As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Control] Origins is out NOW. Be sure to enjoy the sauce.

• Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    They don't.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    New DLC epilogue content coming for SCO

https://steamcommunity.com/games/starcontrolorigins/announcements/detail/1716331566372257258
    The story of Star Control: Origins continues next week with Earth Rising, a 4-part season pass that covers humanity's expansion into the galaxy.

The first part, Aftermath, will release on December 11, 2018. Earth Rising will add dozens of missions, new alien races, and a variety of ships.

As Captain of Earth's first interstellar starship, your primary mission is to ensure the safety of Earth from hostile alien forces through a combination of diplomacy and combat skill, while acquiring the materials and technologies Earth needs to begin growing beyond its home solar system.

In the first part, Aftermath, players discover that not every alien is happy about the prospect of an expanding human empire. There are unknown enemies lurking in the shadows seeking to undermine Earth's ambitions, while others begin to react to the recent successes of the Earth captain and his primitive ship.

While the expansion adds a great deal of content for those who have already completed the major events of Star Control: Origins, much of the new content greatly expands the richness of the Star Control universe for first-time players, including many new side-quests, new alien species, and new ships to recruit.

Star Control: Origins - Earth Rising is $19.99 with Part 1, Aftermath, available on December 11. Part 2 will be released this winter, Part 3 this spring and Part 4 this summer.

To learn more, visit https://www.starcontrol.com

Also 1.3 patch notes

https://steamcommunity.com/games/starcontrolorigins/announcements/detail/1717458101038525966
    Send in the Reinforcements!
    Stardock has released a new FREE DLC and v1.3 update for its space adventure game, Star Control: Origins. The DLC, Reinforcements, adds a dozen new ships to pilot in Star Control's combat mini-game, Fleet Battles.

Challenge your friends, annihilate your enemies (and your friends for that matter, you do you!), and climb in the ranks of online competitive play with diverse and exciting new ships.

Prepare for battle! Everyone will find something that suits their playstyle in this free DLC that almost doubles the amount of playable ships in the Fleet Battles mode for Star Control: Origins.

From the lithe Harmony Fighter and its long beam turrets all the way to the Vulzon Galley with its rows of powerful missiles, you’ll enjoy devising a wide range of new strategies for commanding and battling against these ships.

All of the new vessels have been carefully balanced and are available both in single and multiplayer matches of Fleet Battles. Challenge your friends online and see who can master these new ships and claim victory!

NEW in v1.3
    Accompanying the free DLC, v1.3 adds a few fun features to entice more exploration during the main game.

Highlights
    Uncover the rumors of a Scyve super weapon that can destroy planets, and seek it out before they can use it against you
    Evasive manuevers! Improved controls on the Vindicator make it feel more responsive to your inputs
    Investigate alien ruins and crashed spaceships to discover powerful new weapons for your ship
    Preapre to fire! Several new weapons have been added to the Crafting Menu, including the Frag Missile, Rapid Laser, Flame Thrower, and the Heavy Gatling Laser

Changelog Details
    Added option to disable AI fleet coordinator for fleet battles before a battle starts. You only get to pick once as after that things are all setup and there is no UI again.
    Added a "replay battle" option when you lose a campaign battle thus allowing you to continue the game without doing a reload. Also works if you surrender.
    Increased the deceleration of the Vindicator, making it more responsive and less drag.
    Increased the rotation speed of vindicator by 25% in Solar System/Hyperspace.
    Increased rotation speed of Vindicator (in combat) and the free pickup ships to make them feel more responsive.
    Added new weapons that can be found by investigating alien ruins and crashed spaceships throughout the galaxy
    Added new weapons to the Crafting Menu including the Frag Missile, Rapid Laser, Flame Thrower, the Heavy Gatling Laser, and more.
    Fix for a broken/crashed Jeff.
    Fix for a scripting bug with the Free Trandals where you could leave their initial conversation
    Added additional inventory popups when you get a Pink Lorris Egg.
    Adding a popup to notify the player their crew is replenished when they visit human colonies.
    Correcting typos
    Added more detailed Captain's Logs for new human colonies.
    Fixing a minor Objective bug for a Free Trandal quest.
    Reduced collision box of Harmony ship.
    Added hints of a Scryve super weapon that can shatter planets.

