As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestle(ing)] Kingdom, the live-action CGI event, January 4th

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    What was the reaction to him like

Edit, nm saw it. It's weird seeing him look so out of shape, but it was a nice tribute apart from mentioning moolah. Sad how many greats he mentioned that aren't here any more.

AlphaRomero on
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    When his music popped and he came out? A few people caught by Dunn seemed a little put off, but it was mostly positive with people realizing he was out to give the Raw equivalent of a Eulogy.

edit: It was sad for him to mention Moolah(and to a much lesser extent Ultimate Warrior), but he's got pictures of them in his mind that might not line up with who they are as people.

Geddoe on
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I saw a clip of it on Wreddit, and the thing that struck me most was just how genuine it all seemed. There was none of Hogan's usual bluster (until the "promo" bit at the end, anyway), just a dude talking about his friend and trying not to cry.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Notes from Meltz

SCU Signed with AEW
    Elite all signed 5 year deals
    Sounds like WWE went as far as they could trying to get Kenny, creative control was not on the table
    NJPW didnt find out about Kenny leaving until they seen it in Tokyo Sports
    Went from “not working with AEW” to “a very good shot of happening” if it means keeping Kenny.
    New Japan want to keep Jericho to do a Jericho vs Tanahashi match this year. His contract expired at the Dome, but Jericho says he wants to stay if a deal gets made.

Balor getting pushed to Main event

So I assume we see NJPW dissolve its partnership with ROH after MSG

bloodyroarxx on
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Magell wrote: »
    If only NJPW would have put KUSHIDA in the G1 this year instead of YOSHI-HASHI. We could still have NJPW KUSHIDA.

Plus the matches would have been way better.

The fact that he hasn't gotten a sniff at the openweight title since 2014 is mind boggling to me. He seemed like the perfect guy to rep the juniors/smaller wrestlers in that scene. But that would also require them to use the title for actual openweight matches, instead of as shorthand for moving a junior to heavyweight.

Also, his last NJPW match will be against Tanahashi on the 29th.

hailtothekale on
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Notes from Meltz

SCU Signed with AEW
    Elite all signed 5 year deals
    Sounds like WWE went as far as they could trying to get Kenny, creative control was not on the table
    NJPW didnt find out about Kenny leaving until they seen it in Tokyo Sports
    Went from “not working with AEW” to “a very good shot of happening” if it means keeping Kenny.
    New Japan want to keep Jericho to do a Jericho vs Tanahashi match this year. His contract expired at the Dome, but Jericho says he wants to stay if a deal gets made.

Balor getting pushed to Main event

So I assume we see NJPW dissolve its partnership with ROH after MSG

The last one is interesting...I am guessing fear he will walk after his deal is done is the motivation? I could definitely see Gallows and Anderson making the move when their deals are up.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    KUSHIDA's last match in New Japan is gonna be against Tanahashi, which is really cool

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Tweets like those are always weird to me.

Like, did Charlotte photoshop her face into that body and think no one would notice? Did she do it so Becky could burn her and continue the feud? Twitter wrestling is super weird.

And in regards to Kushida, I'm honestly curious as what WWE sees in him. I mean, I think the dude is great, but he strikes me in the Hideo Itami mold, and that didn't really work out that great.

To me it's either proof that they coordinate this shit, or it's proof that someone's running one or more of these Twitter accounts. Because there's no way Charlotte did that herself nor thought that was a good idea.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    It's insane that they wouldn't offer Kenny creative control. You're turning out shit, what is the harm in letting him do what he wants?

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Because offering wrestlers contractual creative control has gone horribly wrong in the past? It's part of what killed WCW

DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Because offering wrestlers contractual creative control has gone horribly wrong in the past? It's part of what killed WCW

Yeah but it's not like the entire roster, it's Kenny Omega.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Yeah but it's not like the entire roster, it's Kenny Omega.
    You give one guy creative control and the next time contracts are being renegotiated suddenly Seth Rollins is demanding it too, and AJ Styles and Brock Lesnar and so on.

WWE booking sucks ass but giving wrestlers full creative control over their storylines is not a good solution for that.

CYpGAPn.png
    Yeah but Rollins is no Omega, and I don't think AJ would care. Like your rank and file aren't going to get it, and does Brock NOT have creative control? He shows up when he wants and does what he's paid to do and no more.

I think the get of Omega on the roster, especially RAW, is worth letting him have input on how to not have him jobbing for a year in meaningless matches like Balor and Nakamura.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Does anyone really want Omega on Raw? How does that turn out well for anyone? Especially for those who quit, just be glad that WWE isn't making it hard to stand by your convictions.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    If Becky can't get me to watch WWE, Kenny Omega sure as hell can't.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    Ok let’s put it this way

Rollins says I want creative like Kenny

No?

Ok I’ll go to AEW

Yeah but Rollins is no Omega, and I don't think AJ would care. Like your rank and file aren't going to get it, and does Brock NOT have creative control? He shows up when he wants and does what he's paid to do and no more.

I think the get of Omega on the roster, especially RAW, is worth letting him have input on how to not have him jobbing for a year in meaningless matches like Balor and Nakamura.
    You are thinking about this as a fan

Seth Rollins thinks Seth Rollins is on par with Kenny Omega and he is damn sure going to want the best contract he can get.

You give one guy creative control in his contract, there are going to be a dozen folks near the top card demanding it too.

Sending the message that Kenny Omega is a special angel who gets creative control and no one else does is A) a terrible business decision and B) sends the message to literally every other member of the roster that they aren't as important or good as Omega

Do I think Kenny Omega writing his own shit would be better than what WWE would have for him? Yes, absolutely! But I think it would be a horrible decision in basically every other aspect

CYpGAPn.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Not to mention that at the end of the day, WWE is about pushing the brand, not the wrestler.

