As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    How's Hollow Knight in handheld mode? Frame rate, controls etc?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with sending their Switch in to get fixed because of a bad connection to Joy-Cons?

I know it's the console now because my friend brought his over and we were able to play just fine at my place but as soon as we put my Switch into the dock, Joy-Cons start dropping connection and acting weird. I had chalked it up to defective Joy-Cons for the last year or so, but now I know that it's the actual console having trouble (weird thing is that Pro Controllers work flawlessly). Not sure if it matters, but I have a Switch from launch and my friend's is a bit newer (maybe 6 months).

I'm unable to find anything aboutn this online since I just keep finding stories about the defective launch Joy-Cons.

If I send it in to Nintendo, are they just going to send me a refurbished Switch? Someone please tell me I can at least back up Smash Bros saves to the cloud....

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

I dunno about exact frame rates, but I ended up playing mostly in handheld mode because I thought it looked cleaner, and was much more responsive. Although, my TV wasn't in game mode at the time so that might have helped.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Pooch wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with sending their Switch in to get fixed because of a bad connection to Joy-Cons?

I know it's the console now because my friend brought his over and we were able to play just fine at my place but as soon as we put my Switch into the dock, Joy-Cons start dropping connection and acting weird. I had chalked it up to defective Joy-Cons for the last year or so, but now I know that it's the actual console having trouble (weird thing is that Pro Controllers work flawlessly). Not sure if it matters, but I have a Switch from launch and my friend's is a bit newer (maybe 6 months).

I'm unable to find anything aboutn this online since I just keep finding stories about the defective launch Joy-Cons.

If I send it in to Nintendo, are they just going to send me a refurbished Switch? Someone please tell me I can at least back up Smash Bros saves to the cloud....

Oh wow I have the same problem mostly with the right joycon. If you do manage to figure this out, could you let the thread know? I also have a launch system so my guess is the bluetooth in the system itself is having problems.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Have you tried other joycons or a pro controller? Sync your friend's joycons with your Switch and see if you don't have any trouble then. You might not have to send your whole Switch in if you can confirm it's just your joycons.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Have you tried other joycons or a pro controller? Sync your friend's joycons with your Switch and see if you don't have any trouble then. You might not have to send your whole Switch in if you can confirm it's just your joycons.

I bought a new set of pink / green joycons and the right joycon still has issues when not pretty close and in line of sight of the console.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Works great in both; I think there were a few issues closer to launch that have probably been patched out. I did 90% of my play time in handheld however.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hollow Knight was fine for me in mobile. I'll note that, over the course of the couple weeks I was enjoying the game, I needed to reset the console twice because I started getting performance issues during some particularly challenging section. As opposed to my standard procedure of just putting the switch to sleep whenever I'm done playing. Guess there's some kind of memory leak or something. In both cases, it cleared right up after a reboot.

Fry on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I know that everyone says that the NEXT generation will have backwards compatibility but there's no indication that it'll ever happen. XBO looks like the only system to actually provide a decent BC nowadays, right

We're expecting backwards compatability on PS5/Xb1 specifically because we're expecting them to be AMD x86s again. No having to emulate something insane like the cell processor. Plus the Pro/X consoles show they already have a system to run older games compatibly on more powerful hardware.

I don't count on a true Switch 2 to necessarily be backwards compatible, but I don't expect it anytime soon either. It could be Intel mobile GPUs by then for all we know.

Yeah the PS5 and XBTwo will have full backwards compatibility with the PS4/XBO library because they would be daft not to at this point. They fully transitioned over to being locked-in PCs so its easy to gain the benefit.

Microsoft has a leg up on sony because they have gone fucking nuts doing some impressive high-level emulating of all their old hardware, effectively letting you run (most) of the entire back catalog of the 360 and a large number of the original xbox games also on-hardware, whereas Sony's earlier architecture choices makes this ridiculously hard for them.

Nintendo's bigger issue, at least from a modern game perspective and not their back catalog is that they keep changing fundamental control mechanisms from system to system, making backwards compatibility challenging.