• BlandlytastefulBlandlytasteful Gruelmaster The Dark LunchroomRegistered User regular
    So, I haven't played any of these games, and sort of had my eye on Origins. Noticed that Origins was off of Steam and got sucked into the whole legal battle thing.

Wow.

So, Origins was good, you guys say? The Stardock humble bundle thats currently up has a coupon for 33% off of it, though it being pulled from gog and Steam make me think that that coupon might not be too useful in the near future. Also kind of concerned about any ability to continue whatever developing, bug fixing, dlc, etc. they might have planned on doing.

Should someone looking into these games at this point just hold off, maybe check out that fan thing? Ur-Quan Masters HD?

Steam: Blandlytasteful | XBL: Blandlytasteful | PSN: Blandlytasteful | 3DS: 3411-0354-2109
    steam_sig.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, I haven't played any of these games, and sort of had my eye on Origins. Noticed that Origins was off of Steam and got sucked into the whole legal battle thing.

Wow.

So, Origins was good, you guys say? The Stardock humble bundle thats currently up has a coupon for 33% off of it, though it being pulled from gog and Steam make me think that that coupon might not be too useful in the near future. Also kind of concerned about any ability to continue whatever developing, bug fixing, dlc, etc. they might have planned on doing.

Should someone looking into these games at this point just hold off, maybe check out that fan thing? Ur-Quan Masters HD?

To be fair, as of this posting, GOG still has it up (as does Humble Store, which is where the 33% coupon can be used).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Wow.

To be fair, as of this posting, GOG still has it up (as does Humble Store, which is where the 33% coupon can be used).

However comma
    Star Control®: Origins is provided via Steam key for Windows. For key redemption, a free Steam account is required.

Edit: Wait, would I still be able to redeem the key, and would Steam be able to revoke the game if the lawsuit goes that far?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited January 2019

Wow.

However comma
    Star Control®: Origins is provided via Steam key for Windows. For key redemption, a free Steam account is required.

Additional comma:

Steam only removed the game from the store. Key redemption will likely be unaffected.

EDIT - even better, Steam is still selling the DLCs.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |

Wow.

However comma

Additional comma:

Steam only removed the game from the store. Key redemption will likely be unaffected.

EDIT - even better, Steam is still selling the DLCs.

Cool.

In not cool news: I just realized the friggin thermostat has slowly crept it's way back up to 78 degrees, which (partially) explains why I have had an increasingly hard time thinking basic thoughts.

• BlandlytastefulBlandlytasteful Gruelmaster The Dark LunchroomRegistered User regular

Oh, right on, my mistake. Thought I saw that in one of the articles, but probably just got confused with 1, 2, and 3 getting pulled from Gog. And yeah, I think if you get a key it still works on steam, I was just wondering if Origins would get pulled from the humble store as well.

Steam: Blandlytasteful | XBL: Blandlytasteful | PSN: Blandlytasteful | 3DS: 3411-0354-2109
    steam_sig.png

Oh, right on, my mistake. Thought I saw that in one of the articles, but probably just got confused with 1, 2, and 3 getting pulled from Gog. And yeah, I think if you get a key it still works on steam, I was just wondering if Origins would get pulled from the humble store as well.

Probably as soon as they run out of keys.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Ur Quan Masters is great but be aware ots still very much an early 90s game, with all the shenanigans that implies.

An important quote about the case that bodes badly for Stardock - Judge Saundra Brown, on denying an injunction against DMCA use against SC:O :
    "As aptly observed by Defendants, 'Stardock announced the release date and launched its marketing campaign for Origins in June 2018--long after this case was at issue and Stardock was well aware of Reiche and Ford's allegation that Origins infringed upon their copyrighted work. Stardock could have suspended development, or at least postponed the marketing and release of Origins until this case resolves who owns the copyrights to the content at issue and whether Stardock's planned use of certain content infringes.

