen something that blatant because the officers were inside watching on video camera.”

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Bad News: The US Congress is the quagmire of misery and despair that we all know and love, so it can't get anything done.

The Good News: US COPYRIGHTS ARE ENDING THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 21 YEARS! https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/02/the-drought-is-over-mass-us-copyright-expiry-brings-flood-of-works-into-public-domain
    Robert Frost’s haunting little poem, Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening, entered the public domain in the US on 1 January alongside thousands of works, by authors from Agatha Christie to Virginia Woolf, in an unprecedented expiration of copyrights. Unprecedented because it has been 21 years since the last major expiration in the US: the passing of the 1998 Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act added a further 20 years to existing copyrights, meaning that the swathe of 1922 works which passed into the public domain in 1998, after a 75-year copyright term, are only now being followed by works first published in the US in 1923.

Veevee on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait, does that mean Micky goes public domain in five years?

Bet Disney is gonna lobby the shit out of that.

Yeah, if Disney doesn't make Congress get their shit in order then Steamboat Willie is in the public domain on 1/1/2024

I fully expect Disney to get Congress to stop that from happening, but it could!

Veevee wrote: »
    Yeah, if Disney doesn't make Congress get their shit in order then Steamboat Willie is in the public domain on 1/1/2024

I fully expect Disney to get Congress to stop that from happening, but it could!

Mickey himself is pretty well protected by trademark law at this point, as are most "mascot" characters.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Mickey himself is pretty well protected by trademark law at this point, as are most "mascot" characters.

Losing the copyright on Micky would be a huge blow to defending their trademarks though.

The mouse is insulated from the public domain, yes, but not the specific cartoons that featured Mickey.

Losing the copyright on Micky would be a huge blow to defending their trademarks though.

No, it wouldn't. They're different parts of the law.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Wait, does that mean Micky goes public domain in five years?

Bet Disney is gonna lobby the shit out of that.

It's more complicated than that. Only his earliest incarnation is public domain so elements of his design that were added later like the gloves and shape of the head are still protected. This is more of an issue for things like the superheros IMO since for them it also means stuff about their background or important plot events that happened after their initial introduction are still verboten until those years of copyrights sunset.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Peter Pan being public domain (outside of like the UK) does not mean anybody can make peanut butter with the trademarked Disney character on on the packaging, for example.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I want Muddy Waters, Fats Dominoe, and Billy Holiday for public domain.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

The health bar isn’t the problem, it’s all the adds that keep stunlocking you.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Ars Technica has an explainer for those of you who want to know what the copyright thing might mean in practice.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

The mouse is insulated from the public domain, yes, but not the specific cartoons that featured Mickey.

Not so sure; Disney started adding a clip of Steamboat Willie to the beginning of a few of their films for one of the anniversaries recently I think.
    I saw that as an attempt to make the cartoon a Disney trademark.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.theroot.com/man-attacks-black-female-mcdonald-s-worker-receives-la-1831430394
    Man Attacks Black Female McDonald’s Worker, Receives Large Surprise Order of ‘That Smoke’

Long story short, white guy accosted a black female employee of a Florida's McDonalds.
    A viral Facebook video of a man physically assaulting a Florida Mcdonald’s employee had a happy ending when the man was arrested, after the woman generously decided to give her attacker a lifetime supply of Filet-o’-Fist sandwiches.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    discrider wrote: »

Not so sure; Disney started adding a clip of Steamboat Willie to the beginning of a few of their films for one of the anniversaries recently I think.
    I saw that as an attempt to make the cartoon a Disney trademark.

I heard about that, but trademark doesn't work that way...

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy