As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Hi job thread. I need your advice.

My mum is part of this, I don't know what you call it, a club? Like Rotary if anyone knows that. Pretty sure it's not a cult. Anyway they have dinner meetings once a month and usually get a guest speaker, and this month that guest speaker is... me. I am to go there and talk to them about my time in South Africa and show off some photos etc.

My problem is knowing what specifically to talk about, as I was out there for years and have to fit a talk into 15-20 minutes. As you guys kind of bore witness to my time there I was wondering if any of you have suggestions on any topics you think I should cover? What would you find most interesting to hear about?

Talk about how unchecked capitolism is destroying natural habitats.

And funny stories about elephants.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Make sure you end the talk by blasting Toto as you mic drop and walk off.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey job thread, I read the article referenced here and thought of you gauls, and me, and I thought you gauls might want to read it.

I thought some of you might relate.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    oh man, that top level tweet. me too.
    *reads*

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So the miniatures company I work for is doing a line in a new material, and I asked if they'd done any in-house testing on it. Like how does it cut, does it explode when dropped, ect. And someone brought me two minis in the new material and said "go to town". So, ideas?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So the miniatures company I work for is doing a line in a new material, and I asked if they'd done any in-house testing on it. Like how does it cut, does it explode when dropped, ect. And someone brought me two minis in the new material and said "go to town". So, ideas?

put them up your butt

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Will it blend?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Drop it from various heights at various temps
    Leave it next to your stove as you cook
    Stack stuff on it, see what happens (smush? pulverize?)
    Chuck it at a window; what breaks first?
    Put it in the food of someone you don't like to see if it is a choking/poison hazard.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

Try painting them without primer and then with primer. Not sure what they want you to test.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Wrong time of year, but I'd suggest the "leave it in a car on a hot day." Alternatively: hot water/hair dryer test.

Leave it in the freezer/outdoors overnight (or at least a couple of hours) to see how it reacts to the cold.

Not only cutting, but drilling too for people who want to pin it.

Try after cutting, try different glues for putting them back together.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I feel so incredibly stressed over using 8 hours of sick time for my shift yesterday. Like I know I am not in any trouble of using sick time too often or using it in a pattern or anything like that. My write up was for calling out when I did not have PTO or sick time to cover and now I have a bunch so I'm good there.

I just feel so weirdly stressed and I cannot pinpoint why.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Wrong time of year, but I'd suggest the "leave it in a car on a hot day." Alternatively: hot water/hair dryer test.

Leave it in the freezer/outdoors overnight (or at least a couple of hours) to see how it reacts to the cold.

All of these are good standard tests assuming it's a single piece

If it's multiple pieces you can also add vibration testing to see if the parts stay together well but I'm assuming these are molded single parts

Drop tests are also a good addition from multiple heights, as well as the paint tests (see if the paint will dry well, rub off, etc)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Most of my day at work today was setting up my department strong enough to handle how busy we were so I could sneak away for a moment and work on my report of the assault/arrest that happened yesterday. I had to submit witness statements both internally and to our contracted security firm. I also made statements to Seattle PD last night.

Basically the guy that came in and assaulted one of our security guards, and then resisted arrest, which I witnessed, used his phone call to call his mom and spin a yarn and now dudes mom is threatening to sue.

My report was long, highly detailed, and written like a military after action report. Bonus, I didn't embellish anything, it was the truth as a I witnessed it, and may end up being used as evidence in a court.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I get made fun of when I do the pep rally for work or have to read back the info for what I have to do since I just default back to being a marine sgt. being straight forward with the info nothing more
    I also do make fun of I am not kidding around about writing people up for their lack of enthusiasm for stocking. I know it's a boring thankless job but just do it and move on don't drag it out

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

Submit it to a series of "enhanced interrogation" procedures.
    The less it talks, the more you know it's hiding something, so keep ramping up the intensity.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Forgot last night, but also try dipping them in the typical paint removal liquids to see how they react (simple green, brake fluid, pine sol, etc)

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Scheduling someone 2200 to 0800, then a weekend, then 0700 to 1500 is shitty.

Thankfully, my next shift after 1500 is 0000 monday night

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Survived first week at new job. Every day my to do list grows longer

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm getting anxious since I didn't hear from my job developer last week...

I'm almost anxious enough to just try to tidy up my kinda resume this week myself and try to apply for this one I want to try for ahead of time. But I don't want to risk blowing it.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Six months at this job and I'm finally starting to feel not completely lost all the time in this undocumented nightmare mess of a codebase. I find that, after spending a lot of money on a height-adjustable desk with tilting keyboard tray, I'm much more productive curled up on the couch with my laptop. C'est la vie.

Still trying to find a happy medium between "goof off all day" and "code for twelve hours straight."

There are several very nice apartments available in my dream location, in my price range, and I really want to move; but also holy shit I am not prepared to move. Plus there's that little voice in the back of my head trying to convince me it's irresponsible to double my rent when I could be saving more for retirement. It's so lonely in this bedroom community, though.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Once upon a time, there was an ordering system that was simple and intuitive to use, to the point that ordering supplies was fun. Supplies almost always arrived in two or three days, very predictably, so I could make an order on Tuesday and know that I would get boxes on Thursday or Friday, when work is usually lighter and I could have a supplies party.

