As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Jesus the writing on Mrs. Maisel is so good

@So It Goes you watching this?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Jesus the writing on Mrs. Maisel is so good

"So It Goes" you watching this?

I made it through the entire 1st season thinking it was based on a real, but obscure, comedian. I love it less for being whole cloth, but it is still amazing.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    No but I probably should for the costumes alone

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    2 interesting things that lead to the streaming end:

-Activision/Blizzard's CFO left the company to be Netflix's new CFO, so expect lootboxes to unlock shows and movies soon a zing (not really but at this point it wouldn't surprise me)

-Warner Brothers bought the shares of Rat Pac produced movies in a clear attempt to have greater ownership share of those movies for keeping them to their upcoming streaming service (basically all the DC superhero movies and Lego Movie and any WB blockbusters recently).

edit: also RIP Super Dave

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    No but I probably should for the costumes alone

Oh god tell me about it

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm re-watching the Hooky episode of Spongebob (available on Amazon Prime Video) and god damn they totally knew what they were doing

Patrick, in order: sits down on a hook (hiding the tip), then deepthroats it (such that the tip is visibly pressing against the back of his throat), then puts like 10 in at once, then rides it with a close-up of his face

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Bird Box was okay. It had some interesting concepts, and most of them were executed well. I'm kind of surprised at the way it has blown up on social media though over the last couple of weeks. Memes everywhere.

I found Bird Box clicked for me when I realized it was a spin off HP Lovecraft kinda movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Two episodes into High Score Girl, it's nice. Nothing groundbreaking or funny like Umaru-Chan but it takes me back to the 90's console and arcade days and the fucking cheesing on Street Fighter, and using Turbo Grafx 16 is a nice touch. Would be nice if the girl spoke but I expect that in the end. It really does annoy me that this is labeled a Netflix original when it clearly isn't, it was on TV over there in the summer and they even kept in the sponsor screens at the beginning and end of the show, only with the sponsors removed so you have still screengrab for ten seconds. Call them Netflix Premiers or something when it's not actual original programming.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Just realized there's a new season of Travelers out. I think I only have a couple of episodes left, and I've enjoyed it so far even though I think I was more impressed with the previous seasons. They're focusing more on A.I. this time, helping scratch an itch I've had ever since Person of Interest ended.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Just realized there's a new season of Travelers out. I think I only have a couple of episodes left, and I've enjoyed it so far even though I think I was more impressed with the previous seasons. They're focusing more on A.I. this time, helping scratch an itch I've had ever since Person of Interest ended.

I need to get back to watching it. I really like how they opened the 3rd season with:
    Yeah so the FBI isn't made of fucking morons. Time travelers obviously exist. And fuck'em.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Travelers is great. Feels like X-Files, but actually more like the dozens of medium/low budget sci-fi shows that popped up in its wake. Pretty great cast and writing.

• Options
    I've said this many times before, but time travel in Travelers is my favorite time travel.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I liked Season 3 of Travelers a lot more than season 2, though not as much as season 1.
    I hope it gets renewed for a 4th season as I'm very curious where it goes.

Though one thing didn't make sense to me at the very end of the season:
    The whole Protocol Omega thing: how can the Director abandon a timeline?
    Not morally or anything; like how is it physically possible?

My understanding, based on admittedly fuzzy memories, was the Traveler 001 went back as far as the Director could send him within the limitations of the technology and that some other limitation of the tech prevented it sending anyone back except in numerical order (so 002 has to be later than 001 etc).

So if it wanted to abandon a timeline and try again...how would it? Send someone back to the near past before 001 went out and have them give it information?

Or was that whole thing just a lie to orchestrate them sending the dude back further into the past? In which case, if it couldn't actually try again, why did the protocol exist in the first place?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So is Travelers basically Trancers the TV show?

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    So is Travelers basically Trancers the TV show?

I haven't seen Trancers but from the Wikipedia description it's similar.
    People from the future can one-way project their consciousness into any body in the past provided the AI setting it up knows the person's exact position at a given time. For ethical reasons they limit it to sending travelers into the bodies of people who would otherwise be about to die (as it's a permanent, irreversible transfer).

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Been watching the Tidying Show on Netflix. It is really watchable.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I feel like "keeping shit organized and clean" isn't something that needs to be taught so much as it's just something that needs to be done.

