As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    GBS to la has HC....I’m intrigued.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Welp pack it in we're Chelsea fans now

Who's our big rival

Nottingham forest right

Chelsea is a London team.

Their big rival is AFC Wimbledon.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    If someone could get some blackmail material on the Houston Dash owners to make sure they loan Veronica Latsko to Adelaide United again next NWSL off season that would be great. Having our best season ever by a huge margin and her 7 goals in 8 games are a big part of it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I love Ole Gunnar Solskjaer so much.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

It's amazing what having a manager that doesn't hate their job will do for you..

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I think Manchester United would have won those games anyway. Spurs will be a tougher test.

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »
    I think Manchester United would have won those games anyway. Spurs will be a tougher test.

Then you didn’t watch the Southampton match or the Palace match or the West Ham match or the Brighton match or the Wolves match or the Valencia match or the Young Boys match

those are the sorts of matches United were having issues with under Jose as opposed to under Ole, where they’ve scored 33% of their total of league goals in 4 matches

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    You are my Solskjaer
    My only Solskjaer
    You make happy
    etc

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

You think he's worth trying out as the permanent manager? Or at least in the conversation?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Who's our big rival

Nottingham forest right

AFC Wimbledon of course truly hate MK Dons

Outside my own team truly if I could pick one to sail to the top it'd be AFC Wimbledon

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

You think he's worth trying out as the permanent manager? Or at least in the conversation?

Think it's too early to tell and will depend on how the season plays out. They've seem off some bottom half teams so far, if they maintain the form against better opponents and make a CL push then...maybe?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Who's our big rival

Nottingham forest right

AFC Wimbledon of course truly hate MK Dons

Outside my own team truly if I could pick one to sail to the top it'd be AFC Wimbledon

For people who don't know or are too lazy to look:
    The original Wimbledon FC was moved by the ownership, with permission from the FA, to Milton Keynes (over 40 miles away) and renamed the Dons (another rarity in English football to broadly feature the team nickname).

AFC Wimbledon was formed in response and joined the system at the ninth tier (there are eleven, though there are tiers below this they are less strictly organised) and a few years ago were promoted to League One (tier three).

The original Wimbledon FC was a founding club of the Premier League but was relegated shortly before they moved. The have never been back and now find themselves in League Two (tier four), the bottom rung of English professional football.

The Indianapolis, Baltimore, Cleveland dynamic is the closest US equivalent, except for the relegation and Cleveland being a dumpster fire for two decades.

AFC Wimbledon's climb up the ladder and steady improvement over the last fourteen years a real feel-good story.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    You are my Solskjaer
    My only Solskjaer
    You make happy
    etc

it's wild that that song is about Shearer costing £15 million

which in today's economy would buy you one Jordon Ibe

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »

Depends on if United bring in a DoF or not.

I love Ole and he's doing good work at the minute (although I suspect a lot of it is Mike Phelan), his time at Cardiff was a disaster and he's not shown his ability to build a team at the highest level. United need some rebuilding (at the absolute bare minimum, a LB to replace Ashley Young and the glass Luke Shaw, a RW to replace ????, a DM to replace Matic and I would personally like a more experienced RB than Dalot while he grows into the role) and I don't know if he is the man to do it.

I'd be delighted with him if there was someone else to assist with the transfers but if United don't bring in a DoF, I'd be pretty happy if Ole just came in, settled the ship and left at the end of the season.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    With Pusilic going to Chelsea I too was excited to have my team fandom chosen for me.

However, just read up on the history of Chelsea and the fandom's support of white supremacy and...oof.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    With Pusilic going to Chelsea I too was excited to have my team fandom chosen for me.

However, just read up on the history of Chelsea and the fandom's support of white supremacy and...oof.

also let’s not forget their current racism and support of white supremacy!

• Options
    Yeah, that team could be populated with Americans (and Canadians... lol) top to bottom, and I would still not be able cheer for Chelsea.

That said, *points to avatar*, I'm pretty biased.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    @evilbob Ugly match. Deserved Red Card. Sorry about that. Still nothing to separate the teams.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lolololololol we just dumped Liverpool out of the cup.

They barely turned up for most of it, but still. Cracking goal from Neves as well. Absolute belter.

• Options
    lolololololol we just dumped Liverpool out of the cup.

They barely turned up for most of it, but still. Cracking goal from Neves as well. Absolute belter.

The sentiment on the Liverpool fan site I follow is "well good we didn't want to play these extra games anyway, while the other squads are wasting time on this late this seasons we'll be resting up for the stretch run!" Don't really even care as much about CL this year, every comment it's league title or nothing.

Which seems like a massive pile of hubris but when you're that thirsty for the elusive title well, I guess whatever works.

More importantly, Lovren got hurt early so unless VVD clones himself no idea who's going to carry the other CB spot in the near future.

• Options
    So, MLS news, Austin is set to make an announcement on Tuesday for their team. We don't live there anymore, but are thinking of moving back later this year, so seemingly perfect timing for us. Glad that Columbus got to keep their team, but bummed that Precourt is going to be the Austin FC owner.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Tha can't be a live commentary, right?

• Options
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    That's incredibly unfair to the aesthetic design of buses tbh.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Absolute cracker of a game today against Leicester. I imagine some big names are looking at Neves right now thinking hmmm we could do with an absurdly fine passer of the ball like that who also bangs in thirty yard screamers.

• Options
    Jordan topped Group B of the Asian Cup, undefeated including a win against Australia.

Just got knocked out in the first Ro16 game by Vietnam.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The player's weekend might've turned out worse though?

• Options
    fifxvm04imp1.jpeg

Absolutely howling at this headline about my beloved, shitty Rapids.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Absolute cracker of a game today against Leicester. I imagine some big names are looking at Neves right now thinking hmmm we could do with an absurdly fine passer of the ball like that who also bangs in thirty yard screamers.

It's kept me in last man standing for another week, so cheers for that!

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    MU v Burnley turned into something to watch.

• Options
    CITEH!

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    CITEH!

tenor.gif

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Liverpool so far unwilling to accept the gift City gave them yesterday.

I don't even know what Chelsea is about, 70% possession and yet down 0-3

• Options
    So, Toronto FC sold Giovinco to Al-Hilal FC. Best player the club has ever had, transformed the team, and maybe the best player to play in MLS. Sad to see him go, but it sounds like the club had different priorities.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Also Atlanta officially sold Almiron to Newcastle for $27M. New transfer record for MLS.

This discussion has been closed.