As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHERS

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Samus's hand-to-hand game is definitely a lot more dangerous in this than the past few games

dN0T6ur.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Gundi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most really good players think Pit is the objectively better choice because you can control his arrows much better. Dark Pit's arrows are stronger and his side b is considered slightly better, but most folks seem to think the arrows are a lot more important.

Also Dark Pit is maybe the lamest ever?

The thing with Pit is I have no idea how controlling his arrows works or how you'd ever have precise enough control to Wanted someone in the face with one, so the stronger straight ones are just an upgrade.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    again this is not from personal experience but really good players seem to think arrow control is actually super important for using pit well.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Also Dark Pit is maybe the lamest ever?

a very good reason to play him, yes.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    edited January 2019
    having bought uprising but not getting past like the second stage because my hands exploded... is the joke that dark pit is like the lamest silliest "evil doppleganger" nintendo has ever done? Like is he a parody of that idea?

Gundi on
    He's very much a deconstruction of that, yeah

He's supposed to be pure evil, but Pit is such a nice guy that his pure evil clone is just sort of surly and fights against the real bad guys

dN0T6ur.png
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I kind of like the intro song that plays on game boot but its not even close to indestructible

they shoulda put it as a stage song imo

icGJy2C.png
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Pittoo is a good boy.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Shit I played Dark Pit and styled on a Duck Hunt three times and now he's 2.7m and I guess I'm a Dark Pit main now.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    He has a neat (though cliché) character arc in Uprising. He's not really an "Evil" Pit and turns into a semi-friendly rival character after Pit ends up burning off his own wings in an effort to save Dark Pit from certain death.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    wait, dark pit was in an actual game? I thought he was invented for smash?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Nope. He's in uprising

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    What happens is that in Chapter 5, Pandora tries to create an evil Pit for Medusa’s army using a relic called the Mirror of Truth. However, either because Pit cracked the mirror before it could finish creating Dark Pit, or because he’s just too good, Dark Pit isn’t loyal to Medusa at all, and he’s not evil either. He manifests Pit’s darker emotions, such as a shocking amount of bitterness at always doing Palutena’s bidding, but he also despises Medusa and her evil schemes, same as Pit.

He has an obligatory stint as a boss a few times (he doesn’t like Pit’s yes-man routine at all) but he helps Pit get into the Underworld to fight Medusa, and eventually realizes that continuing to antagonize Pit is something he can’t do, because they’re connected. Ultimately, he lands in an awkward position where he’s not Pit’s friend, but he’s not his enemy, and will help out when there’s a threat like Hades stirring shit.

Also, he’s just as much of a goofball as Pit, but he tries really hard not to admit that he is, which is funny in its own way.

Enlong on
    Shorty wrote: »

Nope. He's in uprising

Well, he sort of started as a Pit costume in Brawl. Uprising then turned that concept into an actual character in Pit’s home series (Sakurai worked on Uprising, so it’s not surprising) Which then came back around in Sm4sh when Dark Pit became a separate fighter.

Pit actually still has the “fallen angel” costume from Brawl in Smush, but it’s been recolored a bit, since Dark Pit is a character of his own now.

I personally love how Dark Pit is just waiting behind a column or something in Palutena's Temple waiting for them to mention his name during the guidances so he has a reason to talk to them, even if it's only to say how much he's not like Pit.

edited January 2019
    Enlong wrote: »
    What happens is that in Chapter 5, Pandora tries to create an evil Pit for Medusa’s army using a relic called the Mirror of Truth. However, either because Pit cracked the mirror before it could finish creating Dark Pit, or because he’s just too good, Dark Pit isn’t loyal to Medusa at all, and he’s not evil either. He manifests Pit’s darker emotions, such as a shocking amount of bitterness at always doing Palutena’s bidding, but he also despises Medusa and her evil schemes, same as Pit.

He has an obligatory stint as a boss a few times (he doesn’t like Pit’s yes-man routine at all) but he helps Pit get into the Underworld to fight Medusa, and eventually realizes that continuing to antagonize Pit is something he can’t do, because they’re connected. Ultimately, he lands in an awkward position where he’s not Pit’s friend, but he’s not his enemy, and will help out when there’s a threat like Hades stirring shit.

