As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    my problem is usually the champion who pops up after a couple of minutes. I just have a very difficult time dealing with him *and* the four soldiers who routinely peel off to chase me down.

this one is being a larger than usual pain because he has poison arrows, poison bombs, and smoke bombs.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Picked this up for 30 bucks. The platitudes on the cover seem really great, although user reviews seem. . .middling? Feels like everything I've wanted out of an AC though: more rpg, ship combat and less focus on the Templar/Assassin lore (that I know not much of).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Tamin wrote: »
    my problem is usually the champion who pops up after a couple of minutes. I just have a very difficult time dealing with him *and* the four soldiers who routinely peel off to chase me down.

this one is being a larger than usual pain because he has poison arrows, poison bombs, and smoke bombs.

It's a lot of "fun" when you've got two or three levels of wanted because you've got multiple bounty hunters showing up and while you're still dealing with them and the whole camp of guards more bounty hunters keep fucking showing up.

I think my record was like five bounty hunters on top of the cultist member, fort polemarch, captains, lieutenants, and whoever else was there with a weapon. I spent a good twenty some minutes in that battle before I got killed because two bounty hunters showed up with poison weapons and I couldn't keep dodging all the attacks.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i just bought a ps4 and i'm catching up on all the games i missed

guys

did you know that assassin's creed: unity isn't actually very good?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

guys

I did! You should've asked me first!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

guys

Syndicate is much more fun!

Jacob and Evie were like the first 2 fun protagonists in the series!

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Unity co-op was kinda fun except that it used to be buggy as hell on release, and it really depends on who you get teamed up with I suppose.

• Options
    Is dodge an ability on a cooldown? I didn't quite get that.

. . .also that "store" has me in awe oh how unabashed they are with all of it.

• Options
    I think I'm unhappy that Oikos is only in Phokis. Reda traveling around was a cool idea, even if in practice he ended up pretty close to the player for dailies and such.

It's just a little annoying to travel back to the same place routinely, you know?

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Is dodge an ability on a cooldown? I didn't quite get that.

. . .also that "store" has me in awe oh how unabashed they are with all of it.

In Odyssey? Nope. You can dodge all the live-long day. Square on PS4, X on Xbox

• Options
    dodging, particularly arrows, is a fine art

it's not on a cooldown, per se, but if you try to dodge before the animation completes it won't register. There may even be some recovery frames? I'm not certain.

Against just one archer it's often trivial to keep dodging around; the more crowded the melee, the more difficult it becomes. Maybe you dodged the overpower attack and the archer nocks and fires while you're rolling. Maybe you dodged the arrow and came out of the roll just as a brute does a leaping smash.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Am I'm meant to beat this first merc at a lower level? Feels like there's some crazy button input reading going on.

Also kinda loving the game so far.

NVM: Just went Dark Souls on him. But seriously the damage on Hard is a bit much.

ED! on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Honestly to each their own but the game is way too hp spongy even at normal for me to even go anywhere near hard

• Options
    started working on The Hunted. Pleased with it so far, though I'm not sure how I feel about the integration. But then I think I've said that about each of the expansion packs and I'm just not entirely sure there's a way to make me happy.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

guys

Ezio was fun as hell!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

guys

Ezio was fun as hell!

I know a lot of people don't like Revelations - and it's a game with plenty of problems - but it has my favorite Ezio line

When like, his meet cute with Sofia involves him opening a secret door, and she says "hey, who are you?" and he goes "only the most interesting man in your life" and then heads off into the tomb

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    So I got into the Project Stream thing, and I've been messing around with Odyssey. (It seems fun, but you probably already knew that.)

If you had 1,000 helix credits, what would you recommend getting? I was looking at either the map pack, or a booster (there seems to be an XP boost and a money boost).

For those that have completed it, did you feel that the XP/money came quickly enough?

• Options
    I've heard from people without the XP booster that the grind gets really bad at the late game and it was preventing some of them from making it through like, critical plot missions

I grabbed the XP and money boosts and I'm glad I did

• Options
    I never had trouble with money or xp, but then I also tend to wander around instead of beelining the main story.

I should mention that I purchased the ultimate edition and so I did have an XP & money booster, but they only lasted for the first two hours. So they definitely didn't help combat any 'grind' in the late game; which, to be clear, I personally didn't perceive. I hit 50 almost before I knew it and 70 wasn't far behind.

