As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Gifted] The X-Men But Not

SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodlerA cold placeRegistered User regular
f6abe3f7b9a5844b60a57b7c45336b01f1195953.jpg?mw=600

I finally had a chance to see Fox's The Gifted, and... it is just all over the place. It's not bad exactly, though frankly the main characters arent the most sympathetic, and there was that really odd choice that neither the X-Men or the Brotherhood are around anymore in the setting, having mysteriously disappeared for some reason. The setting is also unusally bleak even for an X-Men series, it's like, one giant robot away from literally being Days of Future Past. They also didnt do a very good job making the Mutant Underground engaging, it's a bad sign when the friggin Hellfire Club is more appealing because atleast they have a goal beyond hiding and complaining.

Thoughts?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I watched the first four or five episodes as they aired but then lost interest.

It just felt kind of boring and tired in some areas and I couldn't quite bring myself to care about any of the characters or anything that happened.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I was really enjoying this. I put it aside to watch Star Trek Discovery and This is Us, but I've been meaning to go back to it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Series gets better as it goes on. I genuinely enjoyed it by the end.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I am a big fan of this show. It feels like it's trying to find its stride for most of the first season, but they aren't shy about using the superpowers a bunch so that's super fun. I'm willing to keep up with the next season.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Between this and The Runaways, this has better action and production values, but Runaways has better characters and story.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    It's also weird how they decided to tie the main characters to fucking Von Strucker of all people. What, Red Skull was busy?

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I thought it was alright. Enough to finish the season. Was starting to seem overly contrived with the decisions everyone was making near the end of the season and I almost quit, but the show did not go off the rails it had a purpose and a twist.

If second season comes back stronger I will be a fan.

• Options
    tonybrukstonybruks Registered User new member
    In every scene, there's strain not simply amongst mutants and the different individuals from the Strucker family, yet additionally with Reed's inner voice and whether he'll turn on the general population helping his family, so as to give a break with the legislature in trusts it'll save his family.

• Options
    So is anyone else watching the second season of this or is it just me

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I’m enjoying it so far. The tease at the end of the last episode that
    the triplets may be subtly controlling Polaris

Has me excited since that made the least since out of everything.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I thought the first season was a real mess, but it had roots of much goodness. I'm in for a second season, at least on DVR. I think the whole Mutant Underground idea is pretty much the only way to afford a good X-Men series, so maybe they can pull it off (can't exactly pay for Psylocke and Cyclops every episode).

Though there was definitely a little bit of a gross Hollywoodian whiplash as a watcher of The Goldbergs on ABC -- The actor playing the daughter went from innocent preteen Adam's girlfriend to "can these sweaters be any tighter, Fox?" Kudos to her for getting a series regular job, but damnit, that was awkward!

• Options
    holy shit apparently the mom's super power is having a super fucked moral compass

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Sleep wrote: »
    holy shit apparently the mom's super power is having a super fucked moral compass

Who saw that coming?
    220px-Illyria%28angel%29.jpg

CfX0I_PWsAQaYpR.jpg

482456.png?165

For those who don't know these characters they're: Illyria (Angel), Kelly Peyton (Alias) and Samantha Groves (Person of Interest).

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular

Who saw that coming?
    220px-Illyria%28angel%29.jpg

CfX0I_PWsAQaYpR.jpg

482456.png?165

For those who don't know these characters they're: Illyria (Angel), Kelly Peyton (Alias) and Samantha Groves (Person of Interest).

Whoa! I knew I recognized the mom from somewhere. She was Fred? Mind blown a little bit.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Meh,
    he was fine. And they did pull bullets out of John, if he wasn't needed he'd be pasted all over anyway!

Reed needs to be a bit more careful with the hugs, though, and not pop pills so it explodes later...

• Options
    So uh, Jace's storyline is going some fuckin places...

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

I wonder if we'll see him get fully radicalized and murder some mutants or will we see him redeemed/turned ally.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

I wonder if we'll see him get fully radicalized and murder some mutants or will we see him redeemed/turned ally.

It's getting real hard to be cool with that second one.

Like he might be a very terrifying example of a charismatic villain.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I like their portrayal of Bishop.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Yeah it's getting real hard to see jace having a face turn I'll find acceptable... dude bombed a church...

I will say this whole show is going some places on the subject of radicalization

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    With Fox being bought by Disney hopefully Marvel won't cancel the X-men shows. Either make them a seperate universe from the MCU (ala Gotham) or soft reboot them into the MCU. The Gifted is too awesome to get rid of, and Amy Acker needs be regularly on tv.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Huh, just reading wiki now I didn't realize who you were talking about. But yeah, that is totally Bishop.

I also noticed today that all of the episode titles from the first season has capitalized "X"s in them. Season 2 has capitalized "M"s.
    So maybe they're got a four season arc plotted out?

• Options
    Selner wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Huh, just reading wiki now I didn't realize who you were talking about. But yeah, that is totally Bishop.

I also noticed today that all of the episode titles from the first season has capitalized "X"s in them. Season 2 has capitalized "M"s.
    So maybe they're got a four season arc plotted out?

We're talking about erg right?

Cause erg, while similar to bishop powers wise, is totally a pre existing character.

That said it seems like they are rolling some bishop aspects into his character.

• Options
    I disliked how Eclipse suddenly become unable to even hit the cars. Knock him out if you want to remove his powers. They just can't do battles in this normally, so the show suffers when they set them up.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    With Fox being bought by Disney hopefully Marvel won't cancel the X-men shows. Either make them a seperate universe from the MCU (ala Gotham) or soft reboot them into the MCU. The Gifted is too awesome to get rid of, and Amy Acker needs be regularly on tv.

I really don’t want X-Men (outside of the ones who have already been introduced, but not as “mutants”) as part of the MCU. They just feel too different, plus it’d require a Scarlett Witch retcon.

WRT to the last episode, I don’t want to say I’m enjoying the Jace arc because that feels wrong, but I do find it interesting.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    X-Men never quite gel with the rest of the Marvel Universe in the comics, either.

• Options
    By the time the X-men show up the MCU may need them, so change may be fine. Depends on how the B team Avengers do.

• Options
    Reed really needs to think of "Not touching things" as a band aid for his little problem. It's only from his hands so far, fucking stop using them!

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Lorna's father revealed finally!
    Well..not really but they did everything they could to make you know it is Magneto except for saying the word Magneto.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    I love how comic book polaris' hair is getting

• Options
    edited January 2019
    "It keeps the hair out of my eyes.".

Though of course laser guy then decided the ground was the enemy.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    "It keeps the hair out of me eyes.".

Though of course laser guy then decided the ground was the enemy.

Pretty sure they mentioned a mine field. I assumed that was what he was targeting. Granted, I wasn't paying tremendously close attention, so I could be wrong.
    Can you set off mines with hand lasers? I don't know.

• Options
    They did, but then he failed to cover them afterwards if that was what he was doing.

But then they should have never been able to tie Jon up either, so I'll just have to go with it.