Also, he’s just as much of a goofball as Pit, but he tries really hard not to admit that he is, which is funny in its own way.

So wait. Dark Pit is just Metaknight but without a mask?

And I guess he's younger than the protag rather than older but still.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Let's not say anything we can't take back.

Metaknight is way edgier and more hardcore than Dark Pit is

dN0T6ur.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Meta Knight started bombing the world because he was bored

Wyborn wrote: »
    Let's not say anything we can't take back.

Metaknight is way edgier and more hardcore than Dark Pit is

In relation to the main character, at least. Metaknight gets to go deeper on the edge factor because Kirby's obnoxiously sweet aesthetic belies a horribly destructive force.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Metaknight doesn't really seem to care about Kirby or dreamland at all unless they directly cause him trouble. Like in most modern games he's basically forced to fight him.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Pit is a cinnamon bun, you take that back

Meta Knight started bombing the world because he was bored

Because everyone else was boring.

actually it was because everybody was super carefree.

i like metaknight though. although, that's mostly because of his sick music.

i like most characters because of their music.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    all metaknight ever wanted to do was project hegemonic power and add work requirements to social programs

Remember that time Meta Knight raised the Temen-ni-gru in the middle of Dreamland

i was leaning toward picking up wario as a main so i jumped into quickplay with him and immediately dropped to 30k GSP and got like, two wins in a dozen matches

got tilted, switched back to lucina and immediately started winning

starting to feel like i've been crutching on swords all this time

the only way to be free is to abandon the blade

I like Wario being good because I think he might only be bullshit if you really know what you're doing with him and everyone else playing him is a free win. He has next to no range and is another "you need to reliably land back air to accomplish things" character.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    i feel like i might be leaning more and more towards ice climbers. they're fun.

and they're just

so

plucky!

Super Ice Climbers sometime soon Nintendo.

i am doubting my commitment to wario here

i got super hype watching him clean up in a couple tournaments but i am just straight trash with him

i got triple rested by a 40k jigglypuff

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

i got super hype watching him clean up in a couple tournaments but i am just straight trash with him

Rest for the Rest God!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Wario is still hands down my favorite character animation-wise. But his moveset doesn't interest me in the least.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Having fun with Pokemon trainer

Im glad they brought them back

Elendil wrote: »

just look into your heart and ask

what would waluigi do?

edited January 2019
    It's probably never going to happen but more Pokemon Trainers would be awesome. Johto is perfectly set up with Chikorita/Quilava/Feraligatr and Hoenn with Mudkip/Grovyle/Blaziken, where in notability they scale up with each stage.

Things start to fall apart in Sinnoh because none of the middle evos are really notable. Monferno is okay but not having Infernape feels like a big miss. And then going forth the rest of the generations all have at least one throwaway starter line.

But then they put one of those throwaway starter lines in this game anyway, so who knows.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised they've never done a Pokemon only smash spinoff

But then they put one of those throwaway starter lines in this game anyway, so who knows.
    ah damn, shots fired! It was super effective!

I'm honestly surprised they've never done a Pokemon only smash spinoff

I've had this thought about so many of these franchises

You could get damn good fighting game rosters out of Pokemon, or Mario, or Zelda, or Fire Emblem, or Kirby...

dN0T6ur.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    It's probably never going to happen but more Pokemon Trainers would be awesome. Johto is perfectly set up with Chikorita/Quilava/Feraligatr and Hoenn with Mudkip/Grovyle/Blaziken, where in notability they scale up with each stage.

Things start to fall apart in Sinnoh because none of the middle evos are really notable. Monferno is okay but not having Infernape feels like a big miss. And then going forth the rest of the generations all have at least one throwaway starter line.

greninja is rad

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Here's some neat Dark Pit art by Gigi D.G.

I do like that Pokemon Trainer's alt colors are based on the protagonists from each generation.

This discussion has been closed.