As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] He Sings, He Dances, He Has Magic Gloves

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is funny how there was a fear of cults in the 70s and 80s. That pilot episode of K9 and Company is about a cult.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's a fear hardly limited to the 70's and 80's.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So a single Dalek can conquer a planet... Unless an iron-age army ropes it up and hits it with rocks.

Most dangerous being in the universe indeed.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So a single Dalek can conquer a planet... Unless an iron-age army ropes it up and hits it with rocks.

Most dangerous being in the universe indeed.

You're also forgetting the punk rock delinquent with a baseball bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUMnn0-4zw

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2019
    Daleks have been defeated with all kinds of basic shit.

They are simultaneously terrifying and also were for many years utterly foiled by running up three flights of stairs.

Bogart on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the New Year's Special, and I get why they wanted to at least tip the hat to the existing mythos, but...I mean....and this just me....Daleks are kind of boring in 2018.

I know, I know. I'm turning in my fan card right now, but I've never been happy with the (re)introduction of Modern Who Daleks, starting with the Davies' colored iPod versions (I think that was back then). It's all just a little too man in suit for modern sensibilities, even on a show that is founded on suspension of disbelief.

I'll go back to telling kids to get off my lawn now.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I much prefer these stories to "this time there's a hundred million billion daleks out there" to raise the stakes.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Daleks have been defeated with all kinds of basic shit.

They are simultaneously terrifying and also were for many years utterly foiled by running up three flights of stairs.

I do kind of love that Daleks are amazing in straight forward battles, but terrible at what is effectively guerilla tactics.

Think how cool a story would be about a successful Dalek invasion, but the locals are keeping them hurt with hit and run tactics, IEDs, close range melees and traps. Bet there’s a hell of a metaphor lurking in that idea.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Power Ranger Daleks were a Moffat thing, supposedly because Karen Gillan is pretty darn tall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sXpInWFVVo

I actually liked the more bulky look, it's a shame it didn't last.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    They didn't really do anything with the colored Daleks. They are still at large, aren't they?

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Thanks for the correction - I attributed that to Davies. Happy that lasted about as long as the Apple 5c they were modeled after. =)

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    They did colorful Daleks for a '60s Doctor Who non-canon movie.

https://www.classic-monsters.com/daleks-invasion-earth-2150-ad-amicus-1966/

It was clearly a nod to that, but it was so obscure everyone was like "Why are the Daleks tellytubbies now?"

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    In new who I think Dalek episodes are better the less Daleks there are.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    They didn't really do anything with the colored Daleks. They are still at large, aren't they?

They became officer class Daleks for a hot second. We saw one get killed by the Doctor in the Series 6 finale, and then a couple in the Parliament in Asylum of the Daleks, where they had notable been redesigned, given better proportions and a metallic paint job.

And they've not been seen since!

It's a bummer, cause as of Asylum they actually looked pretty good.

Oh brilliant
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Heavy Weapons Dalek for best Dalek.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

The problem with that, is why aren't ALL Daleks Heavy Weapons Daleks?

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

The problem with that, is why aren't ALL Daleks Heavy Weapons Daleks?

IIRC, @Cyvros once mentioned something in one of the novels that would explain that, something like they get dosed with radiation every time they fire, and become more and more unhinged every time.

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Power Ranger Daleks were a Moffat thing, supposedly because Karen Gillan is pretty darn tall

I find it mildly funny that they went to the effort of remaking the Daleks to match Karen Gillan's height and then proceeded to use those versions zero times on screen with her (as far as I can recall).

The new paradigm Daleks looked fine to me, especially after they were reworked to look less bulky, but I think they came up with them without a clear idea of how they'd be used in the future, so they ended up just being different coloured Daleks in amongst the familiar ones.

pezgen wrote: »

I find it mildly funny that they went to the effort of remaking the Daleks to match Karen Gillan's height and then proceeded to use those versions zero times on screen with her (as far as I can recall).

I think it they showed up for the Pandorica finale? And the stone one was better, so it was mainly the bright colours people had a problem with.
    I'm pretty sure they've been thrown in the mix for large dalek groups a few times since then, but with the more metallic colour scheme so they blend in.

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    pezgen wrote: »

I think it they showed up for the Pandorica finale? And the stone one was better, so it was mainly the bright colours people had a problem with.
    I'm pretty sure they've been thrown in the mix for large dalek groups a few times since then, but with the more metallic colour scheme so they blend in.

Oh, they've been used in episodes that Karen Gillan was in, for sure... but if you're going to make a taller version of the Dalek to match a tall actor, it seems like you should probably put them next to each other at some point. Just tickles me, that's all.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I remember reading an article at one point that suggested the other Daleks wiped them out in a civil war based on an older version of the Dr Who experience.

The last couple of Dalek episodes that have featured more than a couple of them (Asylum and the season 10 two-part opener) have gone to town to show a range of Daleks, from the New Who bronzey coloured ones to a few of the new paradigm ones to the old grey ones to the special weapons Dalek to whatever. I think they gave up trying to make the Daleks have any sort of reliable hierarchy and instead just throw whatever they've got on screen and stick a new Supreme Dalek at the top. It's fine, I guess. Probably preferable than trying to figure out how a Dalek society actually works.

They're spread all over time, so gatherings just being a mix of whatever props they have makes sense.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I really liked the Daleks during Eccleston and Tennant's run. Except for that New York shit, that was awful.

They made them a properly terrifying threat for me, a person who had never seen Who before. I feel like everything that's come after has diluted how threatening they really are.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Any recurring enemy gets less frightening with every fight they lose.

