As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024: IT’S OVER

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    The hell kind of ending did I just watch

A dog ending I imagine.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    The hell kind of ending did I just watch

A dog ending I imagine.

Surely the greatest Easter egg ending in videogame history

steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Immediately subbed to jay_cee after that Castlevania 2 run. He sounds like a fun guy to watch.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    the races this year have been really good so far. lots of skill on display and a lot of change ups too.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I disagree, the Donkey Kong Country race was very one-sided.

But the Sonic Mania race, goddamn that was hype. Everyone had a chance for first place at some point or another.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I’m very excited for the X1-3 relay tomorrow.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm actually mad that the alligator didn't win.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The sonic mania race was great, but the sonic run was sublime.

Constant hype and pulling off crazy tricks left and right.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The Donkey Kong race was great

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Any employee who suggests that an auto-scroller in a Sonic game is a good idea should be fired and replaced, because they fundamentally don't understand the spirit of the Sonic games and shouldn't be on the project.

(and yes that goes for whoever on Sonic Team it was that suggested the plane auto-scroller in Sonic 3)

dang, 60k octopath traveller incentive just opened up.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

What would that be? Any% one character story? Final boss run?

Enlong wrote: »

from the bid index, "Single Story RTA (Tressa) run of Octopath Traveler". no idea what the means exactly but i'm sure someone will decipher it.

Wraith260 wrote: »

from the bid index, "Single Story RTA (Tressa) run of Octopath Traveler". no idea what the means exactly but i'm sure someone will decipher it.

Looks like it means doing one of the 8 character stories. Specifically, Tressa the Merchant. It’ll just mean doing her four chapters. Don’t know if they’ll recruit anyone else to fill out the team, or just go with her alone.

This Super Mario Bros 3Mix game is wild. Probably the most technically impressive rom hack I’ve ever seen.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Looks like it means doing one of the 8 character stories. Specifically, Tressa the Merchant. It’ll just mean doing her four chapters. Don’t know if they’ll recruit anyone else to fill out the team, or just go with her alone.

Recruit for sure. Too much power to be had there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    This Super Mario Bros 3Mix game is wild. Probably the most technically impressive rom hack I’ve ever seen.

I fuckin lost it seeing Reznor implemented on a goddamn NES

Really incredible work by captainsouthbird

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    My house rings with the sound of Mario super jumping on dudes

steam_sig.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It's completing Tressa's story, which is 4 chapters. They will be recruiting Cyrus, Olberic, and Therion assuming I'm still up to date on my strats. If I'm not, it'll be H'aanit over Olberic.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize this was happening till a few moments ago and now I feel bad.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Tcheldor wrote: »

It's completing Tressa's story, which is 4 chapters. They will be recruiting Cyrus, Olberic, and Therion assuming I'm still up to date on my strats. If I'm not, it'll be H'aanit over Olberic.

Yeah, I figured Cyrus in particular since he's right next to her and is really good for killing things.

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Have had this on in the background when I'm not specifically watching runs and I have to say that the couch commentary and runners are in general so much more loose and laid back this time around.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Guacamelee 2 looks really damn fun. Plus this runner is pretty funny and seems to be really on point. I have had the first one unplayed for a while. Think I am going to start it this weekend.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Yeah, I figured Cyrus in particular since he's right next to her and is really good for killing things.

The run uses hired help and soul stones mostly. Cyrus is more for evasive maneuvers.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    and they've passed $500K!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Just tuned in to Timesplitters 2, 14 minutes in, and nobody was playing. Empty player chairs for at least a minute, nothing happening on screen. Then they both showed up and didn't give any explanation as to what was going on. What was that? Autoscroller type situation, wait on an event?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Just tuned in to Timesplitters 2, 14 minutes in, and nobody was playing. Empty player chairs for at least a minute, nothing happening on screen. Then they both showed up and didn't give any explanation as to what was going on. What was that? Autoscroller type situation, wait on an event?

You have to tail an npc without getting caught, presumably those are spots they sat in where they count as in range of tailing without being caught and just waited for the objective to complete to finish the level.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Speedrun "performance art" is pretty lame.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

You have to tail an npc without getting caught, presumably those are spots they sat in where they count as in range of tailing without being caught and just waited for the objective to complete to finish the level.

Ahh ok cool.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Ahh ok cool.

If it's that long though, have them do a casual race of another game in the meantime.

i think it's been mentioned already but the silent hill 2 run is a real standout of the event for me so far. really entertaining run

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Not to disrespect any runner's game, or the runs themselves (because everything goes toward charity), but I kind of loathe some of these runs that take up a prime timeslot when they take 3-5+ hours to complete.

How many GDQs in a row do we need to see people run Ocarina of Time, or Majora's Mask or any LoZ game since the N64 era? I realize that there's different categories for speedruns too like any% glitch/no glitch, 100%, etc., but I feel like if we're going to do these games again, making them more interesting as something like a race would be a little more exciting than just a single runner with some couch commentary. I feel like that's what makes some of DKC and Super Metroid runs a bit more exciting (unless one person just takes a runaway lead early on).

The LttP/Super Metroid random generator hack is also great for breathing something fresh to a game that's been run a million times.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    It's kind of amusing to me that I can be riveted by a 6-7 hour run of a rpg like chrono trigger or some final fantasy. But 3-4 hour zelda runs bore me to tears.

It's probably mainly due to having played most of the RPGs, so I can appriciate the amount of planning and execution that goes into it. Zelda games always seem to boil down into a disjointed mess where they roll through walls constantly with no real context for what is happening. Not having played the 3D zelda games I lack the context to enjoy it.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    It's kind of amusing to me that I can be riveted by a 6-7 hour run of a rpg like chrono trigger or some final fantasy. But 3-4 hour zelda runs bore me to tears.

It's probably mainly due to having played most of the RPGs, so I can appriciate the amount of planning and execution that goes into it. Zelda games always seem to boil down into a disjointed mess where they roll through walls constantly with no real context for what is happening. Not having played the 3D zelda games I lack the context to enjoy it.

My thoughts exactly. When @Dehumanized linked me the 7th Saga speedrun, I pretty much watched that thing start to finish, only skipping the level grinding portions, but it amazed me how they strategically took on the boss fights at such a low level. And then I realized how they could beat the game at Lv. 25 when I saw the Lux tune-up glitch. :P

I'm honestly looking forward to the FFIV run later, and I'll go back and watch the Super Mario RPG run as well.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

The Majora's Mask run on day 1 was really great. Twilight Princess has way less jank, apparently.

edited January 2019
    FFIV this year is free enterprise, too, so it should be very different from any previous GDQ showcased runs.

edit: btw folks Virtual Hydlide is being shown by Gyre late tonight and if you want to see some truly... mindboggling... 1995 3d graphics, tune in. Gyre's a great runner and super informative.

Dehumanized on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The turn-based stuff like Final Fantasy requires a lot of really bizarre stuff that Zelda games don't usually involve that makes it fascinating to watch the runners execute, like having to basically count your steps for three or four straight hours or you throw the run away immediately because you de-synced some RNG seed.

I'm really stoked for the X 1-3 relay coming up. The only thing that would make it suck is if someone pulls really far ahead super early.

Couch seems a man short for Octopath run.

I hope they read my donation for Octopath. I used the alias Cyrus for it.