So Tidying Up seems like a show where it's like, "Yeah, they cleaned up during the show. But check back in six months."

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I agree. But its a bunch of people who have that sentimental attachment itch. Its a common thing. Plus its really a life skill. One that does need to be prodded and poked.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I liked Season 3 of Travelers a lot more than season 2, though not as much as season 1.

My understanding, based on admittedly fuzzy memories, was the Traveler 001 went back as far as the Director could send him within the limitations of the technology and that some other limitation of the tech prevented it sending anyone back except in numerical order (so 002 has to be later than 001 etc).

So if it wanted to abandon a timeline and try again...how would it? Send someone back to the near past before 001 went out and have them give it information?

Or was that whole thing just a lie to orchestrate them sending the dude back further into the past? In which case, if it couldn't actually try again, why did the protocol exist in the first place?

It's a lot simpler than that, though the events surrounding it were BULLSHIT (Travelers season 3 spoilers, finale mostly):
    Omega is just no more touching the timeline. It doesn't have to do anything, it just stops. Things happen from that point onward as they will with no travelers changing things.

It kicks this off by letting David die which Marcy had the proper reaction to; fuck you computer.

And now they are ALL dead except Mac so. Maybe the faction had a point.

It also seemed written to end things or at least they wrote themselves into a shitty corner to get out of.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Started watching The Orville this week and oh god no the Black Mirror planet, this is painful to watch

Orville gets so much better as the first season goes on.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Started watching The Orville this week and oh god no the Black Mirror planet, this is painful to watch

Orville gets so much better as the first season goes on.

i burned through the orville this last week and i was surprised how star trek it was. thats both a compliment and a detractor. a couple of the episodes i felt were direct copies of some of the next generation stuff. the actors do a pretty good job and the show hits the "look at how dumb we are as humanity" setups that i really enjoy. season two is in swing now and i'm definitely continuing to watch it but i hope they can branch out to their own stuff more.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    stupid Baudelaire, don't they know that western wasabi is just horse radish with food colouring?

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    stupid Baudelaire, don't they know that western wasabi is just horse radish with food colouring?

Exactly what I thought during that scene That green paste you get at Sushi places that is called Wasabi is almost universally horse radish paste.

Winklebottom on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I started watching Aggretsuko on Netflix, which is basically "what if Hello Kitty had a soulless desk job and did drunken death metal karaoke every night to numb the pain?" and it's kind of neat.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Xeddicus wrote: »

It's a lot simpler than that, though the events surrounding it were BULLSHIT (Travelers season 3 spoilers, finale mostly):
    Omega is just no more touching the timeline. It doesn't have to do anything, it just stops. Things happen from that point onward as they will with no travelers changing things.

It kicks this off by letting David die which Marcy had the proper reaction to; fuck you computer.

It also seemed written to end things or at least they wrote themselves into a shitty corner to get out of.

Can't say I liked the ending either, although I didn't hate it, and it did leave me curious to learn why this happened.
    It seems to me the logical reasons for the Director abandoning the timeline would be one of three:
    - the future is fixed and all is well, there's nothing left to do (we know this wasn't the case, or at best maybe the future seemed to be fixed for a brief time until 001 took power)
    - the Director concludes that history is impossible to fix (unlikely, since we learned in earlier seasons that the Traveler program has been able to change the future, although so far mostly for the worse)
    - the Director is lacking information and can't risk making things worse by flailing around blindly. I'm guessing this is the case, given that most of the Archives were destroyed.

I'm guessing the Director itself doesn't know what the hell is going to happen if Travelers send themselves back from the time they were sent to. Otherwise it'd presumably have been chain-sending people back all the time by now. All in all I suppose the season left the show in a decent place. If the series ends, it got a bleak but at least tentatively hopeful ending. If it continues, they can basically write anything they want because Mac will be able to change or undo pretty much everything that has happened in the show so far.

Also in my headcanon Travelers and Person of Interest take place in the same universe, and the Director is the future evolution of the Machine.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options

Can't say I liked the ending either, although I didn't hate it, and it did leave me curious to learn why this happened.
    It seems to me the logical reasons for the Director abandoning the timeline would be one of three:
    - the future is fixed and all is well, there's nothing left to do (we know this wasn't the case, or at best maybe the future seemed to be fixed for a brief time until 001 took power)
    - the Director concludes that history is impossible to fix (unlikely, since we learned in earlier seasons that the Traveler program has been able to change the future, although so far mostly for the worse)
    - the Director is lacking information and can't risk making things worse by flailing around blindly. I'm guessing this is the case, given that most of the Archives were destroyed.

