As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• W2W2 Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    JustTee wrote: »
    W2 wrote: »
    Keenbean's a hard one to follow, but I have some time off work over December/January, so I thought I'd share the Reiver I've been working on:

Looking at the photos I see some stuff I could touch up (and some mould lines I've missed, yikes) but I have to learn when to decide that something is good enough, or I'll never finish anything.

You see a mini with things you could touch up, and I see damn near perfection. It's funny how this hobby has basically never ending depths. It's helpful to remind oneself of progress whenever you can.

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. :)

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I've got my Knight primed. It's a good prime job, nice and smooth...except a couple of pieces, somehow, have gotten particles of...something under the primer. What's the best way to fix this before I apply paint? I was thinking of sanding the texture off and then re-priming the pieces, but I figure I might not get an even coat that way? Should I completely strip them and start over? Unfortunately it's on some really smooth parts and will be super noticable once it's painted. I cleaned all the pieces and made sure they were dust/particle free before I started priming, but somehow something got on them.
    I'd just sand it down lightly. Stripping the whole thing seems like you're making extra work rather than just fixing the problem. As long as you're diligent with your application (only going where you need to go) your coats should be quite even enough.
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Jandaru wrote: »
    So after I'd already done a bunch of priming in black, I bought some white spray primer.
    I gave a couple of black minis a quick one-direction spray from the white can, not covering all angles for a sneaky shadow shortcut (see the elf on the right in the pic)
    Is this something that's going to have any influence on the later coats?

It will, this is what people are referring too when you read about Zenithal Highlighting.
    I think the better answer is "It can, depending on how you paint it."
    If you use thick paint you run a risk of just straight covering the undertones. Multiple coats of thinned paint can also do so. There's sort of a balance to find in your paint properties, but the best way is to just experiment a bit and also not start by gooping a bunch on. :P

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Purple
    Zenithal is specifically a dark undercoat, a light directional spray, and then a series of washes, right? You very deliberately only wash to keep the directional light.

What is this I don't even.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Keenbean's a hard one to follow, but I have some time off work over December/January, so I thought I'd share the Reiver I've been working on:

3z86ifo26t16.jpg

Looking at the photos I see some stuff I could touch up (and some mould lines I've missed, yikes) but I have to learn when to decide that something is good enough, or I'll never finish anything.

Now I know know what my Reivers will look like. Those are nice.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Badger is having a sale on their airbrushes today. $55 for any of their airbrushes, including the Sotar 20/20, Krome, and Patriot 105 Xtreme. Details can be found on their facebook page.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Badger is having a sale on their airbrushes today. $55 for any of their airbrushes, including the Sotar 20/20, Krome, and Patriot 105 Xtreme. Details can be found on their facebook page.

So what im looking at here is buying an airbrush because it's a good deal and then sitting on it for 6 months until a good compressor goes on sale.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Heh. With all this talk about compressors, I think I may buy a new one with all the bells and whistles, and a little more than 20 psi.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So should I get the Patriot 105 regular or the Extreme?

Edit: Ended up ordering an Extreme. With shipping and handling the regular 105 wasn't any cheaper than buying on prime.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ho ho ho, now I have a 3D printer!

This is actually pretty darn good quality for an entry-level printer. Printed the test model that came on the SD card it came with, it's about 3" high.

53Pkp28.jpg

• It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    Purple
    Here's a trio of Space Wolves I painted for a friend as a Christmas gift. I didn't paint any insignia on since he is starting his Kill Team and still hasn't decided where to go with that.

slvaz1x3i05z.jpg

The slowest painter. Ever.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Purple
    I have continued to paint my Deathwatch. Not sure how I want to base them yet though so I haven't based them. I was going to do mud and plants but maybe something else? Gray gravel might work.

fUaj5RKl.jpg

Also White Scar shoulder pads suck when your base color is black.

