As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    Collaboration spaces are great, however a lot of work (software development, writing, focused analysis etc.) benefits or relies on uninterrupted flow, which open offices largely prevent from happening. Ideally, people have cubes or desks, but have the option to occupy open team rooms or sections (temp walls with sound absorbers) as they see fit.
    The reality of open office trends is that in pure green dollar terms you save a ton as you can hit 150-200% stack rate vs traditional office spacing.

Nothing like working on what's essentially an algebraic word problem for 50 minutes to have someone come in and interrupt me for 8 minutes and lose my train of thought.

You're also a working without a pm or engineering manager or any other devs, right?

Kinda limits the opportunities for effective collaboration when everyone who could possibly interact with you at the office is in a completely different line of work and understands yours not at all.

Currently yes. I've worked in a few offices with other developers and developer adjacent workers too though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I do not generally find collaboration to be very useful, and when I do need it I go and seek it out.

I want this embroidered on a pillow for my desk.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    @Solar interruptions can occur in non-open as well, but are nowhere near as common as in open. In the open office I get distracted by shreds of conversations if I don't have headphones on. It's quite obnoxious.

That is not my experience, but then I don't tend to have a problem working in a more busy environment.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Today I am subbing at the high school for Language Arts & Social Studies.

Half of the classes are studying Greek mythology for the first time. They are split up into groups and each have a character to research before giving a presentation.

One group told me they have Achilles and I asked them if they had done any research into his relationships.

And those high school boys got so god damn awkward, it was a delight.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    They are now ripping out the hallway that led to the staff lounge connected to the library to add it to the old mailroom to make a new, incredibly tiny, classroom. The one upside is that the lamination machine got moved to the new main office so no we don't have to laminate anything for anyone anymore.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My old open plan office had a headphone rule, where you were not allowed to talk to people who had headphones on. It only really worked if you were able to be shockingly rude to people who tried to break it, which is why it worked really well for Icy and really badly for me.

What ever happened to Icy?

I'm pretty sure they're still fairly high up at Vanilla?

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yep, https://vanillaforums.com/en/about-us/

(Check the twitters, he's the 3rd one down)

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm working on a client's computer that they filled to the brim with malware and I can hear Fox News blaring downstairs while the guy cheers on Trump.

Someone please send help.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Week two of the new year, we don't know if we have any money or not, but we haven't been sent home. Timesheets are being taken by HR. So... holding pattern.

We have one of the few things we must continue doing without budget coming up next week with about 8 high importance items needing approval from our faculty director, who we texted and told us that they are on vacation and we are ruining their time and need to respect them more, despite getting regular and frequent work texts from them literally every night and even on christmas day last year.

Pretty much all of us here have reached the "no shits to give" line of our jobs. Some of people have taken on second jobs anticipating losing their positions. All the student workers save one have been formally laid off.

I've been granted a 30 minute audience with our faculty director by phone tomorrow, we'll see if that leads to us getting our needed work done or more full stop things.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm working on a client's computer that they filled to the brim with malware and I can hear Fox News blaring downstairs while the guy cheers on Trump.

Install even more malware.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Deep format their hard drive five times, install Windows ME, charge them $16k.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Deep format their hard drive five times, install Windows ME, charge them $16k.

Microsoft Bob.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Week two of the new year, we don't know if we have any money or not, but we haven't been sent home. Timesheets are being taken by HR. So... holding pattern.

We have one of the few things we must continue doing without budget coming up next week with about 8 high importance items needing approval from our faculty director, who we texted and told us that they are on vacation and we are ruining their time and need to respect them more, despite getting regular and frequent work texts from them literally every night and even on christmas day last year.

Pretty much all of us here have reached the "no shits to give" line of our jobs. Some of people have taken on second jobs anticipating losing their positions. All the student workers save one have been formally laid off.

I've been granted a 30 minute audience with our faculty director by phone tomorrow, we'll see if that leads to us getting our needed work done or more full stop things.

Man, fuck that dude. If he had done his job, he wouldn't be being bothered.
    Also: still of the opinion you guys should just walk and leave them with the shitstorm.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Install even more malware.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SQUEEZE MUCH MORE ON HERE.

Holy fuck this is so bad. And the usual
    1- it's my business computer
    2- no I don't do backups
    3- I never installed that!

Grrrrrrrr.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ugh good luck Enc! Were all rooting for you!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I’m at lunch picking up my teenage son at high school. How loud should I play Bobby Brown from my yellow Beetle to thoroughly embarrass him?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I’m at lunch picking up my teenage son at high school. How loud should I play Bobby Brown from my yellow Beetle to thoroughly embarrass him?

All the way to 11.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Time to spruce up my resume. My manager would like me to apply for a senior position that just opened up.

steam_sig.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    They're interviewing internally today for my boss's replacement (she's retiring in June). Only 3 candidates: one of our own APs who we want to get it, an AP that's split between the lower buildings, and an AP from the middle school.

