As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Down Deep

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Down Deep

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I'm surprised Tycho didn't notice Gabe's just ripping off Veggie Tales.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Soilomancers are old news. Hydropontiffs are where it's at.

steam_sig.png
  • OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    I can see Gabe continuing to make stuff up about this campaign just to keep Tycho off his back.

T: "Here's an entire campaign for you"
    G: "For Mouse Guard right?"
    T: "Oh... OHHHHHH...." *goes off to write something 20x longer*

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • PohtHehdPohtHehd Registered User regular
    The proper term would not be "soil-omancy" but "soil-o-mancy" or "soil-mancy". "Omancy" isn't a proper morpheme.

Also, soilomancy is being made-up to describe something which is already being described by the not-made-up word geomancy. You might make the argument that soilomancy is a much more specific section of geomancy; one that specifically deals with soils. But, I would call that a pedantic and trivial stance to defend a pretty stupid made-up word.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    You might be overthinking this

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    PohtHehd wrote: »
    Also, soilomancy is being made-up to describe something which is already being described by the not-made-up word geomancy. You might make the argument that soilomancy is a much more specific section of geomancy; one that specifically deals with soils. But, I would call that a pedantic and trivial stance to defend a pretty stupid made-up word.

I was under the impression that geomancy is about leylines and such rather than about material earth.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I was under the impression that geomancy is about leylines and such rather than about material earth.

Even if it wasn't, geomancy as in the above post is just earthbending.

Soilomancy is about creating nurturing substrates for your farming.

A process that has clearly gone awry in Gabe's campaign.

steam_sig.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Wikipedia thinks it's about using soil (or other earth) to predict the future.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The proper term would not be "soil-omancy" but "soil-o-mancy" or "soil-mancy". "Omancy" isn't a proper morpheme.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Sorry, that just seemed more appropriate than a reasoned critique.)

dennis on
  • FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    I'm surprised Tycho didn't notice Gabe's just ripping off Veggie Tales.

I was gonna say...

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

So the TruGreen guy that comes around and says I need more nitrogen to avoid brown spots is a geomancer?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »

So the TruGreen guy that comes around and says I need more nitrogen to avoid brown spots is a geomancer?

He is now and he is now the BBEG.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I read a lot, I mean, a lot of fiction. A lot of funny stuff. And I enjoy none of it so much as I enjoy Jerry's writing.
    What a fun trip to the dentist. The right side of my head is an infinite, furrowed perturbation, sown with thousands of abraded teeth. The left side of my head is the anchor that keeps me from leaving the Earth.