Instead, Stardock did nothing to avoid the purported risk of irreparable harm that it now bases its motion on, and Stardock announced the release of Origins in the middle of this case and ramped up it's spending.'

Plaintiff does not directly respond to this point.

Further scrutiny of its alleged harm supports Defendants' argument, however.

Plaintiff asserts that it stands to lose substantial monies spent on the development and marketing of Origins. Plaintiff was aware of Defendants' copyright claim to Star Control I and II since the development of Origins commenced, however, and was aware of the contours of the present copyright dispute since at least December 2017. Thus, whatever monies Plaintiff invested in Origins was done with the knowledge that serious copyright disputes were likely to arise or had arisen. Plaintiff further asserts that the release of Origins 'has been widely communicated to Stardock's customers, partners, and the press,' and that any disruption in its release will be injurious to Plaintiff's reputation. ...

Again, Plaintiff announced the release of Origins in June 2018, six months after this action commenced. Plaintiff thus invited reliance on its announcement regarding the release of Origins with knowledge of Defendants' claims.

In view of the foregoing, the harm Plaintiff complains of is indeed of its own making. Plaintiff had knowledge of Defendants' copyright claims from the outset. Despite this knowledge, it developed potentially infringing material without resolution of the IP ownership issues, and then publicized the release of that material during the pendency of this action. It now claims that its investment in Origins and reputation are on the line.

Given that the plaintiff largely created the forgoing predicament, the court is disinclined to extricate plantiff from a peril of it's own making.'

She accepts P+F's side of the story in important ways, and given that the contract that defined the disposition of SC was held to for 25+ years... Stardock doesn't really have any legs to stand on.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
    Yeah, so the judge ignored that the game was announced and it was being sold (In-Dev/Early Access) long before June 2018? Also ignoring that Stardock went about making SC:O as separate from the 'core' Star Control 2 storyline as they could to stay within their licensed limits of the franchise? That is pretty interesting, yes.

edited January 2019
    Official 'release date and launched its marketing campaign', do remember.

The stuff was in the air earlier, and Wardell ignored warnings that he was playing with fire and should have slowed down, like P+F did with GoTP; it's his own damn fault that he doubled down on something that would get DMCA'd.

Jeep-Eep on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Yeah, so the judge ignored that the game was announced and it was being sold (In-Dev/Early Access) long before June 2018? Also ignoring that Stardock went about making SC:O as separate from the 'core' Star Control 2 storyline as they could to stay within their licensed limits of the franchise? That is pretty interesting, yes.

None of the facts you bring up bear on the trademark license/infringement issue. She ignored those facts because they’re irrelevant.

fwKS7.png?1
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    This game will be rare now. I wish I got it.

Jeep-Eep wrote: »
    Official 'release date and launched its marketing campaign', do remember.

The stuff was in the air earlier, and Wardell ignored warnings that he was playing with fire and should have slowed down, like P+F did with GoTP; it's his own damn fault that he doubled down on something that would get DMCA'd.

Personally, that they were advertising it for Early Access/In-Dev means that they were marketing it before June 2018. I'm a little surprised I need to draw that connection, but here we are.

Doesn't change the fact that he was playing with fire, especially when he tried to copyright the original aliens.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I do not feel in the least bit sorry for that goose Wardell. I do feel bad for the talented developers he employs who have nothing to do with these decisions, though. (I find it hard to believe they're all 100% on board with the boss' antics.)

I wonder if any will be jumping ship rather than waiting to get pushed if indeed Stardock does decide it's going to need to start firing people. Enough to actually start up a rival studio? Who knows, it's happened before.

Jazz on
    Word of advice, that very silly goose is covered under The Glorious Edict, change it before you get slapped.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Whoops. Thanks, have done!

( :redface: )

Jazz on
    Ha, just got a Stardock newsletter e-mail that they're now pushing Steam keys for Star Control Origins for half off on the Stardock store. If nothing else I admire the gall.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    This whole thing annoys the shit out of me since Origins is a really good game. I really couldn’t care less about any of the creators/publishers on either side of the argument or lawsuit. If I have a side, it’s in favor of public consumption of media/art and to fix IP and copyright law which is the real villain here, IMO.

