As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fix your interior!

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Definitely good work!

I... currently have a giant cardboard box in my entryway

Turns out when Ikea delivery dudes say "Oh it's heavy!" they AREN'T being Stereotypical Men assuming I can't pick up a box or two - I got the damn bookshelf parts through the lobbies and the lift and into my apartment but then I was like WELP UNBOXING THIS RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW.

Also I'm assembling the bookshelf in my bedroom, because it is large, and so my bedroom is a disaster.

Does anyone have any solutions for bike storage indoors, btw? My least favourite part of my apartment is that I have two quite-nice bicycles (well, one quite-nice bicycle and one omfg expensive bicycle) and I don't want to keep them outside but I hate how they look just propped against the wall...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Definitely good work!

I... currently have a giant cardboard box in my entryway

Turns out when Ikea delivery dudes say "Oh it's heavy!" they AREN'T being Stereotypical Men assuming I can't pick up a box or two - I got the damn bookshelf parts through the lobbies and the lift and into my apartment but then I was like WELP UNBOXING THIS RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW.

Also I'm assembling the bookshelf in my bedroom, because it is large, and so my bedroom is a disaster.

Does anyone have any solutions for bike storage indoors, btw? My least favourite part of my apartment is that I have two quite-nice bicycles (well, one quite-nice bicycle and one omfg expensive bicycle) and I don't want to keep them outside but I hate how they look just propped against the wall...

Bike storage indoors is always a huge fucking pain, sorry. And you're renting, so you can't just bolt some vertical bike racks onto the wall, no?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'd store them vertically. But I don't think you can drill into your place can you?

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Wall mounts are the way and then light, but require some decent drilling to be secure. Maybe there is a standing version of the same idea? It will take up a bit more space but get around lease violations. Probably not cheap though.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Are you allowed to screw stuff into your walls? Those rubberized metal bike hooks are what i use, but you can probably get or make some kind of rack if you can't damage the walls.

Edit: well, I'm slow. I'll add this to try and be useful:
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5003-950/Michelangelo-Gravity-Bike-Storage-Rack
    Seems like something you could also just make, but if you've got two expensive bikes anyway, it's probably not crazy expensive for you

Atheraal on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Drilling is frowned upon/forbidden. I'd do it anyway for pictures because they can't tell whether I've used those stupid fucking 3M strips or not once the art is up, but a vertical rack that screws in will probably be a bit more noticeable. Atheraal that stand might be just the thing!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Drilling is almost always frowned upon/ forbidden, but I generally say do it anyway.

Go back around at the end of your lease with some spackle and paint that reasonably matches the wall and they'll be pretty unlikely to ever pick up on it.

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    I used to have a floor to ceiling bike rack in my apartment that worked pretty well for two bikes. Never had to drill.

Depends on if you think your ceiling will work with one of those though.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So here's my "office"as it currently is. I need to organize better for sure, and do a good cleaning.

is2w1tdzyhmk.jpg
    zv89pqj7izr1.jpg
    yfb3b8fuusag.jpg

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    First step, gimme the bunny

He's the reason that rug has to be grey, why it's covered in fur and rabbit poo, and why it has to be astroturf because he and his sister kept crewing up the actual carpet

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I went through my drawers and pulled out a ton of clothes to donate, and now I probably have enough space to put my clean clothes away instead of living out of the basket for the whole week!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    @Lost Salient

I have that stand and it worked great when i was renting

it also works when you lean the bike up against it because you're too much of a mess to move things out of the garage

zkHcp.jpg
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I survived the move, and so did my computer! My new bedroom isn't quite finished, but it's getting there!

iaPtEbF.jpg

edited January 2019
    I love the potential of a new space!

Today I didn't get around to de-mealybugging my plants or tuning my bikes, but I DID:
    • Clean and sort all of my laundry
    • Finish assembling my new bookshelf
    • Reorganize all of my books to start filling the bookshelf (general science, brain science, books about the ocean/ocean life/sustainability and seafood, unread fiction by authors in translation, and current favourite fantasy having been relocated to the new shelf)
    • Install and configure my Hue lighting for my bedroom

I think all told it's a decent job! Of course, as with any project, it has spawned other projects:
    • Recabling/installing cable management behind the entertainment center
    • Cable management to hide the new uplighting lamp's power cable
    • Buying and setting up a PoE switch to relocate and deploy the Hue controller and a new WAP
    • Redo the desk in the bedroom to match the rest of the dang bedroom

Behold, a photo of the new shelf and lamp, complete with old shitty bookshelf and my not-at-all tidy bed
    VXRcLGFl.jpg

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Didn't do much yesterday. A bit more light pickup. Biggest thing I did was assemble some wooden organizers I got for my board games - specifically Arkham Horror 3rd edition and an upgrade for Mansions of Madness. Assembling these is pretty time consuming, and it helps a ton with actually playing these games. But yeah. Not much visible improvement with that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am very slowly and very badly tidying up my kitchen, and again incredibly slowly worked on my backyard gathering up the most ridiculous amount of leaves.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am very slowly and very badly tidying up my kitchen, and again incredibly slowly worked on my backyard gathering up the most ridiculous amount of leaves.

