As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warcraft 3] Patch 1.32.3 no desyncs (maybe) no ladder (definitely)

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The map maker is being modernized and improved too, so you know what that means. DotA 3 is on its way!

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    in case people skip to the last page, this is a remaster of reign of chaos (original warcraft 3), but according to the stream frozen throne is planned but i haven't heard anything yet about when that will be

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    in case people skip to the last page, this is a remaster of reign of chaos (original warcraft 3), but according to the stream frozen throne is planned but i haven't heard anything yet about when that will be

Sounds like TFT is being rolled into it!

https://www.pcgamer.com/warcraft-3-reforged-includes-the-frozen-throne-multiplayer-will-be-compatible-with-the-original/

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Sounds like TFT is being rolled into it!

https://www.pcgamer.com/warcraft-3-reforged-includes-the-frozen-throne-multiplayer-will-be-compatible-with-the-original/
    Yeah I was going to be surprised if it weren't. Starcraft 2's remaster came with Broodwar right?

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Yeah i squee'd pretty fucking hard upon hearing about this.

Can't wait to see the remastered Thrall/Grom/Mannaroth fight cinematic.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Kneel wrote: »

I hope they don't change too much in that regard. Really for any cinematic, but that one specifically is critical-levels of iconic.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »

I hope they don't change too much in that regard. Really for any cinematic, but that one specifically is critical-levels of iconic.

Well the duel/Infernal intro was identical aside from being re-rendered with much higher quality models so I'd imagine it'd be the same for all the others.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man, it was almost 20 years ago I was hooked on this game and the ladder, sucking as I did. Is this going to make me play and realize how I suck again? Single player campaign was fun though.

I can't imagine they'd have the ladder structure working the same way at all. Like nobody making new accounts willy-nilly on Battle Net just to curbstomp players for the sake of temporary boners. Smurf accounts I mean, btw.

Henroid wrote: »
    I can't imagine they'd have the ladder structure working the same way at all. Like nobody making new accounts willy-nilly on Battle Net just to curbstomp players for the sake of temporary boners. Smurf accounts I mean, btw.

allegedly you can both play against "SD" versions of warcraft 3 on ladder as well a sport your accounts over. here are some details from back2warcraft:

edited November 2018
    i don't know if this was said at blizzcon and i missed it or later on and i missed it, or if it is simply a rumor. word on the street is that pre orders will be getting stuff on 12/1. it sounded as though it will be the playable game (presumably access to the originals?) but i haven't looked really hard to corroborate anything. given how disenchanted i've been lately with other games (looking at you heroes of the storm), this is super exciting. regardless of when it releases i plan to play the shit out of out and i am going to try and stream the hell out of it as well

edit: i'm watching back2warcraft and staring at the reforged launcher and man...it needs to release already!

edit 2: according to back2warcraft the new balance patch is slated for december first which is ALSO huge. God i love warcraft

WingedWeasel on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    i don't know if this was said at blizzcon and i missed it or later on and i missed it, or if it is simply a rumor. word on the street is that pre orders will be getting stuff on 12/1. it sounded as though it will be the playable game (presumably access to the originals?) but i haven't looked really hard to corroborate anything. given how disenchanted i've been lately with other games (looking at you heroes of the storm), this is super exciting. regardless of when it releases i plan to play the shit out of out and i am going to try and stream the hell out of it as well

edit: i'm watching back2warcraft and staring at the reforged launcher and man...it needs to release already!

edit 2: according to back2warcraft the new balance patch is slated for december first which is ALSO huge. God i love warcraft

@WingedWeasel https://wccftech.com/warcraft-iii-reforged-pre-order-dec-1st/

thanks koopah!

on the competitive side the WGL is going on (and has been for a few days...should've posted this sooner). actually just watched a wild ud v ud which featured
    pitlord first!

reruns are being run a lot so if you miss games you can watch them later

• BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Anyone else hoping they take this chance to develop WC3 into a platform like Hearthstone for them to drop more content into? I am not up to date on my lore, but I Imagine there are still lots of stories to tell that bridge the gap between WoW.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    in anticipation of Reforged I'm trying to learn WC3 from scratch (first RTS)

if anyone doing the same or is otherwise fairly new to the game wants to do some practice 1v1s, feel free to add me and msg me on Battlenet launcher Jasconius#1409

Jasconius wrote: »

if anyone doing the same or is otherwise fairly new to the game wants to do some practice 1v1s, feel free to add me and msg me on Battlenet launcher Jasconius#1409

what race are you planning to play? there are a lot of resources available to assist

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Beefers wrote: »
    Anyone else hoping they take this chance to develop WC3 into a platform like Hearthstone for them to drop more content into? I am not up to date on my lore, but I Imagine there are still lots of stories to tell that bridge the gap between WoW.

