As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I know Japan gets all the hate for actually making these questionable games, but I am curious what percentage of their sales come from western weebs.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I managed to find a physical copy of resident evil revelations for the switch in a hole in the wall private owned game place in my town i had no idea existed before hand.
    I paid 22$ for it 20$ for the game and 2$ for the case. I'm not going there again.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That is odd.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I managed to find a physical copy of resident evil revelations for the switch in a hole in the wall private owned game place in my town i had no idea existed before hand.
    I paid 22$ for it 20$ for the game and 2$ for the case. I'm not going there again.

DLC for physical games has begun!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    If you want a weird game that is borderline inappropriate for the Switch, the Senran Kagura reflexology game fits the bill.

Definitely my game of the year right after AC: Odyssey. I mean they are very similar games: In AC: Odyssey, you go on an epic odyssey around Ancient Greece. In the Senran Kagura reflexology game, you massage various pressure points on a Senran Kagura character that you can dress up in varying cosplay-like attire as they sit in lewd poses.

Both games have terrific climaxes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Well, here we go. I’m back up to Alexander IV in Switch. I predict failure.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Was it new? Did it come with a code for Revelations 2?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Ooooh yeah that's a big issue...should've remembered that and warned you. I mean I guess you can get just one or the other for like $15 new...so it would still be a ripoff...but yeah. The game includes both games but the second one is a download since it was too big for the cartridge.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Ooooh yeah that's a big issue...should've remembered that and warned you. I mean I guess you can get just one or the other for like $15 new...so it would still be a ripoff...but yeah. The game includes both games but the second one is a download since they were too cheap to use bigger cartridges.

This is probably my biggest complaint for games on the switch. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    No it was a used copy so it only came with the first game and they specifically warned me about that but my logic was this.

But the only place in my town that has a new copy that i know of is a gamestop in the mall which is about four hours round trip and they want 35$ for the new copy so like i'm perfectly fine with buying the first one for 20$ and the second one off the Eshop for 20$ to not have to drive all that way.

And yeah the "Digital code for the second" part annoys me a bit. I'm not the smartest cookie in the shed but i'm 100% you could fit all 10 megaman games on one cart

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Ended up choosing Hollow Knight after all. Thanks for all of your input and info. Gonna start it later today and report back with my first impressions.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The 32 gb cart that would be needed for revelations 1 + 2 is quite a bit more expensive than the 4gb for all mega man games. I can't even think of a 32 gb cart because publishers are avoiding them like the plague.

Even Smash managed to fit on a 16 gb cart.

I mean for games like Revelations is understandable the second game alone is 26gb

But like for things like the Megaman Legacy collection and the X legacy collection those games can't be that big they're just slightly polished nes/snes roms.

I think it says more about Nintendo's optimization/programming team compared to third parties more than anything else. If Smash and all of it's assets fits on 16gb, that's amazing. For third parties, it's laziness and cost cutting, when they could condense code or assets to work in smaller download sizes. The cheap market for media cards and hard drives has lead to bloat in all things.

Reminds me of the story of Bill Atkinson and getting fed up with the bloated program he was working on because they were evaluated based on how many lines of code they wrote, so he decided to cut it down and removed 2000 lines and put that in his daily report.

Just because the space is there, doesn't mean you need to fill it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I think it says more about Nintendo's optimization/programming team compared to third parties more than anything else. If Smash and all of it's assets fits on 16gb, that's amazing. For third parties, it's laziness and cost cutting, when they could condense code or assets to work in smaller download sizes. The cheap market for media cards and hard drives has lead to bloat in all things.

Reminds me of the story of Bill Atkinson and getting fed up with the bloated program he was working on because they were evaluated based on how many lines of code they wrote, so he decided to cut it down and removed 2000 lines and put that in his daily report.

Just because the space is there, doesn't mean you need to fill it.

