As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    It would be impossible for me to love gritty more than I do

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You assholes. I'm starting to like Gritty. What have you done.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Crosby and Guentzel out there killing penalties for 45sec shift, that's new.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You assholes. I'm starting to like Gritty. What have you done.

You should smile more.

E: given this sounds awful out of context, is a reference to the preceding video.

Jragghen on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Apparently, Philly has moved past booing Santa:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    The international ice hockey federation just did a thing.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Wow, that 2 minute example is ridiculous. No finishing your check?
    1st 5 Minute major example seems fine, that's a penalty for sure. Besides the fact that it's already interference and that example is already elbow to the head as well.
    2nd 5 minute major example seems pretty grey to me.

Match penalty example is an interference call at most.

Implementing this is going to be amazing to watch.

Referee's already have the ability to judge dangerous hits so I personally think the only way to reduce the predatory/intent to injure stuff is to hand out long suspensions.
    Rules like the above video just create a full penalty box.

edited December 2018
    Incremental changes, just like how they are successfully removing fighting from the game.

First there was instigator rule. Then you couldn't remove your helmets. Now fighting per game is down over 50% from even just 10 years ago.

The kids fight less when they are teens and then they don't fight when they are pros. Same thing IIHF is trying to do with late hits. And, yes, finishing your check is a fanciful name for a late hit.

Burtletoy on
    It's a fundamental change to the way the game has been played for a century and I disagree with it.

Why, as a defenseman, not just dump the puck away just before contact? We're going to rely on referee's to determine the tenth of a second interval between a legitimate hit and a penalty? Or will we only allow hits if the person actually has direct control of the puck (i.e. this removes pinching at the blueline from the game)?

At least I'll be dead before this makes it into the NHL, that's some comfort.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I thought (and I could very well be wrong, so please correct me if I am) that someone was considered still in possession of the puck until someone else controlled it. That's what led to the 'don't watch your pass' mantra, you still have the puck even if it's 20 feet away, so you are still a target.
    Are they changing that? or is it just no longer relevant?

Players pinch at the blue line when they have a chance to gain control of the puck not when they have a chance to hit someone?

If you pinch at the blue line in an attempted check on someone without the puck, you're probably not in the NHL because you are bad at defense?

chromdom wrote: »
    I thought (and I could very well be wrong, so please correct me if I am) that someone was considered still in possession of the puck until someone else controlled it. That's what led to the 'don't watch your pass' mantra, you still have the puck even if it's 20 feet away, so you are still a target.

It's more if the puck is within your "zone" of control. i.e. if it's within reach, in your skates, you've just shot it etc...
    This, especially example #1, seems to make it a penalty if you are hit after releasing the puck at all.
    I'll have to rewatch it again but it's not loading for me right now.

Interference is already a penalty and so is charging and so are head hits and boarding so I don't see the point of this unless Burtletoy is right and the idea is just to incrementally remove hitting from the game. I won't put that past the IIHF.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Players pinch at the blue line when they have a chance to gain control of the puck not when they have a chance to hit someone?

If you pinch at the blue line in an attempted check on someone without the puck, you're probably not in the NHL because you are bad at defense?

If I chip it by the D man at the last second and we collide the D man now gets a penalty. Or, does the player who just collided with the D man become the hitter and he gets a penalty?
    These scenarios happen dozens of times every game.

chromdom wrote: »

I don't think that has ever been the case? Once the puck is off your stick you are not in possession of the puck. You could still be hit within a reasonable time frame, which the NHL has alternatively defined at, like, 2 strides or half a second, or whatever, but that isn't defined as possession.

Aridhol wrote: »

If I chip it by the D man at the last second and we collide the D man now gets a penalty. Or, does the player who just collided with the D man become the hitter and he gets a penalty?

I don't know the IIHFs intent, but normally when you are changing penalty rules and you setup example videos of what should be a penalty, you, you know, show what you think should be a penalty. Maybe bumping a player as he skates past you at the blue line wasn't the target of this new rule. Maybe they don't want that called since they didn't show it as an example of a penalty

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Then they change the rule and eventually this will happen less. Yeah, there are probably going to be some "normal" looking hits that like you said just end up causing the penalty boxes to get full. Ultimately it feels like this is a rule that is designed to reduce the total number of hits in a game by a certain percentage, which will probably have some slight benefit on large enough scales.