I'd like to see that--Rexxar's "mini campaign" demonstrated the same concept in WC3 and set the foundations for some of the elements in WoW afterwards, but I seriously doubt it. It's hard to imagine Blizzard thinking that small DLC campaigns, like we saw with Nova in SC2, would be profitable and worth their time.

Synthesis wrote: »

I'd like to see that--Rexxar's "mini campaign" demonstrated the same concept in WC3 and set the foundations for some of the elements in WoW afterwards, but I seriously doubt it. It's hard to imagine Blizzard thinking that small DLC campaigns, like we saw with Nova in SC2, would be profitable and worth their time.

allegedly the nova thing was expected to do really well (compared to co-op) and it turned out to be the inverse in a HUGE way (coop crushed the campaign sales) so i'd be inclined to agree that it is unlikely.

what race are you planning to play? there are a lot of resources available to assist

I have started with Human but I don't think that's going to stick too terribly long. Last night was the first night that I started soundly beating the Insane AI and managing my economy well-ish

With this newfound comfort I am thinking about either NE or Orc, I want Moar Power at Tier 1

human is arguably the hardest race to play. tier one for them is often fast expand, although rifles have become a thing. the fast expand with militia is to help power into later tier tech. sosorryman was one of the first WC3 streamers i watched, although obviously there are a number of pros if you wanted to stick with it.

NE right now is seemingly all about keeper abuse. entangle and treants got significant buffs, but just recently got hit with some nerfs (included below). the horde has been sort of still feeling itself out. since the blademaster nerfs (thank God) BM is just the defacto go to. far seer is totally reasonable and there are quirky strats on certain maps for say SH first.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/1-30-2-patch-notes/1672

BALANCE UPDATES
    Hero Balance Changes
    Archmage
    Brilliance Aura

Level 3 mana regeneration increased from 1.75 to 2.00 per second
    Blood Mage
    Flamestrike

Reduced casting delay from 1.33 to .9 on all levels
    Keeper of the Grove
    Force of Nature

Treant damage reduced from 16 to 15
    Entangling Roots

Level 2: Duration reduced from 5 to 4 seconds
    Level 3: Duration reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
    Warden
    Base Stats

+1 Intelligence
    Pit Lord
    Base Stats

+1 Agility
    Orc Balance Changes
    Tauren Totem
    Base Stats

HP reduced from 1200 to 900
    Human Balance Changes
    Priest
    Base Stats

Mana regeneration increased from .67 to .72
    Spell Breaker
    Tech Tree

Control Magic now requires Keep instead of Castle
    Control Magic

Control Magic mana requirement reduced from 45% of enemy HP to 35% of enemy HP
    Cannon Tower
    Base Stats

Build time reduced from 75 to 65
    Gold cost reduced from 200 to 150
    Night Elf Balance Changes
    Huntress
    Base Stats

Decreased base damage from 16 to 15 (17-19 to 16-18)
    Sentinel

Is an upgrade again. 100/100 cost, 20 second research, on Ancient of War, requires Hunters Hall, no longer requires Tree of Ages
    Duration increased from 3 minutes to 5 minutes
    Druid of the Talon
    Base Stats

Gold cost reduced from 150 to 145
    Glaive Thrower
    Base Stats

Base damage decreased from 50 to 44
    Undead Balance Changes
    Acolyte
    Base Stats

Movement speed reduced from 250 to 235
    Items
    Wand of Lightning Shield

Duration reduced from 20 seconds to 10 seconds
    This reduces total damage from 400 to 200

i find the transition from T1 to T2 with human to be very uncomfortable

T1 archmage openers feels not super great, you have to make a lot of footman and/or milita creep on some maps, so you're spending a lot just to do yellow camps, and then at the same time you're exerting yourself so hard just to keep up with creeping, you also have to lurch over T2 and get your sanctum down so you can start playing the game

of course you get rewarded if this happens... but I dislike that I feel so locked in to "hoping nothing bad happens until X"

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    i find the transition from T1 to T2 with human to be very uncomfortable

