As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I believe cinematics are in the vault section.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Shelled out to get mario odyssey while i recover from surgery.

Holy shit this game is so damn GOOD. I'm having such a blast just going "Hey, i wonder if..." "Yup. Treasure."

(My favourite has been doing something that would surely kill me in most games, and instead it dumped me into a room full of gold and a moon.)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Welp. I bought Aaero, immediately hated it, played for 15 minutes just to make sure.

...what do you mean there's no refund policy.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Welp. I bought Aaero, immediately hated it, played for 15 minutes just to make sure.

...what do you mean there's no refund policy.

This is why I try to read up and learn about games before I buy them

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Damn, I love the hell out of Aaero.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    How is The Gardens Between?

It's pretty great but it's about 2 and a half hours long (howlongtobeat average and I agree).

There are some really cool puzzle designs and "aha" moments, but it's not super groundbreakingly awesome.

Presentation is really good though, the graphics and sound and everything, it's extremely polished.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Ah fuck, Hollow Knight went on sale the day after I bought it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Ah fuck, Hollow Knight went on sale the day after I bought it.

Those about to buy it thank you for your sacrifice.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Sorting through my shelves, I found out I have EIGHTEEN Switch games just physically. What the hell. I think it was easier when Nintendo had no games.

As part of the holidays I got both Diablo 3 and Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I have a few questions...

1. Diablo 3, when I boot it up, keeps asking me if I want to install a language pack, as I'm in Australia so it sees me as UK English. Is there any reason to install this since I'm fluent in English? Does it add anything else to the standard game?

And is there anyway to rewatch story videos? There's a weird glitch where if you hit the home button while media is playing (video or just talking) it stops it, so when I hit home to grab my headphones for the opening cinematic I came back to find it skipped.

2. For monhun, I started and was very quickly overwhelmed, couldn't see how to change weapons, the quest I accepted was unclear, and I was wiped out by a Dino that bounced on their tail. Is there a good primer for this game anyone can recommend? And should I download all the DLC right away?

For Monhun, I recommend heading over to the Monster Hunter thread, everyone's super chill there and I'm sure they'll be stoked to help you out, we love initiating newbies.

Switch Monhun is a spin off of the last Monhun generation on DS. Monster Hunter World is the new generation and does a lot to address the interface wonkiness of the older Monhuns, but that's not out on Switch right now. Anyways, won't flood this thread with the deets, I'll just say that Monhun does have a pretty steep learning cruve, but if you can climb it, I think you'll find it super rewarding.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Hey how is Tiny Metal? I know there was controversy about its development and release but is the actual game good?

If you are looking for something to scratch an Advance Wars type itch I highly recommend at least checking out Into The Breach.

Completing the various challenges in the game is extremely rewarding and its very much a series of punishing puzzles.

Edit: And it might still be on sale?

Purchased this on sale a few weeks ago but finally dove in this weekend. It is living up to the hype, and after you get used to the controls (I feel like I have rarely had to discern between L+R/ZL+ZR or X+Y in my Switch games, but this one has me constantly fumbling or looking down), it's a pretty masterful UI. So much information presented so cleanly (and with so much clear art to explain exactly how things work, rather than ambiguous text).

I don't yet love it as much as FTL, which I adored on PC, but it's a different kind of game. Rather than sitting down for one long run, I'm picking up my Switch and putting it down after each collection of missions - so I haven't even used the new squads I've unlocked just yet. I assume that it's going to really shine once I start trying new squads and mixing and matching units.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    They really need to sort their shit out on the build quality of their joycons. As someone that plays exclusively in handheld mode I'm on my third set of joycons already. It's been the left joycon every time. Super frustrating.

• Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    You can buy individual Joycon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Of all the fish-controlled medieval robot games.... this is the first?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

That's not a super great solve to them always breaking however.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Of all the fish-controlled medieval robot games.... this is the first?

So I read fish-controlled and immediately thought of a wall full of fish tanks being monitored by cameras to control some sort of AI intelligence in the game.

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved now that I know what it is.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Speaking of underwater creatures, I remembered a game called Fight Crab was being developed by the maker(s) of Ace of Seafood, wondered what became of that -- oh hey a trailer was released in September:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lr_UBHVgmo

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The Humble bundle team just announced that Nintendo is now selling digital games for Switch and 3ds via the Humble store. Now you can support charities while purchasing your favorite Nintendo titles.

nusu on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    The Humble bundle team just announced that Nintendo is now selling digital games for Switch and 3ds via the Humble store. Now you can support charities while purchasing your favorite Nintendo titles.

And hopefully soon it will mean humble bundles for switch/3ds!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There was a bundle a few years back for Wii U and 3DS, and it was friggin' great.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

especially not at £70 a pop

at that price i expect my grandchildren to still be using these things

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I just had the switch for a month and am looking for a good dungeon crawler on the switch.
    I have Zelda, Pokémon let's go and overcooked. Overcooked is a lot of fun to play with wife and the kid.
    But now I want to get my hack n slash or magic slinging on. Any good recommendations?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I just had the switch for a month and am looking for a good dungeon crawler on the switch.
    I have Zelda, Pokémon let's go and overcooked. Overcooked is a lot of fun to play with wife and the kid.
    But now I want to get my hack n slash or magic slinging on. Any good recommendations?

Moonlighter, Hyper Light Drifter, Dead Cells all come to mind pretty quickly. I'm sure there are more.

Oh, duh, Diablo.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

How do you feel about Metroidvanias? If you like them, Hollow Knight is a blast. I recommend looking into reviews for it, though, as there are some things in it that rub people the wrong way (the map system in particular.).

