As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dragon's Dogma] Dragon's Dogma 2 in the making. Please be excited.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This is still the only game that has made playing a magic-user feel genuinely different from a physical fighter (instead of just a different flavor of mashing buttons), and that made you really feel like an incredibly powerful wizard smiting down foes.

The first time I summoned a storm of meteors and one of them streaked in over a low ridge to shatter a golem into pieces is one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had in a video game.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    https://gematsu.com/2019/01/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-coming-to-switch-on-april-23
    Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is coming to Switch on April 23 for $29.99, publisher and developer Capcom announced.

The action RPG first launched for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in April 2013, followed by PC in January 2016, and PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in October 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkPHKbBqEs0

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I both love and hate that news.

Love that it means Capcom hasn't entirely forgotten about DD, but hate that it's not an announcement for either the MMO or a new entry in the franchise coming.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Well, Itsuno is busy.

Doubt there will be any Zelda or Fire Emblem gear added.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah I can totally understand that.

I think I'm more happy that they haven't forgotten the series than I am it's not a sequel announcement. Though maybe I can let myself dare to dream now.

edit- While Dark Arisen is very good it did change the opening theme song from this,

https://youtu.be/SZNbabKjKpA

to some generic fantasy game music. Which IMHO is downright criminal.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Dragons Dogma is very good

i like its GS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2afH5wYR4BY

but i have the pc version which lets me mod encumberance

so unlikely to dip into Switch

J3qcnBP.png
    Ok.
    Axen wrote: »
    edit- While Dark Arisen is very good it did change the opening theme song from this,

youtu.be/SZNbabKjKpA

to some generic fantasy game music. Which IMHO is downright criminal.

Well, Into Free wasn't that well received at launch. I like it myself.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited January 2019
    Hah, it grew on me honestly.

The first time I loaded up the game I think I was fiddling with the options or something so when the kinda standard piano music stopped and suddenly GUITAR RIFF followed by glorious Engrish I was all, "Wut?"

I knew I was in for something special with Dragon's Dogma at that moment.

edit- Luckily on PC you can mod the song back in.

Axen on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, no, that song is awful. Generic fantasy game music beats it by miles

JtgVX0H.png
    I think it matches the Japanese action game pedigree quite well.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Yes please to Dragon's Dogma anywhere. Time for a new Arisen and Main Pawn this April!

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    So I guess you'd have to have Nintendo Online for pawns to work the way they do on PC?

I look forward to having another game that remains unfinished on both systems I own it on.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    You might not need to.

But memory fails me on how it worked on the 360.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You might not need to.

I didn't have live and the pawn stuff worked fine

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    This is still the only game that has made playing a magic-user feel genuinely different from a physical fighter (instead of just a different flavor of mashing buttons), and that made you really feel like an incredibly powerful wizard smiting down foes.

The first time I summoned a storm of meteors and one of them streaked in over a low ridge to shatter a golem into pieces is one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had in a video game.

I completely agree. Magic is so juicy in this game—big, over-the-top, bombastic fun. I think they over corrected by introducing monsters that were practically immune to magic, whereas I would have preferred more dynamic encounters where a party of sorcerers get eaten alive because of monster behavior and stats, rather than just “lol immune.”

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Swathed in flames they're a greater threat!

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I completely agree. Magic is so juicy in this game—big, over-the-top, bombastic fun. I think they over corrected by introducing monsters that were practically immune to magic, whereas I would have preferred more dynamic encounters where a party of sorcerers get eaten alive because of monster behavior and stats, rather than just “lol immune.”

Wasn't that only Golems?

...And I think they could still be killed by High Exquay if you *absolutely* had to go all Sorcerer.

steam_sig.png
    They could technically be killed by Bolide and a maybe a handful of others, but good luck hitting.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    You might not need to.

I didn't have live and the pawn stuff worked fine
    The Rift has never been behind a paywall. Wasn't on X360, and isn't on PS4. Capcom runs their own servers for Dragon's Dogma and online interaction is limited to brief transaction-style events.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Which sucks. I was so ready for that Deep Down game. Multiplayer Dragon's Dogma, basically, with your friends actually in control instead of AI-Pawns.

I mean, it sounds like MonHun, but still. Give me that quirky future story of people loading up a VR world instead of a mythical dragon island with cat-friends.

Alright, give me cat-friends, too.

I've heard a rumor that Deep Down getting canned was less because of Dragon's Dogma not meeting sales expectations and more because of serious development troubles they encountered with whatever engine they were trying to use, the trailer they put out initially was a CG movie mockup of what they were aiming for rather than something recorded in a functioning game engine.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    They went over budget with the Phanta Rei engine. They are now using Unreal in their projects.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They went over budget with the Phanta Rei engine. They are now using Unreal in their projects.

Are they? World was MT framework and RE:7 was some custom thing.

Sorry, I was thinking of their fighting games.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited January 2019
    Which sucks. I was so ready for that Deep Down game. Multiplayer Dragon's Dogma, basically, with your friends actually in control instead of AI-Pawns.

I mean, it sounds like MonHun, but still. Give me that quirky future story of people loading up a VR world instead of a mythical dragon island with cat-friends.

Alright, give me cat-friends, too.

I've heard a rumor that Deep Down getting canned was less because of Dragon's Dogma not meeting sales expectations and more because of serious development troubles they encountered with whatever engine they were trying to use, the trailer they put out initially was a CG movie mockup of what they were aiming for rather than something recorded in a functioning game engine.

Why do people think Capcom was disappointed with sales anyway? Everything Capcom has ever said about the sales of Dragon's Dogma has been variations of "Holy shit this is amazing!"

Like seriously, they've said in no uncertain terms that sales on consoles far surpassed their own expectations and the PC version was the best selling Capcom game ever (at the time).

