As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Nov 8: SQ 185x5x3
    Dec 20: SQ 315x5x3

Thanks Rip...?

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Knew it was coming, got struck by lifter's elbow. It's been manageable, squats it's gotten better by working on shoulder mobility and ohp I can massage it out, but bench had been fine up until last night. Put 10# on from my last set of triples and the damn thing nearly gave out on me. I'm assuming ice and time, maybe sleeves. Are there any useful stretches maybe? I've just seen some weird angle stuff that seems like it would be more hindering than helpful

Knew it was coming, got struck by lifter's elbow. It's been manageable, squats it's gotten better by working on shoulder mobility and ohp I can massage it out, but bench had been fine up until last night. Put 10# on from my last set of triples and the damn thing nearly gave out on me. I'm assuming ice and time, maybe sleeves. Are there any useful stretches maybe? I've just seen some weird angle stuff that seems like it would be more hindering than helpful

It's really important to diagnose the underlying positional problem correctly in these cases since connective tissue is non-vascular and hence heals really slowly. Best thing to do would be to post form videos of your squat and bench.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Kinda kicking myself for taking a rest week now that the outcome looks like:
    - Rest week
    - Back at it for one week
    - Oops sick for a week
    :P owell

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Apologies for the crappy Facebook video but that's all there is; biggest man you've never heard of Vlad Alhazov squatted 525kg (1157 lbs) in wraps, got two whites and one red from a side judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZs6yhiRms

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Some serious fucking strength.

Been just punching the clock as far as lifting goes. Have done a few heavy days, very low volume in general. Gonna commit to a week or more conditioning and see where that takes me. Weight is steady, just kind of feel like a hefty boy

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited January 2019
    1157 in wraps is incomprehensible, it's basically an imaginary number. The single ply record is 1113, Vlad went 40 pounds over that in a singlet. It's the definition of I Can't Even

I got a sandbag for Christmas that I'm looking forward to seeing through it's paces all year. It's loadable in ten pounds increments from ten to a hundred so I should be good for the foreseeable future, gonna try to be a much more ripped me.

Peen on
    edited January 2019
    Sandbag is good stuff.

Squats and deadlifts have been moving much better. I attribute that to hammering RDLs and good mornings more. I keep tweaking my trap so upperbody movements are very timid.

Problem is even when I squat sometimes and drive into the bar I can feel the trap start to bark.

Summer: tweak left trap doing some supersets of rear delt raises and shrugs

Three weeks ago: tweak right trap doing pull ups

Last week: tweak right trap doing military press.

Moral of the story: roll out more

Dead Legend on
    Two cycles of 5/3/1, now it's a deload week. I'll probably eventually get videos up of my bench and squat, but taking a look at it myself, it seems pretty clear my problem is shoulder mobility (I just have terrible mobility in general anyways) probably amplified by tight pec minors. So, stretching and band work, something I should be doing anyways but neglect to do far too often.

edited January 2019
    When your lifts are going great and you remember that in four months you're going to be running 50+ miles per week

2qcd57.jpg

Methuselah on
    Do it!

My five year old has always been a little heavier than her sister, but also strong for her size, and she's starting to realize it and it makes me pretty happy. She pinch lifted two 2.5 lb plates in each hand tonight and held them for a good while, and lifted a 25 lb dumbbell in each hand and honestly I didn't know if she could do it.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Some people are just going to be big. May as well be yoked as fuck.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I filled my sandbags and did a little bit of stuff to try the whole thing out. Turns out cleaning a 100 lb sandbag is really hard if you don't regularly do cleans! Otherwise the whole thing seems like it'll do exactly what I want it to, which is get me more fit and also make me hate everything.

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    My New Years resolution is doing more conditioning and core work. So hit the gym at 6am this morning and did a bunch of circuits.

1. 4 rounds

Heavy farmer walks 50m
    Bosu ball sit-ups to failure
    Kettlebell swings 12-15 reps

2. 3 rounds

GHD back raises to failure
    Kettlebell suitcase carries 50m each arm

3. 2 rounds

Medicine ball slams 12-15reps
    Battle rope to failure

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    For getting generally stronger, if all you had was adjustable dumbbells (2, each 5-75 lbs, and I am baby so this will work for a while) no bench, and normal household things, what sort of program could you make? Most things are pretty easy to figure out, it's not always ideal but I can do weighted squats holding them either above like a finished shoulder press or one held to my chest, I can of course do curls for bicep, rows for lats and plenty of shoulder work, but chest and lower back are eluding me. Any tips? I would love a bench, but we really just don't have room. (And a rack is right out)

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I think it’s hard to recommend a specific program as most programs are built on having a barbell, bench and a rack. I would try to make one myself centered around linear progression. Look up athelean-x on YouTube, he has a lot of exercises centered around barebones training options.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    You could do dumbbell RDLs for your lower back and hamstrings and pushups for your chest. Chad Waterbury's written some good dumbbell complexes that you could do, it's not a program exactly but rotating them and doing them regularly will definitely get you stronger.

First one:
    Reverse Lunges: 6 reps on each leg
    Romanian Deadlift: 12 reps
    Good Morning: 12 reps
    Front Squat: 6 reps
    Military Press: 6 reps
    Bentover Row: 6 reps
    Floor Press: 12 reps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLBL2U_wjVo

Second one:
    Standing hammer curl for 5 reps
    Standing alternating shoulder press for 10 reps with each arm
    Forward lunge for 10 reps with each leg
    Bentover alternating row for 10 reps with each arm
    Reverse lunge with overhead press (palms facing each other) for 10 reps with each leg
    Romanian deadlift for 20 reps
    Standing calf raise (arms hanging at sides) for 30 reps

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Thanks so much! Program might have been the wrong word, but I'm happy with anything designed by a sane person who knows more than me to help the numbers go up. I won't be competitive, just would like to be fitter in general. (And Lord I hate cardio)

My New Years resolution is doing more conditioning and core work. So hit the gym at 6am this morning and did a bunch of circuits.

