As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Git gud.

Exactly!

Haha.

I'm going to give you some advice to improve your scores. Ready?
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way; turn.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Git gud.

Exactly!

Haha.

Play Motorsport instead.

Sage advice.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Git gud.

Exactly!

Haha.

Play Motorsport instead.

Sage advice.

Glad I could help!

Git gud.

Exactly!

Haha.

Play Motorsport instead.

Sage advice.

Glad I could help!

It needed a little tweaking, but yes, sage advice.

On an unrelated note, I almost fell asleep during Below's opening. It's not a game to play if you're drowsy.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    got like 3 hours into odyssey last night. game seems fun (also kassandra is cool give me more female protagonists in all games kthx). it looks unbelievable on an x, which is about half the reason i wanted to try one of these games anyway.

it's also insane playing it right after red dead. brb jumping off a mountain on a horse and everything's fine. press forward character is instantly running. i was disoriented for like 30 minutes because the game was too responsive. and the hdr actually works instead of forcing me to turn it off in the settings every time i boot the game thanks rockstar.

ty for the help on choosing between this and origins thread.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I'm still thinking of Lost Odyssey every time you guys mention "Odyssey" :lol:

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm still thinking of Lost Odyssey every time you guys mention "Odyssey" :lol:

I assume Mario, regardless of which thread I'm in.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Kind of weird that the writers of that article didn't pick up on their calling the demo a "1-shot" as a possible reference to comic ashcans/one-shots... just a one off tale or whatever. so you'll probably just be playing RE2: dick around in Racoon City for 30 minutes.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Sounds like a demo to me.

Sounds like a demo to me.

So was Dead Rising Case Zero, but good luck convincing some people that demo is short for demonstration, regardless of form.

at least they didnt call it a beta? :P

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    GAAAAAAAAAAAME PASS: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/01/02/xbox-game-pass-january-2019/
    End of last month, in case you missed it, like I did: Life Is Strange and Life Is Strange: Before The Storm
    Tomorrow January 3rd: Life Is Strange 2: Episode 1 (later episodes coming later), Ark: Survival Evolved (Play Anywhere), Farming Simulator 17
    January 7th: Absolver
    January 10th: Aftercharge, Just Cause 3 (the 3 in the title also refers to the average framerate)

Well, time to give Life is Strange another try.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So question: Did the Twitch app ever get fixed/updated so you can see chat again?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Celeste wasn't in the "membership" section for Games With Gold as it was supposed to be as of yesterday, but if you search it directly, it is set up correctly as a free title. I was psyched to start it (and a thumb blister) yesterday.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    The twitch app shows chat fine for me - did you try pressing X to reveal/hide the chat?

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
    Celeste wasn't in the "membership" section for Games With Gold as it was supposed to be as of yesterday, but if you search it directly, it is set up correctly as a free title. I was psyched to start it (and a thumb blister) yesterday.

That's...odd. It was for me, I thought. I've got it installed now in any case.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    yooooooooooooooooooooooo Absolver though, time to try to get into that and probably fail!

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I was really excited for Absolver, it looks really cool. I played for a while on PS4 and it felt fairly underwhelming but, it does have an odd control scheme that takes a while to get used to. Maybe I should give it another shot, I just want a good Kung Fu game.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I really like God Hand, and I really liked Jade Empire, and Absolver looks like those sort of. A man can dream.

Edit: To be clear, I know what Absolver actually is, which is why I'm assuming that I'll try it and get in over my head and get overwhelmed and quit, but again see above re: dreams.

Peen on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    The twitch app shows chat fine for me - did you try pressing X to reveal/hide the chat?

I haven't streamed in forever-- I've just been thinking of getting back into it, and was just curious if I should resume there or go to Mixer instead. Last I saw, the update that killed the multiple apps thing kind of messed up using Twitch, but I haven't kept up.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited January 2019
    That's right, my first DF video post of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUax48eBSY

Some interesting points--what's next for the basic Xbox One ("XB1S"), if anything? This is DF, so even my their own admission, even on the least powerful platform games are still completely playable (or frankly, they wouldn't be playable on PS4 either, and something would be fundamentally wrong), and they assume Microsoft is taking lessons from memory architecture and so forth (hopefully that's true, as is Sony from the deficiencies on the PSFro). And there's the funny truth that all the Xbox One's shortcomings are hilariously amplified on the Switch (just look at Doom), and that if you're streaming a game to anywhere with North American internet, you're not going to notice any of this shit anyway.

