As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D Character Thing - goblins!

SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in Artist's Corner
hello, i am trying to finish this painting, but im really bad with colors and ambient light and merging the character and the background effectively. shit is hard.
zR14wZH.jpg

SeveredHead on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Why is the upper right corner white like that? Are you following some sort of style convention, there?

• Options
    so it can fit into a book format, text would be on the right, and the rest just kind of blends into the page.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    With how much of her is protruding into the background, I feel like its throwing off the whole scenes contrast. I feel like with stuff like this:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/488007309605397024/

The toned paper is really helping things stay level. Maybe the page will be toned, but if that's the case would work with the tone as your background. The head being a part of the background in this example also helps, ad when you look at the focal point. you sill feel immersed in the image.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    I think an important thing to keep in mind that when it comes to contrasts- value contrasts, color contrast, saturation contrasts, edge contrasts- you want to save your powder for where it's going to have the most impact. Right now you've got a background with some pretty hard edges, very saturated colors- which is distracting from the focus of the piece, which is the figure. Also you have to be careful with the composition graphically- with the intense white of the ground, anything silhouetted against it is going to immediate have a very sharp value and edge contrast, driving the eye there.
    So right now the area of most intense focus is that hand- very dark, defined shape against a pure white ground. But since this is probably not the most important thing you want to drive the viewer to look at first, it would make more sense to have a less dark hand against a more mid-tone background.
    Quicky PO to demonstrate:
    SH_po.png

Here I've desaturated most of the background- yes, you may know a roof is red, but you don't want that big red triangle to be the thing a viewer latches onto. Made the background behind the legs a little lighter, bluer, using moonlight because that intense black before winds up losing the shape of the legs- and while losing edges into shadows is often an effective way to add mystery to a composition, I'm not sure if that's helpful here, with this more action-y pose. And while I've pushed a lot of stuff back in intensity, I also made a point of playing up the hard edges and most intense contrast where I thought it mattered most- the face and the knife, the things that get the story across most obviously. Where I've softened the transition of the background into the white in a lot of places, for the silhouette of the hood I made a point to leave that hard edge on the right to draw contrast, and on the left I played up the light from the lamp on the hood while darkening the background behind it, creating another area of sharp contrast.

Now, I don't have the story prompt for this at hand, and what I've done is just one of an infinity number of ways you could approach this composition- the point it less, 'here is what to do', so much as to get across that deliberately manipulating your contrasts is a tool you can use to get across whatever it is you want to get across more effectively.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Edit: Sorry, mis-clicked. I thought this was the q&a thread.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    hey thanks a lot for the crits, paint over helped a lot. i guess im calling this done, but still open to more skilled eyes than mine.
    (she supposed to be this D&D race called yaun-ti they like half snake, half human, some more snake, some more human.)
    LFPoVy7.jpg

SeveredHead on
  • Options
    another dude, this dude is like a dark paladin that is really mean
    gxsGgAa.jpg

• Options
    went back over this one, it really was looking poopy the more i looked at it. so less poop now.
    x07za1f.jpg

• Options
    is there anything dumb that really stands out here? anatomy or some messed up angles? nah?
    ffF1Y9y.jpg

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    another dude, this dude is like a dark paladin that is really mean
    gxsGgAa.jpg

I think his far shoulder is a little too big / squared up to the frame. It shouldn't be higher than is left shoulder unless he's raising the arm or something.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think that's the shoulder neck guard thing making it look like that, also the awkward stance in which he's holding the weapons (it doesn't feel or look natural).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    With the female character, the glow around her sword arm and around her shoulder is throwing me off. It might make sense in a thick fog, but you don't seem to be using heavy fog in this drawing.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    ice baboon man!!
    mU9faEb.jpg

SeveredHead on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Looking good. I think your shading is a bit overmodelled though, you should try to have a cleaner distinction between your light side and your dark side. There's also a little too much unnecessary detail in the anatomy. Here's a really quick paintover

kkkh5Vt.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm not sure on the use case, but if this was say...a magic card or something small like that wouldn't you want the overmodeling to make up for the loss of detail due to size?

Also, it looks like the jaw is mis-aligned. I get it sticking out, but it looks shifted to his left.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I would argue that because the details are going to get reduced they'll end up getting lost or creating noise that will make the image harder to read at a small size. But then again, I've never made a magic card

• Options
    edited September 2018
    yah i do have a thing where i make supposed to be fleshy things look too constructed, its like i want it to be defined and not mushy but yah theres a fine line there. also im gonna focus more on having a clear focal point instead of trying to focus everything!!

SeveredHead on
  • Options
    how do you make a character look like he is in a place and not look retardeeeeeeddd
    2bo8LIt.jpg

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Yo this is dope. He feels much more 'in place' than a lot of your previous efforts. Consistent light source helps. Might want to give him some faint bounce lighting from the illuminated mist behind him.

• Options
    i kinda of copped out a bit on the background ahhahhhh... but theres defenetly an environment in there somewhere... i gotta force myself to study enviroments. but its combining my two hates, environments and studies.
    dR96p3V.jpg

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Dunno why but I want that mist behind him to have some more deep color hue to it. Blue? Green?

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Panel backgrounds can work well, but in this case centering right on his chest deemphasizes the gesture. Since he is leaning to our left, you could push the panel that direction. That would follow the lean and give you more room for environmental details.

gavindel on
    Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    dang son, yah that works, nice call. the left cropping also, good idea
    bCXDol8.jpg

SeveredHead on
  • Options
    barcsbarcs ireland Registered User regular
    really nice colours!

• Options
    edited March 2019
    @barcs thx sir
    U3DK2wd.jpg
    im trying out that greyscale process since its multiple dudes so i guess i can plan the lighting way easier by just going greyscale first? the coloring will be interesting, never seems to look quite right when you wash over color over brush strokes it didnt make, if you get my meaning. but well try it anways.... greyscale part is fun though, way simpler trying to render without also blending tones and all that crap

1rBtmtW.jpg
    i actually rendered this first one out normally.. so yay for wasting time

SeveredHead on