As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Doomguy moveset would be awesome though! Different guns for special moves - double shotgun down b, rocket neutral b, side b plasma gun 3 shot burst (can be angled slightly up or down) rocket jump for up-b, chainsaw smash attacks, BFG final smash! :D

Costume colors alternate between classic doom guy and modern doom guy like Cloud has the two costumes etc. Man I'm going to be disappointed when this doesn't happen, haha.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Doom moveset
    Up B Rocket jump
    Side B Grapple shotgun( hooks drags in then fires)
    B - pistol
    Down B- sniper rifle( charges like arrows can be aimed)

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    In fairness though (though no quality that would deny entrance) mincraft character is just a means to an end. They’ve no personality. Plus they’d be boring to animate.

Edit: By personality I mean fun little details and emotions, not story arcs and dialog. I know Mario’s never spoken but he still conveys a personality.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I can’t wait to find out the next dlc character is actually Tails and his final smash is shooting up the stage with his red biplane.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I just hope leaks continue to be debunked, because they've pretty much all been very bad so far

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    If they were going to do doomguy I would have rathered they put him first to provide the widest field for all future speculation

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I just hope leaks continue to be debunked, because they've pretty much all been very bad so far

Doomguy is bad!? Blasphemy.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    With the Fighter's Pass stretching out the DLC character releases until February 2020, I wonder if that really means that they've set their DLC picks in stone. Kind of feels like they can hold off on locking in DLC #4 and #5 for a while if they're really having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for Minecraft Steve, or Doomguy.

Ryu Hayabusa is a worthwhile pick in terms of nostalgia-hype, but I feel like he could play a lot like Greninja. Shuriken as neutral, teleports for air or side recovery. Maybe have a bullshit eagle attack as homage to countless deaths from NG1.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The one reason I would sigh at Minecraft Steve is because... he's not a character. He's just the generic character avatar for a game that's primarily played in first person anyways. There's absolutely nothing to him.

And I realize that's a really silly thing to say! Because the exact reasoning can be applied to Villager, or Pokemon Trainer. Hell, one of Smash's modus operandi has been giving character and charm to characters that otherwise had next to none. We're getting a fuckin' piranah plant! And even though the likes of Doom Guy and the Skyrim protagonist fit the exact same description, I would also more prefer them than Minecraft Steve.

I dunno, that's just me. I'd just shrug my shoulders and move on, no point throwing a wobbler over it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    With the Fighter's Pass stretching out the DLC character releases until February 2020, I wonder if that really means that they've set their DLC picks in stone. Kind of feels like they can hold off on locking in DLC #4 and #5 for a while if they're really having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for Minecraft Steve, or Doomguy.

Ryu Hayabusa is a worthwhile pick in terms of nostalgia-hype, but I feel like he could play a lot like Greninja. Shuriken as neutral, teleports for air or side recovery. Maybe have a bullshit eagle attack as homage to countless deaths from NG1.

I still don't understand how Doomguy is a bad choice or "scraping the bottom of the barrel" as you put? He is the main protagonist in a beloved game series that pretty much paved the way for modern FPSs. Is it because he isn't from a Japanese IP?

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

If Ryu Hayabusa makes it and doesn't have that giant star that continually boomerangs then what is the point? I would also be in for orange shadow buddies.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Doom moveset
    Up B Rocket jump
    B - pistol

BFG or GTFO

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    The one reason I would sigh at Minecraft Steve is because... he's not a character. He's just the generic character avatar for a game that's primarily played in first person anyways. There's absolutely nothing to him.

And I realize that's a really silly thing to say! Because the exact reasoning can be applied to Villager, or Pokemon Trainer. Hell, one of Smash's modus operandi has been giving character and charm to characters that otherwise had next to none. We're getting a fuckin' piranah plant! And even though the likes of Doom Guy and the Skyrim protagonist fit the exact same description, I would also more prefer them than Minecraft Steve.

I dunno, that's just me. I'd just shrug my shoulders and move on, no point throwing a wobbler over it.

Steve even has a default name, which is more than can be said for Villager and Inkling.