VS2fDayl.jpg

MULNx3gl.jpg

3Or7nM6l.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular

@W2 looking at the photos, the only thing I would add is blacklining on the boots. Working on it more would likely add distractions from an otherwise perfect table-top model. :+1:

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Purple
    Working on my deathwatch means I'll have to learn how to paint faces, so I primed that chunk of veteran sprue that has like 8 heads on it to do some test paints.

First two faces I've ever painted

Jesus christ are these ever difficult to get right, especially the eyes... I think I need a smaller brush.

kt0ii2ux4qo0.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »
    Working on my deathwatch means I'll have to learn how to paint faces, so I primed that chunk of veteran sprue that has like 8 heads on it to do some test paints.

Jesus christ are these ever difficult to get right, especially the eyes... I think I need a smaller brush.

kt0ii2ux4qo0.jpg

When I realized most of these guys were squinting, and I could get away with just blacklining the eyes with a wash, it made a world of difference.

16koFwX.jpg
    KRg7YyB.jpg

In other words, I'm not the best at faces either.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    What material did you use for the snow/tile/stone on those bases in the last photo?

Just for kicks I tried printing a 15mm dude. The base is 15mm wide, the chest is ~17mm.

xtjpo4cech4u.png

edited January 2019
    Purple
    Renzo wrote: »
    What material did you use for the snow/tile/stone on those bases in the last photo?

Dragon Forge bases.

It's supposed to be marble, but I can't paint stone to save my life.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple

Dragon Forge bases.

The grey marble bits on those shields says otherwise.

RE: eyes - unless you're entering a competition or just hate yourself, don't bother. Not one but you will notice or care unless you point it out to them so they do notice (they still won't care because people are monsters). It's infuriating.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Purple

kt0ii2ux4qo0.jpg

When I realized most of these guys were squinting, and I could get away with just blacklining the eyes with a wash, it made a world of difference.

Dragon Forge bases.

RE: eyes - unless you're entering a competition or just hate yourself, don't bother. Not one but you will notice or care unless you point it out to them so they do notice (they still won't care because people are monsters). It's infuriating.

So is that the quick and dirty method for eyes then? Just a dab of nuln oil under their browline?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple

kt0ii2ux4qo0.jpg

Dragon Forge bases.

So is that the quick and dirty method for eyes then? Just a dab of nuln oil under their browline?

kt0ii2ux4qo0.jpg

Dragon Forge bases.

I'll say this...

My squinty marines look so much better than my older googly eyed IG.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I'm starting a Seraphon/Lizardmen army!

Going a bit different with my scheme. Bright/light colours on my basic dudes. I'll go more 'traditional' on the bigger beasts.

fJtAsQC.jpg?1

I spent a bunch of time working on this yesterday:

RUwLulm.jpg?1

I had him given to me as a gift 10+ years ago. It was in rough shape and sat in a bag in my drawer until last week. This is how he started:

JF1rBq7.jpg?1

I really have a soft spot for this old goofy model (and new Slann are expensive) so I spent some time last week stripping and cleaning the parts.

qpMPX5N.jpg?1

At first I was going to rebuild the whole thing, old Saurus and all. I ran into a few problems though and figured I kind of wanted him to look more like the current Slaan. Having him hover solves the "how does he fly" issue I had but he needed a new platform to make it really work. I wanted to save as much as the original model as possible but I didn't want to sculpt stone carvings so I ended up using some balsa wood. I still added some stone bits I had leftover from other as decorations to complete the look. The little new stone bits at the back and front kind of hint at an underlying structure I think.

