As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Work's been postponed for two hours due to freezing rain. Got my fingers crossed that things will deteriorate enough for a snow day but not so much that the power goes out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Back to work today

The heating is broken so it is 4°C in the office

I did one meeting in a Starbucks and now I'm working from home

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Man

Much as I like my job

I really look forward to when I have enough leave to take a full week off and not have to worry about not having enough for later in the year

I really could have used a longer break than just Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's! I'm still pretty worn out! I'd very much prefer to be sleeping right now!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Woo! Snow day! Time to make another pot of coffee and not change out of my pajamas!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Today one of our supervisors came back from 17 days off and said he was going, "Stir crazy" and "had to come back to work or he would go crazy" and my response was just that webcomic of the guy with 5 question marks in a think cloud over his head.

I am absolutely this way. Gotta be useful somehow, and it can be hard to start up a nebulously defined project on your own terms. It's easier to do more at my job.

It helps if you get a cut of the profits in some way.

I just find a hobby to do

like napping or sleeping

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We should have had a snow delay for the kid and wife's schools today. Driving was a mess but the snow is already lightening up, it's pretty much the exact situation delays are made for.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    You guys that cat shelter I am going to try to volunteer at has a webpage of cats up for adaption and I clicked on it and now I'm dead they are all too cute.

It's going to be super hard to not want to take them home.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    You guys that cat shelter I am going to try to volunteer at has a webpage of cats up for adaption and I clicked on it and now I'm dead they are all too cute.

Bastetspeed

Bastetspeed

This was a good joke and I appreciated it once I thought about it for a few minutes haha.

I also called OOD this morning to check on my referral to the job developer so my case worker is double checking this morning.

Also I think my resume layout is looking pretty good? I'm sure I'm going to need to edit it but I like displaying some basic proficiency with Word right on my resume. How do ya'll feel about columns on a resume though? I'm kinda iffy on if it is the right choice or not? I think it makes it look tidier but then maybe it'll be better as one column after some editing?

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i am not used to having a well insulated house

it was -10 F (-23.3 C) on the way in this morning

which is apparently below the operating temperature for my shocks

i was not prepared for this at all

zkHcp.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am finding there just isn't enough actual work for me day to day. I come in, do my morning stuff in 1-2 hours, and then do my weekly stuff. If I get all that done theres a giant data entry project that I've been working on off and on since I got here but its extremely boring busy work and I've even been told its not that important which really sapped my motivation to do it.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Man

Much as I like my job

I really look forward to when I have enough leave to take a full week off and not have to worry about not having enough for later in the year

I really could have used a longer break than just Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's! I'm still pretty worn out! I'd very much prefer to be sleeping right now!

The bolded is, like, my life motto.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Some days I'm really bummed I don't live in the other timeline.

Where each day I can wake up with the freedom to do what I'm passionate about, and create new things. Rather than waking up to do work for someone else, leaving myself too drained to follow the pursuit in the prescious hours left in the day.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I want to move the tv in the library from mounted on a pillar to sitting on top of a cabinet since the pillar is in a bad spot and it would help flow and noise separation from the video game program. I should probably secure the TV somehow just in case. Any good way to secure it without screwing it to the top of the cabinet? Some type of bike lock cable with a mount on the inside of the cabinet?

Any good ideas? I am already cutting a big hole in the back of the cabinet for wires so I could easily run a cable inside that way.

Am I overthinking this? There are already a ton a computers in the library just sitting there and only one kid has ever tried to heist one of those.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    So I want to move the tv in the library from mounted on a pillar to sitting on top of a cabinet since the pillar is in a bad spot and it would help flow and noise separation from the video game program. I should probably secure the TV somehow just in case. Any good way to secure it without screwing it to the top of the cabinet? Some type of bike lock cable with a mount on the inside of the cabinet?

Any good ideas? I am already cutting a big hole in the back of the cabinet for wires so I could easily run a cable inside that way.

Am I overthinking this? There are already a ton a computers in the library just sitting there and only one kid has ever tried to heist one of those.

What size is the TV?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AI2YGK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9nKlCbQJZ3EFQ
    You could use something like this to both secure and allow angle adjustments. If the cabinet has an exposed edge at the back you don’t even have to drill through it (though drilling would make it extra secure)

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

You could use a ratchet strap and feed it through the hole (depending on the size of the hole and ratchet strap). Or a bungee cord. I'd recommend getting one of those sticky hook things and fit it under the hole under the cabinet top. That way you aren't making more holes than you need.
    Though depending on the way the tv mounts to the base that really doesn't add more stability. Do you have a picture of the mount? It might be best to drill 2 holes on the cabinet to thread a bolt through if the tv base has something.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have to announce the birthdays during the morning announcements. Last year when I did it on my birthday I was able to just sneak my name out with the student who was also celebrating on the 3rd, but today there wasn't anyone, so I had AP do it since he was doing the countdown for our New Year celebration we are doing today at the school. They made a whole thing about it. Also I've got balloons on my desk that they gave me so everyone has been wishing me a happy birthday. It's both nice and feels weird in a way. But yeah, it's nice. They also got me cake and a card.

