As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You tube I tube we all tube for [youtube]

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Louis C.K's comeback material was so bad that it made me entirely reevaluate my ability to tell good people from bad.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I still don't get George Carlin. Like, I guess as an old man ranting about random aspects of culture he's fine, but I don't really laugh at any of it.

He cuts through the bullshit people pull.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like... Norm Macdonald

• Options
    Most dramatic death.
    https://youtu.be/sVEY5AL5zzk

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I think George Carlin is condescending and overconfident in his own genius.

He appealed greatly to a much younger me for this reason. I can enjoy some of his bits for nostalgia sake though, while still being critical of it.

C.K. Appealed to me a number of years ago but even more so for similar reasons, mostly because of the self deprecation. But I can't enjoy his work now due to obvious reasons and lack of time to separate us from it.

And C.K. is pulling a Dennis Leary with his "comeback tour". Which is sad and revolting, but unsurprising.

Im glad somebody finally brought this up because I really wanna talk about this. Set aside the bigotry and bitter complaining about "kids these days". These jokes are just so bad. They are pointless and he rambles on. Louis doesn't seem to have actually ever met someone in their teens or twenties from this generation. There is not a glimmer of truth in it. There is no punchline. Its just him spewing profanity.

And people LAUGH. Man seems like anybody could be a stand-up comedian as long as they target the right groups.

There's a recent article that has been making the rounds that had this eyecatching quote:
    “I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

As Adam Serwer put it, "the cruelty is the point."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

He appealed greatly to a much younger me for this reason. I can enjoy some of his bits for nostalgia sake though, while still being critical of it.

C.K. Appealed to me a number of years ago but even more so for similar reasons, mostly because of the self deprecation. But I can't enjoy his work now due to obvious reasons and lack of time to separate us from it.

And C.K. is pulling a Dennis Leary with his "comeback tour". Which is sad and revolting, but unsurprising.

Im glad somebody finally brought this up because I really wanna talk about this. Set aside the bigotry and bitter complaining about "kids these days". These jokes are just so bad. They are pointless and he rambles on. Louis doesn't seem to have actually ever met someone in their teens or twenties from this generation. There is not a glimmer of truth in it. There is no punchline. Its just him spewing profanity.

And people LAUGH. Man seems like anybody could be a stand-up comedian as long as they target the right groups.

It's like whoever was writing his jokes can't stand to be around him anymore.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Dennis Leary was all fireman and now he is in a rock band.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Louis C.K's comeback material was so bad that it made me entirely reevaluate my ability to tell good people from bad.

Given how sharp and precisely written his old material was, there seems to be an element of self-destruction to this new stuff, based on what I've read of it. Like he's making the whole world a part of his humiliation fetish.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    My trash reality show of choice was Solitary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOruni6tx4M

Solitary was a weird case. It was on one level extremely high concept, while being extremely simple. But it undermined some of the potential in the concept with some pretty lame challenges. BUT it also had some extremely good challenges, and the simple conceit of "you can quit any time but if you're the first you're out" does have a pretty strong resonance, even in the shitty challenges.

Also if I didn't make it clear enough before The Mole should not be considered alongside basically any other "reality" show that's ever aired, it's far more than that. It's brilliant on every level. I genuinely think it's one of the best tv shows ever conceived.

Though I also make a big distinction between "reality" shows that are just following people around, versus competition shows where there's at least some guaranteed 'truth' because of laws about competitions (even if they still often manipulate interviews etc. as has been mentioned). And even within that there's a hierarchy from shows like the Bachelor/ette where there's not really a tangible prize for winning, versus, say, Survivor or its ilk. I tend to prefer to call them "competition shows" since they're not quite game shows, but I don't think it's quite right to simply label them "reality" either.

The Mole though. True art. And I'm being 10000% earnest. Which given my name always sounds like a joke but it's not.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The only reality TV show I've watched has been The Amazing Race, and only like three seasons total

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    One thing Carlin did really well that I was always sad he really only did one or two books of it was playing with written wordplay, just the most dad joke pun stuff, but top level dad joke stuff.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Carlin was brilliant at dissecting language and signs and the absurdity contained in their modern usage. His best standup played to this strength. Too bad he leaned hard into his ornery misanthrope schtick later in life.

balerbower on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I love

top chef

I would love Top Chef if they focused on the cooking and stopped manufacturing drama. Chopped and the Great British Baking Show are my jam.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I love Canada's Worst Driver.