Donnicton wrote: »
    Ha, just got a Stardock newsletter e-mail that they're now pushing Steam keys for Star Control Origins for half off on the Stardock store. If nothing else I admire the gall.

This seems like a really bad idea unless they are convinced they are going to ultimately lose. I feel a judge would interpret this action negatively in context.

Or I guess if they are absolutely convinced they are going to win regardless of any actions they currently take, though it seems unlikely they are in that state of mind right now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Selling it on their site post legal whatsit has some bad optics, shame tho, I hear the game is quite good.

Drez wrote: »
    This whole thing annoys the shit out of me since Origins is a really good game. I really couldn’t care less about any of the creators/publishers on either side of the argument or lawsuit. If I have a side, it’s in favor of public consumption of media/art and to fix IP and copyright law which is the real villain here, IMO.

This seems like a really bad idea unless they are convinced they are going to ultimately lose. I feel a judge would interpret this action negatively in context.

Or I guess if they are absolutely convinced they are going to win regardless of any actions they currently take, though it seems unlikely they are in that state of mind right now.

They either have a really really good lawyer, or a really really bad one.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

The best lawyers cannot help a client that ignores counsel.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png

The judge didn't order them to halt sales, they denied an injunction to prevent the creators from issuing a DMCA takedown to Steam and GOG for Origins (which was just issued). They're probably fine.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

The best lawyers cannot help a client that ignores counsel.

It is also another data point for researchers who see sexual harassment complaints as a warning sign of other illegal or damaging behavior from employees (or CEOs).

Wait is that why people hate Brad? I have not dug into the negative opinions around him (other than the claims re: Star Control).

Wait is that why people hate Brad? I have not dug into the negative opinions around him (other than the claims re: Star Control).

There is a whole pile of things to dislike him for. But there is an employee who acccused him of harassment. His response was to sue her for.. stealing company stuff I think? There was a rather suspicious settlement.

If it's true that they're claiming copyright on gameplay concepts... that's some serious bullshit.

If it's true that they're claiming copyright on gameplay concepts... that's some serious bullshit.

Take anything Wardel writes with a large helping of salt. He lies, a lot.

edited January 2019
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Be that as it may, they're the one's saying it:
    We don’t claim to have a copyright on all interstellar travel, but we do have a copyright on the specific way we expressed interstellar travel in Star Control II.

https://www.dogarandkazon.com/blog/2019/1/2/injunction-junction-court-instruction

Another shitty result of this fight: I now feel torn between gameplay being legally acknowledged as art, and gameplay concepts being locked up for a hundred years.

(Edit: Though I still blame that philosophical dilemma entirely on the shitheels who wrote our copyright laws.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited January 2019
    It's actually a pretty strong case, from the existing precedent on clone games - any of the concepts, or gameplay loops or the like, alone, wouldn't be a case, but as a whole - aka, the way that stuff works - it's pretty compelling, especially given that Wardell only brought the SCIII stuff, not the actual Reiche IP. It's especially damning in the context that Wardell was trying, specifically, to make a 'SC Game.'

Edit: They are not claiming space games, they are showing that Wardell copied a lot of game-play and creative choices from SCII to a plagaristic degree.

A software dev guy explains why it's so compelling:

To quote them:
    It's clear to us that Stardock chose to make Origins substantially similar to SC2 instead of using the original material they purchased in SC3. We don't claim to have a copyright on all interstellar travel, but we do have a copyright on the specific way we expressed interstellar travel in Star Control II. We see many such examples in Star Control: Origins where its expression is substantially similar to and/or derivative of our copyright-protected work, without our permission.

There is a whole pile of things to dislike him for. But there is an employee who acccused him of harassment. His response was to sue her for.. stealing company stuff I think? There was a rather suspicious settlement.

Worth noting that very silly goose used the same tactics there.

