As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop Maintenance. Cleaning tips etc

So I got a new laptop a few months ago and I'm looking at hopefully taking care of it a little better than past ones. What are some big do's and dont's? Some tips you've picked up over the years? It's a dell with a lighted keyboard, anything I should keep away from using when cleaning that? Did the new HDR screens require different cleaner? Compressed air, awesome or the devil?

Thanks everyone.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Compressed air is awesome.

Monitor cleaner is great.

Keep chips away from your keyboard.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    You can turn your laptop upside down and shake it. Just, you know, don't throw it.

If you don't have monitor cleaner, filtered water and a proper cleaning cloth (I guess microfiber is the go-to nowadays but there are options) will work too, you just need to apply the right (delicate) amount of force, and you might need to make multiple passthroughs if there's a lot of oil and smudges and whatnot.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I had some lens cleaner for glasses and cleaned it off that way. I have some smudges all over my screen that don't want to go away though it seems. Going to try a second pass and maybe use the googles.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You may want to see how easy or difficult it is to remove the bottom panel to get at the heat sink for your cpu and gpu. giving that a thorough cleaning with compressed air every 6 months or so can keep a laptop happy.