As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

join us in glorious pod-hood [jobs]

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Just found out that a friend of mine that left the company I work for to take another opportunity just last year died this morning. I’m kinda gutted, this one hits close, everyone always worried about his health, but never thought this would happen. Damn.

:bro:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    @ Blackhawk1313 my sympathies, that’s really rough.

This CPA firm...

- After stewing over the invoice they sent, the lady I am working directly with phoned me. She talked my ear off and mentioned how she was being yelled at every day by the head of the firm and basically really sounded like she needed a therapist for a good hour
    - Their website causes chrome to give me warnings and directs me to what looks like a database for the firm’s employees to log into.
    - They know I am the only accountant here. I have requested that their invoices be sent to me before. I have spoken to their AR person. Yesterday one of my bosses forwarded me three invoices that have been outstanding for 6+ months that I’ve never seen before and which they have now tacked interest onto.

Time to find a new firm I think!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Coworker is getting pissy because I won't give her my old boss's personal number. She wants to use him as a contact with another bank. I get that it would be help, but no. When I offered to relay the message for her, I got a passive aggressive "never mind. Don't worry about it...".

Lady. No.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Coworker is getting pissy because I won't give her my old boss's personal number. She wants to use him as a contact with another bank. I get that it would be help, but no. When I offered to relay the message for her, I got a passive aggressive "never mind. Don't worry about it...".

Lady. No.

Keeping control of personal contacts is serious business and people should recognize that before they go asking for personal numbers for third parties.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Lady. No.

Keeping control of personal contacts is serious business and people should recognize that before they go asking for personal numbers for third parties.

Especially since giving out phone numbers is increasingly becoming a risky thing

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I feel like today is going to be long, because earlier I thought "Oh wow, it's 11 already?" and no, it's only 10.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Damn, you're right, this is a long day already.

• Options

Lady. No.

Also, my former boss is still a friend of mine. Makes it even weirder.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Why is this server raid 5

Why does this raid 5 have no hot spares

Why did the monitoring software not tell us it had a dead drive

Why did the monitoring software not tell us it had two dead drives

How did users not notice this raid was offline since the 21st of december

What the fuck

• Options
    Okay. NOW it's 11.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Hi job thread. I need your advice.

My mum is part of this, I don't know what you call it, a club? Like Rotary if anyone knows that. Pretty sure it's not a cult. Anyway they have dinner meetings once a month and usually get a guest speaker, and this month that guest speaker is... me. I am to go there and talk to them about my time in South Africa and show off some photos etc.

My problem is knowing what specifically to talk about, as I was out there for years and have to fit a talk into 15-20 minutes. As you guys kind of bore witness to my time there I was wondering if any of you have suggestions on any topics you think I should cover? What would you find most interesting to hear about?

Hi Brovid,

I've done public talks that are meant to be motivating/inspiring/fascinating a bunch of times. I don't know much about your time in South Africa, but I could give you some help if you like. You can send me a PM with questions if you like.

The first thing you probably need to know is what kind of talk you want to give. Like, how do you want people to feel after you've done it? Interested? Amused? Inspired? Motivated? Emotionally touched or connected? Excited? Empowered? That will be key to knowing how to do this. In terms of what you want people to feel, it is also very important to know who you're talking to, and what their expecations are. Then, what do you want to do with their expectations (meet them? Subvert them? Exceed them?).

Also a bit of prep for this, is how much effort do you really wan to put into this? Any more ambitious goal for this will take a lot of writing, re-writing, and rehearsing, but if you just want people to have a nice, interesting diversion for 15 minutes, then a slide show about your time with a clear story will be probably be pretty easy to put together. You need to make sure your goals and your effort/ability line up. There is nothing lamer than a person who's goal is to lead their audience to catharsis and they spent 30 minutes on their talk. However, some funny stories with some cute pictures can be quite great with 45 minutes of prep.

Whatever you do though, I would recommend that you make sure that you tell a story with a beginning, middle, end, and theme to it You don't want your talk to just be a chronological recounting. Make sure there is a through line about why you are giving this talk in the first place, and that you touch back onto it with each section you introduce.

Anyway, if you'd like any more help from me, feel free to PM.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I bet Smof could take a lot of the africa posts and condense them down and they'd still really enjoy that sort of experience.

Especially the elephants breaking the pipes constantly. The struggle against nature that a lot of people don't have anymore is a nice break from modern life to get to experience even second hand.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I have a lot of experience speaking directly to people and motivating them to leave the premesis, if you need help with that.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Lady. No.

Yeah I never give out someone else’s number without the elseperson’s approval.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    @Anon the Felon how'd the custom delivery go? Is that out the door?

Yes, and no. It went, but the main body of this frame we built is back in the shop because the whole thing started coming apart in the field.

We're rebuilding using the steel schedule I'd originally wanted to do, and using reinforcement I'd suggested. We're also using subcomponents that are rated for the actually product, since Old Owner had used... Insufficient parts.

It's a disaster, but I'm fully vindicated. Everyone, to a man, has said as much.

My foot hurts, but there's still a pop in my step today.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Why is this server raid 5

Why does this raid 5 have no hot spares

Why did the monitoring software not tell us it had a dead drive

Why did the monitoring software not tell us it had two dead drives

How did users not notice this raid was offline since the 21st of december

What the fuck

Not being used, schedule for disposal

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I was late clocking in today which means I'm gonna be reviewed for termination because I was already on a write up for it and I can't use pto or sick time to cover it.

