As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Double-Booked

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Double-Booked

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Draconus79Draconus79 Registered User new member
    I loved this novel series. Have most of them tucked away in the attic. This comic shows a great use for those old fantasy novels!

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Woo, comments are back. I fully support giving the forum staff some time off over the holidays, but I've discovered that part of my comic experience here at Penny Arcade is reading everyone's comments on the comics. It just isn't the same otherwise. :)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    KredKred Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    For those who don't know, the original Dragonlance books by Weis and Hickman were developed straight from D&D sessions. Several people at TSR, now Wizards of the Coast, created characters and had at it. Dragonlance was basically like taking the AQ Inc. podcasts/videos and turning them into a fantasy novel.

So there's a bit of poetic irony in Gabe reversing the process. Also, possibly a dig at him being stupid. Since you don't have to just read from the books, all that stuff exists in D&D campaign form.

Kred on
  • Options
    KaitensatsumaKaitensatsuma Registered User regular
    To be honest I've tried getting back into those books but it's like reading Colonial fiction.

You get so used to the memes and small inner-jabs that reading something that plays all of it absolutely and completely straight is disconcerting.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Kred wrote: »
    For those who don't know, the original Dragonlance books by Weis and Hickman were developed straight from D&D sessions. Several people at TSR, now Wizards of the Coast, created characters and had at it. Dragonlance was basically like taking the AQ Inc. podcasts/videos and turning them into a fantasy novel.

So there's a bit of poetic irony in Gabe reversing the process. Also, possibly a dig at him being stupid. Since you don't have to just read from the books, all that stuff exists in D&D campaign form.

There is a whole series of published modules if you want to pull a Gabe and run your group through Dragonlance. And only the first book was based on the modules. Books 2 and 3 were written before the modules were designed. There are differences but they tell the same story.

From Wikipedia:
    The first Dragonlance novel Dragons of Autumn Twilight was written after modules DL1-4 were completed. However, as Hickman and Weis felt this was too constraining and made the novel feel too episodic, they reversed the process for Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning and completed the books before the related modules.