As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think X was the most complete package, but it lost a lot with me with its linearity and lack of explorability. They did plenty of good worldbuilding, but it was all lost on me with how synthetic the world felt. I didn't believe for a moment there was anything on the other side of the invisible walls on either side of the corridor that was that game. The only game world they've built that felt less real to me was Cocoon in FFXIII.

I don't even chalk that up to the lack of a world map. XII didn't have a world map either, but it is a way more believable space than what X offered.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    FFVII was still operating off the NES/SNES model of world building where everything has a different theme instead of an overall cohesive theme. They were already moving beyond that by FFVIII.

well worlds arent the same all over, so it actually makes way more sense to see different themes and stuff in different places. Sure there are similarities but pick a different place on each continent and they will be completely different. Seeing the same thing everywhere in a game is super boring, and i prefer the older style than some world spanning empire being the only culture in a game.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    FFX was alright.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I think X was the most complete package, but it lost a lot with me with its linearity and lack of explorability. They did plenty of good worldbuilding, but it was all lost on me with how synthetic the world felt. I didn't believe for a moment there was anything on the other side of the invisible walls on either side of the corridor that was that game. The only game world they've built that felt less real to me was Cocoon in FFXIII.

Never played XIII, but XV was that way for me. The entire thing - characters, setting, plot - felt hollow.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the linearity of X is what really hurt my ability to get invested in the setting. I didn't feel like I was fighting for a world, I felt like I was fighting for a handful of people here and there along the literal road from the beginning of the game to the end of the game. The whole story of the game revolves around this journey the group is taking, but I never have a feel for how far that journey actually goes.

Then you compare that to the prior several games, where the end up way the hell far away from where you started out and you can feel it. You've personally travelled the whole world (and possibly beyond) by the end, not just walked through a series of scenes on a trail. And each of those games has multiple places you might never know about unless you go out exploring, instead of just holding the player's hand through each and every step of the game. You get a proper chance to get invested in the world as a world, not just going down a list of locations with different scenery.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I liked the way most of the FFX was relatively linear, I think that helped with the story and structure of things. I personally felt invested in the world and like I had traveled a huge distance at the end. I understand that doesn't work for everyone though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the linearity of X is what really hurt my ability to get invested in the setting. I didn't feel like I was fighting for a world, I felt like I was fighting for a handful of people here and there along the literal road from the beginning of the game to the end of the game. The whole story of the game revolves around this journey the group is taking, but I never have a feel for how far that journey actually goes.

Then you compare that to the prior several games, where the end up way the hell far away from where you started out and you can feel it. You've personally travelled the whole world (and possibly beyond) by the end, not just walked through a series of scenes on a trail. And each of those games has multiple places you might never know about unless you go out exploring, instead of just holding the player's hand through each and every step of the game. You get a proper chance to get invested in the world as a world, not just going down a list of locations with different scenery.

Yeah, it's definitely something you notice with it. I don't think it's entirely a bad thing though, and they designed the world well for it with it all being islands mainly. Not every RPG needs to be an expansive exploration thing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    X was was like 2 islands and then you walk the length of a continent

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Yes, but the theme for Besaid Island is one of my favorite Jurpegur tracks of all time:

https://youtu.be/kxJE6SSX-aw

It’s one of the most soothing, pleasant instrumental tracks I’ve even heard.

As for FFXV, it gave us the Florence + The Machine cover of Stand By Me. One of the most amazing covers of one of the most amazing songs ever written/performed. And for me, they used it absolutely perfectly in the game. FFXV is...odd. But if you get wrapped up in it, they really did a good join pulling emotional heartstrings. It loses its way early in and it could have done a lot better and been a lot more focused, but fuck if the endgame didn’t hit me right in the chesticles.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Whereas I feel that the obvious and blatant emotional manipulation the game tries to employ 100% falls flat/is entirely unearned because the bros aren't real characters, but rather a loose collection of 1-3 broad personality traits and nothing more. Me?
    I'm happy Noctis is dead, and that the whole stupid bloodline died with him. Good riddance.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Probably my favorite thing from my FFXV playthrough was the very end
    I didn't know what I was picking those photographs for, but I picked one of Prompto's shots of Cindy. So that's what Noct and Luna were looking at up in heaven or wherever they were.

Cindy Aurum: a mechanic so smokin', heavenly royalty sit upon their thrones and go "Nice."