How about Roguelikes/lites? There's a lot of those that are great. I personally love Dead Cells. Wizard of Legend is another that people love, but I haven't played it myself.

There's also Moonlighter, which is a dungeon crawler/shop sim, where you delve into dungeons to grab loot to sell in your store, and then you use the money earned to buy better equipment to delve into harder dungeons.

Cruor on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Diablo III is as hack n' slashy as it gets.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    They really need to sort their shit out on the build quality of their joycons. As someone that plays exclusively in handheld mode I'm on my third set of joycons already. It's been the left joycon every time. Super frustrating.
    What problems have you encountered? Has it been the same thing with each left JoyCon?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    KoopahTroopah

Diablo III is as hack n' slashy as it gets.

Why you @ me, bro?

Also yes I agree with both Cruor and Dresden. Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Moonlighter, and D3 are all great choices.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Labyrinth of Refrain is a "gridder" where you have a party that you navigate through a maze, fighting enemies and levelling up. There are anime boobs and corresponding juvenile content, and the majority of the player decisions are about character creation/party setup/equipment rather than actual fights in the dungeon, so it's not for everyone.

Fry on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Thank you for the recommendations!
    I'll start with dead cells!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular

Why you @ me, bro?

Also yes I agree with both Cruor and Dresden. Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Moonlighter, and D3 are all great choices.
    Just keepin' you on your toes.
    1*snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Delduwath wrote: »
    What problems have you encountered? Has it been the same thing with each left JoyCon?

My last one would intermittently stop registering pushing left on the analog stick. My first one was just totally fucked after almost a year with drifting occurring in every direction/random cutouts of the analog stick registering all direction. In short, each time its been the analog stick in some form.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    So this is the most recent news I can find on Terraria, from roughly 12/17:
    The Switch version has successfully hit another new production milestone, which included a bunch of UI modifications based on feedback from Re-Logic. We plan on showcasing additional information about the UI in the future.

While we’re still doing some in-depth testing, we’ve successfully connected 8 Switch development kits together in local wireless multiplayer.

On top of that the team has been making additional modifications to the controls for the Joy-Cons and Pro Controller - which will be supported. It’s important to note that the game will not support a single Joy-Con input mode. These refinements have really helped improve the feel of the game regardless of your controller preference.

We also wanted to confirm that the current plan is to support 30 worlds & 30 characters in the Switch version, though that is subject to change

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-state-of-the-game-december-2018.74866/

Anyone have anything more recent than that?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Ah, I see that one brought up most often. The only issue I ever had was with the left JoyCon seemingly not registering with the console when it was snapped in. So, the console thought one JoyCon was connected and one wasn't. Pressing the bottom of the JoyCon away from myself (so it would shift a fraction of a millimeter inside the rail) would fix it, but inevitably it would shift again and lose connection. This was right before the warranty would expire, so I just sent the whole thing to Nintendo and it came back fixed - but a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the problem seems to have come back again. It seems like a loose contact, but it's not clear if it's between the JoyCon and the console, something inside the JoyCon, or something inside the console.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah aren't there mods for the left joycon because apparently the Bluetooth adapter in it is shite? I seem to remember that.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    The Switch version has successfully hit another new production milestone, which included a bunch of UI modifications based on feedback from Re-Logic. We plan on showcasing additional information about the UI in the future.

While we’re still doing some in-depth testing, we’ve successfully connected 8 Switch development kits together in local wireless multiplayer.

On top of that the team has been making additional modifications to the controls for the Joy-Cons and Pro Controller - which will be supported. It’s important to note that the game will not support a single Joy-Con input mode. These refinements have really helped improve the feel of the game regardless of your controller preference.

We also wanted to confirm that the current plan is to support 30 worlds & 30 characters in the Switch version, though that is subject to change

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-state-of-the-game-december-2018.74866/

Yeah they mentioned development being moved back towards Switch in their cancellation of Terraria 2 during early 2018, in the comments of one of their articles.

It would take a year to dig up though.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

Yeah they mentioned development being moved back towards Switch in their cancellation of Terraria 2 during early 2018, in the comments of one of their articles.

It would take a year to dig up though.

I meant 12/17/2018.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Moonlighter, Hyper Light Drifter, Dead Cells all come to mind pretty quickly. I'm sure there are more.

Oh, duh, Diablo.

Don't forget Skyrim!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Had my first "major" death in Hollow Knight; lost about 400 of whatever the currency is called. It was in a room that was nearly pitch-black and also full of spikes. Navigating it was annoying enough, but dying and then having to fight that spirit guy to get your stuff back was even more annoying, and I died again. Decided to ignore that room entirely after that and went off in the opposite direction. That went a lot better, ended up with more than the 400 that I lost and I got the dash cloak thingy.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

A single Joycon should definitely not be £70. I wasn't saying buying a replacement is the only or best solution. Just that you don't have to buy two to replace one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Had my first "major" death in Hollow Knight; lost about 400 of whatever the currency is called. It was in a room that was nearly pitch-black and also full of spikes. Navigating it was annoying enough, but dying and then having to fight that spirit guy to get your stuff back was even more annoying, and I died again. Decided to ignore that room entirely after that and went off in the opposite direction. That went a lot better, ended up with more than the 400 that I lost and I got the dash cloak thingy.

Regarding the dark area
    From memory there should be a lantern item to help with that. I don't believe there is any real need to head in that direction early in the game

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

A single Joycon should definitely not be £70. I wasn't saying buying a replacement is the only or best solution. Just that you don't have to buy two to replace one.

They look to be between $64 and $69 here in Canada. They are definitely not cheap.