Synthesis on
    edited January 2019
    Err... Synthy, there are two tiers of quality in North American internet.

Metropolitan — which is generally pretty good as the population concentration supports the infrastructure investment. ISPs can somewhat compete.

Rural — Toss-up depending on which ISP has 'agreed' to control the market. The cost of getting to these areas or 'disrupting' them as an outsider is too much (see: Google Fiber's stagnation). I mean... there are people still using dial-up.

tastydonuts on
    edited January 2019
    Err... Synthy, there are two tiers of quality in North American internet.

Metropolitan — which is generally pretty good as the population concentration supports the infrastructure investment. ISPs can somewhat compete.

Rural — Toss-up depending on which ISP has 'agreed' to control the market. The cost of getting to these areas or 'disrupting' them as an outsider is too much (see: Google Fiber's stagnation). I mean... there are people still using dial-up.

Honestly, "metropolitan" internet--entirely broadband, mostly DSL--still means enormous amounts of video compression and other corners cut. Which makes it doable...mostly...but absolutely hides the sort of stuff DF is talking about. I didn't even consider "rural" (which also means a great deal of "suburban" area), which is probably a write-off. The latency alone could make game streaming for anything that isn't turn-based totally unplayable.

My ISP, in a small city, probably puts me in the top 5 percentile for American internet in terms of download speed, but it's definitely not capable of streaming even Xbox One visuals at 1080p reliably for 30 hz gameplay. Not without dragging that down more to 720p or below, and with other hits. Even friends of mine who had Google Fiber, before they left the magic neighborhoods where that was actually available, faced noticeable shortcomings.

I'm also not expecting Microsoft to come up with any sort of magical codec solutions to this problem, instead of relying on what Netflix does: cut corners wherever you can, because most people won't notice (just like most people wouldn't notice the DF's concerns without great deliberate scrutiny). Literally the best 4K streaming from a Netflix plan that supports it still looks way more compressed and washed-out compared to the same media off a 4K disc or any competent download.

Synthesis on
    So, aside from me being right about internet bandwidth.

You can buy 6 months of Xbox live gold for $25, which is not a terrible deal.

And I'll take any excuse available to revive the thread after the holiday slumber. Ace Combat 7, Resident Evil 2, and Kingdom Hearts 3 (in ascending order of hype, I suppose?) all coming out this month!

edited January 2019
    In the file of 'But Of Course', there was a XBL sale recently (maybe the Christmas one) where MotoGP14 was on sale for like $4. I skipped it thinking I didn't have the fauxbux.

It has been pulled from the marketplace and I had $25.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    Pronounced "Foh-boh." But yes, that's the bummer of digital purchases. I still buy physical games when I can for that reason (and others), even if I'm very gradually becoming lazy enough to want to avoid loading discs when I can.

I'll probably end up scrounging a disc somewhere.

I'm just enjoying the clear bullshittery of the whole thing. (It's the lost DLC that really bugs me.)

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Hey, I heard if you buy the 360 version of Borderlands 1 to play on the XB1, it gives you free access to the DLC. Is that true?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Unless it's the GOTY version of Borderlands 1 or something, I think probably no. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

been saying since it was announced it would be released on Xbone too. they do seem to be pushing it as primarily a PC game but i think we're pretty much passed the point were MS release a game only on console or only on PC. cross-platform is their new normal. still waiting to see if we'll also get console releases of the Age of Empire games.

That's the first news I've on on Gears: Tactics in a while.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Gears Tactics is like XCOM but Gears of War, right?

I could be into that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Gears Tactics is like XCOM but Gears of War, right?

I could be into that.

Yup.

Been asking for that for awhile. Still a little surprised its happening.

One of the more surprising announcements from the last E3.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hell yeah, MvC3 is excellent