I'm not sure what I would buy from the store if I had the helix credits. Everything can, albeit eventually, be had from Sargon. There are some neat perks on the weapons and armor packs, and those perks can always be transferred to equipment you find later (if you don't feel like upgrading the items themselves)

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Is Evie one of the helix credit things? If so get Evie.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    nah, she's from the uplay club.

edit: I will say that I think
    a) the helix credits should transfer between games and / or
    b) there should be a respectable exchange rate for uplay points to helix credits

Tamin on
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    nah, she's from the uplay club.

And I think she was free, so I went ahead and grabbed her.

I was also happy to see Blind King on the uplay Store for a few coins as well. It’s nice that even though I missed it as a preorder bonus I can unlock it just by having points from playing the other games.

And yeah, I had an XP boost in Syndicate which cane with the Gold Edition, but I didn’t really notice it... and I don’t think Origins has an option for one (or if it did, I missed it).

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I didn't pick up an xp booster and I never noticed any problems leveling up. The microtransactions controversy fizzled out pretty quickly for this, I think because they shoved all of it to a side menu and barely advertised it in game

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I've heard from people without the XP booster that the grind gets really bad at the late game and it was preventing some of them from making it through like, critical plot missions

I grabbed the XP and money boosts and I'm glad I did

I don't see how that could be the case, unless you're just going from main story mission to main story mission directly without doing anything else in the meantime, which is definitely not how these games are set up to be played.

• Options
    I played a lot of side quests and had a playtime of 50 hours and I was still underleveled to take on the finales of 2 of the 3 storylines

It really sucks because when you have no main missions at that level the XP off side stuff takes FOREVER to level off of

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    What's underleveled, exactly? Because I see level 50 as the cap for regions and I'm at level 49 right now with 50-some hours in and I haven't even done chapter 7 yet.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What's underleveled, exactly? Because I see level 50 as the cap for regions and I'm at level 49 right now with 50-some hours in and I haven't even done chapter 7 yet.
    43 or so

Are you just playing now? Because I am pretty sure they boosted the XP rate in one of the large patches, I played right after launch

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I've just met Kassandra's father and all the
    Atlantis stuff is awesome.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    I absolutely loved how that particular plotline ended. I wasn't quite expecting it at all so i let out an audible gasp when it played out.

• Options
    43 or so

Are you just playing now? Because I am pretty sure they boosted the XP rate in one of the large patches, I played right after launch

I started playing it right after the Keighleys.

The January title update comes out the 10th and is going to include some options for enemy level scaling, so there's another improvement on top of whatever XP tweaks they have already made on launch.

I'm glad they seem to be genuinely improving the experience for players with the post-launch updates, but this also gets filed away as another reason to wait a few months to get it, rather than right on the release date.

• Options
    43 or so

I played at launch and I'm pretty sure I hit the level cap before I finished everything off

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    43 or so

I played at launch and I'm pretty sure I hit the level cap before I finished everything off
    Well

I didn't, I don't know what to tell you

I played 50 hours and did a lot of side content and was underleveled and it was very annoying

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Yeah I had zero trouble hitting the cap ahead of story at launch, and I wasn't playing completionist, and I didn't have boosters.

• Options
    Like its nice that y'all didn't have that problem but just because you guys didn't doesn't mean it isn't an issue. If I was able to finish one of the 3 stories and had played for 50 hours and was underleveled for the other 2 thats not super great design

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    43 or so

I spent a lot of time cruising around the islands before finishing the questline, but that was because I wanted to, not that I felt that I had to.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I had a bad habit of finding and clearing every location in a region before tackling the actual quests there, so that probably helped with the levelling.

It was pretty weird because I'd either have accomplished the objective of the quest before getting it, or I'd have to backtrack to a location that was often already wiped out to pick up some macguffin. A few story beats would've been much better if I hadn't cleared the map as well.

• Options
    Like its nice that y'all didn't have that problem but just because you guys didn't doesn't mean it isn't an issue. If I was able to finish one of the 3 stories and had played for 50 hours and was underleveled for the other 2 thats not super great design

I believe you, I just don't know how you got to that point. I think I finished at around 70 hours, so maybe I just did way more side stuff

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    So in summary you may not need to buy the boost but if you feel consistently underleveled go for it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I am a savant for fucking up game progression

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    You have to do side stuff to stay up with the curve. I think at one point a character tells you to go explore before meeting up again. I think my point is that doing that stuff never felt like I was grinding XP so I could get to the next thing

If you largely want to mainline the main story, and skip side stuff, you probably will need a booster? But the game isn't really designed in a way where they want you to do that, so it doesn't feel particularly egregious to me