Axen on
    edited January 2019
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-20-dragons-dogma-can-sell-10-million-worldwide-reckons-capcom
    Capcom is hoping to sell 10 million copies of forthcoming fantasy RPG Dragon's Dogma, according to producer Hideaki Itsuno.

Speaking to Videogamer, Itsuno insisted that figure was ambitious but attainable, and is emblematic of Capcom's desire to chase success on a global stage and not just in Japan.

"I don't know if other Japanese developers are trying to become more global, but I know we definitely are," he said.

"It's difficult, because we really want this game to sell 10 million units worldwide. We want to sell a lot, and that's just something that we think we can do. We're not positive [it will be a success]. Of course it's a risk, but that's what we want - a challenge."

Itsuno added that Capcom believes the game will almost certainly break the million barrier in its homeland.

But another article from IGN has them at 1.5 millions : https://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/11/capcom-releases-sales-expectations-for-re6-others

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited January 2019
    Yeah I can promise you Capcom proper was not at all expecting that.

edit- Yeah I think the Producer's claim of 10 million was him just saying that the team personally hopes to sell a fuck ton. As opposed to an actual corporate sales expectation.

Since release Capcom has only ever sung Dragon's Dogma's praises in sales.

Axen on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I assume the logic people use is that if it were a real success, then they'd be rushing to sequel and franchise the whole thing. Honestly though, sometimes it's kind of refreshing when something doesn't get a sequel. Not everything needs a sequel or be franchised. Granted this does conflict with the idea of consuming something you like and instantly going "I want MOAR!". But one-and-done games shouldn't be shunned. ...Even if it would be great to have a sequel...:)

This game really is something special. All the individual components of it, when analyzed separately, are... functionally mediocre. The graphics are ok, if a bit bland and brown. The setting is as generic as generic fantasy can get. The combat is simple. The overall gameplay is kind of grindy. The only really positive thing it's got going are the giant monsters. And yet all these average ingredients turn into something absolutely amazing.

That's why I'd be somewhat afraid of a sequel. If they go in and start changing systems and tweaking things, it could snap this impossibly balanced thing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited January 2019
    While there is such as thing as "too many cooks in the kitchen" I think it worked out in Dragon's Dogma favor. Pretty much anyone at Capcom who was responsible for the best things that come out of Capcom were able to add their little bit to the pot.

edit- Dragon's Dogma has sold better than any of the DMC games. That's kinda surprising.

I've no idea if they'll ever make a sequel. I mean I never in a million years would've ever expected to see a fully updated console/PC Monster Hunter game, so who the fuck knows what they'll do in the future.

Axen on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The Switch port announcement has me craving some Dragon's Dogma action. I was just thinking "Maaan, I wish it was available now" and then it hit me. "You own it on PS4 dummy!"

So I think I'm going to hit that up tonight. Don't think I've ever tried a pure magic class, so I might go for that. Somehow I tend to end up as the Archer/Mage combo class because it's so rad. Gonna try to stick to pure mage this time, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The Switch port announcement has me craving some Dragon's Dogma action. I was just thinking "Maaan, I wish it was available now" and then it hit me. "You own it on PS4 dummy!"

So I think I'm going to hit that up tonight. Don't think I've ever tried a pure magic class, so I might go for that. Somehow I tend to end up as the Archer/Mage combo class because it's so rad. Gonna try to stick to pure mage this time, though.

Only three things you need to know to want to be Sorcerer as much as possible:

1. Multiple Sorcerers can combined casting the Sorc-unique damage spells (Maelstrom, Bolide, etc) speeding up casting time.
    2. Any Sorc that joins in automatically starts with the same casting progress as everyone else.
    3. Pawns will always cast the highest cast-level of the spell.

What does this mean? It means you can get a Sorc pawn that has High Bolide (+Utilitarian if you can) start casting yourself, let them join in, and once you finish the first level cast, release, then start casting again, then release immediatly because you are already at the first level...

I think if you are fast enough you can get as many as 3-4 reg. Bolides fired off before you both finish with High Bolide.

The results are about what you expect.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I always prefered just getting a big fucking sword and going to town with it. Not the most efficient way to fight, and boy the game sure tried to discourage the playstyle later on, but it was still a hoot. Kind of a bummer they had to nix the Berserk armor in the rereleases though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Warrior stuck with just 3 skills was a blunder.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Magic Archer was my go to. Pinging from a distance was very useful against the loser dragons early on but it helped manage mobs too

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Throwing goblins off cliffs was my bread and butter combo.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Ten /hundred /thousand kisses was the best. I mean every class was fun in different ways but something about just fucking laying into a monsters Achilles tendon, eyeball, or other soft squishy spot was so damn satisfying. I did do a second run in the 360 leveling almost entirely as whatever class gets the highest HP per level as the only stat that does not get a huge boost in bitterblack was your health.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited January 2019
    I like Gouge, but it usually wasn't as efficient.

Bitterblack didn't do much more for Stamina than for Health.

PLA on
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I like Gouge, but it usually wasn't as efficient.

Bitterblack didn't do much more for Stamina than for Health.

Yeah but the damage multipliers on all of the new high rank skills was high enough that it outweighed the lack of big stamina increase.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    One of the goofy things with PC-modding is that you can you turn the high skills on or off without rings.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    DD on the switch is a good call. As someone who played a substantial amount of Dragons Dogma Online I have always hoped that they bring it to US and Europe . I think sadly now that boat had passed. Miss my Alchemist so much.

With the success of monster hunter last year I am sure Capcom have figured that they could make a new dragons dogma and it be snapped up if it was good.

Fingers Crossed.

This discussion has been closed.