As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] End of an Era

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Valve News Network youtube channel has talked about Half Life VR as likely being a prequel rather than HL3 or Episode 3.

I believe it was a mix of speculation and bits of datamined stuff. Obviously we'll know more when Valve decides to actually say something, but that's what I recall him talking about previously.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not much more than a Lost Coast style mini game.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not much more than a Lost Coast style mini game.

Or like something like The Lab.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    They've confirmed all the VR games they're working on are full-on games much larger than The Lab.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Since this is the closest thing we have to a Valve thread: looks like their card game is a flop.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Since this is the closest thing we have to a Valve thread: looks like their card game is a flop.

They may be forced to switch to free to play if they want the game to actually get players. The whole paying real money for a starter pack and buying random boosters has only ever worked long term for Magic: The Gathering, and people still scoffed at that idea for Magic Online. MO never caught on quite like the physical card game, or various free to play digital competitors(I don't know how well their own later attempts at F2P games have done, would be interesting to compare Magic Online vs MTG Arena). Expectations are much different in the digital space where you aren't buying a tangible item.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    This feels like a real Scrolls situation.

If you're saying to yourself "Scrolls, what's that?" well, fucking exactly.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    This feels like a real Scrolls situation.

If you're saying to yourself "Scrolls, what's that?" well, fucking exactly.

I honestly never played it, so the only thing I remember about Scrolls was Bethesda suing them over the name because reasons.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »

They may be forced to switch to free to play if they want the game to actually get players. The whole paying real money for a starter pack and buying random boosters has only ever worked long term for Magic: The Gathering, and people still scoffed at that idea for Magic Online. MO never caught on quite like the physical card game, or various free to play digital competitors(I don't know how well their own later attempts at F2P games have done, would be interesting to compare Magic Online vs MTG Arena). Expectations are much different in the digital space where you aren't buying a tangible item.

When your original selling point is "your cards will have 'real value' because it's just like paper MTG!" it's really goddamned hard to go "wait no nevermind fuck all that". What few players they've retained will riot.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Wait wait wait wait. Wait. The game was never free-to-play? Valve made a casual, quick-play game and they completely fucked up the key selling point of these types of games?

...well, of course they did. Valve, you rascally scamps.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Wait wait wait wait. Wait. The game was never free-to-play? Valve made a casual, quick-play game and they completely fucked up the key selling point of these types of games?

...well, of course they did. Valve, you rascally scamps.

If I were to describe Artifact, casual or quick-play are not terms that would come to mind.

• Options
  • Options
    NPb9Ib8.png

Uncorroborated, of course.

Heh, 2024 would just be the most ridiculous release date. 20 years after HL2.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Turned out to be a fake email.

• Options
    Of course.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I mean, it's not likely Gabe would have been telling the truth anyway.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    BLACK MESA: CLASSIC. An official demake of Black Mesa: Source
    About:
    Black Mesa: Classic is an official demake of Black Mesa: Source, aiming to recreate the look and feel of Black Mesa: Source inside the Goldsrc engine. Our aim is to make the equivalent of a next-gen Half-Life while keeping in the Goldsrc engine, limitations and all. The Halfbar Collective are porting gameplay features from Black Mesa: Source, improving NPC AI, improving/remaking textures, and making maps, models and FGDs to create the ultimate Half-Life experience.

Features:

All of Black Mesa: Source's maps recreated in Goldsrc, while retaining all the original details and layouts.

All-new high poly count models and props created for the mod.

Completely reworked code for all new features and additions.

The internet is a WEIRD place.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/bm-classic

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    What if, instead, someone used the Black Mesa assets to create an accurate remake of Half-Life?

• Options
    So, awhile back when Valve was pushing their "steampipe" content delivery system, they went through and updated a bunch of their old games to work on linux, posting their progress via GitHub. However, there was a bug in the Linux version of Opposing Force that made the game literally unbeateable (You would never get teleported to the end map after defeating the boss)

They couldn't track down the problem and it still wasn't fixed in 2013 when Valve moved on from the program.

In 2016, some enterprising gentlemen literally reversed engineered the code to figure out the problem and how to fix it, posting the literal code to GitHub.

Just recently, three years later, Valve FINALLY has updated Op4 with this fix. Only it turns out the dude who wrote the fix swapped two variables so it STILL doesn't work.

Curious if we won't see a fix until 2022 at this rate. :razz:

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Recommend Subject-@Stormwatcher be disabled and transported aboard as cargo.
    Warned @Stormwatcher (0 points for 1 week) for "Kicked from thread: Not welcome"

• Options
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    LOL, I do not remember nailing boards down...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Team of Redditors making Episode 3 in Unreal based on the leaked script from the HL2 writer.

https://youtu.be/54bpxhCEwDQ

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    What? What am I missing here?

• Options
    Zerocz wrote: »
    What? What am I missing here?

It's a incredibly minor update 12 years after the fact.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Weird, HL2 on steam just had a "loop video test" event.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Stop it. You're getting my hopes up that Valve might do something.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    HL THREAD UPDATED?!?

Oh... it's more nonsense.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Let's not forget the hero of these patch notes

NPCs can blink now

thank fuck

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Let's not forget the hero of these patch notes

NPCs can blink now

thank fuck
    Not as creepy as the bug a while back where their mouths never opened. So they were moving around, and gesturing, and having facial expressions while clearly having a conversation with you, but their mouths never opened and their voice files never played.

sig.gif
  • Options
    And now there's a new patch for HL1 era games...
    Fixed setting monitor refresh rates through -freq when used with -nofbo
    Fixed unnecessary texture rescaling with NPOT textures
    Fixed slist command, will now show servers on the local network
    Fixed erroneous return in SV_ClipToLinks (HL #1685)
    Fixed inability to reload a partially empty weapon after reloading a save game
    Fixed MP5 spread factor, multiplayer factor was being used for single player and single player for multiplayer
    Fixed progress bar for individual files in resource download always showing at 100%
    Added auto-saving of several cvars (HL #2237)
    Fixed missing localizations in spectator UI
    Fixed NPC turn rate when running at >60FPS
    Reordered columns in server browser to prevent game descriptions from being used to fake server player count
    Fixed sv_cheats from being settable by players in a multiplayer game (sv_cheats is controllable by the server)
    Added cl_autowepswitch cvar with values 0/1 to disable/enable auto weapon switching when a new weapon is picked up
    Fix various weapon animation/sound issues
    Security fixes to console commands
    Security fixes to resource loading
    Security fixes to saving/loading

What is going on?

Also, somebody stole like $40,000 worth of shit from Valve.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    For the patches, I'd expect more that it's just training new employees or something over anything else. What better way to familiarize new workers with how dispensing updates works than having them roll out ancient updates for ancient games?