As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is Larry the Cable Guy saying watch [Game Grumps] and CoNSumE PriLOsEc

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    If the themed segments bring back more of the interesting shows I would be all for it. I miss a lot of the multi player stuff for instance.

I agree with the longer game things. There are a few I just really wanted to see till the end, but making them a special case with a stream works best.

Except for Mario Maker. I still am not convinced GG would get old playing Mario Maker forever.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I like the longer video series myself. But moving them to streams is okay with me. I just wish I could actually watch them live instead of after the fact.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    If the themed segments bring back more of the interesting shows I would be all for it. I miss a lot of the multi player stuff for instance.

I agree with the longer game things. There are a few I just really wanted to see till the end, but making them a special case with a stream works best.

Except for Mario Maker. I still am not convinced GG would get old playing Mario Maker forever.

They outlived Mario Maker

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is Doodle Doods coming back?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is Doodle Doods coming back?

Probably not, since Oney was a driving force in that series and due to him moving away, I don't think it'll be Doodle Doods but a similar concept. Hopefully, with more Ross as he becomes more available.

I'll say it... I miss Ross.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I like how they're scaling back, but that scaling back for them is to put out a half hour of content or more, per day.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's a soft lean into streaming on a regular basis, I really do think they're going to make that transition fully one day.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'll say it... I miss Ross.

I wish they would consider bring him, Brian, and the rest in on the Friday slot for Steam Train or something.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    It's a soft lean into streaming on a regular basis, I really do think they're going to make that transition fully one day.

like the part where they say tht's not what they're doing explicitly

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    Yeah the day Grumps go full streaming is the day I stop watching

DHS wrote: »

like the part where they say tht's not what they're doing explicitly
    Plenty of time to change their mind, especially as they do it more and more and get familiar with it as a thing. Arin said he would kill himself if he ever did a Lets Play, once upon a time.

https://youtu.be/6sug_4GdrnM
    This got me good

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    The irony of Arin continually getting the artist's name wrong while arguing about the lyrics being wrong is always amusing to me. Also, both those movies totally hold up today :)

Good stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Pity, they're moving away from what I like. Oh well, all the best to them, I guess. I blame Youtube. Gotta chase those algorithms.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the Guts and Glory episodes, I've gone back to start the series over.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Guts and Glory is QWOP, with blood and stupid death traps and it never gets old. I love it.

I just wish Arin remembered how to boost his speed to make some of the challenges less frustrating for himself. :P

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Guts and Glory is QWOP, with blood and stupid death traps and it never gets old. I love it.

I just wish Arin remembered how to boost his speed to make some of the challenges less frustrating for himself. :P

He does seem to not learn the controls or really key game mechanics a lot and it's frustrating to watch at times. I assume this is partly because he's a busy fucking guy and partly because he's jumping from game to game constantly. Plus the style of the show really works when he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. But it's still frustrating.

I missed this one when it came out but... hoo lawdy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkoIf32ULSY

God I was dying when the two CPUs were volleying back and forth.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

He does seem to not learn the controls or really key game mechanics a lot and it's frustrating to watch at times. I assume this is partly because he's a busy fucking guy and partly because he's jumping from game to game constantly. Plus the style of the show really works when he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. But it's still frustrating.

Being busy is definitely not an excuse for not learning the controls, it takes almost no time at all to glance at a list/keybind menu, he just has to think it's more funny than frustrating for the audience in general.

Which...I definitely don't find that aspect to be that funny. They can riff off of being bad/knowing nothing else about the game just fine, but it feels a lot more obviously manufactured when it's because they don't want to bother looking at control setups.

I didn't watch most of their long series', but that wasn't because they were long but more because I found the chosen games pretty tedious to watch, either the game in a general sense or because, as mentioned above, Arin couldn't be bothered to actually learn the basics of interacting with the games.

I also stopped watching the Power Hour pretty fast because that's not at all what I come to grumps to watch, I'm not interested in that kind of dumb youtube content and can find plenty elsewhere. But their funny stories and practiced/trained improv while playing something vaguely interesting? Still great and all I'm really looking for from them.

The only time I liked Ross was when he was doing things with Holly, because he wasn't acting like a tool and if they were part of a greater group where he was inclined to play out his persona she would have none of it.

I miss Barry, especially (but definitely not just!) as their editor, no one else added as much to the episodes as he did. Also not enough Brian. And too much SuperMega despite not being very much, heh.

I'm glad they're getting a handle on their schedule though, and are personally enjoying all the things they're working on. It's the only LP-ish style channel I watch any more, I've just been disappointed that their interests are straying from my own I guess.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yeah, the power hour pushes me away reaaaaally hard. It's really catering to a much, much, much younger audience. And before someone tells me it's like Tim & Eric, I like Tim & Eric and I can't see anything in common at all.

But hey, they have their bills to pay. And power hour brings in the dosh.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've never liked Ross, but many I'd kill to have Barry back.

