As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    man, Red Zone is a classic I hadn't thought about in forever

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    My seven-year-old triumphed over Zorah Magdaros and has graduated to High Rank! He also learned the lance in order to take on Diablos.

Proud of my Little Hunter!

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Lance is king :D

Turns out Large crown black diablos does, in fact, exist. I may have jumped the gun a little early calling conspiracy. Have to make amends to the commander. Actually got it when I was farming up more diablos tracks in a mission I thought would be a throw away mission that I was using for farming. I measured myself up against black diablos and it turns out he was a contender, so took a chance and yes, yes he was.

If I see a monster that looks large, or small enough to my eyes, I've been using this guys videos to help determine if the monster in question is a contender.

Now to spend today getting either Kirin large/small or nerg small.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Why do you want large/small monsters, does the size actually do something?

Crippl3 wrote: »

Only for achievements. There's in game medals, and playstation and, I assume, steam achievements tied to it. I want my platinum trophy on PS4!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Pretty much. I want to say its related to the random HP of a monster?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

No, they're unrelated. Size only affects hitboxes.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

*smiles lovingly*

J3qcnBP.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Mounting a tiny Kulu-Ya-Ku during the event was the best, like riding a puppy.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Are you sure? I could have sworn bigger monsters tend to hit incrementally harder and have more HP, while tiny ones are squishier...

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Are you sure? I could have sworn bigger monsters tend to hit incrementally harder and have more HP, while tiny ones are squishier...

Yeah, this has been datamined, it's all on Kiranico. Stat multipliers are set per quest, size is rolled randomly.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Started playing again on PC and knowing the low rank monsters well enough already to easily counter-slash them with longsword is just sooo satisfying.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Its amazing the difference you can do even with starting weapons. I was able to down an anjanath while hunting for the great jagras. The first time I played I had much higher (Comparatively) gear and still got fucking demolished by angie. Knowledge really is power.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Its amazing the difference you can do even with starting weapons. I was able to down an anjanath while hunting for the great jagras. The first time I played I had much higher (Comparatively) gear and still got fucking demolished by angie. Knowledge really is power.

Yeah, every little weapon step-up is massive in the early game if you have knowledge. I dismantled Rathalos and then dunked 'em with the waterfall for style.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Wait wait wait hold the goddamn phone.

The bow autotargets if you don't use the right stick?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Wait wait wait hold the goddamn phone.

The bow autotargets if you don't use the right stick?

It just shoots straight ahead and level, more or less.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it auto targets if you dodge dance or whatever its called, but only on the first shot after doing it

camo_sig.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Finally finished up all the optional quests, and now know how to get upgrades to the lunastra weapons. Didn't expect the entire Commission to do this:

mts wrote: »
    it auto targets if you dodge dance or whatever its called, but only on the first shot after doing it

I was looking for videos for a friend who has started playing recently and it looks like it tracks for multiple shots, not just the first.

https://youtu.be/oTPdwVu9u6k?t=368

Six minutes in.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    The bow fires where you were previously aiming if you fire without re-aiming after dodging

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    PC is getting extremoth on the 18th

they grow up so fast

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Holy shit, managed to do my first arch tempered Teostra. Which is hilarious, because aside from the mandatory Kirin fight, I haven't done any of the tempered elder dragons.

Now I have to do it again for the layered armour.... bleh

Kelor wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

I was looking for videos for a friend who has started playing recently and it looks like it tracks for multiple shots, not just the first.

https://youtu.be/oTPdwVu9u6k?t=368

Six minutes in.

right, its the first shot after dodging, he is doing multiple dodges after each shot.

camo_sig.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Hello thread!

I got MonHun Generations Ultimate for a holiday gift, and I gave it a go and bounced off it hard - didn't know what I was doing, ended up in a hunt without a clear objective and got wiped out by some Dino who bounces on their tail.

Is there any recommendations for how to best start the game without it becoming confusing and overwhelming? Best first few missions, etc?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Hello thread!

I got MonHun Generations Ultimate for a holiday gift, and I gave it a go and bounced off it hard - didn't know what I was doing, ended up in a hunt without a clear objective and got wiped out by some Dino who bounces on their tail.

Is there any recommendations for how to best start the game without it becoming confusing and overwhelming? Best first few missions, etc?

I haven't played Generations Ultimate, but in general:
    • Pick a weapon and learn how to use it. Gaijin Hunter's tutorials are good.
    • When you first encounter a new big monster, it can be super helpful to just dance with it for a little bit without trying to do any serious damage to it. Monsters are much easier to fight when you've learned their patterns.
    • Eating before leaving on a hunt can be very useful.
    • Egg carrying quests are awful.
    • Harvest tours are a good way low-pressure to familiarize yourself with an area before having to fight in it. Also they're boring. But useful!
    • There are a ton of systems that the game does a poor job of explaining. Don't be afraid to google stuff if you don't understand how something works.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hello thread!

First step is to take it slow. Generations (Ultimate) is not as friendly to new players as it could/should be. "Confusing and overwhelming" sounds about right, especially if you're coming in completely fresh-faced. It's going to take a bit of effort to get over that initial hump.