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    A lot of Carlin's bits haven't aged well, but this one's timeless.

https://youtu.be/uQdC-e82gmk

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    I love

top chef

I would love Top Chef if they focused on the cooking and stopped manufacturing drama. Chopped and the Great British Baking Show are my jam.

I like the drama. I like the crazy challenges and twists. I like the timeline of it.

My favourite seasons are the ones where everybody is nice to each other.

• Options
    If I ever go on a reality show I'm only going to be there to make friends, and I'm going to let everyone know it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't watch a lot of cooking shows on TV because of the drama
    I still think Iron Chef japan was the bomb for cooking shows a level they try to achieve and fall short every time

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    If I ever go on a reality show I'm only going to be there to make friends, and I'm going to let everyone know it.
    It's too bad they'll edit those bits out.

• Options
    I used to watch Iron Chef Japan every saturday night before going out.

I love that show so much.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

yeah that's what really got me, aside from the dickhead cackling at everything

there's been a lot of talk from people saying that CK was always writing this kind of comedy and like...not really, no! even if you go way back to his first act, when he was still just doing observational stuff, his jokes always had punchlines

this new material is just...there's no writing here, there aren't any actual jokes at all, you could switch out young people for bankers or whatever the fuck and I'd still think he was a shit comedian

the closest comparison I can think of is very late-era Carlin, who also gave up writing jokes and just complained for forty minutes

Shorty on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

"Yeah, I'm just here to have a blast, man!"

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    You should read about the disaster that was the "Game Jam" and see what bullshit goes on when making a reality show. It was not an environment where one would "make friends"
    Here is the polygon article.
    Eurogamer has a little more
    Some of the participants were under NDA and can't talk about what went on, but it was not a pleasant experience.

halkun on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLlv2o6UfTU

This is one of those topics you don't often think about, but wow it's a great idea to try and teach this.

• Options
    halkun wrote: »
    You should read about the disaster that was the "Game Jam" and see what bullshit goes on when making a reality show. It was not an environment where one would "make friends"
    Here is the polygon article.
    Eurogamer has a little more
    Some of the participants were under NDA and can't talk about what went on, but it was not a pleasant experience.

Oh yeah I know the bullshit they pull. I would be aggressively positive and friendly.

Also tgat reminds me of this gem.

https://youtu.be/Kb5ev2Dp4I0

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wow, fuck me dead - "when I think supervillain I think woman", "she should be in menopause!"

• Options
    edited January 2019
    "when I think of a villain I can only imagine all the women who have rejected me. Which by the way couldn't possibly be my fault, it's like their hormones or something."

And the amount of fedora in that room.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLlv2o6UfTU

This is one of those topics you don't often think about, but wow it's a great idea to try and teach this.

There is a prequel to this course - Media Literacy. I would recommend you watch that first.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD7N-1Mj-DU

halkun on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

There's a recent article that has been making the rounds that had this eyecatching quote:
    “I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

As Adam Serwer put it, "the cruelty is the point."

Oh my God, it's the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party joke except in real life and not as a joke.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    It's too bad they'll edit those bits out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBwepkVurCI

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    The only reality TV show I've watched has been The Amazing Race, and only like three seasons total

Same, except I've watched every season. But the new one is the All Big Brother contestant season, which is likely a bridge too far.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Rocking the pool noodle
    https://youtu.be/ot_OzUXdi_0

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Louis CK unironically using a "trans people identify as X? Well I identify as wacky thing Y!" joke was, along with being shitty, definitely the part where it's clear his writing was incredibly lazy and cynically targeted at the kind of people who would immediately welcome him back.

Like, he's a world famous comedian and the best he could come up with was watering down a fucking 7 year old 4chan shitpost about attack helicopters.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

I was watching Forged in Fire when one of the guys was saying "I want to have fun. If I have fun, I win".
    He won.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

This is why I enjoyed Strip Search, and Nick in particular as that was his attitude right from the start.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I remember there being a japanese reality show which had a thread in here which was pretty pleasant? You have a bunch of roommates hanging out in a house.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

I'm pretty sure every single person on Strip Search came up with this joke independently of each other and said it in their opening interviews.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I remember there being a japanese reality show which had a thread in here which was pretty pleasant? You have a bunch of roommates hanging out in a house.

Terrace House!

This discussion has been closed.