As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Bless you, h&m, for satisfying my need for green flowy trousers at a considerably lower price than the previous pair I found

nq129kujho3s.jpg

Is there a name for this sort of trouser?

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Oh yeah, I want it
    gimmedat gimmedat ice cream
    dNudbMl.png

ooh!
    81dRjMNeHGL._UX679_.jpg

lfchwLd.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I found some decent enough long sleeve sweaters at Walmart for my one outfit for later this month.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »

Oh yeah, I want it
    gimmedat gimmedat ice cream
    dNudbMl.png

ooh!
    81dRjMNeHGL._UX679_.jpg

Should I ever get married I have always wanted to find a way to work fiberoptic fabric into a dress somehow

It's very pretty!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Cello, I demand your wedding look like it takes place in a computer akin to Tron.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    @Cello, I demand your wedding look like it takes place in a computer akin to Tron.

Oh no, you've figured out my Wedding Aesthetic already

Guess I gotta get a new style or it won't be a surprise

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    If I ever get married

I'm pretty sure I'm going to elope.

If not I want a heavy metal themed wedding.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Fiber optic wedding dress sounds boss as hell. Totally hoping to steal that if I ever get married.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2019

I'm not sure if theres an overall name, but I would call them a "wide leg pant with paperbag waist"

tynic on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Okay here we go

(Also not my room uh my roommate has better mirrors than me)

Denim jacket - I went with size M cuz I’d tried the S in stores from same brand and was p tight, mayhaps it’s a bit long but it feels generally good to me? Especially once I break it in I imagine?
    66s8xHRl.jpg

And this very unique coat I purchased of which there were only a handful made and it was not a well thought out purchase and it was pricey for an impulse buy... but it’s cool af?
    W3tyT16l.jpg
    WeivOQMl.jpg

poo
    A bad thing though
    Having a nice coat like that makes me want to get a nice non backpack bag because I don’t want to mess up a nice coat carrying a backpack on the shoulders

🤔🤔🤔

poo
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I feel that

My daily work messenger doesn't with the new coat I got this season, and like, I'm still using it, but I sort of wish I had something else instead, especially if I go anywhere after work

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I'm not sure if theres an overall name, but I would call them a "wide leg pant with paperbag waist"

Ah dang it, I was about to recommend some cool uniqlo pants that Nat found recently, but they’ve been replaced by a significantly less cool version now.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've found most uniqlo trousers to be uh
    ... not built for my shape, let's say.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I successfully implemented a Dutch crown braid on my own hair this morning after reading a tutorial. I’ve already peaked in 2019 as far as intentional styling for my hair (insert crowning achievement joke here).

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It's pretty effed up that in 2019 a clothing company still wouldn't make pants with holes in the back for a barbed tail.

• DabeDabe Photographist Portland, ORRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    @tynic those pants are incredibly powerful and you pull them off well!

@Shazkar Shadowstorm great pickups. I think that jacket should break in and drape a bit better so it won't look nearly as rigid. I imagine the small would too but doubt the length difference would be significant.

• DabeDabe Photographist Portland, ORRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    First graphic tee purchase in over a year (scene from Hereditary)

iyfjoer7ijn8.jpg

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    The backpack, it is still oily all through the padded areas at the base.

Gahhh very annoy.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    The backpack, it is still oily all through the padded areas at the base.

I had a timbuk2 bag that I had to retire due to almost the exact same reason. Good luck but oofa

Dabe wrote: »
    @tynic those pants are incredibly powerful and you pull them off well!

@Shazkar Shadowstorm great pickups. I think that jacket should break in and drape a bit better so it won't look nearly as rigid. I imagine the small would too but doubt the length difference would be significant.

Thanks @Dabe - I made a reddit post also to see about the fit - https://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/comments/aco80z/fit_check_another_3sixteen_15y_type_3s/?st=JQJVTFAT&sh=80458350

It was tricky, since I wear small generally for all their shirts, and some other jacket I have from 3sixteen, but I went with medium for this since I heard they fit small

There are some other pics in there - including an old (not super ideally shot) photo of when I was in a store trying on a size S of the same cut of jacket in a different denim
    I was able to button it up but it was snug everywhere, though I imagine with breaking in that would loosen slightly and be more comfortable

Any thoughts on your end on the size for me? (Measurements avail here https://www.3sixteen.com/collections/new/products/type-3s-denim-jacket-15-year )

There’s definitely some extra room in the torso area, not a slim fit or anything - there’s a chance I could size down and let it break in and loosen up, but I could also see this working pretty well

(If anyone else wants to chime in with advice or thinks more photos would help lmk)

poo
    edited January 2019
    My friend was over and I showed it to him, he said it seemed pretty boxy / lots of extra space on me
    So maybe I do want to go with a small??

