As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but George Pell was removed from the Pope's advisory council the other day, as was reported by all the media.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think it's fairly reasonable to treat each set of crimes individually. If the jury knows that someone did a similar crime (or even a completely different crime) then they will be biased against the defendant. And it degrades the idea of innocent until proven guilty.

yeah, i get why that second sentence is treated the way it is, but it's still a weird legal fiction

like a lot of law, it sort of makes sense from the law's own internal logic that's been growing in weird ways for centuries

but it's still a kinda unwieldy idea when you think about it

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    it's the common law

got some good ideas, and sorta works a bit of the time

bit shakey when you look at it at certain points

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I think it's fairly reasonable to treat each set of crimes individually. If the jury knows that someone did a similar crime (or even a completely different crime) then they will be biased against the defendant. And it degrades the idea of innocent until proven guilty.

yeah, i get why that second sentence is treated the way it is, but it's still a weird legal fiction

like a lot of law, it sort of makes sense from the law's own internal logic that's been growing in weird ways for centuries

but it's still a kinda unwieldy idea when you think about it

Especially when we have things like three strikes for shoplifting. George Pell deserves not to have his career-spanning sexual assaults coverup debacle referenced in his next trial about his career-spanning sexual assaults debacle, but some Aboriginal kid definitely deserves jail time no matter what if they get caught shoplifting three times, based on them having done it twice before.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    But they still wouldn't bring it up in court. The police can't just point at the defendant and say "they've been caught shoplifting twice already." It'd make it ridiculously easy to secure a conviction. The three strikes rule, while awful, affects sentencing, not the trial itself.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    1ukkv2ay3dov.png

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Hey all.

Have a very merry time celebrating with friends and loved ones, if you celebrate, and look after yourselves. Wishing each and every one of you nothing but the absolute best for 2019 and beyond. My door is always open.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My plane took off one hour late from LA, somehow managed to land two hours late, and we have just spent ... 45 minutes on the tarmac "waiting for a gate to open up"

I have already had to change my bus booking three times while I sit here, and since we didn't touch down until twenty minutes before the first one I booked left, I missed the change window and had to pay for a whole new ticket. Someone owes me forty bucks. Maybe God.

Edit: oh apparently there's an "IT issue" with the plane at our gate and nobody knows when it's gonna be fixed. Awesome.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Has anyone leapt up and yelled "Excuse me? Excuse me! Have they tried turning it off and on again?" much to the delight and merriment of the other passengers?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I knew it was a bad sign when we landed from the city side and not the harbour side. Flying over mascot is the equivalent of walking under eight hundred ladders.

Edit: plane! Is! Moving! After fifty-five minutes

I don't think anyone is feeling sufficiently witty to reference the it crowd. Some people may actually be dead.

tynic on
  • Options
    It's a shame that no one has invented some sort of zig-zag'd platform that could be put up at an angle to the side of the plane, from the ground to just under the door, that might let passengers alight the plane. Perhaps some sort of large, box shaped conveyance to ferry people to the terminal could then be deployed to ease the burden of the walk, and keep people from wandering into places they shouldn't go.

Ahh well, there was certainly no possible alternative to sitting around for an hour.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Now there's a problem unloading the bags. Because of course.

Fruit and veg inspector is giving the third degree to some bros

Edit: shes hardcore. To the guy behind me: "you've got researcher as occupation? What kind of research, then?" "Medical" "so, not, like ... Botany? " "No." "'Researcher' is pretty vague, you know."

I offered to show her my card, which also says researcher. She is not amused.

tynic on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Now there's a problem unloading the bags. Because of course.

Fruit and veg inspector is giving the third degree to some bros

Edit: shes hardcore. To the guy behind me: "you've got researcher as occupation? What kind of research, then?" "Medical" "so, not, like ... Botany? " "No." "'Researcher' is pretty vague, you know."

I offered to show her my card, which also says researcher. She is not amused.

Are we in the middle of a spate of illicit fruit and veg importing? I'm all for strong customs enforcement, what with the flora/fauna sitch here, but that seems a but much.

• Options
    aren't we always? I think they've replaced the sniffer dogs with small tenacious blonde ladies.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Happy Paul Kelly Royalties day.

https://youtu.be/uoJxigEuVC4

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    i already have a favourite news story for this whole year

• Options
    I'm sad my second throat-spider story has been lost to the mists of the holiday forum

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I'm more than happy to let most small-ish spiders stay in my house and deter all the other bugs; larger hunstmans get relocated outside.

But white tails. Fuck white tails.

Yes, I realise that not removing the other spiders is what attracts the white tails...

• Options
    I tolerate the white-tail risk in exchange for the mosquito reduction provided by daddy-long-legs. It's one of those lifestyle tradeoffs.

• Options
    Little jumping spiders are just so damn cute too.

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    We have very different definitions of ‘cute’

• Options
    original-9634-1406834323-10.jpg?downsize=700:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

He has a water droplet for a hat!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    To her credit, that's a better accent than most actors do.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Man, I really hope she commits to the bit for the long haul

• Options
    Also she never said that she's aussie, just that the accent is and that she hopes he likes it. So, she's technically not lying.. but she's still gonna get booted as soon as she drops it.

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    original-9634-1406834323-10.jpg?downsize=700:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

He has a water droplet for a hat!

Nooooooooo.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Also she never said that she's aussie, just that the accent is and that she hopes he likes it. So, she's technically not lying.. but she's still gonna get booted as soon as she drops it.
    the accent she is using is not Aussie, I should know... being fluent in upsidedown speak. so she is back to lying.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Oh, we got a genuine dinky di battler in here? Us poseurs should probably get out ...

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    What accent is it

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh, we got a genuine dinky di battler in here? Us poseurs should probably get out ...

Strewth, we've been found out! This fair dinkum cobber will give us all the boot.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    the accent she is using is not Aussie, I should know... being fluent in upsidedown speak. so she is back to lying.
    What does a real Australian accent sound like?

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Viking wrote: »
    What does a real Australian accent sound like?

You've seen Pacific Rim, right? Chuck and Herc, two of the least Australian names I can think of off the top of my head. Perfect accents, though!

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I found my copy of 'Australian Language & Culture' that my wife slapped me for getting a few years back.

Time to start sounding more like a galah.

工事中
  • Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    I found my copy of 'Australian Language & Culture' that my wife slapped me for getting a few years back.

Time to start sounding more like a galah.

You bloody beauty!

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I mean, I am not expecting full Alf Stewart here, but until she said which accent she was going for I had no idea.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    From her first sentence, I actually thought she was Australian.

She’s not quite spot on, but it’s definitely around the right ballpark, and a lot closer than a lot of fake ‘strayan accents get.

• Options
    Needs more unnecessary swearing. Completely unbelievable.

• Options
    From her first sentence, I actually thought she was Australian.

She’s not quite spot on, but it’s definitely around the right ballpark, and a lot closer than a lot of fake ‘strayan accents get.

It's more than good enough for american TV, and that's really all that it needs to be.

This discussion has been closed.