7x0bkeZ.jpg?2xHeujUf.jpg?1ENs4KOu.jpg?2

The base is fully magnetized too. Just a few rare earth magnets mounted inside an old square base with a piece of plasticard covering it.

asMoznh.jpg?3

Sharp101 on
    Purple
    Looking to grab an ultrasonic cleaner to strip some secondhand plastic minis I have

Can I just grab any old $30 beater on ebay and get the same results as a higher end one for a handful of plastic 'gaunts? The product range on amazon goes up into the hundreds.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I painted the Avatar! (and friends)

2g539ngj7ta7.jpg

Did you know there's a Legend of Korra pro-bending board game? I didn't till someone bought me a copy for xmas, it's quite a fun little two-player tactics thing, but I felt a need to slap some quick paint on the included models. Not my best work, I don't really know how often I'll get chance to play it, but they were pretty decent minis for a board game.

2yb5e83d3cmw.jpg
    jtvq5waukjj8.jpg

That's two of three parts for the purple worm done.

Jv0K2o5.jpg

Purple
    Test face number three

Went much simpler this time... bugmans glow, tried a purple wash, then a layer of cadian fleshtone with a couple of tiny kislev flesh highlights.

Then a dap of nuln oil under the brows... Squinty marine is a go

kqvqpz25g5ks.jpg
    d3mevtmqve8g.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    This is a thing I stumbled upon that feels like it should live in the OP of every P&M thread going forward ...
    One hell of a comprehensive paint conversion chart.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    This is a thing I stumbled upon that feels like it should live in the OP of every P&M thread going forward ...
    One hell of a comprehensive paint conversion chart.

For some reason that shows OLD citadel/coat de' arms Warlock Purple as a blood red, so take that with a grain of salt like every other conversion chart. :(

akirasig.jpg
    edited January 2019
    Purple
    I keep reading about OSL (zenithal?) effect on armor. To do a super basic effect like that on Deathwatch (assuming they're just primed black at the moment), would you just hit them with an airbrush from above with a super dark grey to get a bit of an overhead light effect?

I'm looking at super basic starter grade technique here, but I'm a bit lost on how to start with black being the base.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    xws3464sudj6.jpg

Taking their son to the zoo.

W2 on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    All I see is a shot of the little guy hanging on a fence that has a sign saying 'parks closed due to govt shutdown' and a caption of "how do you explain this to them?"

steam_sig.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i had a realization

if i just painted my poxwalkers a large portion of my army would be painted

so i am going to do that

edited January 2019
    Progress update! Hopefully I can get close to finishing him today. Then I can throw him in the Light Box and get a better not-grainy photo :biggrin:

nLpXzIO.jpg?2

Sharp101 on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    He looks like a Simpsons character. I love it.
    You have to have his eyes pointing in different directions.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited January 2019
    McGibs wrote: »
    He looks like a Simpsons character. I love it.
    You have to have his eyes pointing in different directions.

I was worried about making him look too 'weird' but after looking into it, man... real frogs are weird.

I found this when looking at eye reference photos. Look at these weird fucking things:

cT9B7zD.jpg?1

Sharp101 on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I'm rather partial to the second from the right on the bottom, as "high as Fuck, eye of Sauron". Contrasted with the normal one far right, second from top.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Pupil shape: middle row, far left
    Color: either 2nd row middle or bottom row middle

Cracking up at "high as fuck Eye of Sauron" btw

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Guys! Guys! What if the ring is the lord of ... me?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    I made made a bunch of Primaris Reivers but didn't attach their Grav-Chutes. The chutes themselves are too small to drill into with magnets (and that's a lot of work), and I don't want to permanently glue them as they seem very fiddly and vulnerable to snapping off. I wonder if I could use a non-permanent sticky glue, like the kind that is sometimes used to attach cards to magazine covers. I don't know what that substance is called though or where to find it... or if it will strip off paint. Anyone know what I'm talking about and if that would be a good solution?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Purple
    [Edit] Had a suggestion, but nvm, just looked at Reiver pics.

Boy howdy, that's a fiddly little bit.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I mean if I was playing someone and they said "Hey, I paid the points for these Reavers to have grav chutes, I just didn't model them because the pieces are pretty finicky" I would be like "ok".

The ETB ones don't even have them as a modeling option.

This discussion has been closed.