Power Ranger Daleks aside, Victory was pretty good in that it bought the Daleks back and gave them an actual win. They didn't get to blow up London, but finally stopping the running trend of these are the last daleks in existence for real this time guys was a good move.

I don't think that's particularly true in the Dalek's case. Yes, you usually defeat them, but which one of you is going to die before that happens?

By the time we reached Donna's finale we had seen them more often than I cared for, but I definitely felt anxious when it was revealed they were the villains. You expected it to be a puzzle to solve, and nope, Daleks from the sky, we're all fucked. The reactions from the companions at that time were pretty good, too. You got a real sense from them that they felt super duper doomed when they heard "Exterminate!" over the radio.

It didn't hurt that they also killed a recurring character many fans enjoyed. Or that they maintained that just one Dalek was enough for the world to be fucked, so here you go, have millions. They don't even really give up a pretense of the Earth's military forces doing anything other than their blow-up-the-planet plan. They shot the episode so that the audience and the characters all assume that until The Doctor shows up, a whole lot of people are going to be ants under a boot. And I loved that.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

I don't think that's particularly true in the Dalek's case. Yes, you usually defeat them, but which one of you is going to die before that happens?

By the time we reached Donna's finale we had seen them more often than I cared for, but I definitely felt anxious when it was revealed they were the villains. You expected it to be a puzzle to solve, and nope, Daleks from the sky, we're all fucked. The reactions from the companions at that time were pretty good, too. You got a real sense from them that they felt super duper doomed when they heard "Exterminate!" over the radio.

It didn't hurt that they also killed a recurring character many fans enjoyed. Or that they maintained that just one Dalek was enough for the world to be fucked, so here you go, have millions. They don't even really give up a pretense of the Earth's military forces doing anything other than their blow-up-the-planet plan. They shot the episode so that the audience and the characters all assume that until The Doctor shows up, a whole lot of people are going to be ants under a boot. And I loved that.

That's part of the problem IMO. One Dalek is enough to fuck over a planet. Millions should fuck millions of planets at once. Millions focused on a single planet should have that planet turn to a desolate wasteland in the blink of an eye.

Instead, we've seen millions of Daleks struggle to take over a single TV-studio space station manned by civilians. We've seen millions of Dalek fly over the earth and cause no damage whatsoever and get sucked back into the void. We've seen millions of Dalek teleport the Earth away and just stroll through it shooting people at random until Rose shows up and blasts them away with her mega-gun.

At this point, if I were living in the Doctor Who universe, I'd be scared of a single Dalek, but I'd be relieved if I saw millions of Daleks show up.

sig.gif

That's part of the problem IMO. One Dalek is enough to fuck over a planet. Millions should fuck millions of planets at once. Millions focused on a single planet should have that planet turn to a desolate wasteland in the blink of an eye.

Instead, we've seen millions of Daleks struggle to take over a single TV-studio space station manned by civilians. We've seen millions of Dalek fly over the earth and cause no damage whatsoever and get sucked back into the void. We've seen millions of Dalek teleport the Earth away and just stroll through it shooting people at random until Rose shows up and blasts them away with her mega-gun.

At this point, if I were living in the Doctor Who universe, I'd be scared of a single Dalek, but I'd be relieved if I saw millions of Daleks show up.

Well yeah, but the point of all of that was to stress the humans out to the point where they found a way to bring The Doctor to Davros. Because that's what he wanted, and that's what Dalek Caan prophesied would happen. Also they needed Earth to exist in order for their reality bomb to work.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

Inverse Dalek law.

Well yeah, but the point of all of that was to stress the humans out to the point where they found a way to bring The Doctor to Davros. Because that's what he wanted, and that's what Dalek Caan prophesied would happen. Also they needed Earth to exist in order for their reality bomb to work.

The humans didn't find a way to send the Doctor to Davos. The Daleks captured the Doctor and sent him to Davos. Also, the Daleks needed Earth to exist, yeah, but not humanity. They should have wiped out all humans the moment they got Earth. In fact, there's no reason why they didn't.

sig.gif

The humans didn't find a way to send the Doctor to Davos. The Daleks captured the Doctor and sent him to Davos. Also, the Daleks needed Earth to exist, yeah, but not humanity. They should have wiped out all humans the moment they got Earth. In fact, there's no reason why they didn't.

They did, though. They sent him a signal so he could find Earth. It's why Harriet Jones died.

The more Daleks you have, the weaker they are.

A single Dalek is MacGyver.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I feel like part of the problem also is that the cultural osmosis just isn't there for NA audiences. It's kind of hard to take it seriously as an instrument of death and destruction when it literally has a plunger and a whisk sticking out of it. So right off the bat we already have one foot out the door and it's that much harder to make them threatening.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2019
    They need to have little fingers coming out of the plunger.

Krathoon on
    I feel like part of the problem also is that the cultural osmosis just isn't there for NA audiences. It's kind of hard to take it seriously as an instrument of death and destruction when it literally has a plunger and a whisk sticking out of it. So right off the bat we already have one foot out the door and it's that much harder to make them threatening.

That plunger has terrified me from the moment they were first introduced in NuWho. Every time a character gets close to it, I cringe, and ask the nice people on the TV to please get away from it.

Because in that first introduction, a dude got his face sucked off by it, and his skull crushed, and it was sudden and awful.

I know it's a plunger, and it looks silly, but to me it's the thing that'll fucking insta-murder you if it makes contact with you.

edited January 2019
    Don't touch a Dalek. They will absorb your time travel radiation.

Krathoon on