Edit: trying it on again it’s def too much space in the back, too much extra fabric I think
    Gonna see if I can return it, the return window was short but the delivery happened xmas eve to my office and the earliest I could pick it up was Jan 3, so I wanna see if they’ll make an exception

Otherwise I dunno
    Try and sell it, and if that doesn’t work, see if a soak will shrink it any?

Double edit: whew they’ll let me return it
    Gonna do so and then try a small

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/SS80KC2.jpg

How do I see the size of one of these images again?

Got a haircut and beard trim, feeling pretty good about it

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that one is 360 KB, 1950x1850px
    on desktop the forums scale images down to fit in the post frame if they're too large, probably in mobile too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    First graphic tee purchase in over a year (scene from Hereditary)

iyfjoer7ijn8.jpg

The key to showing off graphic tees is to make sure you cannot see the graphic in either picture.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Uhg. I need to lose a bit of weight this month for sure. This clothes item I ordered fits but only just, and I'm going to need to find a long undershirt somehow as is. Preferably a compression one around 4x.

Well I have a few weeks. If I don't drink any sugar and start getting some regular cardio I should be better off by then.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm feelin' vain so check it out - I wore a nice suit for New Year's Eve

I12bhdY.jpg?1

You can't really see it, but my nails, lips, and eyes were also golden

if only I could be so grossly incandescent

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Does anyone remember who the awesome individual was with the awesome handlebar mustache in the holiday forum beard thread? Their forum name was a bunch of vowels

I need guidance

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Does anyone remember who the awesome individual was with the awesome handlebar mustache in the holiday forum beard thread? Their forum name was a bunch of vowels

I need guidance

Paging @Aioua (I think!)

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    It is I!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    @Aioua

What are your thoughts regarding wax and combs?

How long does it take to go from "this damn mustache is tickling my lip and getting in the way" to "ah, I've finally tamed the thing" and it lays correctly parted?

I had some of the middle hairs trimmed up to make the length more uniform and balanced

Aioua

What are your thoughts regarding wax and combs?

How long does it take to go from "this damn mustache is tickling my lip and getting in the way" to "ah, I've finally tamed the thing" and it lays correctly parted?

I had some of the middle hairs trimmed up to make the length more uniform and balanced

I will actually trim short above my lip and I only keep the ends long enough to style. You need either really compliant hair or really stiff wax to have a part that won't get in the way.

I have a Kent comb. Sure $10 for a tiny comb seems crazy but the thick nicely polished plastic is so much more pleasant to use.

Wax is trickier, there are a bunch of them out there with various degrees of embarrassing branding but you kinda just gotta try them until you find one that works. I like the stiffer waxier kind. They seem too hard at first but once you scrape some off and rub it between your fingers it'll melt a bit, and then I think it picks up oils and moisture from the air and it loosens up. I've used ones that were softer to start with but by the time they were worked into my stache they had no hold and were basically just conditioner.

When I'm trimming I'll get it a little bit waxed, then brush everything straight down. Then I'll hold the comb vertical at the corner of my mouth and brush straight out, to separate the part I want to keep long. Then I'll go back though with scissors and trim the rest along the top of my lip.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    edited January 2019
    Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

I bought one of those little Kent combs a few weeks ago and some fisticuffs? brand wax and I don't know if I'm not doing something correctly or what, but I cannot get it to loosen up, it looks like I have chewing gum in my mustache, unless I comb it to the point it doesn't do anything at all

The tin said to scrape out a pea sized amount and rub it between thumb and forefinger until it melts, then rub it into the mustache starting in the middle, and I do that

But it doesn't really work, it stays... chunky? on my finger and I try rubbing this chunky paste into my mustache

Yep, that's a thing I typed

DouglasDanger on
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I had a pretty sweet beard and decent handlebar going on about a year or two ago, but it got to the point where I was spending more time grooming than a daily shave and once it started to warm up I got fed up and shaved the whole thing off.

Go smaller than pea sized at first, work that bit in, comb it straight down then out. If you need more, just repeat the process. I had fisticuffs wax as well and sometimes the wax didn't feel fully homogenized and it took a bit of work to get it to go on smoothly.

Depending on how your hair curls you may want to experiment with twisting the ends clockwise or anticlockwise and see which feels more natural and holds a shape better. Trimming the hair that grows directly under your nose may feel better in the short term but makes things more difficult to shape in the long run. It sucks being at the in-between stage, there's not really much you can do but wait it out.

I've had fisticuffs brand that didn't do that so I wonder if they have some quality control issues.

Try leaving the tin open while you're showering I think the humidity and heat helps?

Help me I like this outfit too much

I think this is your best option. Seems like you could make it work once broken in for an ideal fit.

I think this is your best option. Seems like you could make it work once broken in for an ideal fit.

Ya
    Well, actually for now I just returned it, I may purchase a small in that style or a different denim at some point later, holding off for now

poo
    My selvedge jacket arrived

I don't think I'll ever be cool enough to wear this thing