I've heard good things about the AP from the middle school and nothing about the other one. Everyone in the building is hoping our own AP just gets promoted because we don't want big changes to go down.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I just experienced the most insane meeting of my career.

My company does this extremely frivolous and insulting thing every January, called the [Company name] Oscars, in which they ask for employees to submit videos about...I'm not totally sure, because all the promo material is in Chinese and they didn't bother to translate any of it this year, but probably something related to the company's core values, about which the less said the better--though I will mention that one of them is "client value".

As you might expect, the US branch of this company, whose stated purpose and model is to reduce all tech labor to "unskilled" factory work, and therefore employs overqualified and overworked people for subsistence wages, does not observe overwhelming excitement for this project. Someone in HR decided this was embarrassing, and decided that the correct course of action is to drag a bunch of very busy people into a meeting and demand that we "volunteer" people to make videos. Or, I should say, they tried to do this, but only myself and one other guy actually showed up (I only came because my boss is on vacation and she asked that I represent her in this matter). That other guy's team, by the way, is made up entirely of remote piecework contractors.

I have never seen someone be told in so numerous and delicate methods by three different people that they're having a stupid idea, that nobody will do it, and fail to hear a single word that anyone was saying.

If Mike Judge were dead, I'd say his ghost was in the room with us.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I just experienced the most insane meeting of my career.

My company does this extremely frivolous and insulting thing every January, called the [Company name] Oscars, in which they ask for employees to submit videos about...I'm not totally sure, because all the promo material is in Chinese and they didn't bother to translate any of it this year, but probably something related to the company's core values, about which the less said the better--though I will mention that one of them is "client value".

As you might expect, the US branch of this company, whose stated purpose and model is to reduce all tech labor to "unskilled" factory work, and therefore employs overqualified and overworked people for subsistence wages, does not observe overwhelming excitement for this project. Someone in HR decided this was embarrassing, and decided that the correct course of action is to drag a bunch of very busy people into a meeting and demand that we "volunteer" people to make videos. Or, I should say, they tried to do this, but only myself and one other guy actually showed up (I only came because my boss is on vacation and she asked that I represent her in this matter). That other guy's team, by the way, is made up entirely of remote piecework contractors.

I have never seen someone be told in so numerous and delicate methods by three different people that they're having a stupid idea, that nobody will do it, and fail to hear a single word that anyone was saying.

If Mike Judge were dead, I'd say his ghost was in the room with us.

pocket sand is the correct answer in this situation

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Shoe's on the other foot today. Coworker called out so I'm working alone behind the bank's cash line. 5 hours in and I've already completed 230 transactions. 3 more hours to go.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Still nothing about that promotion, ran into the guy today and we had a little small talk. I didn't bring it up because he told me the job will post sometime in January and he would email when its posted or if anything changes and were only 7 days into the month. I keep telling myself to be professional and patient....but its so hard.

First budget news, looks like we can keep our full time people through June. So that's good. Probably can keep the phones on and printer filled with ink, but not much else.

As for what next fiscal year will look like come July, looks were grim and answers were withheld "as we have enough to think about right now," which is beurocratic-tongue for very bad.

I will temper that with a statement that I will be meeting with our budget and admin people (just me, not our admin) sometime this week or next about "changes" which is about as nerve wracking as something can be.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's important when working on a big writing project to split it into small chunks. I am so adept at this process that I am sometimes able to create chunks so small that they do not even contain any words

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Planck chunks

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited January 2019
    It's important when working on a big writing project to split it into small chunks. I am so adept at this process that I am sometimes able to create chunks so small that they do not even contain any words

just get Jerry to do it, I doubt he's got anything on his plate.

3cl1ps3 on

alt: Ah yes the Riemann writing method.

who do you think assigned it to me

oh I figured it was something you were at least working on with him, if not for him :D

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Xeno's Paragraph.

To write a sentence, first you must create the universe.

To write a universe, first you must create a paragraph.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Amex having this government shutdown protection is great. Already enrolled two card members into it so far today. Glad I don't have to tell them they are screwed.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    To create a paragraph, first you must create coffee.

I wish I could do this. I have read this repeatedly as being the best way to do things, but then it's where do I start with that and which chunk is the important chunk and ugh.

Goose! wrote: »

I wish I could do this. I have read this repeatedly as being the best way to do things, but then it's where do I start with that and which chunk is the important chunk and ugh.

Put literally anything onto the page. Start writing an opening sentence that doesn't work. Write "Once, Upon a Time".

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    2 hours to go. Ugh, it's Monday. It feels like forever since I've had a full week. Probably because it's been 3 weeks since I have?

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Man my work is like disturbingly laid back. I literally told my boss I wanted to come in late on thursday so I can hit the gym in the morning so I can make it to some plans in the evening without missing the lift I should be hitting thursday... that's how i got the clearance to come in late thursday so that i can make the gym in the morning, the work new year's/ holiday celebration in the afternoon, and a Pathfinder session at night.

This discussion has been closed.