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I got through it in about 25 hours, and the only thing I did was skip the piles of grindy shit they put in the game. I wasn't even trying to get through the game that quick and still got a couple of ultimate weapons as well.

That was the game where I felt like they turned the corner on bloating the games out with grind instead of content. It still has solid content, just not enough of it compared to prior entries.

Hot damn. My clock was something in the 80-100 hour range for my playthrough. I did all the things but I always do all the things in FF games and they all tend to fall somewhere between 80-120 for me.

DemonStacey on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    X was probably my fav, I even liked X-2. Far and away my favourite FF moment is the big reveal at Yunalesca and Auron urging the party to fight their sorrow, defeat her and take back control. Auron, a man literally to angry to die. I loved the move to XII's MMO ish presentation and combat, setting up gambits and such - it was great to watch your party work with your setup and IIRC I actually beat Yiazmat "hands off" although nervously. Never did finish 13, I went so hard to get to where it opens up and then burned out lost interest and stopped playing. With them putting it up on the Xbox One, I'll probably find the time to go back and continue playing.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    For me it goes VIII(has a special place in my heart) > X > IX > the rest in some order

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    IV, VI, X for me.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    XII was gorgeous and had great gameplay mechanics, but the final enemy is ... political intrigue? Booo!

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    XII was gorgeous and had great gameplay mechanics, but the final enemy is ... political intrigue? Booo!

That's underselling it a liiiittle bit.
    The main villain was a man who loved his little brother and thus wanted to spare him the violence and ruthlessness he believed was needed to rule in his homeland, a belief justified by seeing how his father ended up controlled by the senate, seeing how his two older brothers fought over the throne, and having to strike them both down personally. Political intrigue was as much Vayne's final enemy as anyone's, desiring the power to rule outright, without question, to escape the shackles of his father and the senate, and avoid the fate of his elder brothers both for himself and Larsa.

Granted a lot of this is subtext that the game doesn't seem keen to dive into, most of Vayne's character development only hinted at in cutscenes that don't involve the party whatsoever. But it's there, I feel.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    edited January 2019
    I don’t think I can do a linear best to worst of the FFs anymore but, of the ones I have thoroughly played or completed:

Top Tier: VIII, X, X-2
    Betwixt Top and Middle Tier: VII, XII, XIII-1
    Middle Tier: 1, V, VI, XV
    Betwixt Middle and Bad Tier: III (probably here I haven’t played that much of it)
    Bad Tier: IX

Sorry, I really dislike IX for so many reasons.

XV is a hard one for me to place. I think it is 90% bloat grind but I enjoy the scant bit that’s there as messy as the pacing may be. I think I enjoy that bit a great deal better than some things in the tier above it, but it’s such a small amount of content that, holistically, I just cannot rate it as high as the ones above it as they offer more consistent experiences.

As for non-mainline games that I have played thoroughly, FFT, FFTA, and World of Final Fantasy are all top-tier. FFTA2 is probably right below those. Dissidia in general is very Middle Tier for me.

Drez on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I can only recall the ones I dislike the most: FF2 and FF3. Top one right now probably goes to FF7, FF14 and FF5. FF6 used to be up there but lately when I replay it I go "FF5 did it better".

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    For some reason FFXV ate half my photo library towards the end. That ended up bumming me out a fair bit, to the point that I wished they would have some hard coded default photos from all through the journey, corruption proof.

Oh brilliant
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Y'know, for all that people complain that XIII was all one big linear hallway (fair), it has only just now occurred to me that X is pretty much the same.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    While VI will always be my fave FF, I have long believed that narratively, X would be the best FF to adapt into a movie. Character-focused 2 protagonist romantic hero journey with a bittersweet ending and a tight focus. If a talented filmaker were to properly execute the twists and ending, while cutting out the extraneous stuff that doesn't serve the central narrative, I could see a fantasy movie with mass appeal coming out of that.

Things I would change from the game (FFX spoilers):
    Don't focus over much on the monsters/summons: they are souls that weren't properly sent, simple. Summoners are able to "tame" and call upon the cooler ones for their own use. Use the designs from the games as a nod to the players, but don't spend time naming them or anything like that, and just feature a couple. You don't need to use the entire beastiary. Oh and for god's sake, I had better not hear the word "Sphere Grid" uttered anywhere in the movie. Not even as a nod to players. That's a game mechanic, not a narrative tool, and doesn't belong in a movie. Characters also stick to their iconic looks and tools. Tidus with his water sword, Yuna with her dreamcatcher-looking staff, and so on. They don't "level up" and they don't need to get new equipment. Lulu can still be a mage, she can have her moogle doll, but she doesn't need to call out or otherwise name her attacks (think Sypha in the Castlevania anime). Just because it's based on an RPG doesn't mean you need to shoehorn RPG elements in the movie.