Since there are no hunting missions in the 1-star group I'm going to assume that you ran into the Great Maccao somewhere in the training missions. Were you trying the generic slaying/capturing training or were you going through weapon training? I'd recommend the weapon training to get a feel for how the various weapons play out (and how they might change with different styles); try them on Guild Style first to see if anything clicks, then explore other styles within your favorite(s) to see if those feel better. There's a ton of reading here; it's almost like studying for an exam (and the Master of Style even says as much).

The main thing is to not get frustrated. Great Maccao is... not a great training monster, but it's all you have. The one in the weapon training isn't going to attack you a bunch, but when it bounces on its tail you probably shouldn't be in front of it. Other than that, keep focused and keep hitting it when the opportunity presents itself.

On that subject, camera control. I'm sure one of the training missions will tell you about this, but the weapon ones don't. Once a large monster has seen you, an icon in the upper right corner will light up. If you hit ZL you will "lock on" to that monster (the icon will change); in this state, any time you hit the L button the camera will center itself behind you, facing the monster. You can still adjust it with the right stick but that's what you'll be doing most of the time. If you hit L without being locked on the camera will just swing to behind whichever way you're currently facing.

You got this, if you want it.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Hello thread!

Seconding everything Vyolynce said. Monster Hunter has long had HUGE issues with introducing people, and frankly Generations is one of the worst - It was very much designed as a "Monster Hunter's greatest hits" sort of thing, or at least feels like that, and aimed at existing vets. Resultingly, it's really not a great newbie expreince - and more's the shame.

So! Don't feel bad. You will get used to it, slowly and surely - it's a very rewarding series to get into. (I can also happily recommend MH World on your choice of PC/Xbox/PS4, though it is worth noting that you may find it hard to go back to Generations due to it's immense amount of qol features. It also rolls a lot of the changes stlyes make int othe base weapons, which is generally great, but a bit confusing if you're used to styles).

One more midgame tip - Dont be afraid to go back and try out other styles for your favourite weapon. To give an example - Dualies are my favourite. Early on, Aerial style is real good. Later on though, Adept becomes my goto. Why? Adept relies around dodging INTO attacks to trigger a super-dodge and follow up options from this. But early monsters (like Great Maccao, everyone's favourite hoppy boxing dino) are so small, and so not aggressive (relative to later monsters) that it's hard to trigger reliably.

But you'll get there! We believe in you! And if you die screaming, then dont worry.

It happens to all of us

(and in multiplayer, you might even get helped to die screaming. I'm pretty sure i got people killed repeatedly back in generations on the 3DS. I'm still not sorry).

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone! I'll dig in more tonight

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone! I'll dig in more tonight

And feel free to join our Discord channel and play with us. A lot of us don't mind playing the lower level stuff to get you up to higher ranks. However as a brand new player it'll be good to take your time and move up the ranks.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      edited January 2019
      Beat Sapphire Star's Guidance today with Gunlance after finally getting some lance stream stones off Teostra.

I just got my new computer last week and can actually look at him now, where doing so on my old one put all kinds of hurt on it.

4msaeb5dilaf.jpg

And also got a pretty great Kushala one as well.
      v3ozx77duvtz.jpg

Kelor on
      is he dabbing in that last one?

Haven't really hunted much since christmas. We got my son Breath of the wild and that has kind of sucked me in.

its funny though, playing on the switch messed up my control scheme for the xbox controller. Something about how the buttons are assigned in zelda was conflicting with my MHW ones. I had to switch things around since MHW felt wrong.

camo_sig.png
    • RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
      Came back to PC after being mia since bfv came out. Man there really isn't much to do when a festival isn't on. kind of need ppl to play with again during late est times.

• RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
      Came back to PC after being mia since bfv came out. Man there really isn't much to do when a festival isn't on. kind of need ppl to play with again during late est times.

Rakeeth wrote: »

That's when I was playing before, Zelda.

camo_sig.png
    • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
      Hey gang, just getting back in to mhw on the PC. Is there an updated guide to weapons and builds? Everything I've watched before like Gaijin Hunter seems to have stopped doing MHW videos.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      Finished up AT Teostra on PC, the damage boost from AT really highlights the BS moves some of these monsters have.
      "Oh, you're standing next to me while I bound away? Here, eat more damage than you get from eating one of my actual attacks"

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
      Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
      One day we will get vectored hitboxes in MH.

DanHibiki wrote: »
      Hey gang, just getting back in to mhw on the PC. Is there an updated guide to weapons and builds? Everything I've watched before like Gaijin Hunter seems to have stopped doing MHW videos.

I like Arrekz's videos. he has a whole series weapons

camo_sig.png
      NEO|Phyte wrote: »
      Finished up AT Teostra on PC, the damage boost from AT really highlights the BS moves some of these monsters have.
      "Oh, you're standing next to me while I bound away? Here, eat more damage than you get from eating one of my actual attacks"

trample has always been the strongest attack.

edited January 2019
      Finally got my damn Kirin crowns. Before the ordeal, I had a grand total of 15 kirin kills (can you tell he was my least fav elder dragon to fight?).

I'm now up to 76 kills, meaning it only took 61 kills to get both my crowns. Ugh. Anyway, I suspect I could have done this a lot earlier if I hadn't died during what I believe would have been a large crown back in the 30ish range.

Only Large Vaal and Tiny Nerg left. Is that a light at the end of the tunnel I see?

edit: Larve Vaal get!!

Klatu on