I think the biggest part of that is just that Nintendo dates back to the days of the NES and having very limited capacity for everything. Restrictions breed creativity and Nintendo almost certainly has the most experience of any developer at making things fit into a limited amount of space. Even if flash memory is cheap enough now that a switch game card has plenty of room I don't think Nintendo is going to stop applying the lessons they've learned at fitting things in - the senior developers all probably remember working with much tighter limits.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    How is The Gardens Between?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    No it was a used copy so it only came with the first game and they specifically warned me about that but my logic was this.

I figured that was the case. The biggest reason I asked was because both revelations games were recently on sale on the eShop for $14 each. Though you would've had to deal with storage space for both.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited January 2019
    You know as i play through megaman and x through the switch legacy collections there's something i never really picked up on.
    This entire series is just one long sad downer ending.

Zunde on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Diablo seems way too easy as a Necromancer. I have the difficulty on Master (highest I can set it without beating the game) and it seems like all I have to do is run forward holding ZR and A (using bone pillar and archer mage's) and everything just dies without much effort needed, even bosses. I haven't come close to dying once, my health hasn't even dropped below half yet. I'm level 38. It seems kind of lame? Am I supposed to just go through the motions until I unlock the higher difficulty levels?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Diablo seems way too easy as a Necromancer. I have the difficulty on Master (highest I can set it without beating the game) and it seems like all I have to do is run forward holding ZR and A (using bone pillar and archer mage's) and everything just dies without much effort needed, even bosses. I haven't come close to dying once, my health hasn't even dropped below half yet. I'm level 38. It seems kind of lame? Am I supposed to just go through the motions until I unlock the higher difficulty levels?

The general advice is to run bounties + regular rifts in adventure mode with as much +EXP gear and a socketed ruby in your helm. You'll hit 70 pretty quickly doing that and then you can crank up the difficulty and start working through greater rifts.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    swaylow wrote: »

The general advice is to run bounties + regular rifts in adventure mode with as much +EXP gear and a socketed ruby in your helm. You'll hit 70 pretty quickly doing that and then you can crank up the difficulty and start working through greater rifts.

Yeah I leveled my barb with a leorics crown + ruby and never took it off until I hit 70,no matter how much better the stats were on other helm drops. Do that in adventure mode and you'll be good to go in no time.

96058.png?1619393207
    Drez wrote: »
    As an actual game, it's a very basic puzzle game. Almost kinda boring. But it's got great presentation, and that seems to be all that matters for a lot of indie games.

You know as i play through megaman and x through the switch legacy collections there's something i never really picked up on.
    Most of the MM spin-offs take themselves way too seriously. If I hadn't played the games myself, and someone explained the story to me, I'd assume they were reading me bad fan-fiction. It's truly awful.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    As an actual game, it's a very basic puzzle game. Almost kinda boring. But it's got great presentation, and that seems to be all that matters for a lot of indie games.

Most of the MM spin-offs take themselves way too seriously. If I hadn't played the games myself, and someone explained the story to me, I'd assume they were reading me bad fan-fiction. It's truly awful.

Hey, the world of Battle Network / Star Force allows happy endings at least.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Actually never really played those. I was mostly thinking of X, Zero, ZX, and what little I managed to suffer through of Legends.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The entire Mega Man timeline can be summed up in 5 words.

"And then things got worse."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Played one hour of Hollow Knight so far, got up to (and beat) the first boss. Quite liking it so far, it looks fantastic and the atmosphere is terrific.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

This has been my experience with my wizard so far, yes.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

The entire thing with ZX is that the world is finally rebuilding. It's significantly cheerier than X and Zero. It's party of why I liked the Zero->ZX transition - they finally didn't just undo the previous series. ZX is not shy about the fact that Zero's sacrifice did manage to usher in an era of peace where humans and reploids are finally living together in mostly harmony, with actual functioning society and no constant war on the horizon.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

The entire thing with ZX is that the world is finally rebuilding. It's significantly cheerier than X and Zero. It's party of why I liked the Zero->ZX transition - they finally didn't just undo the previous series. ZX is not shy about the fact that Zero's sacrifice did manage to usher in an era of peace where humans and reploids are finally living together in mostly harmony, with actual functioning society and no constant war on the horizon.