There is no successor to the 3DS that can fully play 3DS games without a boatload of work. Same for Wii U games that made heavy use of the tablet + TV setup.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    GameStop hosting New Year’s digital sale for Switch titles

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – $41.99 (was $59.99)
    Octopath Traveler – $41.99 (was $59.99)
    Splatoon 2 – $41.99 (was $59.99)
    Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition – $41.99 (was $59.99)
    ARMS – $41.99 (was $59.99)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh what? The right joycon disconnecting is a common issue?

I started having it when SSBU came out. Sometimes buttons would stick or the right Joy-Con would stop sending inputs.

i almost bought new Joy-Cons for it... WEIRD?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I know that everyone says that the NEXT generation will have backwards compatibility but there's no indication that it'll ever happen. XBO looks like the only system to actually provide a decent BC nowadays, right

We're expecting backwards compatability on PS5/Xb1 specifically because we're expecting them to be AMD x86s again. No having to emulate something insane like the cell processor. Plus the Pro/X consoles show they already have a system to run older games compatibly on more powerful hardware.

I don't count on a true Switch 2 to necessarily be backwards compatible, but I don't expect it anytime soon either. It could be Intel mobile GPUs by then for all we know.

Yeah the PS5 and XBTwo will have full backwards compatibility with the PS4/XBO library because they would be daft not to at this point. They fully transitioned over to being locked-in PCs so its easy to gain the benefit.

I imagine being able to charge us $60 to rebuy our games is too good of a deal for them to pass on. But there's simply no indication that this is true until they come and say it's true.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There is no successor to the 3DS that can fully play 3DS games without a boatload of work. Same for Wii U games that made heavy use of the tablet + TV setup.

Wii U ironically does NDS games pretty well across the two screens. Would love to see Switch run these portably in tate mode, though it has to be at the bottom of the list for systems to roll out to NSO.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Wow, what amazing deals!

Like come on... they can do better than $41 for Arms.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Wow, what amazing deals!

Like come on... they can do better than $41 for Arms.

Hey man, 30% off is huge! Normally you gotta pay like 60 gold coins for the honor to pay them that much less.

/my Nintendo rewards sucks

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I had the "right joycon disconnecting" problem too. Only in handheld mode too. It took a dog's age to really discover and nail down the problem too. Eventually I concluded that its connection to the Switch just wasn't as tight as it should have been, because jiggling it a little bit reliably got it to cut out.

The DIY fix that worked for me was to cut a tiny 1CM square of thick duct tape and tape it to the bottom side of the Switch. So that when the joycon slides in, when it hits that last bit there's enough friction that the thing does not move or jiggle around. Haven't had a problem since.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I had the "right joycon disconnecting" problem too. Only in handheld mode too. It took a dog's age to really discover and nail down the problem too. Eventually I concluded that its connection to the Switch just wasn't as tight as it should have been, because jiggling it a little bit reliably got it to cut out.

The DIY fix that worked for me was to cut a tiny 1CM square of thick duct tape and tape it to the bottom side of the Switch. So that when the joycon slides in, when it hits that last bit there's enough friction that the thing does not move or jiggle around. Haven't had a problem since.

oh, it only happens to me in docked mode.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I imagine being able to charge us $60 to rebuy our games is too good of a deal for them to pass on. But there's simply no indication that this is true until they come and say it's true.

Of course this brings up the question of whether we'll ever see a "hard break" (i.e., new games won't work on old systems) in consoles ever again, or if everyone will keep on Proing and Xing.

But even if so, I could see Microsoft continuing to be awesome at BC (seriously, BC on One is like magic) and Sony being arrogant and instituting a paywall of some kind.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm the sucker target Nintendo looks for. I plan on re-buying NSMBU so I can get rid of my Switch version.

It is my favorite 2D Mario game right after SMW and I want it portable.