Good thing I was already looking for a new job.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think I have an pneumonia.

Great.

I am supposed to hear from my job developer this week.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That's some uh

go to hospital stuff right there

• Options
    Call your primary first or go to urgent care. It's easy to treat if you start soon. Don't wait for it to get worse.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah pneumonia ain't nothing to fuck with

when I was a kid I got to spend a couple weeks in an oxygen tent on two separate occasions thanks to pneumonia (combined with childhood asthma)

• Options
    Yeah Imma going to call right now... It might just be my semi annual chronic bronchitis but I've been getting worse since like Saturday night on and off and I suddenly got a 100 degree temp and started wheezing.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    yeah pneumonia ain't nothing to fuck with

when I was a kid I got to spend a couple weeks in an oxygen tent on two separate occasions thanks to pneumonia (combined with childhood asthma)

I didnt quite get to oxygen tent levels, but my right lung did collapse. Even as a second grader i remember looking at the xray and being like "this is very clearly bad. "

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Applied to a part time job at a library for 13.40 an hour and an assistant position for the state. Hoping one of those goes through so I don't have to spend much time not making money.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I almost had a heart attack when I went to combine a bunch of PDFs and instead opened all 80+ of them.

Thankfully acrobat has a 'close all windows' option.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Finally getting my car back. Someone ran into it on Thanksgiving, I brought it to the shop, there was an issue after that had me bring it to the dealership, and let it sit for 3.5 weeks.

Goodbye, rental Hyundai Elantra.

e: Because it took so long, the guy working on my car asked me not to answer the survey they send...

Kaplar on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Applied to a part time job at a library for 13.40 an hour and an assistant position for the state. Hoping one of those goes through so I don't have to spend much time not making money.

Let me know if you have any questions about the library job! I've been hiring library folk for about eight years now, so I might be able to give you some idea of what we're generally looking for. Or if you just have questions about what to expect from the position.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I mean I am not trying to be...whatever...but a friend has been posting reminiscent pics of her friend for the past three days who just passed away from pneumonia like 4 or 5 days ago and he was relatively young. Not who you would picture succumbing to it.

I myself ended up in the hospital due to pneumonia like 15 years ago and enddd up having to take a week of unpaid leave from the job I had at the time.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Ok I got back from urgent care. They say it's likely I'm coming down with seasonal asthma due to unseasonably warm winter weather.

They gave me antibiotics and steroids and it's already helping a ton.

• Options
    get jacked

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My motivation today has plummeted. I stuck to smaller, easy tasks, like applying for new licenses and renewing business registrations and reconciling bank accounts. So in between being on my phone I did at least get a few things done.

• Options
    My job developer was supposed to call me today

I'm so freaking anxiety ridden about all this.

Plus I'm still depressed and all this downtime means I have to much time to think and get upset which just makes me more anxious.

Barfo

• Options
    District Court dockets are a fucking nightmare

at least most county courts seem to follow some kind of common logic with their dates

I feel like district court dockets are just the judge throwing a dart at a calendar and saying "Okay, the dispositive motions are heard on THIS day and they must be filed by *rolls d20* 7 weeks before the hearing but not more than *rolls d6* 3 weeks before the settlement conference."

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Thats basically how I've heard every paralegal describe it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Finally getting my car back. Someone ran into it on Thanksgiving, I brought it to the shop, there was an issue after that had me bring it to the dealership, and let it sit for 3.5 weeks.

e: Because it took so long, the guy working on my car asked me not to answer the survey they send...

Hahahaha. Now the keyfob doesn't work. I start driving away and see a message saying "Key not detected".The part where you program the keyfob is under the cupholders. For some reason, it was open. I call the guy already pissed off and he said there was no reason that should have been messed with. No fucking shit. He's going to talk with his technicians in the morning to "see what's up." I am angry.

76Eq9gj.gif

Kaplar on
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Thats basically how I've heard every paralegal describe it

And then we have stuff like Eastern District dockets which seem to be basically the judge making up things to add to the deadlines

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I am continually amazed at the number of people in office environments that lack what I would consider to be basic computer literacy skills. Stuff like deleting pages from PDFs, or combining multiple documents into one file, or even just the concept that if you edit a document on your personal computer it doesn't magically change the document for everyone else in the world.

People in my office regard me as some sort of computer genius when really all I have at my disposal is "use Google to look up a particular function/ problem with Microsoft Office Suite and/or Adobe."

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Hahahaha. Now the keyfob doesn't work. I start driving away and see a message saying "Key not detected".The part where you program the keyfob is under the cupholders. For some reason, it was open. I call the guy already pissed off and he said there was no reason that should have been messed with. No fucking shit. He's going to talk with his technicians in the morning to "see what's up." I am angry.

76Eq9gj.gif

Ask for a written copy of your RO.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    District Court dockets are a fucking nightmare

at least most county courts seem to follow some kind of common logic with their dates

I feel like district court dockets are just the judge throwing a dart at a calendar and saying "Okay, the dispositive motions are heard on THIS day and they must be filed by *rolls d20* 7 weeks before the hearing but not more than *rolls d6* 3 weeks before the settlement conference."

Putting this post next to almost anything else I remember from your posting history is pretty much immediately hilarious in its contrast.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

76Eq9gj.gif

Ask for a written copy of your RO.

RO?

This discussion has been closed.