The trees we have drop a SHITLOAD of leaves. Thankfully, my mower picks them up. So all I really have to do is rake the non-lawn bits. One day I'll get a chipper and a compost bin, one day...

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    thinkin i gotta set aside a full day just for my bookshelves x_x

uc3ufTB.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’m not completely happy with the setup of a couple of our rooms but to reorganize at this point would require some new furniture, and that won’t be in the budget for a while.

Everything’s accessible right now, and we know where to find stuff, so that’s at least something!

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I’m not completely happy with the setup of a couple of our rooms but to reorganize at this point would require some new furniture, and that won’t be in the budget for a while.

Everything’s accessible right now, and we know where to find stuff, so that’s at least something!

I think it's important to remember that the perfect shots we see online are just that, posed shots, and all but the most neat (and capeable of hiring cleaning help...) People don't actually live like that.
    I still want to live in an Ikea catalog though.

I just spent 2 hours cleaning up the basement. Picked up all the rabbit stuff and vacuumed everything, Cleaned up my area but I haven't decided what I want to do with it all yet. We want to hang the TV off the wall and get a couch/chairs for down here so that might happen soonish

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Want to see something not posed? Here's the reason that I've spent the past couple of months doing everything I can to turn my loft into a usable room(s):

RkfWfWdl.jpg

boAy9jsl.jpg

This is my office. I work from home so spend around 8 hours a day sat amongst this mess. Most of it is taken up by the cushions for the sofa that's currently covered in sheets (and plaster dust) in the loft. The rest is an assortment of crap that doesn't have anywhere else to live. Or, looking at the pictures, stuff that actually belongs elsewhere but I blank out of my mind because I've already got too much to think about. Or toys. Or electronics that "might be useful"

Now, it's gotten a lot worse since we decided to renovate the loft as it's turned into a bit of a dumping ground for stuff before the loft is finished, but it's always been pretty bad because this is a room that guests don't go into, being my workplace and all, so anything that needs to go away quick because people are coming just gets dumped in here. And then forgotten about. There's a box of toys that was to be donated in July I think

Some fun things to find in the jumble:
    A bike pump that got lost on its way to the shed
    The Mickey Mouses that Khoo got me for Satans one year
    The IKEA monitor stand that I really need to swap with the laptop box I'm currently using
    A Christmas book that needed to be gotten rid of ASAP because it's the most irritating thing in the world and so our son's favourite

Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to have the "after" where I've just binned everything and just have an empty desk, but as free time is something that happens to other people I don't really think it'll be soon

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'd love to get all of your opinions on where to put my couch in my living room. One wall is nearly completely covered by a fireplace and a built-in shelf and another wall is just the entryway. I think I know which of these looks best but I'd like to hear what you think.

First of all, here is the fireplace wall with the TV in the corner.
    fOpVefy.jpg

LAYOUT 1
    HtzE6wz.png
    The couch is parallel to the TV. I took this photo before I bought the little white table.
    RMvDBBT.jpg

As you can see, the couch kind of juts out into the entrance a little but it's not really in the way.
    wBHz4x6.jpg

That picture has been moved to a better spot. I will tell you my plans for that wall later.
    BMWi8mN.jpg

LAYOUT 2
    CJJQ4Ev.png
    I've swapped the couch and the chair. The couch no longer blocks the entrance and it blocks less of the heater. On the other hand, it's not parallel to the TV and seems a little less "balanced".
    Rz049S9.jpg

Here is where I moved that picture. Looks much better here.
    P375Nay.jpg

Hell yeah.
    GHC93Z6.jpg

LAYOUT 3
    cN1ktnE.png
    This is pretty much the same as Layout 1 except the couch has been pushed back against the wall. Most of the heater is blocked.
    TmmkMz3.jpg

LAYOUT 4
    lFlximA.png
    When I first moved in, I had my computer in the living room too. The computer was in the corner and the TV was flat against the big wall. The couch was sort of in the middle of the room. This is an old pic.
    GDoqQU2.jpg

The chair is sort of awkwardly behind the couch.
    rkxq1SA.jpg

I'm painting two pictures to hang on that big empty wall. They are in progress:
    HUeNYDw.jpg

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    Put in big chunks of yesterday and today cleaning and organizing -- it's intimidating how much stuff you can build up over a decade or so.

Even though I have a bunch to go, it's good to actually dig into things and build a plan. The growing piles in the 'dump and donate' staging area I've got in the garage feel like accomplishments.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
    @Taya first of all, that’s a cute room; I love the floor and your sofa, and your cat, and your paintings in progress are looking awesome!