That said, Matt and Ryan have really grown on me both as really good editors, and also as content producers themselves. Super Mega has got me good quite a few times. The thing that really turned me onto them was when Dan was sick last year and they did that 9(ish) part series of Old School "Run Escape."

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    yeah, the power hour pushes me away reaaaaally hard. It's really catering to a much, much, much younger audience. And before someone tells me it's like Tim & Eric, I like Tim & Eric and I can't see anything in common at all.

But hey, they have their bills to pay. And power hour brings in the dosh.

It's not exactly like Tim & Eric, but it's definitely in that random/absurdest humor wheelhouse.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Most of the 10MPH videos are silly bordering on "feeling my brain cells melt" kind of bad.

But the one where they throw axes is actually pretty good. The instructor who has to watch over them does a really good job of keeping up and doesn't seem to mind the camera. Arin and Danny both act like genuine friends, like if you were hanging out with them without a camera around, or putting up an act for a show.

Plus the instructor schools their asses.

I like 10MPH more because they are having a lot of fun doing it and it's a concept I like a lot. It feels directly inspired by Rhett and Link, another channel that does similar gross out and weird challenges.

I actually like the 10 Mph but that's probably because:

A. I only started watching Game Grumps again recently

B. I have a man-crush for Dan Avidan

Speaking of whom, Dan posted on Instagram this week a picture of his girlfriend, explaining that they've been dating for a year and he's been afraid to tell anyone out of fear of her getting harassed. He then also asked for everyone to not make it turn out to be a mistake.

I nodded at his decision to keep it a secret so she wouldn't get harassed. And then shook my head sadly at his request. After the Ghoul Grumps BS, I'm not sure I'd put that faith there, especially right after you announce a schedule change.

I can already see it: "Durr, Game Grumps got bad ever since Dan got a girlfriend, durr!"

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dan is just a sweet boy. His sweetness gives him more faith in people than they deserve, but I hope he doesn't end up regretting it.

Man, they should do Date Grumps or something where they play competitive coop games Arin/Suzy vs Dan/GF.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I like 10MPH more because they are having a lot of fun doing it and it's a concept I like a lot. It feels directly inspired by Rhett and Link, another channel that does similar gross out and weird challenges.

I will say I could do without the gross shit, but I have a very weak stomach. It's why I don't watch Rhett and Link.

I like 10 Mph when it's funny, and especially when they go out and do something fun together, like Medieval Times, or costume shopping, or axe throwing. But when they're like, "Haha, let's do shots of turkey puree*!" I'm out.

*I have no idea if that's what they did or not, but it was "Thanksgiving leftover cocktails", and that's where my mind went, so I didn't even give it a chance.

I haven't seen the Thanksgiving episode either, but sounds like something they would do. Tucker, Ryan and Matt all have done that "Let's cook something gross for dinner and make the others eat it" before. See Finn Wolfhart hanging out with SuperMega that one time (or don't, because 🤮)

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yo! Imma gonna spoil this upfront because it's obnxious. $25 a bag is an aweful price. It's not weed Arin!

https://youtu.be/ECgDORuXtiQ

halkun on
    halkun wrote: »
    Yo! Imma gonna spoil this upfront because it's obnxious. $25 a bag is an aweful price. It's not weed Arin!

https://youtu.be/ECgDORuXtiQ

I mean I get these are a rip-off but hey, if people buy them more power to him. People are crazy about pins, for some reason.

I do hate that it's blind box, that makes it pretty lame

Not just $25/bag, but they're also random. There's 20 different pins, but each bag gets you.....3?

Holy shit that's bad. I applaud his effort to find a merchandise avenue that's not more fucking T-shirts, but good gawd.

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    $200 if you get them all first try. That's... something.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Apparently these sorts of pins can go for around $10 a piece in the first place, so I guess in the end it isn't that bad a deal, if you're a pin person. For example, the PA store sells a Mario Kart blind box pin set that goes for $20 a bag for two pins.

If you're not a pin person, and I'm not, then it still seems a lot to drop on the little things.

Edit: Actually, and this is embarrassing for me, but I only just realized there's a "Pins" tab on the top of the page that goes to a pins-only section of the PA store, and most of those go for fifteen dollars if you're buying them individually.

BloodySloth on
    Pins are kind of a social thing, like card games. The idea is you and friends buy a few bags and trade for the ones you like.

If this stuff intimidates you, don't ever look at the insanity that is Disney Land/World pin sets.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    https://store.penny-arcade.com/collections/pins

It's about the same price as similar items on this page.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Agreed, I'm not big on pins but they're apparently not cheap to mass produce, or there's a huge return for them. Pinny Arcade is $35 for a set (4 pins).

KoopahTroopah on
    I'm guessing they'll have a few ultra rare or chase pins, those tend to be worth a decent price sold on their own

Fair enough, I rescind my comments regarding this pin scheme. I don't get it, but that's okay.

This discussion has been closed.