LIke they want to make sure the wrestlers are stars...but not to where they overshadow the company. Giving someone creative control goes against that.

I was kind of sad, I read the WRestle Kingdom spoilers because I thought the AXS broadcast would come out like 2 months later as it has for most of the time I've been watching, but they actually put it up the day after. So I watched it spoiled.

Still, the Kenny Omega/Tanahashi fight was a hell of a match. I thought the most impressive part was that triple powerbomb sequence in the middle, with Kenny just deadlifting Tana on the final one to slam him down again. So damn strong. Kenny is a weird kind of wrestler for me, because he does have a strange sort of charisma, but it's kind of offputting. Like, he is just so lame, yet still kind of compelling at the same time. I think it's because he is clearly intelligent, and it's cool that he shows more sides to his personality than most wrestlers, but all just come across Nickelback-y in some way to me.

Tana is kind of a strange case to me too. I'm never excited for his matches, I don't think he's particularly great, and yet he's been in a handful of matches that I thought were really excellent (Tana-Okada at the G1, Tana-Kota G1, Tana-Kenny WRestle Kingdom). He can't be as average as I feel like he is if he keeps having those great matches, right? What is his skill? I guess he can take a shit ton of punishment, with slaps and chops, and he does a good job of firing up and getting second wins to do storytelling in the match. But still his movesets and athletic ability are so far below the top guys, how does he do it?

Also, his air guitar is so lame. Really, almost everyone in NJPW (and honestly, pro wrestling in general), are lame, but they can put on some great matches.

Kota is my guy though. I was sad AXS didn't show his fight with Ospreay. That would have been my jam. People here seem to dislike Ospreay though, why is that?

One thing that sucks about the AEW, is that for a bit there it looked like Cody and the Bucks might be interested in unionizing wrestlers and in some ways decarnying the business. Instead, they decided to become management. Hopefully they do it better, but I've got little hope for that now.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The name on the contract does say Khan...

however the contract reads "Shad Khan."

Mwx884o.jpg
    PWI is reporting PAC has signed with AEW

CYpGAPn.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    also I'm personally offended that you'd say the pride of Davenport is no kenny omega

burbo wrote: »
    Kota is my guy though. I was sad AXS didn't show his fight with Ospreay. That would have been my jam. People here seem to dislike Ospreay though, why is that?

AXS is showing WK13 in three episodes, so that match will either be this Friday or next. No way they leave it off the coverage.

Regarding Ospreay...I feel like he's pretty well-liked here?

Personally, I think he needs to log off the internet more often than not. But he's also a fantastic wrestler who's been involved in some of my favorite matches and storylines the past few years.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    PWI is reporting PAC has signed with AEW

Good, good

Now, Sami go join AEW

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited January 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »

You are thinking about this as a fan

Seth Rollins thinks Seth Rollins is on par with Kenny Omega and he is damn sure going to want the best contract he can get.

You give one guy creative control in his contract, there are going to be a dozen folks near the top card demanding it too.

Sending the message that Kenny Omega is a special angel who gets creative control and no one else does is A) a terrible business decision and B) sends the message to literally every other member of the roster that they aren't as important or good as Omega

Do I think Kenny Omega writing his own shit would be better than what WWE would have for him? Yes, absolutely! But I think it would be a horrible decision in basically every other aspect

Fair points. I still think Omega is hot enough to be worth it (the merch alone), but I can see what you're getting at.

AlphaRomero on
    One thing that sucks about the AEW, is that for a bit there it looked like Cody and the Bucks might be interested in unionizing wrestlers and in some ways decarnying the business. Instead, they decided to become management. Hopefully they do it better, but I've got little hope for that now.

Them becoming management says nothing about them unionizing and giving wrestlers real health coverage.

Cody seemed dead set on getting that done.

AXS is showing WK13 in three episodes, so that match will either be this Friday or next. No way they leave it off the coverage.

Regarding Ospreay...I feel like he's pretty well-liked here?

Personally, I think he needs to log off the internet more often than not. But he's also a fantastic wrestler who's been involved in some of my favorite matches and storylines the past few years.

I've seen them do other big shows in multiple episodes, and they generally kind of went chronologically in the card. I figured they were just doing 1 since they started with the main events (Cody and Juice aside)

Them becoming management says nothing about them unionizing and giving wrestlers real health coverage.

Cody seemed dead set on getting that done.

Sure, they are in better position to make that happen from management. It just doesn't usually work that way. I would be thrilled to be wrong about that though.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The Tanahashi Air Guitar spot is a reference to one of his favorite Kamen Riders

Every big NJPW star is secretly a dork except maaaaybe Ishii

edited January 2019
    Also did Nia call herself a 300.5 ounce Samoan?

AlphaRomero on
    The Tanahashi Air Guitar spot is a reference to one of his favorite Kamen Riders

Apparently he LOVES singing sappy romance songs at karaoke.

Wasnt he in a video for one

Oh man. I can't decide if I really want Ishii to be a dork, just for the comedy of it, or if it would just ruin his whole deal if he was like, secretly the lead singer in a ska band or something.

Wasnt he in a video for one

Probably! I remember reading about it in an interview with Yano.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Oh man. I can't decide if I really want Ishii to be a dork, just for the comedy of it, or if it would just ruin his whole deal if he was like, secretly the lead singer in a ska band or something.

He should be like the members of the yanki band in Yakuza 0 where it turns out he fell into the tough guy act.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    You're welcome, friends

https://youtu.be/IdBd2Tka4PU

Double or Nothing

May 25 at the MGM Grand in vegas

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am v glad that all modern wrestlers being huge dorks is as true in japan as much as it is in america and the u.k.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Minoru Suzuki has a manga podcast, which I need to listen to

This discussion has been closed.