As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Oh my god that video.
    The music that starts when he's chasing you how he seems to shrug off every attack and just keep stalking you now THAT is horror. Also that zombie just snacking on that dude was comedy gold claire runs by with X following Zombie looks up then just goes "Fuck that." and goes back to nomming

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Regarding the scariness discussed on the last page, I always thought the games were more "creepy" than scary. (With the exception of the occasional jump scare.)

But Resident Evil 7 in VR... that scared the crap out of me.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    After Revelations 2 and Resident Evil 7, I finally feel comfortable giving a company a deluxe edition price for the first time in years. Remake 2 looks damn good, and I like having the original soundtrack option, and the alternate costumes. Dunno if I'll touch the guns till new game+, but I know some friends will want to play it and appreciate the leg up.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's entirely subjective, but I've never found the Resident Evil games to be particularly scary--though I would note, because of the age of the RE1 and RE2, their "scariness" is directly related to how frustrating their controls are, as in, "This only scared me because I can't turn worth a damn to respond." I'm not sure if Resident Evil 4 is so much less scary, to me, because I was older when I played it, or if because the controls are far less frustrating.

It's by go-to example, but Layers of Fear is a "scary" game to me--not the scariest, by any means. Notably, there are only a scant few sections where you can actually "die" (resetting to a checkpoint, though admittedly it does directly impact which ending you can get--the rest of the game is purely non-punitive exploration. Fearing death (and losing progress) rather than fearing actual story elements strikes me as less scary. I don't find RE7 after the introduction/your initial escape scary for tha treason.

Not really expecting RE2's remake to be scary so much as surprising (being practically a genre shift for the original), but very excited about it having competent shooting controls.

Now it's different, but the first time I played through RE, there were quite a few tense moments and scary scenes. Playing it late at night with the lights off, one and 2 were fun and tense to play through, and the first time I felt an inkling of fear during a game.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Resident Evil has also mainly been creepy/fun for me. This game looks like it might actually be scary from seeing the police station so dark and all you have is a flashlight, but that also seems like its going to get old quick and I'm going to be frustrated I can't get a better look at the fancy remade version of one of my favorite locales.

Now Alien Isolation. That game fucking scared me in its beginning.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    After Revelations 2 and Resident Evil 7, I finally feel comfortable giving a company a deluxe edition price for the first time in years. Remake 2 looks damn good, and I like having the original soundtrack option, and the alternate costumes. Dunno if I'll touch the guns till new game+, but I know some friends will want to play it and appreciate the leg up.

I had the same reasoning. I probably won't play with the new guns, but will totally use the Noir costumes and check out the old soundtrack.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Alien Isolation is the most scared I've ever been, and I've been in several life threatening situations. Fuck that game. I love it so.

Some of the stuff they're doing with this one seems genuinely clever. The way they made a horde of zombies a threat again is ingenious
    the whole thing where a grab also fucks up your camera angle, disorienting you. It seems so obvious, but it's gonna make things so much more stressful, and it works in a gamey way.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's entirely subjective, but I've never found the Resident Evil games to be particularly scary--though I would note, because of the age of the RE1 and RE2, their "scariness" is directly related to how frustrating their controls are, as in, "This only scared me because I can't turn worth a damn to respond." I'm not sure if Resident Evil 4 is so much less scary, to me, because I was older when I played it, or if because the controls are far less frustrating.

It's by go-to example, but Layers of Fear is a "scary" game to me--not the scariest, by any means. Notably, there are only a scant few sections where you can actually "die" (resetting to a checkpoint, though admittedly it does directly impact which ending you can get--the rest of the game is purely non-punitive exploration. Fearing death (and losing progress) rather than fearing actual story elements strikes me as less scary. I don't find RE7 after the introduction/your initial escape scary for tha treason.

Not really expecting RE2's remake to be scary so much as surprising (being practically a genre shift for the original), but very excited about it having competent shooting controls.

Now it's different, but the first time I played through RE, there were quite a few tense moments and scary scenes. Playing it late at night with the lights off, one and 2 were fun and tense to play through, and the first time I felt an inkling of fear during a game.

It's definitely one of the scarier entries, though it's impossible to separate it from being the original game.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Since I have some sort of inability to play with tank controls, I've never played more than 5 minutes of RE2, so therefore I really don't have a point of reference for the new game. I'll be going through and playing it with fresh eyes and I will probably use whatever guns and tools they give me, even if those things weren't available in the original.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Good thoughts all around, guys. I'm planning on braving it. I may dip into RE1 beforehand (have it from PS+). I played that when I was young and never found it scary - just tense because of shitty tank controls.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    I’d say RE7 is the only one to date that’s actually, legitimately scary. RE1 is ridiculous in retrospect, but if I had played it at an impressionable age upon release who knows how I’d feel.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I found RE3 profoundly scary as a kid. The idea that a monster could follow me from room to room was just, nah. Not doing that, turn of the PS1 right now.

Playing it again as an adult, that game turns into a really fun rivalry thing with Nemesis. I like seeing him, it means I got a chance to get some fat loooot.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I don't find Resident Evil 7 scary, except almost at the very beginning (purposefully, all that covered by the demo), before the gameplay changes fundamentally.