The problem with including Steve is that his model is incredibly ugly and you can't really update it with losing the iconic Minecraft feel.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »
    Doom moveset
    Up B Rocket jump
    B - pistol

BFG or GTFO

Smash.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Wasn't Minecraft Story Mode a thing? Was Steve a character in that?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Villager doesn't have a name, but you at least get a sense of what their canon personality is by the other characters in town.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Villager doesn't have a name, but you at least get a sense of what their canon personality is by the other characters in town.
    131.png

• Options

I still don't understand how Doomguy is a bad choice or "scraping the bottom of the barrel" as you put? He is the main protagonist in a beloved game series that pretty much paved the way for modern FPSs. Is it because he isn't from a Japanese IP?

Scraping the bottom of the barrel might be a bit harsh. And didn't he get a proper name in the comics or something? Flynn? Though when they made the Doom movie, he was called Rick.

I think I'm having a hard time working his whole character into the world of Smash, which is weird, because I didn't really have that much of a disconnect with Snake. Futuristic weaponry obviously can work in Smash because of Snake and Samus. It just feels like the weirdest entry of the possibilities because Snake was at least developed by Japan, whereas Doom is 100% Western, and not at all where I imagine Japanese devs to want to borrow a character from.

Which makes the idea that much more appealing to Sakurai and Nintendo of America to approach and push for getting at least one western game rep in Smash.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    “Minecraft” as a whole entity could be a nice assist trophy though.

Like maybe a bunch of cubes of dirt & rock spawn in an open space, then the guy pickaxes it all away. If the pickaxe hits you you’re done for, but it’s easily avoided.

Rarely when you think the guy is gonna turn up it’s a creeper instead and all the cubes get blown up.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Scraping the bottom of the barrel might be a bit harsh. And didn't he get a proper name in the comics or something? Flynn? Though when they made the Doom movie, he was called Rick.

I think I'm having a hard time working his whole character into the world of Smash, which is weird, because I didn't really have that much of a disconnect with Snake. Futuristic weaponry obviously can work in Smash because of Snake and Samus. It just feels like the weirdest entry of the possibilities because Snake was at least developed by Japan, whereas Doom is 100% Western, and not at all where I imagine Japanese devs to want to borrow a character from.

Which makes the idea that much more appealing to Sakurai and Nintendo of America to approach and push for getting at least one western game rep in Smash.

Speak not of such heresy!

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I'd be shocked if they weren't set in stone before the fighter's pass was announced. Not only do you have to do the character model, moves, animation etc. you have to factor in time some back-and-forth with the license-holder. They ultimately approve EVERYTHING about that character, from the way they throw a punch to the design of the stage to the music. And of course it has to be balanced and polished to a gleam for this series. Even if the license-holder isn't a pain in the ass (hi Squeenix!) anything less than a year of development sounds risky.
    Wasn't Minecraft Story Mode a thing? Was Steve a character in that?

Nope, it was an original character called Jesse. But he was less ugly than Steve and voiced by Patton Oswalt, so now I desperately want Jesse in Smash.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DOOM might be a better assist too.

Imagine Doom Guy blasting down on hellfire, gunning his way to the other side and slamming any fighter he passes into the ground before rocket jumping away.

It’d keep his badass status without going the whole hog on a character.

He’d only end up as a Samus clone anyways I bet.

• Options
    Oh man, never mind Doomguy. I'm getting myself excited for a Doom stage.

Imagine the futuristic Mars research facility, with everything wrecked, fire in the background, broken machinery throwing out sparks, maybe a big window with the red Mars landscape with demons zipping around, and then BOOM a big explosion blows a hole in the side and collapses the platforms, and then some imps show up randomly throw off fireballs like FROOOSH, and all this time hardcore metals blaring DAH NAH DAH NAH CHIGACHIGACHIGACHIGA WRROOOWWWWWWW

It would be kinda neat is what I'm saying.

• Options
    I’ll accept it only if badly translated lyrics sung by a Japanese man happens in the middle of the track.