1. 4 rounds

Heavy farmer walks 50m
    Kettlebell swings 12-15 reps

2. 3 rounds

GHD back raises to failure
    Kettlebell suitcase carries 50m each arm

3. 2 rounds

Medicine ball slams 12-15reps
    Battle rope to failure

I also did some cardio recently...15 minutes on the bike and 4 rounds of jump rope.

Planning on keeping that up, but may lay off the heavier upperbody stuff while the trap is acting up and do more circuit based stuff.

At least I can still squat reasonably heavy

I think I made a new years gym goals resolution last year, or at some point in time during the year. Don't remember what it was anymore, pretty sure I didn't meet any of them (squats maybe though).

New year, new goals though. No numbers, but increased mobility and strengthening my weak parts are my priorities.

Unfortunately for me this means actually working on my abs, but fortunately I discovered ab cable pulldowns and leg raises are actually kinda fun (and the leg raises help loosen my lower back super well. Not as good as a reverse hyper, but better than anything else I've tried).

Well, I guess some numbers. Between creatine, BBB sets, and always eating, I've put on about 20# that I'd like to get rid of. It's not going to be fun to lose, but I'm hoping it results in slightly visible abs and that vein popping in my biceps. Time will tell

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Unfortunately it's hard for me to deny now that I'm out of the squatting game, maybe permanently. My back immediately started hurting again after a single session with 60kgs, and I think I'd be better off figuring out a different approach to leg training rather than pushing this rock up the hill again. Maybe I can learn to love lunges?

Mark Dugdale just made a blog post about that very thing!

• duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    Much less helpfully, I know that Cavaliere started using Bulgarian Split Squats after the standard ones led to injury, but I think those were because of knee issues not back ones.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Pushing rocks up hills is great conditioning though.

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Is a rowing machine a good conditioning vehicle? It seems like it would work out... Everything.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Is a rowing machine a good conditioning vehicle? It seems like it would work out... Everything.

Yes

And it does.

Rowing is a full body exercise.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yes rowing is a great form of torture.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I don't know if anyone has experience in buying one, but I see some for $1500 and some for less than $100; can I actually skate by on something that cheap?

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    We had a <£100 one. It broke two weeks after the year warranty ended. Luckily the shop exchanged it without arguing. The replacement broke after six months.

We didn't replace it that time and got a refund instead.

That said I'd expect you'd be alright as long as you didn't get the cheapest one possible like we did.

Ashaman42 on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Check out any local Play it Again Sports or other used athletic equipment stores for the Precore 2 models. You can get them for like 1/2 of retail and as long as everything is smooth then it should last you quite a while with maintenance and proper use.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Kneeling landmine presses are humbling

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I did a back workout today and my back didn't hurt for a few hours, then it started hurting, then it calmed down. I think I will proceed with back workouts.

I love landmine presses so much.

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Finally got my hand back and I can’t even do 25 push-ups. This is gonna be a long walk back up.

3 more weeks and I can start doing some light barbell stuff as long as my PT signs off on it. Until then, guess I’m gonna do a whole lot of cable work and body weight stuff.

Atleast my squat didn’t suffer too much. I could never get a decent hand placement on it with the cast on but I appreciate the advice Dead Legend. 2 months off and 155 kg for a set of doubles isn’t too much loss after all.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I’ve been lifting again finally

My wrist is still donked up over a year later but wearing this wrist widget helps
    I think it’s basically wear this or like get surgery and I don’t want that

Elbow tendinitis shit also still bothering me since the summer but gonna get an elbow sleeve

Knee injuries and back injury not getting in my way that much though

This was all a ton easier before I injured myself in so many ways and I’m still mad at myself for it

poo
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

I love landmine presses so much.

I need to build a landmine.

Shit, I'm probably on a list now aren't I?

I'm looking at buying one for my gym (if they won't buy one themselves). None of the cages have attachment points for one, so it's gotta be a stand alone. Don't really like either option I know of (post or home plate), but the plate gets good reviews and would probably get used more by other people.

Unrelated, I don't know if anyone has followed the dogcrap method in the past, but this video popped up a little while ago as a way to do your accessories. Basically (because the video is 35 minutes long) high rep activation set, no rest working sets. I don't know how effective it really is long term, but it's cutting my session by about 15-20 minutes and it feels like it's hitting just as hard

https://youtu.be/-zq_3uZiJ5o

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    I’ve been squatting in my running shoes mainly because I don’t really have anything else. I’ve gotten to the point that when I’m coming out of the hole on my heavier lifts, my left ankle likes to lift.

I feel like it’s time for me to throw down on some quality weightlifting shoes. Or my ankle mobility is shit? Or my form in general?

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    mosssnack wrote: »
    I’ve been squatting in my running shoes mainly because I don’t really have anything else. I’ve gotten to the point that when I’m coming out of the hole on my heavier lifts, my left ankle likes to lift.

I feel like it’s time for me to throw down on some quality weightlifting shoes. Or my ankle mobility is shit? Or my form in general?

Yeah you need proper footwear to squat.

If you are worried about your form, post a video to the thread.

I keep telling people that so I should post a video to avoid looking like a hypocrite

This discussion has been closed.