Repulsive and grotesque to new heights, sure, but not scary.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    RE3 did Nemesis brilliantly by having him stalk you while breaking the rules you set down for the game.
    The game never says 'the enemy will not pursue you through a door', but you're used to it enough that you set it as a rule, then OH MY GOD HE BROKE THROUGH THE LOADING SCREEN.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Good thoughts all around, guys. I'm planning on braving it. I may dip into RE1 beforehand (have it from PS+). I played that when I was young and never found it scary - just tense because of shitty tank controls.

I envy you. REmastered is an excellent game and a best example of what I look for when classics are brought to HD. It's incredibly faithful to the original Resident Evil, while also providing new content that fits and isn't tacked on by dumb corporate things like MTX. It also makes the game more accessible by giving the option of updated controls or tank controls. It's the perfect way to experience RE1.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    PT is the most legitimately terrified I've ever been while playing a game. It was so damn good, and it's a shame we'll never get to see how Silent Hills would've turned out. I think the only other game that gave me the same feeling of fear was the first Condemned game on the 360. Specifically that damn department store.

Certain early game Alma bits in the first F.E.A.R game got me pretty good too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The first FEAR was pretty scary. The 2nd and 3rd installments were a bit too campy in my opinion.

If you haven't played the Outlast games, they are pretty terrifying also. I really enjoyed Outlast 1 specifically.

• Options
    The Whistleblower dlc was FUCKED UP

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1f17VqIA_E

Official Trailer for the 1-shot demo, all platforms, January 11th. While I think the idea is really cool to limit the demo with time played instead of artificial barriers, they better have put in artificial barriers at some point, because PC modders will hack this to bits and remove the time limit within hours.

• Options
    Ah, demo hype. How delightfully old-school!

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

I envy you. REmastered is an excellent game and a best example of what I look for when classics are brought to HD. It's incredibly faithful to the original Resident Evil, while also providing new content that fits and isn't tacked on by dumb corporate things like MTX. It also makes the game more accessible by giving the option of updated controls or tank controls. It's the perfect way to experience RE1.

I mostly agree, but hate how much squishier they made Jill compared to Chris. She has three states in that game: Fine, almost dead, and dead.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1f17VqIA_E

Official Trailer for the 1-shot demo, all platforms, January 11th. While I think the idea is really cool to limit the demo with time played instead of artificial barriers, they better have put in artificial barriers at some point, because PC modders will hack this to bits and remove the time limit within hours.

Well, we can be pretty sure they won't include the rest of the content beyond some point, so I expect it ends like a lot of PC game hacking does: running into an invisible cell, followed by freezing.

• Options
    Man, Capcom is really nailing it right now.

Their marketing for RE2 has been perfect, this demo has got me already on mega hype levels and it isn't even out yet.

Not to mention they announced a demo is coming for DMC5 next month. I'm not personally a DMC fan, haven't been since the first game, but I still appreciate what they're doing.

Now if only Capcom would bring back Breath of Fire, it would be a true golden age.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Their marketing for RE2 has been perfect, this demo has got me already on mega hype levels and it isn't even out yet.

Not to mention they announced a demo is coming for DMC5 next month. I'm not personally a DMC fan, haven't been since the first game, but I still appreciate what they're doing.

Now if only Capcom would bring back Breath of Fire, it would be a true golden age.

Fucking for real man. BoF 3 was my favorite PSX RPG. Soooo good.

• Options
    So do you get to play for 30 minutes as many times as you want or does it lock you out after one playthrough?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    But it's only been three years since the last new mainline Breath of Fire game...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Just picked up the entire DmC series & the first two Dead Rising games off the PSN sale. Onimusha next week. RE2 the week after. I'm all in on Capcom right now.

President Evil on
  • Options

Fucking for real man. BoF 3 was my favorite PSX RPG. Soooo good.

I don't know what it was about that game, but man did it sink it's teeth into me. I loved every part of that game, from the overwork style and graphics, to the combat and story. I've tried to play one and two because I loved 3 so much but I've never gotten into them.

• Options
    End trailer reward from beating the demo leaked by timezone lottery winners...

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    RE2 demo is out now, right?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So the 1 shot demo.

Does that mean you can only play it once?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    It is out on 1/11, which is tomorrow if you are in the United States. If you are living in the APAC region it might already be 1/11.

• Options
    So the 1 shot demo.

Yes, you’re locked out once time is up.

• Options
    End trailer reward from beating the demo leaked by timezone lottery winners...

Yes Yes Yes

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So the 1 shot demo.

Yes, you’re locked out once time is up.

This is going to be really difficult with a puppy.....

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Some regions have the demo already, but yes it will be live everywhere tomorrow. If you can't wait that long, there's a YouTube video up of the entire thing, including making a second free PS4 account so they could play through it a second time.

I'd rather wait til tomorrow to play through it myself.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Seriously. One shot? That is stupid.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Seriously. One shot? That is stupid.

You can run it multiple times, but once you hit 30 minutes you cannot play any longer.

When this eventually hits on Steam someone will probably work out how to mod it.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    There are other solutions. Ones only a madman would pursue, but...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Guess I'm going to create a second account. Want to show my gf this game and screw off, and play one time proper

RickRude on
This discussion has been closed.