As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I think if you get the elevator of blood your allowed to be a little more than upset. I mean think of the stains.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    How many floors would a hotel have to be before elevator of blood stops being an "I'll just take the stairs" problem and becomes a "Guess I'm doing laundry tonight" problem?

Anything over five and I'd be getting the snorkel out.

cu4c1c5yy0xr.png
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Today was my first day back since December 18th due to our hotel closing for the holiday break. I started about 30 minutes ago, I am alone, and I am waiting for our 1 guest to check in.

My spine is tingling in a way that tells me I shouldn't be here.

My wife says that its gotta be The Shining.

If I get elevators of blood I'm going to be very upset.

Am I reading this right in that you're the only person present in a big, guestless hotel? Because creepy and awesome if so.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    80% of our mousetraps caught a mouse yesterday

awesome

good stuff

Have you checked out this dudes channel?

Warning: dead mice
    Warning: live mice

One thing with a bucket trap is it needs to get emptied every day.

When I worked at the farm when I was in high school, the owner set something like that up. Then promptly forgot about it in the barn in the summer. So two weeks later when we had the most ungodly smell coming from the barn we had to go clean up the dead mouse sun tea that had been brewing in the barn. We all made bets on who could get the closest to the bucket before puking from the smell.

The owner had to put on the respirator and dumped it into the manure pit.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Today was my first day back since December 18th due to our hotel closing for the holiday break. I started about 30 minutes ago, I am alone, and I am waiting for our 1 guest to check in.

Am I reading this right in that you're the only person present in a big, guestless hotel? Because creepy and awesome if so.

This is correct. 137 guest rooms and 7 conference rooms all to myself right now.

Oh, and a bunch of phone calls.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Our weather forecast for tomorrow is that old Oklahoma classic of "either some cold rain or six inches of snow on top of a sheet of ice."

If history is any judge, it will switch from the former to the latter around midmorning, and the library won't close until it's too late.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Our weather forecast for tomorrow is that old Oklahoma classic of "either some cold rain or six inches of snow on top of a sheet of ice."

If history is any judge, it will switch from the former to the latter around midmorning, and the library won't close until it's too late.

They will close right at the time where it is the most dangerous to be on the roads. As per all city guidelines.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

This is correct. 137 guest rooms and 7 conference rooms all to myself right now.

That’s metal

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

The possibilities!

That said, if you decide to walk around and you notice that one of the room doors is ajar and you can hear a bath running, you'll need to immediately drive to another state and never go back.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Due to the constellation of national holidays and two tactical vacation days tomorrow will be the first day back at work since December 21st.

I hope I remember where the office is.

edited January 2019

The possibilities!

That said, if you decide to walk around and you notice that one of the room doors is ajar and you can hear a bath running, you'll need to immediately drive to another state and never go back.

I have wandered these halls while alone here for enough days to say that I know for a fact that this place is not haunted.

It's a bit disappointing.

Edit: I get a "Something is about to pull me down the stairs" vibe when I turn my back on a dark set of stairs at my grandma's. I can't even make myself be afraid of a single space of this place while in total darkness.

Veevee on

The possibilities!

I have wandered these halls while alone here for enough days to say that I know for a fact that this place is not haunted.

Edit: I get a "Something is about to pull me down the stairs" vibe when I turn my back on a dark set of stairs at my grandma's. I can't even make myself be afraid of a single space of this place while in total darkness.

As disappointed and/or relieved I am that your hotel isn't haunted, I can confirm that dark sets of stairs at any grandparent's house are definitely haunted. It is Known.

The possibilities!

As disappointed and/or relieved I am that your hotel isn't haunted, I can confirm that dark sets of stairs at any grandparent's house are definitely haunted. It is Known.

Someone should really do something about those evil spirits lurking in grandparent's dark stairways.

Also, I did the math and the one guest tonight is paying the hotel exactly what I am being paid to work tonight.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Today is my first day back since December 18th due to our hotel closing for the holiday break. I started about 30 minutes ago, I am alone, and I am waiting for our 1 guest to check in.

That would be odd, the blood usually gets off at the second floor.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Working 6 and a half hours today and I'm not getting a lunch break. Kind of lame.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am kinda checked out now. Bleh. I got a lot done, though! And I'm going to push to get a little bit more done today before I leave.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    I'm not even acting manager yet and I get to make job offers to two people.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Please bring them both into the same room and drop a nerf sword on the table and tell them there's only one opening, and after 5 seconds of awkward staring audible into, "I'm not joking." totally seriously or tell them they both got the job.

And youtube it.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    I'm not even acting manager yet and I get to make job offers to two people.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Please bring them both into the same room and drop a nerf sword on the table and tell them there's only one opening, and after 5 seconds of awkward staring audible into, "I'm not joking." totally seriously or tell them they both got the job.

And youtube it.

I don't think they'll let me do trial by combat yet

also while i've gotten everything approved for the initial offers and the ceiling of our offers before we have to go back to the CEO it sounds like HR won't be reaching out until next week

:(

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I inherited a team lead position, we've lost 3 people in the past two months. Morale is bad enough across the entire software team that people are openly asking me how long I'm planning to stick around.