Plus my GCU discount will make sure I don't actually spend 60 bucks on it. (I am going to miss GCU when mine expires :( )

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I think it's getting to the point where quality games take so long to make and are so expensive, it's better for everyone if these systems maintain some sort of BC going forward. There is an instant library of games for the new platform day 1 which possibly run better. Quality games have a longer tail of sales without having to wait for a UHD or XHD or whatever resolution remaster. More games are being ran as a service these days anyhow, and it makes less sense to have a discrete "remaster" version dumped onto the market 4 years later.

Personally, I never bought a PS4 because it literally wasn't until this year that it had enough exclusives to really interest me. But between PC and Switch I have too many games already. I owned my PS3 for something like a years before I finally bought a game for it because I only bought it for MGS4, but I wanted a 60 GB fully backwards compatible model.

edited January 2019
    Namrok wrote: »
    I think it's getting to the point where quality games take so long to make and are so expensive, it's better for everyone if these systems maintain some sort of BC going forward.

Wouldn't it be better for the company to essentially resell you an uprezzed copy for $60 of a game you already paid $60 for?

urahonky on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    BC always struck me as a "No duh, win-win" situation to me.

I've never been particularly loyal to either PS or Xbox and each gen would just get the one I thought looked more promising. I suspect a lot of people were like this.

But if a next-gen system lets me continue playing the games I already own from the previous gen? Well that's a huge, HUGE incentive for me to stick with one over the other.

Sony and Microsoft need to start thinking more like PC/Steam IMHO. Buying a new console should be similar to buying a new iPhone or something. As in, I know I am getting a better version of what I got and all my old shit will still work on it.

For Nintendo though? I dunno. They're off in their own little world. I personally don't consider Nintendo to be in competition with Sony and Microsoft. Not in a negative way mind you, but more in a Sony and Microsoft are sitting at the table playing Texas Hold'em while Nintendo is playing Go Fish.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    For Nintendo though? I dunno. They're off in their own little world. I personally don't consider Nintendo to be in competition with Sony and Microsoft. Not in a negative way mind you, but more in a Sony and Microsoft are sitting at the table playing Texas Hold'em while Nintendo is playing Go Fish.

That might be the best analogy out there lol

BC doesn't really move the sales needle much -- didn't help the PS3 escape last place, and it didn't help the Xbox One come out of last place either.

Then again now that all three systems have similar architecture it should be much easier going forward, so it should be more standardized.

When I say "BC" I mean I can take my PS4 disc and put it in the PS5, download my save from the Cloud and continue playing or redownload the game from PSN, whatever the case may be. Not "Here is a select number of titles you can play, with a handful more coming out every couple a months."

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Sony cut PS2 BC support and used the excuse of "It's affecting sales of new games". Probably not actually true, but it proves they'll use it as an excuse.

And let's be real and a bit cynical. The only reason MS is still doing BC is because it's about the only bullet point they have on Sony and they'll take anything they can get. If MS were the top dog right now, I have no doubts that they wouldn't give two shits about BC.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    When I say "BC" I mean I can take my PS4 disc and put it in the PS5, download my save from the Cloud and continue playing or redownload the game from PSN, whatever the case may be. Not "Here is a select number of titles you can play, with a handful more coming out every couple a months."

Xbox One already does most of that for 360 stuff. It even auto-populates your game list with games you've downloaded. It's downright magical.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Nintendo tried being backwards compatible.
    The WiiU is about as backwards compatible as it gets. You can get every non 3DS zelda on the system for example.
    But being backwards compatible didnt help them, the system was a failure. They had to move forward and backwards compatibility was sacrificed in the process.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Nintendo tried being backwards compatible.
    The WiiU is about as backwards compatible as it gets. You can get every non 3DS zelda on the system for example.
    But being backwards compatible didnt help them, the system was a failure. They had to move forward and backwards compatibility was sacrificed in the process.

I feel they were trying to generate sales of it with how questionable and frustrating they were putting DS games on the wiiu

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Got a Switch and Smash for my b-day in early December, got some more games and accessories for Christmas.

