As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    LaFleur was the QB coach for Kyle Shannahan in Atlanta and OC for McVay last year when the Rams got going. So he's been second fiddle to the last two big offensive gurus and he's young. OTOH the Titans offense was garbage this year and he's got all of two years of Coordinator level experience

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kliff Kingsbury is reportedly going from flaming out at a mid-tier Big 12 school to NFL head coach. Arizona.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kliff Kingsbury is reportedly going from flaming out at a mid-tier Big 12 school to NFL head coach. Arizona.

So downgrade?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The dude Oakland not-Oakland brought in to be GM has announced that Gruden will have final say on personnel.

Goody!

Santa Claustrophobia on
    I mean at least a big 12 school has interest nationally occasionally. The cardinals don't even have interest in arizona.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I'm sure many of you are familiar with Jon Bois, and I'm sure many of you have watched this video, "Kickoffs are stupid and bad":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SsIKgwvz4

If you haven't watched it, watch it at your earliest convenience. If you HAVE watched it, do yourself a favor and watch the opening ~68 seconds again, because I don't know about you, but it makes me giggle every time.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Hate to tell Jon Bois, but the kickoff recovery for TD has happened before Jets/Bills. 1984 - Rams/Giants. I remember watching this game and was shocked that such a play could happen.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Hate to tell Jon Bois, but the kickoff recovery for TD has happened before Jets/Bills. 1984 - Rams/Giants. I remember watching this game and was shocked that such a play could happen.

That's awesome - just out there, kickin' touchdowns! :D

• DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean at least a big 12 school has interest nationally occasionally. The cardinals don't even have interest in arizona.

yeah that's really not true at all.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    DHS wrote: »

yeah, you're right. No one outside of TX/OK/KS ever care about the big 12.

Veevee on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

WV? IA?

Veevee wrote: »

WV? IA?

According to politics Iowa = America, so I guess you win this round.

Damn right.

Bruce Arians is the Tampa Bay HC.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Weird that the Browns didn’t even reach out. Have him take over HC, leave Kitchens as OC, and bring Bowles for DC.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Weird that the Browns didn’t even reach out. Have him take over HC, leave Kitchens as OC, and bring Bowles for DC.

Heck, from what he has said earlier in the year, it wasn't like Arians wanted to be the long term solution. Have him come in, and have a two year transition to see if Kitchens would be a good solution, and train him up on the differences between the HC and OC, or get someone else in if Kitchens isn't suitable.

Do the coaching equivalent of the rookie QB sitting behind the starter (that few teams even bother with now, and the rookies look green as fuck).

Because there's clearly a huge f'n difference between the two positions (HC and OC/DC), and it just seems like a massive crapshoot each year, rather than setting up a transition program that engages some level of continuity.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    1) I'm not sure Arians would be good in Cleveland? Maybe he would, but the traditional strengths of his offenses (YOLO THROW IT DEEP) would not be the strengths of Mayfield, as we've seen them so far. Mayfield might turn out to be Wilson- or McNabb-esque in his ability to escape in the pocket and heave it deep, but he's not an old fashioned, stand in the pocket and heave it deep QB, I think, at least not yet. And, of course, Arians could adapt his offense, and he'd have the dynamic pass-catching RBs he likes to use as outlets already. Not sure if the Browns' receiving corps would be up to his liking though. Maybe.

2) Arians working with Winston is an interesting proposition. Is he there to "fix" Winston? Or is he there to build an offense around him? Because, maybe, who cares if Winston throws interceptions when Arians' offense considers interceptions an acceptable risk when YOLO THROWING IT DEEP anyways? Does Winston overthrow receivers, sure, so let's send our receivers as deep as we possibly can to eliminate that possibility!

3) UNLEASH THE FITZMAGIC!!!

hippofant on
    Joe Flacco will probably be available. Spyder DPI Banana.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Honestly I'm flatly amazed they expect to get rid of him. I would have done everything in my power to try to get him to stay even one season to be a mentor and insurance policy for my hot new QB. We'll see how it works out though.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Honestly letting him go now with several teams that think they’re just one not-terrible-qb away from contending is the best respect the Ravens could pay Flacco

Captain Inertia on
    edited January 2019
    Good news, everyone!

Buckman will do the Dallas game! Huzzah.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Honestly I'm flatly amazed they expect to get rid of him. I would have done everything in my power to try to get him to stay even one season to be a mentor and insurance policy for my hot new QB. We'll see how it works out though.

That would probably more palatable if Flacco weren't being paid so much (though I don't know what the cap hit will look like if they trade him), and presumably they can find some team that will give them a decent offer.

Denver hired Vic Fangio.

Denver hired Vic Fangio.

Fangio should have had the Niners job after Harbaugh. He deserves this shot.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Denver hired Vic Fangio.

The Vampire mobster?!

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »
    Denver hired Vic Fangio.

The Vampire mobster?!

Something will suck.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Denver hired Vic Fangio.

Former Bears don't have a great track record in San Fran.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Browns are promoting Kitchens from OC to head coach and letting Williams go.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Browns are promoting Kitchens from OC to head coach and letting Williams go.

At first glance this looks like a good move? Are we sure this was our Browns doing this and not some other Browns?

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Denver hired Vic Fangio.

Former Bears don't have a great track record in San Fran.

Except for the former Bear who got them to a Super Bowl.