Come to fight demon misfortune!
    Mars Facility shotgun to your face!
    Here he is—Doom Slayer, pro player!
    Great justice to all of demon scary scary now!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Doom moveset
    Up B Rocket jump
    B - pistol

BFG or GTFO

Final smash

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Now imagine those lyrics as sung by a girl idol group. Or vocaloid.

Love me, Rocket ❤️💖❤️
    Bang! Bang! Boom!
    Love me, Rocket ❤️💖❤️
    From Mars to the Moon!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Anything that complicates licenses for tournaments is probably a bad thing overall for the game. So I hope any DLC character comes from rights holders that aren't insane about their IP.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Ah, okay, that makes sense.
    Dracil wrote: »
    Anything that complicates licenses for tournaments is probably a bad thing overall for the game. So I hope any DLC character comes from rights holders that aren't insane about their IP.

This is a big one, too. I'm all for throwing in crazy characters out of leftfield, but if it creates any of the same hardship DBFZ is currently causing for tournament organizers, then I say keep them out.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    But while I’ve got this new phone app for messing with colours...

Doom Slayer joins that battle!
    I figured I’d use the 2016 design as the Eternal look is a bit extreme for Smash.

I tried to pick looks Doom Guy would actually use for his alts, so nothing too fancy.
    t1ezl1q0gccr.png
    alyxadcaw7g6.jpeg
    e5zofd8etq6o.jpeg
    q07nd9u34606.jpeg
    l8cjia4yz4pj.jpeg
    tps8ymee6nab.jpeg
    4nxn36jhd6zs.jpeg

Edit: Also as a reference to Quake Arena each alt would have different colour weapon fire.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'd freaking love Doomguy, just because it'd be so out of left field, and so hilariously tonally weird. And tonally werid fights are smashes JAM, so i am here to see him attempt to chainsaw everyone, only to get beaten up by a small dog and a fitness trainer, plus some weird turtle baby in an even weirder mech suit.

(Suddenly though, i cant help but feel that Doomguy and Bayonetta would get along really well. Platnium games, Id games, you know what you have to do. Give us the ultimate crossover)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I mean, the soundtrack for Doomguy alone should put him in the running, especially if they focus on Mick Gordon's work. You don't need to heavily edit or remix that stuff to make good fight music. Just cut it down for time.

I expect at least one Japanese composer to remix E1M1 though. Actually, do we expect ANY remixes or just original tracks?

edzepp on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I'd rather they called him "Minecrafter" or something and do a lot of male/female alt skins. "Steve" is the dumb name Notch made up.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    I mean, the soundtrack for Doomguy alone should put him in the running, especially if they focus on Mick Gordon's work. You don't need to heavily edit or remix that stuff to make good fight music. Just cut it down for time.

I expect at least one Japanese composer to remix E1M1 though. Actually, do we expect ANY remixes or just original tracks?
    But the perfect E1M1 remix already exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQs48dvebck

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I'd rather they called him "Minecrafter" or something and do a lot of male/female alt skins. "Steve" is the dumb name Notch made up.

That's way worse, and also Captain America would like to have a word with you.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

That's way worse, and also Captain America would like to have a word with you.

They can also just call the main guy Steve, and have different names for each alternate. They already do that with Bowser Jr. and Olimar, would fit in just fine.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    is he actually labeled steve anywhere in game and if so is he steve in all regions

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edzepp wrote: »

Who knows. There were some remixes in the Smash 4 DLC, though not many. It's possible the IP madness of this stuff will encourage more remixes, but a company could always pull a Squeenix and get pissy.

...I mean, if we get Minecraft it would pretty much HAVE to be remix-heavy, since those tunes make elevator music sound head-banging.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    is he actually labeled steve anywhere in game and if so is he steve in all regions

the skin is only named in the code I think
    e: no I'm wrong apparently "a name suggested by Notch as a joke but later confirmed in the "change skin" menu on minecraft.net and in-game as the default name in Bedrock Edition" according to a minecraft wiki

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    By Doomguy they better mean Doomguy and not that newfangled Doomslayer.

Besides I don't think you can even do the Doomslayer justice in a T rated game.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Or maybe have the cyberdemon instead of doomguy.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
This discussion has been closed.