The game I was looking forward to the most, Zelda... I, ugh, I really don't like it. Bums me out something fierce. I think I hung my expectations on the "one of the best games ever made" stuff being applied to it, which I'm sure it is for most people, but I just can't get into it. This is coming from someone who cherished Ocarina and Twilight, and even dearly loves spin-off series like Darksiders.

Oh well, Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids will be in (holiday shipping delays) tomorrow, so hopefully those will tickle my fancy more.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Nintendo is in competition with Sony, MS and PCs, what they actually meant when they said they weren't going to compete with them anymore all those years ago is that they were going to try to avoid marketing themselves in contrast to their competition. You're still deciding how to split your entertainment budget between competing platforms that include nintendo's, they just pretend there's no one else making video games in their marketing and PR. And online play implementations.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to play through Breath of the Wild again. Partially to see if the new game smell has worn off some.

There was pure magic behind that game when it came out. For starters, it was pretty much the singular game you could get on Switch when it came out. About two months prior I had managed to get my hands on it at PAX South, and was enormously impressed.

And when I got home with it after the midnight release at my local BestBuy, there was a lot of thematic overlap between turning on the Switch for the first time and exploring this brand new Nintendo system, and waking up in Breath of the Wild for the first time as Link and exploring a new continent.

Then it got me right in the feels beating it, and seeing the credits fade to a picture of the sleeping Master Sword and Iwata's Producer credit being the last thing you see.

Arguably I was under quite a spell playing through it the first time.

Got a Switch and Smash for my b-day in early December, got some more games and accessories for Christmas.

The game I was looking forward to the most, Zelda... I, ugh, I really don't like it. Bums me out something fierce. I think I hung my expectations on the "one of the best games ever made" stuff being applied to it, which I'm sure it is for most people, but I just can't get into it. This is coming from someone who cherished Ocarina and Twilight, and even dearly loves spin-off series like Darksiders.

Oh well, Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids will be in (holiday shipping delays) tomorrow, so hopefully those will tickle my fancy more.

Nah it's completely fair if you didn't like it. Some people like the formula of: going to dungeons -> Get item -> complete dungeon with item -> repeat. I miss it too. I hope they have these different types of Zelda games that come out from time to time to keep it from getting stale. So maybe the next one is more traditional and then the following is more open world.

I loved Breath of the Wild and keep meaning to start over in it again someday.... but there's so little time to play games that I haven't even played.

edited January 2019

Nah it's completely fair if you didn't like it. Some people like the formula of: going to dungeons -> Get item -> complete dungeon with item -> repeat. I miss it too. I hope they have these different types of Zelda games that come out from time to time to keep it from getting stale. So maybe the next one is more traditional and then the following is more open world.

I loved Breath of the Wild and keep meaning to start over in it again someday.... but there's so little time to play games that I haven't even played.

For a sequel I really want BoTW open world, but also there are traditional dungeons.

edit- Like I don't see it as an either/or thing. They can totally do both.

Axen on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    BotW was a shot in the arm the series desperately needed. I put over 100 hours into it and apparently found something like 17% of the stuff in the game.