And then sometime in the future, something happens that floods the world and then the Legends games happen.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Been playing Dead Cells and man, this game is pretty good! Kinda hard tho

JtgVX0H.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

And then sometime in the future, something happens that floods the world and then the Legends games happen.

I can imagine if you time skip thousands of years at a time there's going to be at least one cataclysm.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Christmas disaster! Left joycon no longer lights the little LEDs and SL and SR won’t work. As those are the buttons you press to ‘activate’ the controller, that means it’s useless for single joycon play and 4p family Mario Party is a bust.

Over a year old and Google suggests repair costs are in the range where I might as well just buy a new set.

Very much humph!

Update! Figuring that if my only alternative was buying a new one I could hardly make things worse, I ordered the arcane tri-wing screwdriver, took a deep breath, and breached the controller. Once inside it was clear that the problem was one of the ribbon cables as it would lose and regain connection depending on how I bent it, and then it snapped entirely.

Ordered a replacement part for a tenner so fingers crossed, if I can manage the non-trivial task of clipping in a new ribbon cable, and manage to not bork any other ribbons on the way, I might be able to effect my own repair here.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Which screwdriver did you get? I was getting conflicting results between Y and tri-wing and sizes when I was searching.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    "New Triwing Triblade Special Screwdriver For Nintendo Switch Wii U"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131543007520

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Which screwdriver did you get? I was getting conflicting results between Y and tri-wing and sizes when I was searching.
    Y and tri-wing (also called tri-point) are different, but my Y0 bit works with the joy con fasteners and Y1 is too big. It is probably either a Y0 or Y00.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Battle network is not really a world that got worse but more of stop the underlying threat
    Most people are oblivious to what is going on in the net in those games. I really would like it to come back as I enjoyed those games

Battle network had some really enjoyable game play i liked the chip system.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Sorting through my shelves, I found out I have EIGHTEEN Switch games just physically. What the hell. I think it was easier when Nintendo had no games.

As part of the holidays I got both Diablo 3 and Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I have a few questions...

1. Diablo 3, when I boot it up, keeps asking me if I want to install a language pack, as I'm in Australia so it sees me as UK English. Is there any reason to install this since I'm fluent in English? Does it add anything else to the standard game?

And is there anyway to rewatch story videos? There's a weird glitch where if you hit the home button while media is playing (video or just talking) it stops it, so when I hit home to grab my headphones for the opening cinematic I came back to find it skipped.

2. For monhun, I started and was very quickly overwhelmed, couldn't see how to change weapons, the quest I accepted was unclear, and I was wiped out by a Dino that bounced on their tail. Is there a good primer for this game anyone can recommend? And should I download all the DLC right away?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    the dlc for monster hunter is mostly just extra missions you can do, so it doesnt matter one way or the other. Also you basically need to treat monster hunter like turned base combat rather than like some button masher like god of war or dynasty warrior(or its stylized offshoots like hyrule warriors, DQ warriors, etc). Basically wait for the thing to attack, dodge it and counter a couple hits and repeat. eventually youll figure out which attacks are easier to get hits in. Also you change your weapon in your house, just go to your gear chest and you can pick.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    And is there anyway to rewatch story videos? There's a weird glitch where if you hit the home button while media is playing (video or just talking) it stops it, so when I hit home to grab my headphones for the opening cinematic I came back to find it skipped.

Yeah, I believe that you have to go to the "More" option from the bottom of the main menu and then the next series of menus should have one labeled "Cinematics."

Also, you should check out the "What's New?" on that same sub menu because there is a cool limited time event going on right now.

NNID: Rehab0