Then they broke it, because of course they did. Part of it supposedly wasn't their fault, it was something to do with one of the suppliers having hissy fits or something, but the simple and intuitive system broke. Stuff arrives when it arrives, which is often over a week later. When items are backordered, we might be alerted, or we might not. Sometimes we're alerted about backorders for weeks and then get the items the next day, after I spent an hour frantically calling people to try to get supplies to tide the clinic over until they arrived. Sometimes they just don't say, and I just hope stuff arrives on day 8 when it didn't on day 7 because we're almost out and the asshole doctor is getting snippy.

And somehow, every single update, upgrade, fix, repair, and add-on since only makes it crappier. And the powers that be wonder why I'm a supplies hoarder.

The end. No moral.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to go into work now with a more positive attitude, focusing on how easy the job is, how much it pays, and all that but I'm already not wanting to go to work tomorrow.

I also need to start talking to HR about the building change in fall of 2019. They are building an entire new building next to the other Amex building 10 miles down the road for us and are going to make it so there are no assigned seats which is absolutely awful for my germaphobia. My tl like a dick said if they make an exception for me they would do it for other people like that is somehow a bad thing.

Either way he isn't HR and doesn't get to make that decision.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited January 2019
    I'm dead on my feet. Today was so busy. We blew past sales projection before the end of my shift with another six hours left till the store closes.

Weaver on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Everyone's on holiday, there's a job application that's come down to the wire, my third professional referee finally came through hours before deadline. So if I don't get an interview at least it shouldn't be for a stupid technical foul.

Time for a 5pm drink.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Well we're awake for the first day back at work after two weeks off. I know it's a nice problem to have but ugh. Just ugh.

So today ended six days in a row, I have the next two days off, then seven in a row, I looked at the calendar and saw how they could easily put me eight days in a row but it's not gonna happen because I spoke with the guy writing the schedules about it already. I'm still doing my physical therapy work but as busy as we've been, today my left hip socket and just the tiniest bit of sciatica were annoying me. He knows pushing me that far is gonna be well, too far. Anyways, only a couple of weeks until me and Nuka go on MOUNTAIN RIVER VACATION!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Everyone's on holiday, there's a job application that's come down to the wire, my third professional referee finally came through hours before deadline. So if I don't get an interview at least it shouldn't be for a stupid technical foul.

Time for a 5pm drink.

(One bottle of chilled sparkling Shiraz later... Aaaayyyyyyy.)

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Time for a 5pm drink.

(One bottle of chilled sparkling Shiraz later... Aaaayyyyyyy.)

Hell yeah - get crunk!

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    You know your holiday vacation was effective when you go to start logging back into to work things and realize you don't remember what your password is.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I'm working from home today after panicking in the shower again about going into the office. Does anyone have any tips on not freaking out in open offices? I just feel like I'm surrounded by people who are all just staring at me and I spent the day just waiting to be interrupted. I thought it would get better but it hasn't. Should I address it with my manager even though she obviously can't move walls?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Open offices suck. The biggest tip I have is: do you look at other people's stuff? No? Most others don't either. If people do, point out how rude it is.
    The reality is that no one really cares what others are doing beyond that one busybody that should be working.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Open offices suck. The biggest tip I have is: do you look at other people's stuff? No? Most others don't either. If people do, point out how rude it is.
    The reality is that no one really cares what others are doing beyond that one busybody that should be working.

I went from a 400 sq foot corner office with a view to no assigned seating in a converted grocery store (same position, new building).

I had the same anxiety, but after forcing myself to go sit out in a space that had 6 people working in what would have been the size of my former office, I actually found work to be more fun- whereas before I had music playing in my office, now I’d get to participate in people cracking jokes and helping one another.

I’m actually moving to my old building and will have a “fabric” office (tall brown cubicle walls) and I’m sad again because work will be lonely...

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I like my open office, I think they're a good way to work

Solar on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Good news, you’re going to be the only happy person in a lot of offices

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I like my cube. Its mine. I have my pin collection and a painting and a nice calendar with cats in space with food.

Tube wrote: »
    Good news, you’re going to be the only happy person in a lot of offices

I think that a lot of the time they promote team engagement. At my workplace if everyone had their own office or cubicle I think that we'd get less done, be less engaged with each other as a team, and quickly run out of space.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think open offices are a fucking hellscape so we’re probably at an impasse on this one.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I like my current open office set up, but this place has a small tech start up feel. It’s like 13 people and almost everyone other than me is sub 30. They are a fun and funny group and I spent like 45 minutes making waffles for everyone at work last Friday. (While technically doing my job for that block of time of answering any incoming calls (there were none))

Edit: oh and we are getting a new hire today and she will be sitting across from me and I’m excited!

Inquisitor on
    Tube wrote: »
    I think open offices are a fucking hellscape so we’re probably at an impasse on this one.

That's fair, although I confess I'm curious as to why you loathe them so

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I think some people thrive in an open office and others drown in anxiety and the inverse is true for cubicle farms and it probably varies depending on culture and the type of work and there is no one magical solution to making everyone happy.

Except a four day week.

This discussion has been closed.