T1 archmage openers feels not super great, you have to make a lot of footman and/or milita creep on some maps, so you're spending a lot just to do yellow camps, and then at the same time you're exerting yourself so hard just to keep up with creeping, you also have to lurch over T2 and get your sanctum down so you can start playing the game

of course you get rewarded if this happens... but I dislike that I feel so locked in to "hoping nothing bad happens until X"

I always did 2-4 footmen, archmage with water elem. and then as many rifles as I could pump out till I'm safely at T2+

send in water elem first to draw aggro and odds are all your units will be fine by the end

Xaquin on
    it depends on the map, I've been practicing mostly on Twisted Meadows, which seems to have some human-unfriendly camps (for example, the magic gnolls do insane bonus damage to water ele)

I can do the triple gnoll yellow camps with two footman and ele, and then I take a green camp for a fast level 2

but the other camps, such as Merc camp, require either militia or 4 very healthy footman + double ele, and even being forced to buy troll priest

i dont think I want to wait for a healthy rifle army before going to T2. I feel like fast T2 is the right play, even if it means not creeping as much

against a real player, I would probably just try to get to AM level 3 as frugally as I can, then harass while I tech up. I can't do this against the AI because the AI is super turtly and will always be there to defend his workers

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I would love to see that. I really want to know what's happened/ is happening in WoW, but I just as badly don't want to log into another MMO.
    I mean, I know there's a metric shit ton of back story and lore that's been added, as well as the story moving forward from WCIII.

If there's any chance of a WC4 happening, I'm either going to have to spend hours in a wiki hole, or just try to pick up the past fifteen years of WoW from context.

it depends on the map, I've been practicing mostly on Twisted Meadows, which seems to have some human-unfriendly camps (for example, the magic gnolls do insane bonus damage to water ele)

I can do the triple gnoll yellow camps with two footman and ele, and then I take a green camp for a fast level 2

but the other camps, such as Merc camp, require either militia or 4 very healthy footman + double ele, and even being forced to buy troll priest

i dont think I want to wait for a healthy rifle army before going to T2. I feel like fast T2 is the right play, even if it means not creeping as much

against a real player, I would probably just try to get to AM level 3 as frugally as I can, then harass while I tech up. I can't do this against the AI because the AI is super turtly and will always be there to defend his workers

yeah the creep patterns will vary per map. gnolls (the blueish ones with the ball and chain) have a purge which deals bonus damage to summoned units

1.30.3 is now live. tl;dr a number of changes to NE includes nerfs to the mountain giant, kotg, and alchemist. although the alchemist was obviously showing up elsewhere

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/1-30-3-patch-notes/2647/4
    Hail Warchiefs, Lichs, Commanders, and Keepers,

Happy holidays! We’re thrilled to be back; it’s going to be an exciting year.

BUG FIXES

Damage mitigated by Hardened Skin will now correctly be reduced to 3 at a minimum, up from 1
    The second pulse from the Taunt ability will no longer fire if the Mountain Giant is dead or affected by ability disabling effects
    KNOWN ISSUES

Potentially fixed Arranged Teams to work with port forwarding (due to technology constraints this can only be tested on Live)
    We are still homing in on the root cause for desyncs. Cached data results in mismatches when switching between game types - like playing a custom game and then playing ladder. Restart the game when switching between game types to lower your risk of disconnects (we’ve also seen the caching issues between some custom maps).
    BALANCE UPDATES

Hero Balance Changes

Keeper of the Grove
    Entangling Roots

Cast range decreased from 800 to 600
    Developer Notes
    Entangling Roots is of high utility to the Keeper’s kit. This change is intended to add a bit more risk to its use without reducing its effectiveness. The spell now has the same range as the Keepers auto attack, which should increase the opportunity for counterplay.

Alchemist
    Acid Bomb

Level 1: Decrease primary damage from 8 to 6 per second (Total damage 120 to 90; Secondary damage 5 to 4 per second)
    Level 2: Decrease primary damage from 13 to 11 per second (Total damage 195 to 165; Secondary damage 8.5 to 7 per second)
    Level 3: Decrease primary damage from 18 to 17 per second (Total damage 270 to 255; Secondary damage 12 to 11 per second)
    Developer Notes
    Alchemist provides awesome AoE healing, has high hit points, is powerful enough to pick off units, and debuffs opponents effectively. Heroes generally shouldn’t check every box for potential roles… Reducing Acid Bomb’s single target damage better focuses him in a support role - recent tweaks to Healing Spray cemented him as a great alternative healer for any race, and those effects have been positive to gameplay.