I'm guessing the Director itself doesn't know what the hell is going to happen if Travelers send themselves back from the time they were sent to. Otherwise it'd presumably have been chain-sending people back all the time by now. All in all I suppose the season left the show in a decent place. If the series ends, it got a bleak but at least tentatively hopeful ending. If it continues, they can basically write anything they want because Mac will be able to change or undo pretty much everything that has happened in the show so far.

Also in my headcanon Travelers and Person of Interest take place in the same universe, and the Director is the future evolution of the Machine.

It's pretty much the last couple things that's the issue:
    Mac did undo everything we saw and he can do whatever (and so can the Director as per Traveler Program V2), but it'll be all new stuff presumably. They can make it work, just seems harder than continuing with what we had.
    Everything was screwed and it seems to have decided V2 was the answer. Or it just gave up.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Finished watching season 2 of the handmaids tale. Never has a show disappointed me so much so quickly. I literally stormed out of the room in a rage 5 minutes before the end of the finale when I guessed what was about to happen and had to go for a walk to calm down.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

I'm almost certain I remember in the explanation of what Protocol Omega means someone saying that the Director was abandoning this timeline and starting over.

But maybe I imagined that.

'Abandoning the timeline' seems like a very odd way to say, 'shutting down the Traveler program' either way.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I'm almost certain I remember in the explanation of what Protocol Omega means someone saying that the Director was abandoning this timeline and starting over.

'Abandoning the timeline' seems like a very odd way to say, 'shutting down the Traveler program' either way.
    The next season is obviously going to be a total reboot, probably with a whole new cast. Kinda excited about that, actually.

I'm going to guess the whole "Cant send a traveler further back than the previous one" isnt actually a technical limitation, but a limitation in the way time works. When a traveler is sent to a time later than the last traveler it is still on the same timeline, but if a traveler is sent back even further it creates a whole new timeline.

Apparently Netflix took over production for Season 3, so what happens now is entirely in Netflix's hands.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

The next season is obviously going to be a total reboot, probably with a whole new cast. Kinda excited about that, actually.

I'm going to guess the whole "Cant send a traveler further back than the previous one" isnt actually a technical limitation, but a limitation in the way time works. When a traveler is sent to a time later than the last traveler it is still on the same timeline, but if a traveler is sent back even further it creates a whole new timeline.

Apparently Netflix took over production for Season 3, so what happens now is entirely in Netflix's hands.

Seems like a good negotiation tactic.
    So basically all your characters are dead now, but we might bring them back if we reach an agreement in the salary negotiations.

Anywho, @Xeddicus makes a fair complaint. Depends on your point of view I guess. If we see this as Mac's story, the story just continues even if the timeline changes. But if you're more invested in the rest of the cast and the world, it certainly seems like they just rendered all three seasons meaningless.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Soooo Carmen Sandiego comes to Netflix on January 18. Doesn't look too bad.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Soooo Carmen Sandiego comes to Netflix on January 18. Doesn't look too bad.

Oh, she's the protagonist? That's interesting.

• Options

Travelers:
    Far as I recall Omega is just you're on your own, doesn't necessarily mean there's another try. It just so happens we got one because either that was the plan anyway or Mac convinced it.

Carmen Sandiego:

Not too up on my Carmen Sandiego lore, but I assume she won't be the bad guy thief in this if she's the protagonist. Indiana Jones'ing stuff probably.

• Options
    Yeah, it looks a lot like she's going to be Doctor Who but with a recurring set of antagonists.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am crossing my fingers for Carmen Sandiego to steal stuff from the British to give back to the places they were stolen from.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

So basically all your characters are dead now, but we might bring them back if we reach an agreement in the salary negotiations.

Anywho, Xeddicus makes a fair complaint. Depends on your point of view I guess. If we see this as Mac's story, the story just continues even if the timeline changes. But if you're more invested in the rest of the cast and the world, it certainly seems like they just rendered all three seasons meaningless.
    It could be that the Director knew that if it told our plucky time travelers that it was abandoning them they would send Mac back to before 001. The Director couldn't reset the timeline directly because it was programmed to not be able to, but it needed the timeline reset to try again. Killing David in the way it did was the only way to drive them to the point of desperation to do what they did.