It's going to definitely require a change in the way the game is approached. In the video, you could argue that all those hits could have at least been minimized. They want to make it so that it's not your natural instinct to just continue through a person, but you at least need to make an attempt to not just let off the gas, but hit the brakes at least. They play on ice, so there are definitely going to be some penalties where the guy will be claiming that he couldn't stop, but eventually players will have to adjust to the rule.

On second watch, the very first sentence in the new rule is hitting a player in a vulnerable position, and every example is a player crossing a significant distance on the ice after the puck was released. To me this looks more like beefing up the charging/boarding calls rather than removing bumping and grinding.

I don't think, unless you kronwall the guy, that slowing a player that has chipped the puck behind you, would be a late hit.

Like you said, if you can't tell if the forward or defenseman was the one that initiated contact, then I'm guessing neither player was in a vulnerable position and that's not a penalty.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The cynic in me says that this is the kind of rule they talk about making big changes to how they're going to call games in the off-season, and then once the season lands they will call less and less often until it's called about as often as it was before the rule change.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Also if I can speculate about the IIHFs motivations here, a better g reason cited for the NHL not going to the last Olympics was player safety, and the risk of teams losing superstars for extended periods because they got hurt at the games. This could be the IIHF preparing for talks regarding China in 2022 by showing steps taken to make their game safer.

edited January 2019
    I recorded the Notre Dame Winter Classic (there's another one here in Philly "soon" as well). This should be fun.

Ok the others are the Stadium Series

Mugsley on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Canada and Sweden lost in the quarters of the world junior championships to Finland and Switzerland, respectively. Weird. Canada was even at home. US has also advanced. Russia currently playing Slovaks.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Canada was leading 1-0, Finland pulled the goalie, a Canadian empty-netter was disallowed as offside, they tied it up with 46 seconds left, then won in overtime.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

While awesome, that's definitely going to increase the shit he takes everywhere now lol

96058.png?1619393207
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In Gritty news, Vox ran an explainer about his rise from mascot to meme and left wing icon.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    That tweet was great! I just started watching Letterkenny and the Hockey Boys are hilarious with their chirping.

50433.png?1708759015
    In Gritty news, Vox ran an explainer about his rise from mascot to meme and left wing icon.

I bowed out of the article at point 4. That was a lot of words, for sure

.... What are chirps? Trash talking?

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ya. Read a thing about it. Dude was with his friend who has season tickets next to the penalty box. Crosby got sent to the box and he just spent the entire time unloading on him. One of my favorites he mentioned was about Malkin asking Crosby where Crosby's Calder trophy was.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    man, canucks have had a tough road trip

- shut out twice despite some great play
    - pettersson injured on an uncalled grab way behind the play
    - trade for AHL goalie depth foiled by philly
    - michael del zotto playing ice hockey

i hope they recover before the tank chorus becomes insufferable again

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    US beat Russia 2-1 to advance to the gold medal game at the world juniors.

US beat Russia 2-1 to advance to the gold medal game at the world juniors.

And Finland won 6-1 over Switzerland to set the gold medal matchup

This is the weirdest stat: Boston College has not won a non-conference hockey game in 26 months. They still won Hockey East last year.

bsjezz wrote: »

Thankfully they just announced it was a minor strain to his MCL and he is only expected to miss maybe two weeks.

I like that kid.

Gold: Finland
    Silver: USA
    Bronze: Russia

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    In a way, Canada should have the gold since they should have beat the team that ultimately won it. Just saying.....
    :(

I couldn't find the game on TV but lots of people are pretty mad about the goal that they called off for USA in the final, too

I'm glad the Blackhawks are no longer good enough to, like, make the playoffs or the finals anymore because, uhhh, the penguins haven't beaten them in 5(!) years.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

Thankfully they just announced it was a minor strain to his MCL and he is only expected to miss maybe two weeks.

I like that kid.

i think in retrospect canucks fans will regard with utter wonder that while there was no overlap between the sedins and pettersson, there was also no gap between them

sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.