Yeah, I'd love for the next game to be vastly smaller, but I have a feeling that won't be the case. I would play the shit out of a BotW DLC which was a flashback that current Zelda and Link were watching. They'd watch this ancestor Link and Zelda working together to complete dungeons. Make it in the original style with dungeon, items, boss, repeat. To save time, they could cut out all the overworld stuff and have just the dungeons. Could be fun throwback game for the fans that crave it, while extending the existing story, and having a co-op mode that makes sense.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/great-new-year-deals
    Whether you got a new system this holiday or you just need something new to play, you can find plenty of great deals on digital titles for the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
    Starting today, you can save up to 30% on select digital titles that are sure to brighten up your New Year.
    Act fast—sale ends on 1/10 at 8:59 a.m PT, so head over to Nintendo eShop and start saving now!
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 30%
    Civilization VI - 25%
    Starlink: Battle for Atlas Digital Edition - 50%
    Splatoon 2 - 30%
    Wizard of Legend - 20%
    Mega Man Legacy Collection - 25%
    Octopath Traveler - 30%
    LEGO DC Super-Villains - 50%
    Golf Story - 34%
    ARMS - 30%
    The Gardens Between - 35%
    Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King - 30%
    Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition - 30%
    Flat Heroes - 35%
    Iconoclasts - 25%
    Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle - 20%
    Horizon Chase Turbo - 10%
    Carcassonne - 20%
    Just Shapes & Beats - 25%
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Gold Edition - 67%
    Puyo Puyo Tetris - 30%
    FINAL FANTASY XV POCKET EDITION - 35%
    Jackbox Party Pack 5 - 30%
    Wandersong - 20%
    Pode - 30%
    Flinthook - 30%
    Dust: An Elysian Tale - 30%
    LEGO Harry Potter Collection - 50%
    Jackbox Party Pack - 45%
    Carnival Games - 35%
    NAMCO MUSEUM - 50%
    Spelunker Party! - 50%
    Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon - 30%
    Pokemon Battle Trozei - 30%
    FINAL FANTASY EXPLORERS - 50%
    Kirby Triple Deluxe - 30%
    3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 50%
    Fantasy Life - 30%
    Cursed Castilla - 35%
    Yoshi's New Island - 30%
    SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D EDITION - 75%
    BYE-BYE BOXBOY! - 30%
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - 60%
    Super Mario 3D Land - 30%
    THEATRHYTHM FINAL FANTASY CURTAIN CALL - 50%
    Style Savvy: Styling Star - 30%
    Gunman Clive - 50%
    Mario Party: The Top 100 - 30%
    Retro City Rampage DX - 30%
    Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - 30%
    Culdcept Revolt - 30%
    RPG Maker FES - 30%

KoopahTroopah on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    BotW was a shot in the arm the series desperately needed. I put over 100 hours into it and apparently found something like 17% of the stuff in the game.

Yeah, I'd love for the next game to be vastly smaller, but I have a feeling that won't be the case. I would play the shit out of a BotW DLC which was a flashback that current Zelda and Link were watching. They'd watch this ancestor Link and Zelda working together to complete dungeons. Make it in the original style with dungeon, items, boss, repeat. To save time, they could cut out all the overworld stuff and have just the dungeons. Could be fun throwback game for the fans that crave it, while extending the existing story, and having a co-op mode that makes sense.

Between myself, my girlfriend, and her daughter we have over 1,000 hours in that game. I really hope they use that engine again and make a bunch of ease of life tweaks in the next game.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

For a sequel I really want BoTW open world, but also there are traditional dungeons.

I hope the next BotW style Zelda game dials back some of the more annoying game elements. Chiefly the stamina meter and weapon durability thing. Assassins Creed Odyssey was basically the game I wanted BotW to be. I could climb and run to my heart's content without managing stamina, and the game experience was not made worse because of this. The game also showers you with weapons to use, and gives you a reason to switch it up by giving them varied abilities instead of forcing you to switch weapons because they break after three swings.

Customizable settings would be nice, at least. Let me turn off stamina, durability, and the other annoying survival sim stuff if I want.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The Mario + Rabbids deal is insane. Game + All DLC for $26 bucks. The DLC via season pass is $20 alone.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I hope the next BotW style Zelda game dials back some of the more annoying game elements. Chiefly the stamina meter and weapon durability thing. Assassins Creed Odyssey was basically the game I wanted BotW to be. I could climb and run to my heart's content without managing stamina, and the game experience was not made worse because of this. The game also showers you with weapons to use, and gives you a reason to switch it up by giving them varied abilities instead of forcing you to switch weapons because they break after three swings.

Customizable settings would be nice, at least. Let me turn off stamina, durability, and the other annoying survival sim stuff if I want.

I personally didn't have a problem with stamina. I think I upgraded it two or three times and never felt the need for more.

Weapon durability though. Goddamn that was awful. And I don't mind weapon durability in games, but BoTW was ridiculous.

I'd prefer they either cut it out completely or make it more like, say, Dark Souls where your weapon will go to shit but it takes awhile and you can fix it.