Mention the religion, as it is a central driving motivation for Yuna and the Guardians, keep a couple of confontations with other summoners along the way (including Seymore, of course), but cut out the fights with Yunalesca and Yu Yevon, they're too weird and too much on the side of "killing god" which I feel would be too metaphysical for western audiences. Climax happens inside Sin and the fight with Jecht. The rest can be left unsaid.

Khimari's sub plot can be cut entirely, or even cut Khimari out completely unless you absolutely feel the movie needs a Chewbacca character. If he is kept in, his background stuff can be saved for supplementary merchandising/spin offs/whatever.

Rikku has a lot of appeal, so keep her in, but, similar to Khimari, the Al Bhed stuff can be relegated to background. Focus needs to stay on Yuna and Tidus.

The laughing scene is too iconic (or meme-y?) to omit, but we'd have to try to de-cheese it a little bit, if such a thing is possible.

Cut out the "dream of the Fayth" twist and instead just make it that, like Auron, Tidus was from ancient Zanarkand and dead all along. This was the original intent anyways and the only reason they changed it was because the Sixth Sense had just come out. We're far enough removed from that now and that twist can still be shocking. There's a precedent set previously with Auron, (and Seymore) so it won't come out of nowhere, it's easier for mainstream audiences to grok, and it's no less tragic for Yuna, especially if Tidus has to convince her to "send" him after they defeat Sin/Jecht so he doesn't turn into a fiend. Massive heartstring pulling potential in the denoument there.

In my mind, the main thematic focus would be on how to absolve oneself the "Sins of our Fathers" (of which Sin is a literal embodiment of, for both Yuna and Tidus), and the juxtaposition of the pointless and cruel nature of symbolic martyrdom versus true noble sacrifice.

Finally, of course, you gotta do the beach scene in the post-credits. That should get a pretty massive pop from any audience members who managed to get invested.

Oh, and if it's going to be Western-developed, I'm sorry, but his name should be Tide-us. That's how non-initiated westerners are going to read it and it's still perfectly thematically appropriate.

I'm sure there's more I could add, but I think this would be a good start.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Fry wrote: »
    Y'know, for all that people complain that XIII was all one big linear hallway (fair), it has only just now occurred to me that X is pretty much the same.

Most of that has to do with plot structure I think. In X, pretty explicitly, you are Tidus. You are not the entire main party, you don't have multiple sections where you control each faction to get them on their way. And Tidus..is not the leader! He's just along for the ride. So being a linear game where your destination is predetermined is much easier to swallow; of course you aren't deciding where to go, you wouldn't know and they do.

In XIII there's no direct audience analog and you're just watching everyone do their thing. So it takes a bit more to detach yourself from the "It's an RPG lemme go where I want!" mindset.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    edited January 2019

That was endlessly discussed when 13 came out actually.

The main thing was how it was broken up. 10 was a collection of smaller linear environments. But it still had towns and cities and down time.

The big thing with 13 was that it was basically always just moving forwards through the same type of those linear environments which made them seem more obvious and wear on people a bit more.

I enjoyed 13 but it was not the same as 10 in that regard.

I'm all for smaller set environments. KH style worlds and areas is what I love the best. But 13 was not quite that.

DemonStacey on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ilpala wrote: »

Most of that has to do with plot structure I think. In X, pretty explicitly, you are Tidus. You are not the entire main party, you don't have multiple sections where you control each faction to get them on their way. And Tidus..is not the leader! He's just along for the ride. So being a linear game where your destination is predetermined is much easier to swallow; of course you aren't deciding where to go, you wouldn't know and they do.

In XIII there's no direct audience analog and you're just watching everyone do their thing. So it takes a bit more to detach yourself from the "It's an RPG lemme go where I want!" mindset.

I would also add that X's plot is much more coherent.

That said, I wasn't a big fan of X because it was linear yet recognize that the plot is much stronger because of its linearity. So make of that what you will.