Personally I like layout one, at least for the purposes of sitting and watching TV.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I say layout 1 or maybe 3

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    paintings are already cool.

i'd lean towards the last layout, with the tv centered between the front of the fireplace and the window, and the couch matched to that, but that's kinda dependent on how much walkspace you'd have on either side, and if you find it irritating to walk around the back of the couch in order to sit; if you use the fireplace would the couch get too hot on that side, etc etc. if the chair feels awkward by the built-in, make a little reading nook by tucking it in the other fireplace corner, with the small table in between it and the tv?

otherwise, i'd go with the first layout.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Alright! Time to make up for not doing much yesterday.

Let's focus on getting some more floor space and clean up that clutter.

TP75rR6l.jpg

Nice! So proud of---

*hears whispers*

... what do you mean, turn around?

yhMJixOl.jpg

Oh.

Well, shit. It's still an improvement, though! Now everything's up on the table, and I can sort / put away things. Right?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    It's already a big improvement.

Definitely!

Taya I prefer layout 1 of all of those options -

It keeps the space relatively open to people coming inside the home or the room, which makes it welcoming and makes the space seem larger than the other options, with the exception of layout 3. Layout 3 blocks the entirety of the heater, though, as you said, and is awkward for having a cozy conversation or for watching TV or playing games. The sofa and chair layout in number 4 makes it both difficult and awkward to have a conversation with someone sitting in the chair, and blocks off the shelf from easy access, AND blocks off the entry to the room.

Although you lose some square footage with layout 1, you can put a pedestal table behind the couch in the corner and put something decorative on it - a vase with dried flowers (in the winter, I mean, since I find that heaters like that murder plants) or fresh flowers, a weird pheasant sculpture, a giant cardboard Shaq cutout, whatever. It doesn't have to be wasted space, is my point, it can be decorative space.

Also, cute place! Is it a row house, where some of the rooms are upstairs and some are on the first floor, or what? (It reminds me of Chicago and that makes me a little sad, except then I see the snow and I'm like lolnevermind.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    I had it at layout 1 for several months and I think I like it best too.

There is one house attached to mine but it doesn't seem to be identical. Upstairs has two bedrooms, a laundry room, and the main bathroom. I really really love my house but I feel like I'm still figuring out the interior. There's hardly anything on my walls. I'm glad for this thread!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Taya I just want to say your fucking stairs are really quite something.

Also in actual constructive posting, go with any layout you feel the most comfortable with but do test out the glare situation with your TV before making any final decisions. In my experience you want the TV in the physical furthest spot in the room from the window for maximum glare avoidance.

I can’t really do anything now, but I like to daydream...
    2019-01-06%2010.38.14.jpg
    The aforementioned guest room. It’s at the front of the house, downstairs. It’s handy having a spare bed, but we only have a need for it 1-2 weeks of the year.

Ideally I’d swap the bed for a decent sofa bed, then...? I don’t know whether we’d make that room the TV/video game room, or whether it’d be the kids’ game room. If it was the latter, we’d contain some of their mess. It might also be a handy room for when they’re older and more into LEGO (I hope!).

Or maybe we’d make it the craft room and keep the current living area as is?

The living area:
    2019-01-06%2015.42.25.jpg

I feel this is the best setup right now given our current furniture/needs, but at some point I’d love a bigger sofa - a nice sectional, perhaps, which would mean eliminating that little space right in front of the window. Maybe we’d also have a gaming table in front of the sofa.

(Btw, I was going to put Skelly the skeleton into storage, but Anya actually began to cry, so I guess Skelly really is a permanent fixture now).

So, crafting. Right now I have this corner of the bedroom:
    2019-01-06%2014.53.04.jpg
    It’s serviceable but looks completely naff. The plastic folding table is bending slightly under the weight of the sewing machines and my fabric and related materials are all in the bins situated underneath. The bins at least keep everything dust-free...

The ALEX series at IKEA is really popular with crafters and I’d probably want something similar; it’d be cool to have a sturdier, long bench somewhere with nicer looking drawers underneath. Higher wall shelves are great places to lay scissors/fabric cutters when you have kids.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I can give you instant feedback on the ALEX system!

5kl61sw3wuah.png

I have 2 ALEX drawer units and a (long as hell) KARBLY countertop. I love how it looks and it holds a lot of shit.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Take the room Rachel! Turn the guest room into the sewing room, it's only used 2-3 weeks a year and if that is the case, you can spend a day or two before your guest comes over to turn it back to a guest room.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    In my own interior design news I have like 30 samples from Bali and Levolor inbound to choose shades (those honeycomb style ones).

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I love the idea of convertible spaces. It's a shame that I'm too messy, don't pick up after myself, and the stuff is super expensive.. but every time I see pictures of those origami-like living spaces, I so wish I could do that. Like.. have a bed hidden that folds up and reveals a sitting area or something.

Technically I have a table that does that - unfolds to like 12-14 feet long. It's heavy as fuck though.

I have an ALEX file cabinet and its very nice. My wife was going to do the 2 ALEX with a counter top like Luv has but we found a glass desk thats the same size and similar with shelves instead of drawers for $19 and it was very hard to pass up

Mori is all for me turning it into a craft room so I’ll put that on my 2020 to-do list! Which is when I might have funds available, haha.