I get the complaint about making the previous story meaningless. Resetting the timeline is the third rail of time travel stories. I can only stomach once if it's done well, and I am optimistic that the writers can pull this off.

• Options

Anywho, Xeddicus makes a fair complaint. Depends on your point of view I guess. If we see this as Mac's story, the story just continues even if the timeline changes. But if you're more invested in the rest of the cast and the world, it certainly seems like they just rendered all three seasons meaningless.
    It could be that the Director knew that if it told our plucky time travelers that it was abandoning them they would send Mac back to before 001. The Director couldn't reset the timeline directly because it was programmed to not be able to, but it needed the timeline reset to try again. Killing David in the way it did was the only way to drive them to the point of desperation to do what they did.

I get the complaint about making the previous story meaningless. Resetting the timeline is the third rail of time travel stories. I can only stomach once if it's done well, and I am optimistic that the writers can pull this off.

Travelers:
    It can totally reset the timeline if it wants. It did that half a dozen or so times just to save Mac's team.

So it could have just said "Hey, go back and stop 001 from ever being sent back.". So really this looks really bad for the Director.

Unless, and this won't be the case, but 001 didn't really DO anything for awhile right? So nothing changes (what are they going to do about Helios without Traveler tech?) except Mac is around sooner!

Not going to happen, but everything being gone is just sigh.

• Options

Travelers:
    It can totally reset the timeline if it wants. It did that half a dozen or so times just to save Mac's team.

So it could have just said "Hey, go back and stop 001 from ever being sent back.". So really this looks really bad for the Director.

Unless, and this won't be the case, but 001 didn't really DO anything for awhile right? So nothing changes (what are they going to do about Helios without Traveler tech?) except Mac is around sooner!

Not going to happen, but everything being gone is just sigh.

Did it?
    The closest I can recall is the episode where they were trying to stop a team from doing...something...at a lake out in the country and kept failing and getting killed, so the Director sent back Travelers into basically every person who was in the vicinity - two of whom were skydiving at the time - within seconds of one another. They all manipulated the timeline by undoing the failure the Director saw after the last Traveler but every one of them arrived after the previous one. And the more it sent the more fucked up the Travelers were on arrival due to the temporal instability or whatever created by too many subsequent temporal arrivals.

That's why I didn't understand how the Director could abandon a timeline and try again. The one rule they've stuck to all the way through the series is that a Traveler cannot be sent back further than the last Traveler. So if I show up at 12:00:00, the next guy is going to have to come in at 12:00:01 to fix my fuck-up because the Director physically can't send someone to 11:59:00 to shoot me in the face and do my job for me.

If Protocol Omega is just the Director giving up then it makes even less sense. Sure, the timeline is fucked. But if it can't reboot the program and try again from the start then it seems like it would still try to shepherd the past into the best version of the future possible, rather than leaving the Faction to fuck with history however they want to.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Travelers:
    That's what I'm talking about. Technically maybe it didn't send those travelers back before X time, but they all repeated the events over and over and Mac's team was reset every time. I can't recall if each attempt the new traveler was messed up more or not, just that the previous ones failed so it had to keep trying. So not matter the exact details it was abandoning timelines to save them.

Omega was never clearly defined that I recall, just the Director will no longer interfere either because mission success or no more moves to make. That last one seems pretty implausible with time travel, as shown by the lake episode, so yeah. V2 was always on the table it seems and it includes a new timeline.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    I mentioned this in the Christmas thread but wanted to make sure it gets out there, but if you need some car mayhem in your life right now that's not Grand Tour there's a show up on Amazon called Sentosha Battle Wheels which aired in the summer in Japan.

XtprN8X.jpg

Basically it's Takeshi's Castle plus the cheap car challenges/country battles from Top Gear and a little bit of asian variety show, in that you have two feudal "emperors" and their celebrity allies fighting one another in car battles that involve japanese vs. western cars, and some of them are actually owned by the celebrities. It's not as scripted as other shows and the drivers sort of ham up and deliberately go after one another (if you need a general idea of what you get in the show watch the first 15 minutes of episode 3) and while it's only 5 episodes, it's paced to take place over an afternoon of shooting, and you sort of even feel bad for the cars to when things like this happen:

4r7WcJc.gif

Good, funny car show. Give it a shot if you have time.

This discussion has been closed.