Jeep-Eep on
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »
    It's actually a pretty strong case, from the existing precedent on clone games - any of the concepts, or gameplay loops or the like, alone, wouldn't be a case, but as a whole - aka, the way that stuff works - it's pretty compelling, especially given that Wardell only brought the SCIII stuff, not the actual Reiche IP. It's especially damning in the context that Wardell was trying, specifically, to make a 'SC Game.'

A software dev guy explains why it's so compelling:

Worth noting that very silly goose used the same tactics there.

I get the legal theory, I just don't care for what they're claiming as creative expressions in FTL travel.

Coordinates. Radar. Autopilot. "Hyperspace," the color red, "it's called Star Control and marketed to SC2 fans"

Fine. Yes SC:O is obviously meant to ape SC2. It still has two ears, two eyes, and looks like the Mona Lisa, but they didn't trace it, they drew an entitely new one and bought the name.

Hell, they programmed a new one. That's way harder. For me, the percentage of new creative decisions vs old ones seems to tip well in SC:O's favor here if you get into the nitty gritty of what they actually put into this game.

But again, if it was 1993 and it was called 'Space Adventure', then I'd being singing a different tune. I think this mostly irks me because it's been 25 years and they own the name, so if this where the bar is, then it will continue to be "not OK" in the year 2092; and that is very "not OK" with me.

I would like to reiterate that I'm just as annoyed that SD wants to quash the other game, which is basically making the same damned argument of "you can't make a SC2 clone in 2018 without our permission because Mickey Mouse"

Fuck that and fuck Mickey Mouse.

We don’t claim to have a copyright on all interstellar travel, but we do have a copyright on the specific way we expressed interstellar travel in Star Control II.

https://www.dogarandkazon.com/blog/2019/1/2/injunction-junction-court-instruction

Another shitty result of this fight: I now feel torn between gameplay being legally acknowledged as art, and gameplay concepts being locked up for a hundred years.

(Edit: Though I still blame that philosophical dilemma entirely on the shitheels who wrote our copyright laws.)

That's an interesting copyright hill to die on. I'm pretty sure Starflight and Starflight 2 would like to know more about how Star Control 2 has a lock on that particular expression of interstellar travel.

That's an interesting copyright hill to die on. I'm pretty sure Starflight and Starflight 2 would like to know more about how Star Control 2 has a lock on that particular expression of interstellar travel.

Seriously.

Also, someone should make a new Starflight.

Star Control 2 was something special. Something very special. And even though it is mired in legal disputes, I think Star Control: Origins is pretty damned amazing.

But I always considered Starflight to be similar but more complex/mature sprawling space adventure in the same vein. Star Control's roots were an arcade game. Starflight, though...

...I just really want a new Starflight.

Also a new Buck Rogers game. I never did beat Matrix Cubed, but still.

Also more Star Trek point-n-clicks like 25th Anniversary. I will never forgive the universe for two things: Secret of Vulcan Fury getting cancelled and Fox's John Doe getting cancelled.

Uhh, I guess I trailed off topic.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Seriously.

Star Control 2 was something special. Something very special. And even though it is mired in legal disputes, I think Star Control: Origins is pretty damned amazing.

But I always considered Starflight to be similar but more complex/mature sprawling space adventure in the same vein. Star Control's roots were an arcade game. Starflight, though...

Also more Star Trek point-n-clicks like 25th Anniversary. I will never forgive the universe for two things: Secret of Vulcan Fury getting cancelled and Fox's John Doe getting cancelled.

The first Mass Effect also takes a whole lot of inspiration from Starflight.

Seriously.

The first Mass Effect also takes a whole lot of inspiration from Starflight.

Really? I did not know this.

Seriously.

There was a crowdfunding campaign for Starflight 3. Even though they were down in the funding and I desperately wanted it to succeed (while not spending beyond my current environmental scientist means), I wasn't going to start advertising it here and risk the ire of the mods.

They got halfway to reaching their funding goal...but couldn't make it (they even appealed to Elon Musk saying that if he backed it the rest of the way across the finish line, they'd add a new alien race named the "Elons").