Happy birthday, Goose!!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited January 2019
    I just checked out that cat shelter. Just gotta do up a quick online application and come in anytime really.

It's a very nice shelter, lots of nice cats that I hope will find good homes. Until then I'm going to be helping out late mornings to early afternoons to socialize them, clean a bit, maybe do little bits of clerical stuff or answer the phones if necessary.

Plus it is walking distance from me now.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    You're going to end up adopting 6 cats.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited January 2019
    Considering another cat would be an additional 25 dollars on my monthly rent naw nope.

Also Duck isn't nice to other cats.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Get cats that hide when strangers come over. They will never get an accurate count of your cats.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Volunteered to lead/organize a charity gaming event at my work - last year was the first time we did it and we raised $10k for local children's hospitals. The organizer of that event is no longer with the company, so I stepped up to keep it going.

I have never done anything like this before and am excited/terrified?

Ah yeah

Ninja cats, hiding in plain sight.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Get cats that hide when strangers come over. They will never get an accurate count of your cats.

When I was a kid we had one of ours cats run away/disappear and my mom just went out and bought a similar looking one (same breed, similar coloration)

My dad never knew the difference

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Man

Much as I like my job

The bolded is, like, my life motto.

This did lead me to check and see I have 3 more vacation days left than I'd thought before

Hm.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Yesterday sucked as I have to work with ungrateful shits
    They lolly gagged around downstacking the GM trucks the grocery truck came right before lunch.
    They barely did the freight one person when he left had over 15 pallets to do. I was there until about 5:30 working what was left.
    I am writing up the one that left all the freight and addressing the rest of them. I know I am not a D&D bard because I don't have inspire but still if you want to level at 2300 then work like it

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    One of my cats likes to hop into my arms and give me cat hugs, the other likes to sit on my and make biscuits. I would 100% notice if you swapped my cats out.

I would also go John Wick on you.

Bucketman wrote: »
    One of my cats likes to hop into my arms and give me cat hugs, the other likes to sit on my and make biscuits. I would 100% notice if you swapped my cats out.

... Bucketyaga?

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Grobian wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    Status update on those jobs I'm most interested in is that the search is ongoing (one I applied for 8ish weeks ago and the other 5 weeks ago). Should I just write these off, or...?

Sadly, I would think so. The 5 weeks one might be delayed because of the holidays, but if you haven't even heard from them, then I'd assume they don't want to interview you.

Anyway, if you have some contact info, then it doesn't hurt to ask.

Yeah, that's how I got the message about the ongoing search-- I've been taking screenshots of postings so that I have something to use as prep for interviews in the unlikely event I get one, including the name of the person in charge of the search (and usually contact information, but I can ferret that out on my own for a public organization with the name). I sent another message this morning and was told that they're still reviewing applications (end of the semester plus holidays equals things slowing down in academia), so... still some hope. Not going to stop me from looking for other stuff, but yeah.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My dog will hug me
    My brother thinks it's both weird and interesting he does hug but only hugs me

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

... Bucketyaga?

I heard he once killed three men... with a bucket.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Customer comes up with her boyfriend. She had some charges on her account because money was being sent to an account in the boyfriend's name. His excuse was:

BF: Well she sends me to the ATM sometimes.
    Coworker: These were electronic transfers sent to a Square account.

A lot of back-and-forth that was going in circles.

BF: Well it might be from when she sends me to the ATM.
    C: That can't possibly be the case. These funds were transferred over the internet not an ATM.
    BF:...what is the internet?

BOLD STRATEGY.

Kaplar on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    That is a great attempt at a Fat Tony "What's a murder?" strategy.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Customer comes up with her boyfriend. She had some charges on her account because money was being sent to an account in the boyfriend's name. His excuse was:

C: That can't possibly be the case. These funds were transferred over the internet not an ATM.

BOLD STRATEGY.

so uh sounds like dude was straight up stealing from her?

hope he was an ex bf by the end of the discussion

zkHcp.jpg
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »

BOLD STRATEGY.

so uh sounds like dude was straight up stealing from her?

hope he was an ex bf by the end of the discussion

They were a slightly older couple and she was yelling at him by the end.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Internet, huh? Sounds fake.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

What size is the TV?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AI2YGK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9nKlCbQJZ3EFQ
    You could use something like this to both secure and allow angle adjustments. If the cabinet has an exposed edge at the back you don’t even have to drill through it (though drilling would make it extra secure)

It is a 50"

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I just ordered a universal stand from Amazon that should work. I’ll play the securing by ear.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Look, if it doesn't fall on a kid, it's fine and doesn't need to be fastened.

If it does fall on a kid, throw a drill in their hands and tell them to fix it. They probably shouldn't have been standing there.

Anon the Felon on
This discussion has been closed.