XIII is the only FF game I actively dislike. Good music though, but good music in a Final Fantasy game is basically the equivalent of the Free Space on a Bingo card.

The rest of the series I enjoyed to varying degrees.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Probably my favorite thing from my FFXV playthrough was the very end
    I didn't know what I was picking those photographs for, but I picked one of Prompto's shots of Cindy. So that's what Noct and Luna were looking at up in heaven or wherever they were.

Cindy Aurum: a mechanic so smokin', heavenly royalty sit upon their thrones and go "Nice."
    A picture of Cup Noodles is the only right choice.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Ff8 is probably my favorite ff game, but its really hard to play through it again. Knowing how to break the game in half makes me want to run from every battle i can, and do the seifer grind on the seed exam. The whole enemies scaling with you thing kinda makes playing it like every other game a huge detriment.

Also has there been any other word on the crystal chronicle or mystery dungeon releases other than in march for japan?

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Just met Omega in FFXV.

Talk about a shittily designed boss, jesus.

The new Cerberus boss seemed all right though.

Just trying to get the 2 last achievements out of the way.

Sirialis on
    edited January 2019
    Oooh, a mainline tier list... interesting idea.

Top: X, VI
    Near top: IV, VII, XIV (would be top tier, but Stormblood was 100% meh)
    Middle (basically, played but not finished because I got bored): V, XII
    Low: IX (loved the first continent, then it lost almost all of its charm and became a boring grind)
    Bottom: VIII (I hate high school melodrama and forced, poorly written romances)
    Kill it with fire: XV

Not played: I, II, III, XI, XIII

Nightslyr on
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    My tier list:

Will play through again and again: IV, XII, XIII
    Would play again multiple times, but not as much as the above: V, VI, X, X-2, XIII-2
    Greatly enjoyed my time, but I can wait before playing again: VII, VIII, IX, XV
    Enjoyed, but should actually finish: XIII-3
    Wish I enjoyed MMO: XIV
    Never played: I, II, III, XI

And also:

Pure crack, give me MORE: the 2 Theatrhythm games.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed X, and XIII. XV has issues, but I enjoyed my time with it. The end hits hard, but it definitely isn't as earned as it should have been. It's a mess of a game for sure.

I'd say X is my favorite for sure. 6, 7, 8, and 9 are all ok. I wouldn't replay them, but they weren't bad or anything.

5 I never finished, but have no interest in going back to.

4 is a bit too old for my tastes. It was fine when I played it, but it's an early SNES game and it shows.

1-3 are just unplayable to me. I tried the PS1 remade version of 1 and 2 and still didn't get very far.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Not counting the MMOs

Never played: 1, 2, 5

Not really a Final Fantasy game but I need more of them please Square, put them on Switch, even just the old ones, I don't need a new one really: Theatrhythm

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Just met Omega in FFXV.

Talk about a shittily designed boss, jesus.

The new Cerberus boss seemed all right though.

Just trying to get the 2 last achievements out of the way.

Was Omega the one that shoots lasers and beams and stuff? I hated that fight. The one on the big military base?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    9 will always be at the top of my list, because it's as much an homage to previous games as it is an entry in itself, so there's really something there for everyone. The worst part is how poorly optimized it is.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I really should try XII again. I quit because, early on, I somehow managed to spend all my money on a crafting item I wouldn't need for much later, and then I didn't have enough money for equipment upgrades I needed to survive the next section without endless grinding.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    9 is the best. Quina is the best. I want a romhack of 9 where everyone is Quina.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Hmmm...list time huh? Well having just beaten XV a couple months ago, I guess I should update mine...

S tier: VII, IX, X, XIV

A tier: Tactics

B tier: VI, XII, XIII

C tier: VIII, IV

D tier:

F tier: XV

Never played: I-III, V, XI

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'd have a hard time ranking them all, so instead I'll do this.

FF games I often replay;

IV, VI, VII, VIII, XII. While it hasn't really been long enough for me to start replaying XV yet I semi-regularly load up my save and faff about in it.

FF games I played once and never touched again, but have a generally positive feeling towards;

V, IX, X

FF game I could happily go my whole life without ever remembering exists;

XIII

List does not include the ones I haven't played, spinoffs, MMOs, or sequels (such as they are).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    SSS Rank: Final Fantasy: All the Bravest

SS Rank: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Unranked poop garbage: Literally every other Final Fantasy game.

Don't @ me.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    @Skull2186 Consider this a warning shot.