I'm not sure if it's indicative of the low morale, or if it's more a reflection on me that everyone thinks I'm already halfway out the door.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I inherited a team lead position, we've lost 3 people in the past two months. Morale is bad enough across the entire software team that people are openly asking me how long I'm planning to stick around.

I'm not sure if it's indicative of the low morale, or if it's more a reflection on me that everyone thinks I'm already halfway out the door.

Also maybe if you go, the rest of them are going to go too. Maybe they want to know so they can make their own plans.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Due to a subtle mix of fuckery, shenanigans, and strategic vacation-taking I am back at the office for the first time since

*checks calendar*

three weeks!

le awesome

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Today one of our supervisors came back from 17 days off and said he was going, "Stir crazy" and "had to come back to work or he would go crazy" and my response was just that webcomic of the guy with 5 question marks in a think cloud over his head.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I wouldn't be ready to come back to work if I hadn't spent the last three days zonking out hardcore to the max

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Yesterday I went to bed at 8pm and woke up this morning at 7am unassisted.

I feel so fucking good, how long can I keep this jet lag going?

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Some big changes happening at work, ones I did not foresee

Plus I’m driving a rental car (ugh) and my kids are sick and everything is out of whack and I basically feel very weird right now

Good changes or bad changes or nebulous changes?

Definitely nebulous

I’m trying to keep it vague but basically due to relationships of a personal nature there has been a shake-up in upper management, and while none of it directly affects me, it still changes the company vibe/what I have grown used to.

Also the manager I was looking forward to sharing an office with may no longer be sharing an office with me, which again, doesn’t affect my work, but would be a shame!

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    This job posting I've been eyeing seems to have been updated with hours and seems even more like a great fit for me. I want to try to apply for it but I haven't heard from my job developer yet to touch base about anything yet.

Imma make some phone calls tomorrow to check that OOD sent the referral and if so maybe call the career link office myself.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

They will close right at the time where it is the most dangerous to be on the roads. As per all city guidelines.

Well, they closed at six this evening, which is a promising sign. Maybe the new director is looking to score some goodwill early.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Today one of our supervisors came back from 17 days off and said he was going, "Stir crazy" and "had to come back to work or he would go crazy" and my response was just that webcomic of the guy with 5 question marks in a think cloud over his head.

Was one of your supervisor's supervisor around? That usually explains those kinds of phrases

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I was in a good mood when I woke up this morning. Then I went to work.

I keep having to unclench my own jaw.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    First day at new job. They told me things might be a little unorganized.

They may have undersold it more than usual.

I've got some work ahead of me.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I gotcha on this one

whatthe.jpg

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    I'm such an awful employee. I came in 2 hours late using emergency pto and left two hours early.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

I am absolutely this way. Gotta be useful somehow, and it can be hard to start up a nebulously defined project on your own terms. It's easier to do more at my job.

It helps if you get a cut of the profits in some way.

Pro...fits? Are those like outfits? I have a couple outfits.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I was in a good mood when I woke up this morning. Then I went to work.

I keep having to unclench my own jaw.

... So do you normally have a guy to unclench your jaw for you, or ...?

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Work got slammed the last two hours of my shift. Everyone kept thinking oh it's the 2nd it'll be slow. Nah son, you got people who have their holiday work break/vacations ending and two colleges worth of students coming back from winter break who all need to restock their larders.

Night supervisor finally broke, I think, and has accepted that our store is chaos that you can't control but just have to flow with, so shortly into the rush I sent him to his meal break, called up everyone in the store I could get. Had seven full check lanes and eighteen self-check stations running. There were no carts. Soon as a clerk would bring a line of carts in, they were gone.

The whole time I never felt overwhelmed, or angry about scheduling or callouts(we had one, it did make things harder but not much) instead I was in my element. I wasn't bored, I was engaged and I killed it. The lines went smooth, customers were happy, I kept telling jokes. Spirits stayed high.

Weaver on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Oh also myself, one of my union managers(he used to have my job, now he deals with conference calls and admnistrative stuff, good guy) and a deli co-manager(who is on a different contract) were all outside on break in a dark corner and we got to talking politics, wealth redistribution, the misnomer of what most people think of when they hear the word "anarchist". Thematically appropriate since contract negotions are in a couple of months.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Status update on those jobs I'm most interested in is that the search is ongoing (one I applied for 8ish weeks ago and the other 5 weeks ago). Should I just write these off, or...?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Status update on those jobs I'm most interested in is that the search is ongoing (one I applied for 8ish weeks ago and the other 5 weeks ago). Should I just write these off, or...?

Sadly, I would think so. The 5 weeks one might be delayed because of the holidays, but if you haven't even heard from them, then I'd assume they don't want to interview you.

Anyway, if you have some contact info, then it doesn't hurt to ask.

I am having so much trouble finding a job on Indeed that interests me at all. I've been applying to a few that are close, pay decently, and seem not too stressful but I keep thinking about how much money I currently make.

I keep wondering if I can tough it out and keep the extremely thin ice I'm on regarding attendance from breaking and paying off all my debt in about a year and a half assuming I don't get incentive on my checks.

I really need to figure out what I'm passionate about and then figure out what I need to do for a job involving that and go from there.

This discussion has been closed.