Human Balance Changes

Defend

Piercing damage reduction increased from 50% to 65%. The in game tooltip will show this as 50% damage taken to 35%.
    Developer Notes
    There has been a drop off in the use of Defend after changes with the 1.30 balance update. This change is intended to restore usage. Its original behavior relied on RNG rather than a flat damage modifier. We anticipate there may need to be adjustments to the percentage, so we will be keeping an active eye on how the new Defend performs.

Night Elf Balance Changes

Mountain Giant
    Base Stats

Food cost increased from 6 to 7
    Cargo size increased from 2 to 4
    Developer Notes
    Mountain Giants are imposing, disruptive, heavy tanks with great siege potential. That potential becomes absolute in large packs. They were never intended to be a massed unit. Increasing food cost will make adding additional giants past the first few cut more heavily into a player’s army makeup as well as push them into higher upkeep faster. Additionally by increasing cargo size they will match the Siege Engine, a fellow high durability siege damage unit.

Glaive Thrower
    Vorpal Glaive

Developer Notes

The Vorpal Glaive upgrade has been bugged for some time:

The main target of the Glaive Thrower always takes full damage
    The area of effect from the Glaives changes from a circle into a line
    Glaives can kill trees
    The main target takes full damage, as if the projectile were a homing shot, but the Glaive doesn’t follow said target. Instead it hits the ground like it missed, and does line damage where it impacts. If we fix Vorpal Glaive to adhere to reduced damage of siege weapons to units, then researching the upgrade feels like a nerf when it exchanges radial damage for line damage.

We want to address these issues by having the projectile correctly track and impact the main target of the Glaive Thrower. This embraces a distinctive behavior from other siege weapons, helping with our goal of pushing each race to have their own identity. We hope to have Glaives tracking their targets and ready for the next balance patch – though the updates are not included in this PTR.

Can't believe they're balance fixing so much still. I almost want to hop back in, pretty sure I have all the games tied to my bnet account.

RickRude wrote: »
    Can't believe they're balance fixing so much still. I almost want to hop back in, pretty sure I have all the games tied to my bnet account.

it's been a renewed effort. they released several patches recently but for a long time there wasn't much of anything at all. reforged fell into the "worst kept secret" category after brood war remastered and then the growing of the classic team (which led to additional patches)

the game is still really fun and there is a pretty sizable scene

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    For sure the reason they renewed development of WC3 was to prepare for Reforged. Presumably the balance is all the same at least, if not the actual gameplay code.

I'm going to look at installing it and maybe play a bit of it.

Chances are I'll end up in some custom td game though lol

RickRude wrote: »
    I'm going to look at installing it and maybe play a bit of it.

Chances are I'll end up in some custom td game though lol

There's nothing wrong with that.

I personally skew towards playing competitively but that doesn't mean those aren't valid game modes. I have played a shitton of poke-mauls over the years

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    For sure the reason they renewed development of WC3 was to prepare for Reforged. Presumably the balance is all the same at least, if not the actual gameplay code.

It should be very similar code wise. SC Remastered players can play games with the original SC players without any issues as it is coded that way. I would think WC Reforged works the same way.

There's a new ptr patch (1.31) and holy shit are the changes monstrous. Balance changes, reworked spell sets, new items, changed item drops, map changes, ability changes, new upgrades, consolidated upgrades

Just go look

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/public-test-realm-1-31/5003

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    What happens to custom maps when the base functionality of items changes? Are custom items unavoidably changed as well, or are legacy versions of the changed items kept in?

jothki wrote: »
    What happens to custom maps when the base functionality of items changes? Are custom items unavoidably changed as well, or are legacy versions of the changed items kept in?

honestly i am not sure, but i think that the attributes can be modified. however i don't follow the custom scene all that much

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    The editor changes are wild, they're really investing time into modernizing it and making it more powerful. I'm excited to see that scene get rejuvenated and what people can come up with now. My assumption is that the old maps will still work, putting this out without the ability to play original DotA etc would be crazy. People are going to want to dig up all their old favorites.

Ironically Overwatch also just revealed their Workbench with their own sort of scripting, but that's miles away from what WC3 could do from the start.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    blech

not a fan of those human buffs, but the necromancer changes sound interesting

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    They sort of also buff-nerfed blademaster which seems really odd. The last thing Grubby needs is for blademaster to crit harder... I'm kind of a fan of the undead changes.