Maybe “Former Bears D” is more apropos?

Jets expected to hire HC Adam Gase, per me and @JeffDarlington.
    Wasn't this the job that McCarthy was hot for? Because oops if true. Also, what did the Jets see from playing against a Gase led team that they thought "Man I want a piece of that?"

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Wasn't this the job that McCarthy was hot for? Because oops if true. Also, what did the Jets see from playing against a Gase led team that they thought "Man I want a piece of that?"

We got in the playoffs once!

RickRude wrote: »

Also, wouldn't 8-8 be a fairly decent step up for the Jets?

And given Darnold looks like a significant step up from Tannehill, maybe they can go nuts, and go 9-7! Maybe even 10-6, and a wild card exit, if the schedule is favourable!

MorganV wrote: »
    Jets expected to hire HC Adam Gase, per me and JeffDarlington.

And given Darnold looks like a significant step up from Tannehill, maybe they can go nuts, and go 9-7! Maybe even 10-6, and a wild card exit, if the schedule is favourable!

The schedule is always favourable to them so long as they suck. Remember when Dallas went 13-3 a few years ago playing a weak schedule with a team that had only sucked because Romo was injured and Cassel sucks. And then when they played a real schedule they crumbled?

So I'm going to the Pats game on Sunday. My extended family is now having two parallel debates on whether they hope its snowing or not. Those of us going to SD LA vs NE don't want it to be nasty because our tent is broken and tailgating would suck. Everyone else is actively rooting for bad weather because LA (and to mock us). We will probably end up at a bar at 945am instead now and then the weather will be mild anyway.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    MorganV wrote: »
    Jets expected to hire HC Adam Gase, per me and JeffDarlington.

The schedule is always favourable to them so long as they suck. Remember when Dallas went 13-3 a few years ago playing a weak schedule with a team that had only sucked because Romo was injured and Cassel sucks. And then when they played a real schedule they crumbled?

Sucking only gets you two games over not sucking. Six games in your division, a full slate against a division in your conference, a full slate against a division in the other conference, and two games against similarly ranked teams in the two divisions in your conference that you didn't play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_regular_season#Scheduling_formula

So, it's arguably more important to your record that your two full slates are against shitty divisions, than you sucking.

On a different topic, I didn't notice it immediately in the aftermath of the Bears/Eagles game, but the reaction of the Bears mascot (just behind the FG post), is priceless. Scroll down the page a bit, and you get a zoomed in view.

https://deadspin.com/cody-parkey-double-doinked-and-kept-the-nick-foles-magi-1831532720

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dallas sportscaster and national treasure Dale Hansen says what we're all thinking:

"Kingsbury fits all the criteria to be a head coach in the NFL: He's an offensive genius, he's young — and he's white, and not necessarily in that order."

WFAA is a broadcast station in Dallas.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Dale Hansen is the best.

Thoughtful, engaging, witty, awesome.

edited January 2019
    I don't think the lack of expected black coaches for the upcoming season is directly racially motivated.

I do think that the reason is people want the next McVay and white coaches dominate OC and QB coach ranks and I do think that racial bias is a big part of why that is.

There are basically four ways to become a NFL head coach or coordinator and some apply to more than one path:

1. Be a former player. This is likely the least common since players that have the brains and motivation to be a coach often made enough money playing. But you're probably going to stay in your general field and so former backup or fringe QBs are usually the ones who become OC or QB coaches and traditionally that was a very white position (due to racial bias directly or indirectly). Sean Payton, Matt Nagy, Jason Garrett, Matt LaFleur, Frank Reich, Kingsbury, Jay Gruden and Doug Pederson were all QBs between arena league and backup QB ability. Mike Vrabel and Ron Rivera were successfully defensive players in the NFL and Doug Marone and Anthony Lynn were fringe NFL players. QBs are semi rationally preferred for offensive jobs and QBs were traditionally white.

2. Work your way up from the bottom. Basically be willing to work for shit for 90 hours a week. Usually you played some college ball at least. Patricia, Quinn, Reid, and Jim Gruden fall into this category. White people are more likely to be able to afford to work basically unpaid internships and I could definitely see racial bias impacting who got those jobs. Defensive players are more likely to be black at the college level too so they are more likely to be hired for defensive assistant roles

3. Work your way up from college, usually after getting a job in college like in options 1 and 2. Bill O'Brien, Bruce Arians, Mike Tomlin and Mike Zimmer are examples there.

4. Be related to a coach. Belichick, Shanahan, Jim Harbaugh and McVay, fall under that category. People would probably be more mad if it didn't somehow end up turning out some really good coaches. Most coaches were white, so this path tends to be white.

Every path is an advantage for white guys and that's stronger for the first 3 if offensive coaches are preferred more. Most of the black coaches fired were defensive coordinator types and they're being replaced by offensive types.

So while I 100% believe some of the owners are racist (they're old white guys mostly) I think its secondary effects of racial biases that are leading to the discrepancy being more skewed

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Actually, Belichick worked his way up from college. He was a college coach who Parcells got hired to coach the secondary of the Giants when Parcells became their defensive coordinator.

PSN|AspectVoid
    I think Racism can still account for black coaches not getting an opportunity based on racism benefiting previous white head coaches and thus their children are "the son of a coach".

I also think in the wake of all the bullshit about kneeling and Kaepernick not being in the league its just flat out racism.

pleasepaypreacher.net